Subject: Bare kernels

From: [email-masked] (Charles Grassl)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 94 17:50:36 CST

I would like to see a "bare kernels" section which tests minimally
changed constructs.  These bare kernels are necessary in order to help
programmers working on KERNELS, not using the kernels.

In the discussion on Monday, 28 March, 1994, we listed the following
kernels:

    - Matrix benchmarks
    - Transpose
    - Dense LU factorization
    - QR decomposition
    - Matrix diagonalization

The kernels listed above each involve configuration specific
algorithms.  The performance of an algorithm is not useful for a low
level programmer.

We could test the PEs in a parallel system with the simple "bare
kernels" listed below:

    - Intrinsics
    - SAXPY
    - COPY
    - DOT PRODUCT
    - Unchanged matrix-vector multiplication
    - Unchanged matrix-matrix multiplication

An implementation of this test could be based on the MOD1AC program
from the EUROBEN benchmark.  This specific program is not exactly
appropriate for microprocessors because it assumes a linear model of
performance versus construct length al la vector processing.

Comments?
Discussion?

Regards,
Charles Grassl
Cray Research, Inc.
Eagan, Minnesota USA