Subject: NA Digest, V. 92, # 45

From: [email-masked] (NA-NET)
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 92 12:56:33 -0500

NA Digest   Sunday, November 29, 1992   Volume 92 : Issue 45

Today's Editor:

    Cleve Moler
    The MathWorks, Inc.
    [email-masked]

Today's Topics:

   LAPACK's Second Update
   Lanczos International Centenary Conference
   PASE 92 Workshop

Submissions for NA Digest: 
    Mail to [email-masked].

Information about NA-NET:
    Mail to [email-masked].

-------------------------------------------------------

From: LAPACK <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 92 09:51:47 -0500
Subject: LAPACK's Second Update

SUBJECT:  SECOND LAPACK UPDATE -- October 31, 1992

Our second "minor" update occurred on October 31, 1992.  The
version number of this update is 1.0b.  Instead of our previous
policy of only having the affected routines reflect the new version
number, we have decided that it is better to have all LAPACK routines
reflect the current version number with the date on the routine
indicating when it was last modified.   In this way, the user can
be assured that he has the most recent version of a specific routine.
For example, after this update if a routine does not say
version 1.0b then it could possibly be an outdated version.  You 
must refer to the date stamped on the routine in order to determine
when it was last modified.

As in our previous update, this update encompassed many minor corrections
to documentation, argument checking and so on.  In addition, a few
significant errors have been corrected.  Namely, a serious bug
was introduced in the 1.0a revision of SSPEVX/DSPEVX which has now
been fixed.  Also, a special version of ilaenv.f needed in the TESTING
and TIMING directories was inadvertently left out.  This special version
of ILAENV.f allows XLAENV.f to work correctly by influencing the
performance when input parameters (such as blocksize NB) are changed
in the input file.  It has now been included.

We have also noticed that a number of the driver routines (specifically
all of the -EVX drivers and xGESVX) have incorrect workspace requirements
specified (WORK for the real routines, and RWORK in the complex routines)
in the Argument sections of those routines.  One of the -CON routines,
xGTCON, also had WORK requirements specified incorrectly.  Please note
these changes.

Due to a user's suggestion, added functionality has been incorporated
into the expert driver routines that involve equilibration (xGESVX,
xGBSVX, xPOSVX, xPPSVX, xPBSVX).  Namely, the option FACT='F' now permits
the user to input a prefactored, pre-equilibrated matrix.  The testing
routines in TESTING/LIN/ that involve these routines have also been modified.

Several routines involving symmetric pivoting (SSYTRF,CSYTRF,CHETRF)
have also been improved.  For consistency the packed routine equivalents 
have also been changed.  The swapping in these routines now avoids
overlapping array references in the same loop.  The interchange blocks
in the inverse routines have also been combined as had already been done
in the factorization routines.

Check the errata lists in the release_notes for more information.

Via xnetlib, there is a tar file of changes that you can obtain and
simply untar on top of your existing LAPACK directory.  The file is
called revisions1.0b.tar.z.  The release_notes file contains details of
the changes made to specific routines.  The entire package available
in lapack.tar.z includes all revisions made in release 1.0a and release
1.0b.

Additional features included with version 1.0b of LAPACK:

 -- improved on-line manpages for LAPACK driver and computational routines
 -- on-line manpages for the Level 1, 2, and 3 BLAS
 -- improved functionality for the equivalence utility which aids in
    the conversion of LINPACK and EISPACK to LAPACK

The manpages are available as a compressed/tar file of troff files and
an equivalence program and may be obtained via xnetlib. A README file
of instructions is included with the files.

If you have any questions/comments please contact us at [email-masked].

Regards,

THE LAPACKERS

------------------------------

From: Moody Chu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 92 16:20:26 -0500
Subject: Lanczos International Centenary Conference

	CORNELIUS LANCZOS INTERNATIONAL CENTENARY CONFERENCE
                  	December 12-17,1993 
            	North Carolina State University 
		 	Raleigh, NC, USA

To celebrate the birth of Cornelius Lanczos in 1893, North 
Carolina State University together with other sponsors will 
hold an international conference from Sunday 12 December 
through Friday 17 December 1993. The conference will reflect 
the wide interests of Cornelius Lanczos in computational 
mathematics, theoretical physics, and astrophysics.

			PROGRAM

The program of the conference includes approximately twenty-one 
invited plenary speakers and twenty-five minisymposia which will 
deal with the research topics listed below.  The invited plenary 
papers and the minisymposium papers will be published in the 
proceedings of the conference. Also, the conference will include 
sessions of contributed papers in the form of twelve minute talks 
and poster sessions. The contributed talks and posters can be on 
any topic in the areas of computational mathematics, theoretical 
physics, and astrophysics.

			CALL FOR PAPERS

The closing date for receiving abstracts for the contributed papers
is 1 April 1993.  Please see FURTHER INFORMATION for how to submit
an abstract. 

	 	  	PLENARY SPEAKERS

Computational Mathematics:	

James W. Cooley		Lanczos and the FFT: 
			A discovery before its time		
Jane K. Cullum 		Lanczos algorithms for large scale 
			nonsymmetric and symmetric matrix 
			eigenvalue computations			
Roland W. Freund	The Look-Ahead Lanczos Process for 
			Nonsymmetric Matrices and Its Applications
Gene H. Golub		Extended Applications of the Lanczos 
			Algorithm in Matrix Computations			
Anne Greenbaum		The Lanczos and Conjugate Gradient 
			Algorithms in Finite Precision Arithmetic
Martin H. Gutknecht	The Lanczos Process and Pade Approximation 
Beresford N. Parlett 	Do we fully understand the symmetric 
			Lanczos algorithm yet?	
Pal Rozsa		On Generalized Band Matrices and 
			Their Inverses			
Youcef Saad		Convergence Analysis of the Lanczos 
			Algorithms for Eigenvalue Problems: 
			An Overview			
G. W. Stewart		Lanczos and Linear Systems			
John Todd		Reminiscences of Cornelius Lanczos

Theoretical Physics & Astrophysics:

James B. Hartle* 
Christopher J. Isham	Quantum Gravity	
Roger Penrose*
Tsvi Piran		Gamma Ray Bursts
John J. Stachel		Lanczos' Contributions to General Relativity
Yasushi Takahashi	Ignorable Coordinates and Collective Modes
Claudio Teitelboim
Kip S. Thorne
Michael S. Turner	The Remarkable Success Story of the 
			Big Bang Cosmology
John A. Wheeler

*To be confirmed.

			MINISYMPOSIA#

Computational Mathematics:

M. Berry 		Software for Lanczos-based Algorithms 
A. Bjorck 		Least Squares 
Dan Boley 		Control Applications 
D. Calvetti 		Moments in Numerical Analysis 
M.T. Chu & John Lewis	Eigenvalue Computations 
J. Cooley 		Development of the FFT 
T. Rivlin 		Chebyshev Polynomials 
R.J. Plemmons 		The FFT in Signal Processing 
H. Van der Vorst	Iterative Methods for Linear Systems 
E. Ortiz 		Tau Method 

Theoretical Physics & Astrophysics:

J. Blondin 		Computational Magnetohydrodynamics 
			in Astrophysics 
A. Kashlinsky	 	Galaxy Formation and Large-Scale 
			Structure of the Universe 
M. Scholer & D. Winske	Numerical Simulations of Collisionless 
			Space Plasmas 
C.M. Will 		Detection of Gravitational Radiation 
			from Astrophysical Sources 
J. Isenberg & V. Moncrief 
			Cauchy Problem of General Relativity 
D. Garfinkle		Cosmic Censorship 
P. Dolan & A.H. Taub	Lanczos H-tensor 
M. J. Gotay		Symplectic Techniques in Physics
K.V. Kuchar 		Canonical Quantum Gravity and 
			the Problem of Time 
J.J. Halliwell		Decoherence and the Foundations of 
			Quantum Mechanics 
L. Smolin		New Variables and Loop Quantization 
P.H. Frampton, T.W. Kephart & M. Sher 
			Black Hole Evaporation and Thermodynamics 
			SSC Physics
C. Carlson & A. Szczepaniak 
			Open Questions in Particle Theory 

# The advisory and organizing committees will be open to the 
consideration of a few additional minisymposia until 15 January 
1993.

			FINANCIAL SUPPORT

We have applied to the NSF for support of 50 to 100 advanced Ph.D. 
students or junior researchers to attend this conference.  Please
see FURTHER INFORMATION on how to apply for support.

			FURTHER INFORMATION

A first circular has been sent out through the SIAM, APS and GRG 
mailing list. A second circular giving details about the program 
and related information will be distributed in the Summer of 1993. 
If you wish to receive the second circular, please complete and 
return the reply form attached in the first circular, or write to:
 
		Cornelius Lanczos International Centenary
		Conference, Attn: Sheehan/Heggie, 
		NCSU, Box 7401, Raleigh, NC, 27695-7401, USA

or contact through e-mail:
		
		[email-masked]. 

A mail server has been set up to answer most your questions.  
Simply include the text "send information" in the subject line 
of your e-mail message. More information with instructions on how 
to submit an abstract, how to apply for financial support and etc. 
will automatically be forwarded to you.

			CONFERENCE ADMINISTRATORS

Computational Mathematics:	

Robert J. Plemmons (WFU) 	
Honorary Chairperson		

Moody T. Chu (NCSU)		
Co-Director			
		 
Theoretical Physics & Astrophysics:	

James W. York, Jr. (UNC)
Honorary Chairperson

J. David Brown (NCSU)
Co-Director

Donald C. Ellison (NCSU)
Co-Director

		ORGANIZING AND ADVISORY COMMITTEES

Computational Mathematics:

Moody T. Chu (NCSU)
Jane K. Cullum (IBM, NY)
Gene H. Golub (Stanford Univ.)
Martin H. Gutknecht (ETH-Zentrum)
Beresford N. Parlett (UC, Berkeley)
Robert J. Plemmons (WFU)

Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics:

Jacob D. Bekenstein (Hebrew Univ. of Jerusalem)
Charles R. Evans (UNC, Chapel Hill)
Werner Israel (Univ. of Alberta)
Tsvi Piran (Harvard-Smithsonian Ctr. for Astrophysics)
John Stachel (Boston Univ.)
Yasushi Takahashi (Univ. of Alberta)
James W. York, Jr. (UNC, Chapel Hill)

------------------------------

From: Diethelm Wuertz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 92 17:15:48 +0100
Subject: PASE 92 Workshop

     Third announcement and information for participants
          For late registration please contact:
     [email-masked]  *****  [email-masked]

                        PASE'92
               3'RD INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP
    ON PARALLEL APPLICATIONS IN STATISTICS AND ECONOMICS

        Prague, Czechoslovakia, December 7.-8. 1992

OBJECTIVE OF THE WORKSHOP:

The PASE'92 Workshop follows  previous  successful workshops, 
held  around the same  time last year in Zurich and two years 
ago in  Dublin.  The  purpose  of the  Workshop  is to  bring 
together  researchers  working  towards  applications  of new 
information processing systems in  statistics and  economics.
The Workshop  should  help to  identify the  theoretical  and 
application   areas   in   statistics  and  economics,  where 
important progress can be expected in the years to come.  The 
scope of the  Workshop is  mainly oriented towards artificial 
neural networks and related topics. Two main blocks appear in 
the program:

 a) neural networks theory and applications in general,
 b) neural network applications in banking and economics.

The Workshop includes invited survey lectures and contributed 
research presentations. There will be  also a possibility for 
poster presentation.  A post-Workshop  meeting on  December 9 
aims to continue existing joint  projects, to find  promising 
fields for future work and to develop collaborative projects.
On the first  day of the Workshop  a panel discussion will be 
organized  on   the   topic of   philosophical   aspects   of 
connectionism  and  modern   mathematical  methods.  A  panel 
discussion  will  also  be  organized  on  the role of neural
networks in the treatment of large data collections, and what 
our priorities  can or should be in the coming year.  A post-
Workshop tutorial of Professor Madan M. Gupta on fuzzy neural 
networks will be held on December 9 in the afternoon.

The Workshop  proceedings  will  be  published in the special 
issue  of  the  International  Journal  on  Neural  and Mass-
Parallel  Computing and  Information  Systems Neural  Network 
World in No. 6, Vol.  2 ,  which will be available during the 
Workshop.

ORGANIZATION:

The Workshop will be  organized  by the Institute of Computer 
and  Information  Science  (ICIS, Prague),  Interdisciplinary 
Project  Center  for  Supercomputing  (ETH, Zurich)   and the 
Statistical  Office of  the European  Communities  (EUROSTAT, 
Luxembourg),  with the  help of  Friedrich  Naumann Stiftung,
Czechoslovakia.   Special  thanks  are  due  to  Petr  Hajek, 
director  of  the  Institute  of  Computer  and   Information 
Science, and Mirko Novak,  editor-in-chief  of  the  Interna-
tional Journal  Neural Network World .

SPONSORS:

o   Friedrich Naumann Stiftung, Czechoslovakia
o   MasPar Distributor AG, Zurich
o   Parsytec Gmbh, Aachen
o   SINCO Ltd., Prague
o   Siemens-Albis AG, Zurich
o   Swiss Bank Corporation, Basel

INTERNATIONAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE:

Witeli Dunin-Barkowski Russia   John Frain  Ireland
Igor Grabec Slovenija           Madan M. Gupta  Canada
Robert Hecht-Nielsen USA        Leonidas Kioussis  Luxembourg
Rudolf Kober Germany            Olga Kufudaki  Czechoslovakia
George M. Papadourakis Greece   Goffredo G. Pieroni  Italy
Michael M. Richter Germany      Tamas Roska  Hungary
Alfred Scheidegger Switzerland  Michael G. Strintzis  Greece
Ivan Sujan  Czechoslovakia      Dieter Wenger  Switzerland
Hans Georg Zimmermann Germany

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:

Hynek Beran (chairman)  ICIS Prague
Martin Holena           ICIS Prague
Fionn Murtagh           Munotec Systems Dublin and Munich
Emil Pelikan            ICIS Prague
Vaclav Sebesta          ICIS Prague
Diethelm Wurtz          IPS ETH Zurich

CONTACT ADDRESS:

Hynek Beran
Institute of Computer and Information Science
Pod vodarenskou vezi 2
182 07 Prague 8, Czechoslovakia

    Phone:  00 42 2 815 3241, 00 42 2 815 3220
    Fax:    00 42 2 858 57 89
    E-mail: [email-masked]

Further information will be available from anonymous ftp:
ftp maggia.ethz.ch. (129.132.17.1)

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------