Subject: Newsletter on Distributed and Parallel Computing

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Dec 1998 20:14:46 -0000

Dear Colleague,

as already announced a few weeks ago, this is now the very first issue of
our bi-monthly electronic Newsletter on Distributed and Parallel Computing,
DPC NEWS. 

!! If you want to receive DPC NEWS regularly, please just return this  !!
!! e-mail to [email-masked] with                                  !!
!!                                                                     !!
!!  subscribe newsletter    or    subscribe newsletter <email address> !!
!!  end                           end                                  !!
!!                                                                     !!
!! in the first two lines of the email-body (text area).               !!

This newsletter is a FREE service to the DPC Distributed and Parallel
Computing community. It regularly informs on new developments and results
in DPC, e.g. conferences, important weblinks, new books and other relevant
news in distributed and parallel computing.

We also keep all the information in the special newsletter section of our
webpage ( http://www.genias.de/dpcnews/ ) to provide a wealth of infos for 
the DPC community.

If you have any information which might fit into these DPC subjects, please
send it to me together with the corresponding weblink, for publication in
DPC News. We aim to reach a very broad community with this DPC Newletter.

With  Season's Greetings from GENIAS
Wolfgang Gentzsch, CEO and President

=====================================================================
      DPC NEWSletter on Distributed and Parallel Computing
                GENIAS Software, December 1998
                ------------------------------
                http://www.genias.de/dpcnews/

GENIAS NEWS:

EASTMAN CHEMICAL USES CODINE FOR MOLECULAR MODELING
Eastman Chemical uses commercial quantum chemistry programs, like Gaussian,
Jaguar, and Cerius2, to model chemical products, intermediates, catalysts,
etc. The simulation jobs take between 1 hour and 6 days to complete. 
Queuing software is an important part of keeping the processors working at 
full utilization, without being overloaded. Since October, with the new
CODINE release 4.2, Eastman has maintained over 95% CPU utilization on 
the available systems:   http://www.genias.de/dpcnews/

BMW USES CODINE AND GRD FOR CRASH-SIMULATION
At the BMW crash department, very complex compute-intensive PAM-CRASH
simulations are performed on a cluster of 11 compute servers and more than
100 workstations, altogether over 370 CPUs. CODINE and GRD have optimized
the utilization of this big cluster by distributing the load equally,
dynamically and in an application oriented way, transparent to the 45
users:   http://www.genias.de/dpcnews/

GRD MANAGES ACADEMIC COMPUTER CENTER
http://www.genias.de/dpcnews/

QUEUING UP FOR GRD AT ARL ARMY RESEARCH LAB
http://www.genias.de/dpcnews/

GENIAS ADDS DYNAMIC RESOURCE & POLICY MGMT TO LINUX
http://www.genias.de/dpcnews/

GRD STOPPS FLOODING SYSTEM WITH MANY JOBS
http://www.genias.de/dpcnews/

PaTENT MPI ACCELERATES MARC K7.3 FE ANALYSIS CODE
http://www.genias.de/dpcnews/  +  http://www.marc.com/Techniques/

CONFERENCES on DPC, Dec'98 - March'99:

- Workshop on Performance Evaluation with Realistic Applications (sponsored
  by SPEC), San Jose, CA USA, Jan 25 1999:
  http://www.spec.org/news/specworkshop.html
- ACPC99, 4th Int. Conf. on Parallel Computation, ACPC Salzburg, Austria,
  February 16-18 1999: http://www.coma.sbg.ac.at/acpc99/index.html
- MPIDC'99, Message Passing Interface Developer's and User's Conference,
  Atlanta, Georgia USA, March 10-12 1999: http://www.mpidc.org
- 9th SIAM Conf. on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing, San
  Antonio, Texas USA, March 22-24 1999: http://www.siam.org/meetings/pp99/
- 25th Speedup Workshop, Lugano, Switzerland, March 25-26 1999:
  http://www.speedup.ch/Workshops/Workshop25Ann.html
- CC99, 2nd German Workshop on Cluster Computing, Karlsruhe, Germany, March
  25-26 1999: http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/informati/RA/CC99
More on GENIAS Webpage. http://www.genias.de/dpcnews/

NEW DPC BOOKS:

- Parallel Computing Using Optimal Interconnections, Kequin Li, Yi Pan, Si
  Qing Zheng. Kluwer Publ 1998: http://www.mcs.newpaltz.edu/~li/pcuoi.html
- High-Performance Computing, Contributions to Society,T.Tabor(Ed.),1998: 
  http://www.tgc.com
- Special Issue on Metacomputing, W. Nagel, R. Williams (Eds.), Int. J.
  Parallel Computing, Vol. 24, No. 12-13, Elsevier Science 1998:
  http://www.elsevier.nl/locate/parco
More books on DPC on GENIAS Webpage:   http://www.genias.de/dpcnews/

DPC WEBPAGES:

- PRIMEUR: HPC electronic news magazine: http://www.hoise.com
- PRIMEUR List of ESPRIT Projects:
  http://www.hoise.com/CECupdate/contentscecdec98.html
- HPCwire, Email Newsletter: http://www.tgc.com/hpcwire.html/
- EuroTools, European HPCN Tools Working Group
  http://www.irisa.fr/eurotools
- PTOOLS, Parallel Tools Consortium: http://www.ptools.org
- TOP500: 500 fastest supercomputers: http://www.top500.org
- PROSOMA: Technology fair describing hundreds of European CEC funded
  projects: http://www.prosoma.lu/
- Links to Linux Cluster Projects: http://www.linux-magazin.de/cluster/
More DPC WebLinks:   http://www.genias.de/dpcnews/

NEWS ON HPC BENCHMARKS:

- STREAM, Memory Performance Benchmark from John McCalpin:
  http://www.cs.virginia.edu/stream/

GENIAS JOBS:

- For our CODINE/GRD Devel.Team: Software engineer with experience in GUI 
  development under OSF/Motif, Java and Windows, distributed computing,
  resource mgnt systems under Unix and NT:  http://www.genias.de/jobs/

CALL FOR PAPERS in upcoming Journals:

- Message Passing Interface-based Parallel Programming with Java: deadline
  Dec. 15 1999:   http://hpc-journals.ecs.soton.ac.uk/CPE/Special/MPI-Java

End of DPC Newsletter
==========================================================================