Subject: Message from Roger Hockney

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 93 15:05:39 GMT

A PERSONAL MESSAGE FROM YOUR CHAIRMAN
             -------------------------------------
I first apologise for using the Parkbench forum for what is partly a
personal matter, but it does seem a good way to reach anyone who might
be interested. After working in the US for about 9 years (1962 to 1970
at Stanford, NASA Langley and IBM Yorktown Heights) I have accumulated
37 US Social Security credits, which is 3 credits short of the minimum
of 40 required to claim a US pension. I am therefore looking for some
way of making up these missing credits, this year and/or next, by way
of temporary employment of about a month (or whatever is necessary to 
gain 3 credits, I don't know exactly). The employment must, of course, 
be such that social security contributions are deducted from pay.

It occurs to me that some members of Parkbench might be at institutions
with visitors programs, who would be interested in my visiting and
working with their staff, and/or lecturing on, topics such as:

   (1) Parallel program performance characterisation (parametrisation) 
       leading performance OPTIMISATION.
   (2) Preparation of parallel programs, in particular PIC codes.
   (3) Running and interpretation of parallel benchmark results,
       leading to performance PREDICTION based on a small number
       of parameters.
   (4) Giving a course of lectures on "Parallel Computer Architecture,
       Algorithms and Performance Evaluation".
   (5) Any other related topic, of particular interest to the employer.
       I am quite flexible.

If there is anyone out there interested to pursue this idea, or who has
suggestions please communicate preferably via my e-mail:

                     [email-masked]
or by letter to:
                     4 Whitewalls Close
                     Compton
                     NEWBURY, RG16 0QG
                     England, UK
   
             Voice phone:   +44 (635) 578679
             FAX: same but speak to me first

                     Best Regards

                        Roger Hockney

      (Emeritus Professor of Computer Science, Reading University, 
            Visiting Professor, Southampton University)