From: Trevor Chambers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 93 14:41 GMT

COMMITTEE: methodology

TOPIC: definition of popular metrics

CONTENT: They are here to stay. Should we attempt to strengthen the 
definitions?

ACTUAL MESSAGE: Can PBWG realistically dispense with commonly used measures 
such as speed-up and performance per node?

There is the danger that PBWG could isolate itself from the main stream of 
computer users, or that others will use the PBWG benchmarks and report the 
popular metrics anyway.

One possibility is to acknowledge these metrics and to attempt to strengthen 
the definitions.

Relevant to this matter is the degree to which the suggested PBWG metrics are 
used and understood by potential users and people involved in procurement.
What information do we have on this matter? 

I propose that the committee takes a considered view on the use of popular 
metrics.

Trevor Chambers

pp Ed Brocklehurst