Subject: ParkBench benchmarks

From: David W. Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 93 09:28:49 -0500

Jack,
	I've just got a message from Todd Letsche about submitting
codes to ParkBench. As far as the compact applications are concerned
I have asked people to only submit a submission form describing the
application so that we can choose which ones we want in the suite.
Only after this initial vetting will we ask people to actually send
us code. The purpose of this vetting is as follows:
   1. It saves people the trouble of putting together their code in
      a transportable form. I expect we'll receive many more submissions than
      we actually accept.
   2. We must avoid peolpe just sending us codes (without documentation)
   3. We must make sure codes are suitable.
   4. We must make sure that a minimal amount of work is required by us to test
      and run them.
I don't understand the necessity of hav9ng the codes before SC93. Even if
we have the codes we won't be able to do anything useful with them in the
next 2 weeks.

David

---

From: [email-masked] (Pat Worley)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 93 13:48:22 EDT

> we have the codes we won't be able to do anything useful with them in the

I concur. In any case, there is likely to be some iteration for the first few 
submissions to establish what is/is not acceptable in a compact application
code. If we are asking people to alter already working (and useful) 10K lines
of code in order to include in the benchmark suite, we should know exactly
what we need and why. 

Pat

---

From: Vladimir Getov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 93 11:28:40 GMT

> we have the codes we won't be able to do anything useful with them in the
I think that a similar vetting procedure should be adopted for all
ParkBench codes. This would help a lot to assemble a consistent benchmark
suite with regard to the sequential and parallel versions of every 
benchmark (PVM, MPI, HPF, etc. including versions, subsets, etc.), the 
style of time measurement and reporting, the input/output and Make-files, 
the README files, etc.

Pehaps a short `Guidelines for submission' is what we need. 

Vladimir

[email-masked]                  Dr Vladimir Getov 
Tel: +44 703 593368                  Dept of Electronics and Computer Science
Fax: +44 703 593045                  University of Southampton 
                                     Southampton SO9 5NH, U.K.