Subject: PARKBENCH kernels

From: Vladimir Getov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 93 11:05:45 BST

During the workshop on Portability and Performance for Parallel 
Processing in Southampton a few weeks ago we had an informal discussion
with Leonard Johnsson (TMC) re: benchmark kernels. Currently the TMC
library routines cover:

1) Matrix utilities
	- Dense BLAS
	- Grid sparce BLAS
	- Arbitrary sparce BLAS

2) Solvers
	- Banded systems
	- Dense systems

3) Eigenanalysis

4) FFTs

These must be similar for Intel (Ed Kushner may wish to comment?) and
Cray (perhaps Charles Grassl could give some details?). 

An important question is: `How do they map onto our proposed PARKBENCH
kernels?' Jack said he could provide some of the matrix utilities. Are
there any details yet? We have from the GENESIS suite the following
solvers: SOR, CG, Multigrid. Can anyone add to FFT debate from the last
meeting? The validation is an interesting problem (e.g. FFT + reverse
FFT). Do we have suitable candidate codes for these?

Tony Hey and Vladimir Getov