Subject: Parkbench results

From: [email-masked] (Charles Grassl)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 16:49:12 -0500 (CDT)

To all;

We are getting off track with these benchmarks.  The intention of
Parkbench is not to test conformance or standards.  Rather, we would
like to measure various performance aspects of MPP systems.

If we tacitly intending to test PVM, then we should write a genuine
test for for the entire PVM library or all aspect of Fortran.  Does
such a test suite exists?  If it does not, then this would be a
worthwhile task.

If we are intending to measure specific performance features, then the
tests should be kept as simple and succinct as possible.

Charles Grassl
Cray Research, Inc.

---

From: Mark Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 17:09:57 -0400

RE: Reply to Charles Grassl email.

> like to measure various performance aspects of MPP systems.

This is very true.

> such a test suite exists?  If it does not, then this would be a

I think a suite for testing PVM is maybe appropriate, but 
surely not under PARKBENCH !

> tests should be kept as simple and succinct as possible.

This was the original aim, but things seemed to have been side tracked
recently. Hopefully, we can sort this and other issues at the next
PARKBENCH meeting in Knoxsville at the beginning of November.

Mark

> Cray Research, Inc.
_____________________________________________________________________________
Dr Mark Baker
NPAC, Syracuse University                       Tel: +1 315 443 2083
111 College Place                               Fax: +1 315 443 1973
Syracuse                                        Email: [email-masked]
New York 13244-4100, USA                     WWW URL: http://www.npac.syr.edu/
_____________________________________________________________________________