Subject: Parkbench name

From: [email-masked] (Charles Grassl)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 93 11:22:12 CDT

The name "Parkbench" should be acceptable for the Parallel Benchmarks
Working Group.  Should we, the Parkbench group, register this name?

I conducted our standard search of trademark databases, and the results
of that search suggest that Parkbench would be available for use as a
trademark.  We need to understand, however, that these searches are not
perfect, and that that a conflict with the rights of another user with
respect to that trademark may still occur, even if unlikely.

The reason for the inaccuracy in the database searches is that
trademarks can be used in the vernacular and not registered.  For
example, Parkbench may already be used by another group or organization
without being registered.  Such a group could still have rights to the
name even though it is not registered.

Charles Grassl
Cray Research, Inc.
Eagan, Minnesota  USA

---

From: [email-masked] (Bodo Parady - PDE Performance)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 93 09:42:35 PDT

Has anyone posted a query on comp.arch and comp.benchmarks to see if Parkbench
is being used?  If not, I would be happy to post it.

Bodo Parady                   | (415) 336-0388
SMCC, Sun Microsystems        | [email-masked]
Mail Stop MTV15-404           | Domain:  [email-masked]
2550 Garcia Ave.              | Alt:  [email-masked]
Mountain View, CA  94043-1100 | FAX: (415) 968-4873

---

From: [email-masked] (Bodo Parady - PDE Performance)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 93 16:49:09 PDT

There is reference to PARBENCH in the literature.  Whether this is
too close legally  is another question.

					Bodo Parady
					SMCC, Mountain View