Subject: Second Draft PARKBENCH Report

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 11:05:39 GMT

Second draft of PARKBENCH Report
                 A Message from Your Chairman
                  Roger Hockney, 13 Aug 1993
                 ----------------------------

In view of the committee's aim to agree on a second draft text at the 
meeting on August 23, 1993, it would help if each subcommittee leader
produces a draft of their chapter as LATEX files which fit into the 
standard framework that I laid out for the May 24th meeting.

The second draft will use the following files:

         (1) benrep2.tex  - control file for main report (2nd draft)
         (2) bencom1.tex  - command definition file (no additions received)
         (3) benref1.bib  - start of bibliography 

Additions to the command file and bibliography can be sent to me as files
bencom2.tex, benref2.bib etc.

The control file reads the following files which are to be provided
by the leader of each subcommittee:

         (4) intro1.tex  - Roger Hockney for whole committee
         (5) method4.tex - David Bailey for Methodology subcommittee
         (6) lowlev2.tex - Roger Hockney for the low-level subcommittee
         (7) kernel2.tex - Tony Hey for the kernel subcommittee
         (8) compac2.tex - David Walker for compact applications subcommittee
         (9) compil2.tex - Tom Haupt for compiler benchmarks subcommittee
         (10) conclu1.tex - Roger Hockney for whole committee

Provided all the above 10 files are present, the report should be able to be 
assembled by the commands:
                        latex benrep2
                        bibtex benrep2
repeated a few(?) times until latex stops complaining. Then printed with:
                        dvips -o benrep2.ps benrep2
                        lpr benrep2.ps
or the equivalent local dialects thereof. I give these instructions because
there were complaints last time that the document would not print properly.
The above recipe works on our Sun Unix system at Southampton.

Unlike last time, I would like to assemble the second draft at Southampton
to make sure everything works (there were problems with some symbols last
time when printed at utk). This means that I need by 19th August on e-mail
the following:

         (11) Roger Hockney's revision of his methodology draft
              in the light of the last meeting (first draft was method3.tex). 
              This second draft will be known as method4.tex.
         (12) David Bailey's editing of method4.tex which should
              include his rewrite of the section on Speedup. Or he can
              provide this separately.
         (13) Roger Hockney's second draft of lowlevel as file lowlev2.tex
         (14) Tony Hey's second draft of kernel benchmarks as file kernel2.tex
         (15) David Walker's second draft of compact appls. as file compac2.tex
         (16) Tom Haupt's second draft compiler benchmarks as file compil2.tex
         (17) I do not plan to write intro1.tex and conclu1.tex
              until just prior to the November meeting at Super93, Portland

I would be obliged if the named subcommittee leaders could sent their
contributions to   [email-masked]'   so that all may see them prior 
to the meeting, and I can try to assemble the whole second draft. The files
sent be e-mail should contain a three line comment header in the format:

%------------------------------------------------------------------------
%      PARKBENCH REPORT (second draft), File:        kernel2.tex
%------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realise this timetable may be unrealistic for some of our busy members, 
but please do what you can to follow it.
I shall try to send items (11) and (13) shortly after this.

As a special favour I would like Michael Berry to try to assemble the
second draft also at utk, and keep in touch with me by e-mail if things 
go wrong, hope that's OK. We then have a safety net.

                 Best wishes, Roger Hockney.