Subject: ParkBench Committee Meeting

From: "Erich Strohmaier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 11:57:35 -0500

Dear Colleague,

The ParkBench (Parallel Benchmark Working Group)
will meet in Knoxville, Tennessee on
May 9th, 1997.

The meeting site will be the Knoxville Downtown Hilton Hotel.
We have made arrangements with the Hilton Hotel in Knoxville.

  Hilton Hotel
  501 W. Church Street
  Knoxville, TN
  Phone:  423-523-2300

When making arrangements tell the hotel you are associated with
the Parallel Benchmarking or ParkBench. The rate about $79.00/night.
You can download a postscript map of the area by looking at
http://www.netlib.org/utk/people/JackDongarra.html.

You can rent a car or get a cab from the airport to the hotel.

We should plan to start at 9:00 am May 9th and finish about 5:00 pm.
If you will be attending the meeting please send me email so we can better
arrange for the meeting.

The format of the meeting is:

Thursday October 31th
 9:00 - 12.00  Full group meeting
12.00 -  1.30  Lunch
 1.30 -  5.00  Full group meeting

Please send us your suggestions for the agenda.

The objectives for the group are:
1.   To establish a comprehensive set of parallel benchmarks that is generally
     accepted by both users and vendors of parallel system.

2.   To provide a focus for parallel benchmark activities and avoid
     unnecessary duplication of effort and proliferation of benchmarks.

3.   To set standards for benchmarking methodology and result-reporting
     together with a control database/repository for both the benchmarks and
     the results.

The following mailing lists have been set up.

   [email-masked]         Whole committee
   [email-masked]          HPF subcommittee

Jack Dongarra
Erich Strohmaier

---

From: Roger Hockney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 12:28:50 +0100

Erich Strohmaier <[email-masked]> writes

>Please send us your suggestions for the agenda.

Agenda item and report to be submitted by Roger Hockney (leader of the
Low-Level subcommittee) and presented by Vladimir Getov (Westminster
University, UK):

Low-Level subcommittee: 
Report on problems with the COMMS benchmarks, and the presentation to
the committee of a revised version of COMMS1 (MPI).

>     together with a control database/repository for both the benchmarks and
What happened to the 4th objective:

 4.   To make the benchmarks and results freely available in the public
      domain

I feel that this is a very important aspect of the Parkbench activity
which distinguishes it in an important way from some other benchmarking
initiatives.  In my opinion we should not lose it.
-- 
Roger Hockney.  Checkout my new Web page at URL   http://www.minnow.demon.co.uk
University of   and link to my new book: "The Science of Computer Benchmarking"
Westminster UK  suggestions welcome. Know any fish movies or suitable links?