Subject: Mathematical Software Distrib. via CSNET

From: Elyse J. Krupnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu 26 Jul 84 16:39:04-PDT

We are in the process of starting to distribute matematical software
over the various electronic networks.  There is now a daemon reading
incoming mail, selecting the requested software, and sending that
software in a mail message back to the requester.  We invite you to be
one of the first to experiment and comment on the system.

Send mail of the form:
	send tred2 from eispack
to either:
	netlib@anl-mcs (if you are connected to Arpa/Mil network)
or:  research!netlib (if you are connected to the Unix network).

This gets you the code for routine x in library y and all routines x
calls, directly or indirectly.  To get just x itself, say "send
only..."
To get a table of contents:
	mail reserach!netlib  (or mail netlib@anl-mcs)
	send index
to get an index for a library y, append "for y."

Currently we offer routines from LINPACK, EISPACK, MINPACK,
Fullerton's special function FNLIB, the book by Forsythe, Malcolm,
and Moler (referred to as FMM), QUADPACK and a collection (called
GO) of golden oldies, like gaussq.  We plan to add Collected
Algorithms of the ACM, and recent research codes.  For programs too
large to mail, you'll have to contact the usual sources and get tapes.
To receive an up-to-date list, request the index.

A warning:  Arpanet mail sent to anl-mcs and Unix mail sent to
research works quickly, but when gateways between networks are involved
mail is frequently delayed by days and can even be lost.  If in doubt,
a few experiments may be needed to understand how your local mail
system is linked to the outside world.

Keep in mind what we have is a first step and in rough form.  For
example, documentation and test programs aren't available yet.  Have
fun, send comments and let us know if there are problems.
Jack Dongarra (312) 972-7246 , dongarra@anl-mcs
Eric Grosse (201) 582-5828, research!ehg
-------