Subject: Publication Status Report

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 16:47:00 GMT

PROGRESS REPORT ON PARKBENCH PUBLICATION
             ----------------------------------------

I am pleased to report, after some delays and much hard work, that the
Parkbench report has been revised and was returned to the Editor of 
Scientific Programming (Ron Perrott) on 14th Feb. 1994. I will pass on 
to you the substance of his response when I receive it.

Negotiations over copyright are now in the hands of Jack Dongarra, and
he reports to me that Wiley will not do a deal with us comparable with
the one they did with Rice over the HPF Report. This is unfortunate as 
I thought it would make things easy for us to follow this precedent, but
it seems not to be possible. My view is that the our non-negotiable base 
position should be that we retain the right to distribute electronically 
from UTK and Southampton (and perhaps other) servers, and that it might 
be enough for this copying to be regarded on the same basis as Xeroxing,
and with the same restrictions. But some of you may not wish there to
be any restrictions on electronic distribution. I have asked Jack to 
report on the current status of the negotiations. Comments, opinions 
and ideas to pbwg-comm please.

Remember our next meeting is on 28th March in Knoxville which is the day
before a 3-day SPEC meeting, also in Knoxville.

Best regards,

                         Roger Hockney

                 (Chairman PARKBENCH Committee)

---

From: "Michael W. Berry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 23:38:45 -0500

>              PROGRESS REPORT ON PARKBENCH PUBLICATION

  Roger,  we can always maintain a version of the paper as a UT
  tech. report for public-domain downloading from Netlib.  Perhaps
  there should be something like "PARKBENCH Working Reports" which
  are a series in performance analysis, application descriptions,
  algorithm research, etc.. using the suite of codes.   

  Regards,
  Mike