Subject: Workshop on Performance Evaluation

From: PEPS Conference Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 16:52:14 +0000 (GMT)

Workshop on Performance Evaluation and 
	            Benchmarking of Parallel Systems
                    ================================

                           15/16 December 1994

                              Scarman House
                          University of Warwick

A joint workshop of various parties that are involved in 
the performance evaluation of high-performance computing systems 
will be held at the University of Warwick (Coventry, England) on 
December 15--16, 1994. Participants will include EuroBen, PARKBENCH, 
and PEPS.

===========================================================================
                          Preliminary Schedule
===========================================================================

THURDAY 15th December
---------------------

REGISTRATION & WELCOME

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

10:30 - Project Overviews (Chair: Graham Nudd)

Aad van der Steen,  ACCU-EuroBen, The Netherlands   
"Status and recent results of the EuroBen Benchmark"

Claude Lemoine, Thomson ASM, Sophia Antipolis, France
"PEPS Overview"  

Tony Hey, M. Baker, V. Getov, A. Dunlop, University of Southampton, England 
"The PARKBENCH and GENESIS Benchmark Suites: Status and Future"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

12:30      LUNCH

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

2:00 - (Chair: Aad van der Steen)

Francois Manchon, Simulog, Sophia Antiplolis, France
"The PEPS Modelling Tools"

Gilles Kempf, Electricite de France, Clamart, France
"Modelling and simulation of scientific programs on a CM-5 with MODARCH"

Yasumasa Kanada, University of Tokyo, Japan
"Benchmarking Ultrafast Random Number Generators"

Gerrit van der Velde, NEC Benelux, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
"SX-4 overview" (Title to be confirmed)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

3:30      COFFEE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

4:00 - (Chair: Aad van der Steen)

Roger Hockney, University of Warwick and Southampton, UK
"Computational Similarity"

David Snelling, University of Manchester, UK
"Computational Similarity:A Case Study of Shallow on the KSR-1"

Erich Strohmaier, University Mannheim, Mannheim, Germany
"Statistical Analysis of NAS Parallel Benchmarks and LINPACK Results"

5:30 Discussion

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

7:00      DINNER

===========================================================================

FRIDAY 16th December
--------------------

9:00 - (Chair: Roger Hockney)

Parallel Systems Group, University of Warwick, UK
"Performance Prediction through Characterisation"

Adolfy Hoisie, Cornell TC, Ithaca, USA
"Algorithmic approach to performance evaluation and performance modelling"

Willi Schonauer, Universitat Karlsruhe, Germany
"A careful interpretation of simple kernel benchmarks yields the essential 
information about a parallel supercomputer"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

10:30      COFFEE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

11:00 - (Chair: Roger Hockney) 

MariaRita Nazzarelli, Intecs Systemi, PISA, Italy    
"Monitoring Methodology for Performance and Test Coverage Analysis"

M. Louter-Nool,  CWI, The Netherlands
(Title to be announced)

Vladimir Getov,  University of Southampton,  UK              
"Performance characterisation of cache memory effect",

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

12:30      LUNCH

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

2:00 - (Chair: David Snelling)

Claude Lemoine, Thomson ASM, Sophia Antipolis, France          
"PEPS Testcases"

Trevor Chambers,   National Physical Laboratory, UK       
     (Title to be announced)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

3:00      COFFEE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

3:30 - (Chair: David Snelling)

Vladimir Getov, Brandes, Chapman, Hey, Pritchard, University of Southampton
"A comparison of HPF-like systems"

Alistair Dunlop, University of Southampton, UK
"A Toolkit for Optimising Parallel Performance"

4:30 Discussion and Closing remarks

===========================================================================

REGISTRATION DETAILS:

The registration fee is #150 (Pounds Sterling) and as attendance is limited 
to 35 delegates. Please include payment with your registration form. 
Registration cannot be confirmed without payment.

Registration at the workshop will be in Scarman House on the morning of 
Thursday 15th December. Accommodation is in single rooms with en suite 
facilities in Scarman House. Accommodation on the 15th and meals on the 
15th-16th are included in the registration fee. Additional accomodation
is available on the evening of Wednesday 14th at a cost of #55 for bed and
breakfast, and #20 (Pounds Sterling) for dinner.

TRAVEL INFORMATION TO THE UNIVERSITY OF WARWICK:

There are frequent train services between London and Coventry (approximately 
at 30 minute intervals) and the travel time from London Euston station is 
about 75 minutes. The University is 3 miles from Coventry train station. 
There are usually plenty of taxis available. Birmingham International Airport 
has good connecting train services to Coventry (a journey of about 10 miles).

By car

	From the North M1, M69 follow the By-pass routes marked Warwick (A46), 
		then follow the signs to the University, which is on the 
		outskirts of COVENTRY.
	From the South M1, M45, A45 or M40, A46, follow the signs to the 
		University.
	From the East join the M1, then follow directions as for travel from 
		the North or the South.
	From the West M5, M42, A45, follow the signs for the University.

REGISTRATION FORM:

Name (and title): 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Affiliation:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Telephone:				Fax:
----------------------------------	---------------------------------------

Email:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

							   YES/NO

                   Workshop Attendance:         150   |     YES      |
(includes accomodation on 15th December               |              |
& meals during workshop).                             |              |
	Accomodation on Wednesday 14th:         55    |              |
               Dinner on Night of 14th:         20    |              |

Payment should be in UK Pounds Sterling by cheque or international money order,
drawn on a UK bank. Please make cheques payable to 'The University of Warwick'.
(Sorry, no credit cards).

For further information, or registration please contact:

Prof. Graham R. Nudd		    or;	Aad J. van der Steen
(PEPS Workshop)				EuroBen
Dept. of Computer Science		c/o Academic Computing 
University of Warwick			Centre Utrecht
Coventry CV4 7AL			Budapestlaan 6
England					3584 CD  Utrecht
Tel +44--203--523193			The Netherlands
Fax +44--203--525714			Tel +31--30--531444
Email [email-masked]		Fax +31--30--531633
        				Email [email-masked]