Subject: PDS release

From: "Michael W. Berry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1993 21:17:23 -0400

Subject:  XNetlib ver. 3.4 Released

    Announcing the release of XNetlib ver. 3.4

    What it is -

      Xnetlib is a new version of netlib recently developed at the
      University of Tennessee and Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
      Unlike netlib, which uses electronic mail to process requests
      for software, xnetlib uses an X Window graphical user 
      interface and a socket-based connection between the user's
      machine and the xnetlib server machine to process software
      requests.  Xnetlib is available to anyone who has access to 
      the TCP/IP Internet.

      Xnetlib provides access to files and a whois style database 
      residing on the Netlib server at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
      Xnetlib also connects to two other xnetlib servers, one at
      Rice University, and the other at the Army Research Laboratory.
      Our intention is to release the xnetlib server code in a few
      months. 

      New to this release is the Performance Database Server (described
      more fully below) and a conference database.

      Xnetlib requires the Athena widget set (Xaw), however, precompiled 
      executables are available.

    How to get it -

      By anonymous ftp from netlib2.cs.utk.edu in xnetlib/xnetlib3.4.shar.Z

      By email, send a message to [email-masked] containing the line:
        send xnetlib3.4.shar from xnetlib

      Precompiled executables for various platforms are also available.
      For information get the index file for the xnetlib library:
        via anonymous ftp from netlib2.cs.utk.edu get xnetlib/index
        via email send a message to [email-masked] containing the line:
          send index from xnetlib

    If you have any questions, please send mail to [email-masked]

    -----------------------------------------------------------------

    PDS: A Performance Database Server

    The process of gathering, archiving, and distributing computer
    benchmark data is a cumbersome task usually performed by computer
    users and vendors with little coordination.  Most important, there 
    is no publicly-available central depository of performance data 
    for all ranges of machines from personal computers to supercomputers.

    This Xnetlib release contains an Internet-accessible performance 
    database server (PDS) which can be used to extract current benchmark 
    data and literature.  The current PDS provides an on-line catalog of 
    the following public-domain computer benchmarks: Linpack Benchmark, 
    Parallel Linpack Benchmark, Bonnie Benchmark, FLOPS Benchmark, Peak 
    Performance (part of Linpack Benchmark), Fhourstones and Dhrystones, 
    Hanoi Benchmark, Heapsort Benchmark, Nsieve Benchmark, Math Benchmark, 
    Perfect Benchmarks, and Genesis Benchmarks.  Rank-ordered lists of 
    machines per benchmark available as well as relevant papers and 
    bibiliographies.  A browse facility allows the user to extract a 
    variety of machine/benchmark combinations, and a search feature permits 
    specific queries into the performance database.  PDS does not reformat 
    or present the benchmark data in any way that conflicts with the
    original methodology of any particular benchmark; it is thereby
    devoid of any subjective interpretations of machine performance.
    PDS is invoked by selecting the "Performance" button in the Xnetlib
    Menu Options.  Questions and comments for PDS should be mailed to
    "[email-masked]."