Subject: FW: Returned mail: User unknown

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 97 20:43:00

Dear Collegues,

Firstly, my apologies if you recieve this email twice.

An email discussion group is being set up to discuss the design and
implementation of a set of HPF  benchmarks - it is being carried out
under the auspices of the ParKBench initiative (see 
http://www.netlib.org/parkbench/) led by Tony Hey at the University of
Southampton and Jack Dongarra at the University of Tennessee at
Knoxville.

At present the following researchers and interested parties are 
pre-subscribed onto the list:

Mark Baker <[email-masked]>
Guy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Vladimir Getov <[email-masked]>
Ken Hawick <[email-masked]>
Bryan Carpenter <[email-masked]>
John Merlin <[email-masked]>
Chuck Koebel <[email-masked]>
David Presberg <[email-masked]>
John Prentice <[email-masked]>
Hon Yau <[email-masked]>
Subhash Saini <[email-masked]>
Ron Perrott <[email-masked]>

If you are interested in subscribing to the list send an email to
"[email-masked]" with  "subscribe parkbench-hpf" in the body
of the email text.

Here is a further list of Mojor-domo commands for reference.

-- subscribe <list> [<address>] - Subscribe yourself (or <address> 
   if specified) to the named <list>.
-- unsubscribe <list> [<address>]  -Unsubscribe yourself (or <address>
   if specified) from the named <list>.
-- get <list> <filename> -Get a file related to <list>.
-- index <list> - Return an index of files you can "get" for <list>.
-- which [<address>] - Find out which lists you (or <address> if specified) are on.
-- who <list> - Find out who is on the named <list>.
-- info <list> - Retrieve the general introductory information for the named <list>.
-- lists - Show the lists served by this Majordomo server.
-- Help - Retrieve this message.
-- End - Stop processing commands (useful if your mailer adds a signature).

Commands should be sent in the body of an email message to "Majordomo".
Commands in the "Subject:" line NOT processed.

If you have any questions or problems, please contact "Majordomo-Owner".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ParKBench HPF Group

Aims

The aims of the ParkBench HPF group is to discuss, design, implement,
test and release a set of HPF  benchmarks that satisfies the needs of
applications developers and vendors. The codes that are developed 
should be capable of being used to compare different platforms running
HPF as well as and different vendor implementations HPF. 

Initial Objective

The initial objective of  Parkbench HPF group is to produce a proposal
to present before the HPF Forum at  the "The First Annual HPF User Group
Meeting" on February 24-26, 1997 in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The  support
and assistance of the HPFF will greatly enhance the credibility of the
work undertaken by the  Parkbench HPF group.

Methodology

It is anticipated that the basic design and implementation methodology
used for the HPF benchmarks will  closely follow that previously used by
Parkbench to develop, and then release, the Message Passing  (MPI/PVM)
benchmark codes (http://www.netlib.org/parkbench/).

The Parkbench codes are split up into three catorgories:

  --  Low Level - These codes are used to measure low level machine
  performance parameters, such as  inter-processor bandwidth and peak
  processor computational performance.
  -- Kernels - These codes comprise of what would be considered the core
  kernels of applications, such as  a matrix reduction or an FFT.
  -- Compact applications - These codes are complete user applications
  which are used to assess the  performance of the parallel machines on
  "real" applications. 

The existing ParkBench benchmark codes are predominantly used for
comparing different parallel platforms, rather than implementations 
of MPI or PVM on a particular platform (they can be used for this
purpose if needs are such).

Within the Parkbench HPF version of the benchmarks it is likely that an
important usage of the codes will be the analysis of different vendor
releases of HPF on a parallel platform. This particular emphasis, coupled
with the factor that many of the MP low-level codes cannot easily mapped
onto equivalent HPF versions, means that it is probable that the HPF
low-level codes will consist of a mixture of codes - some being similar
to the existing MP codes and others which can be used to assess
important aspects that influence the efficiency of HPF implementations
by a particular vendor, answering questions such as:

  -- How well does the system deal with regular communications? 
  -- Does the system use ghost regions for the regular case? 
  -- How well does the system deal with irregular communications?
  -- Does the system cache pre-computed communication schedules ?
  -- Efficiency of common array intrinsics.

Working Groups

The discussion on the HPF codes will be led by the following people:

Low-Level		- Mark Baker, University of Portsmouth, UK 
Kernels			- Chuck Koebel, Rice University, USA (to be confirmed).
Compact Applications	- Subhash Saini, NAS, NASA, USA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------
Dr Mark Baker
DIS, University of Portsmouth, Hants, UK
Tel: +44 1705 844285
E-mail: [email-masked]
Date: 1/22/97 - Time: 8:43:01 PM
URL http://www.sis.port.ac.uk/~mab/
-------------------------------------