Subject: Intro or Conclusion for Parkbenech document

From: Tony Hey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1993 15:47:33 +0100 (BST)

Some thoughts on the Introduction/Conclusion of the
Parkbench document

In order for the Parkbench suite to be acceptable to vendors
and to have enough data to be valuable we must ensure that no
unreasonable demands are made for compliance. I suggest that,
certainly as an initial strategy, we emphasize the need for
data on the low-level and kernel benchmarks. The low-level
parameters measured by the low-level benchmarks will in any
case need to be known by each of the vendors and are non-contentious
and easy to measure. The kernel benchmark suite contains codes
similar to what one expects to find in most parallel libraries
from vendors: it would therefore not be a major effort to produce
optimized numbers for these kernels.

I therefore suggest we encourage take-up of Parkbench by stressing the
need for low-level and kernel results in the first instance. Some more
tolerance should be allowed as to whether or not vendors supply numbers
for all of the application areas represented in the compact application
section.

Tony Hey