Subject: For Sale: CM-5

From: "Michael F. McCarthy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 13:02:12 -0400

PLEASE FORWARD THIS NOTE TO ANYONE THAT YOU BELIEVE 
   MAY HAVE AN INTEREST IN PURCHASING THIS SYSTEM!
__________________________________________________________________________

Case #3971 -- FOR SALE - CM5 with 128 nodes and SDA --
__________________________________________________________________________

The MIT Lab for Computer Science offers for bid sale a Thinking Machines 
CM-5 Connection Machine (described below).  

Bids to purchase this system are requested from all interested parties,
(with a minimum expected Bid of $25,000).

All bids must be received at the MIT property office by 5:00 PM (EDT)
on Monday, 8/Sept/97.

The machine must be moved from MIT within 10 business days of  acceptance
of the bid. All expenses and arrangements for moving will be made by 
purchaser.

The system consists of:

1) 128 PN CM-5 w/ Vector Units, 256 Network addresses-Part 
          No.CM5-128V-32F
2) Scalable Disk Array with Twenty-four(24) 
          1.2 GB Drives-Part No.CM5-SA25F
3) Control Processor Interface-Part No. CM5-CPI
4) S-Bus to Diagnostics Network Interface-Part No. CM5-SDN
5) S-Bus Network Interface Board(5)-Part No. CM5-SNI

[N.B. On July 16 1997 power was turned off.The machine can be 
turned back on in its present location only until Friday, 22/AUG/97 
when wiring changes are planned in that machine room.]
 
"The Institute reserves the right to reject any or all offers.MIT makes no
warranty of any kind, express or implied, with respect to this equipment.
This includes fitness for a particular purpose. It is the responsibility of 
those making an offer to determine, before making an offer, that the
equipment meets any conditions required by those making that offer.Thank you."
__________________________________________________________________________

Submit bids for Case #3971  
                before Monday, 8/Sept/97, 5:00 PM (EDT) to: 
*****************************************************************
* Michael F. McCarthy       * Phone:  (617)253-2779             *
* MIT Property Office       * FAX:    (617)253-2444             *
* E19-429                   * E-Mail: [email-masked]          * 
* 77 Massachusetts Ave.     *                                   *
* Cambridge, MA 02139       *                                   *
*****************************************************************
__________________________________________________________________________

SYSTEM HISTORY 

The Project SCOUT CM-5 is housed in M.I.T's Laboratory for Computer 
Science (L.C.S). The machine was acquired in 1993 as part of the the ARPA 
sponsored project SCOUT, and used to accomplish the stated aim of the 
project of "fermenting collaborations between users, builders and
networkers of massively parallel computers". The CM-5 computer, developed
and manufactured by Thinking Machines Corporation, evolved from earlier
T.M.C. computers (the CM-2 and the CM-200)with an architecture targeted 
toward teraflops performance for large, complex data intensive applications.

The MIT hardware consists of a total of 128 32MHz SPARC  microprocessors,
each with 4 proprietary floating point arithmetic units and 32Mb of local
memory attached to it. The system also includes a subsidiary 25Gb parallel 
file system for handling high volume parallel application I/O. 
 
The system was operated under full maintenance contract 
from May of 1993 until March 20 1997.

On July 16 1997 power was turned off. The machine can be turned back on
in its present location only until Friday, 22/AUG/97 when wiring changes 
are planned in that machine room.

The system was used primarily for research but a description of an 
instructional use made of the machine can be found at
     http://www-erl.mit.edu/eaps/seminar/iap95/cnh/CM5Intro.html

Web sites about other CM5 sites and general information include:
     http://www.math.uic.edu/~hanson/cmg.html
     http://www.acl.lanl.gov/UserInfo/cm5admin.html
     http://ec.msc.edu/CM5/

__________________________________________________________________________
FUTURE MAINTENANCE

People submitting bids may wish to discuss future maintenance issues
with a company that is a present maintainer of CM5 Equipment, 
Connection Machine Services. 
*****************************************************************
* Larry Stewart                * Phone:  (505) 820-1470         *
*                              * Cell:   (505) 690-7799         *
* Account Executive            * FAX:    (505) 820-0810         *
* Connection Machines Services * Home:   (505) 983-9670         *
* 1373 Camino Sin Salida       * Pager   (888) 712-4143         *
* Santa Fe, NM 87501           * E-Mail: [email-masked]  *
*****************************************************************
__________________________________________________________________________

Michael F. McCarthy
MIT Property Office
E19-429
77 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02139
Ph   (617)253-2779
Fax  (617)253-2444