Subject: NA Digest, V. 92, # 41

From: [email-masked] (NA-NET)
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 92 16:12:44 -0500

NA Digest   Sunday, November 1, 1992   Volume 92 : Issue 41

Today's Editor:

    Cleve Moler
    The MathWorks, Inc.
    [email-masked]

Today's Topics:

    Change of Address for Bert Pohl
    Direct Poisson Solvers / Rapid Elliptic Solvers
    New Computational Science & Engineering Degree at Rice University
    Computational Problems in Liquid Crystals
    ICBGM'93: International Conference on Bond Graph Modeling
    Conference on Large Scale Optimization
    Dundee Biennial Conference 1993
    Householder Fellowship at ORNL
    Postdoctoral Position at SUNY Stony Brook
    Position at University of Waterloo
    Chairperson Position at West Virginia
    Contents: SIAM Computing

Submissions for NA Digest: 
    Mail to [email-masked].

Information about NA-NET:
    Mail to [email-masked].

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Bert Pohl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 92 10:10:11 EST
Subject: Change of Address for Bert Pohl

My new address is:

        Bert Pohl
        Department of Mathematics
        University of Queensland
        St. Lucia
        Brisbane, 4072
        Australia

Tel.:  ++61 - 7 - 365 3487
Fax.:  ++61 - 7 - 870 2272

------------------------------

From: Atul Chhabra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 92 14:47:05 EST
Subject: Direct Poisson Solvers / Rapid Elliptic Solvers

In 1975, Bank and Rose [1] proposed an O(N*N) method for solving Poisson or
Helmholtz equations on a two dimensional square grid. They showed that this
mathod was unstable with respect to round off errors and therefore it could
not be used in practice. The well known Poisson sovlers that work are the
O(N log N) cyclic reduction method of Buneman [2], the O(N log N) cyclic
reduction or Fourier analysis methods of Buzbee, Golub, and Nielson [3] and
the O(N log log N) Fourier analysis and cylic reduction method of Swarztrauber
[4]. These methods are also applicable to separable second order linear
elliptic partial differential equations. 

I have two questions:

1. Has more work been done since 1975 on the O(N*N) direct Poisson solver [1]
   to make it numerically stable? Or have other O(N*N) methods been proposed 
   since?

2. Concus and Golub [5], in 1973, proposed using the direct solvers for
   iteratively solving nonseparable elliptic equations. However, in order to 
   converge rapidly, this method required the coefficient to vary smoothly
   and to satisfy
     
                 coeff_max - coeff_min
     -----------------------------------------------   << 1.
     2 * PoissonEigenval_min + coeff_max + coeff_min

   I have an application where coeff_max is of the order of 10^4, coeff_min
   is zero, and the minimum eigenvalue of the discrete Poisson operator is 
   close to zero. Therefore, using the Concus and Golub method [5] results in
   very very slow convergence. 

   Has this kind of problem been addressed by direct solvers? Has there been 
   any recent work on solving nonseparable elliptic equations using direct 
   Poisson/Helmholtz solvers? Of course, I know of multigrid methods,
   conjugate gradient methods, and Chebyshev acceleration? I am looking for
   direct or almost direct methods for nonseparable equations.

[1] R.E. Bank and D.J. Rose, "An O(N*N) method for solving constant coefficient
    boundary value problems in two dimensions," SIAM Journal of Numerical
    Analysis, 12:529-540, 1975.

[2] O. Buneman, "A compact non-iterative poisson solver," Technical Report 294,
    Stanford University Institute for Plasma Research, Stanford, CA, 1969.
 
[3] B.L. Buzbee, G.H. Golub, and C.W. Nielson, "On direct methods for solving
    Poission's equation," SIAM Journal of Numerical Analysis, 7(4):627-656,
    1970.

[4] P.A. Swarztrauber, "The methods of cyclic reduction, Fourier analysis and
    the FACR algorithm for the discrete solution of Poisson's equation on a
    rectangle," SIAM Review, 19(3):490-501, 1977.

[5] P. Concus and G.H. Golub, "Use of fast direct methods for the efficient 
    numerical solution of nonseparable elliptic equations," SIAM Journal of
    Numerical Analysis, 10(6):1103-1120, 1973.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--Atul

Atul K. Chhabra                        Phone: (914)644-2786
Member of Technical Staff                Fax: (914)644-2404
NYNEX Science & Technology          Internet: [email-masked]
500 Westchester Avenue
White Plains, NY 10604

------------------------------

From: Dan Sorensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 92 13:15:22 CST
Subject: New Computational Science & Engineering Degree at Rice University

THE COMPUTATIONAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING DEGREE PROGRAM AT RICE
UNIVERSITY, HOUSTON , TEXAS

Rice University announces the Computational Science And Engineering (CSE)
Graduate Degree Program, designed to provide interdisciplinary research and
education in the area of scientific computing.

THE MASTER'S DEGREE PROGRAM
The intent of the master's degree program is to graduate professional
experts in scientific computing who will be able to work as technical
specialists within an interdisciplinary research team. Degree candidates
will be offered: training in the use of state-of-the-art numerical methods,
high performance computer architectures, and software development tools for
parallel and vector computers; application of these techniques to at least
one scientific or engineering area; a curriculum consisting of topics from
computer science, computational and applied mathematics, and a selected
application area; and hands-on experience with leading-edge parallel
supercomputers.

THE PH.D. DEGREE PROGRAM
The Ph.D. degree program offers the same interdisciplinary approach as the
master's degree program but with greater specialization. An original thesis,
in addition to the  completion of either an advanced schedule of
courses or a computational project in an application area other than
computer science or computational and applied mathematics, are required for
the Ph.D. in this program. 

PARTICIPATING DEPARTMENTS
Biochemistry and Cell Biology (expected)
Chemical Engineering
Computational and Applied Mathematics
Computer Science
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Statistics (expected)

ADMISSION
Students must be admitted into one of the academic departments listed above
to be considered for participation in the CSE graduate degree program. The
student participates as a graduate student within that department in every
way except that the curriculum and examination requirements will be set by
guidelines for the CSE graduate degree program. All applications must be
received by January 15th.

STUDENT SUPPORT
First-year funding for Ph.D. candidates is provided by fellowships from the
Center for Research on Parallel Computation, a National Science Foundation
Science and Technology Center at Rice. After the first year, support for
Ph.D. students is provided by research fellowships.

FACILITIES
Students participating in the CSE graduate degree program will have access
to several advanced computational resources: Intel Paragon, Delta, and
iPSC/860; Cray machines; and Thinking Machines CM-2 and CM-5. 

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
To request information and application materials for the new CSE Graduate
Degree Program, please contact:

Theresa Chatman
Computational Science and Engineering Graduate Degree Program
Center for Research on Parallel Computation
Rice University
6100 South Main Street
Houston, TX 77005
Theresa Chatman

Phone: 713-285-5180

Electronic mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: E.C. Gartland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 92 11:33:33 EST
Subject: Computational Problems in Liquid Crystals

                               FINAL ANNOUNCEMENT
				A Conference on
		   COMPUTATIONAL PROBLEMS IN LIQUID CRYSTALS
			     November 13-14, 1992
			     Kent State University
				  Kent, Ohio

                              Preliminary Schedule

Friday (Nov 13):

AM: Invited Talks   -  Dan Frenkel        (Inst. for Atomic & Mol. Phys.)
                       Mitch Luskin       (Univ. of Minnesota)
    Solicited Talks -  Robert Cohen       (Univ. of North Carolina)
                       Robert Guenette    (Univ. of Laval)
                       Tim Sluckin        (Univ. of Southampton)
PM: Invited Talks   -  Frank Leslie       (Univ. of Strathclyde)
                       Richard Varga      (Kent State Univ.)
    Solicited Talks -  Carme Calderer     (Penn State Univ.)
                       Epifanio Virga     (Univ. di Pisa)
                       Axel Kilian        (Tech. Univ. Berlin)
Saturday (Nov 14):

AM: Invited Talks   -  Ole Mouritsen      (Tech. Univ. of Denmark)
                       David Kinderlehrer (Carnegie Mellon Univ.)
    Solicited Talks -  Claudio Zannoni    (Univ. di Bologna)
                       Phil Taylor        (Case Western Reserve Univ.)
		       Chuck Gartland     (Kent State Univ.)
PM: Invited Talks   -  Greg Ryskin        (Northwestern Univ.)
                       Maurice Kleman     (Univ. de Paris-Sud)
    Solicited Talks -  Slobodan Zumer     (Univ. of Ljubljana)
                       Dwight Berreman    (AT&T Bell Labs (retired))
		       Tom Lubensky       (Univ. of Pennsylvania)
		       Birger Bergersen   (Univ. of British Columbia)

The Conference is interdisciplinary in nature, bringing together
computational and theoretical physicists, chemists and engineers, and
applied and numerical analysts, to explore some of the many challenging
computational problems in the area of liquid crystals.  In addition to
the talks above, there will be a session of contributed posters. 

The Conference is being co-sponsored by the Department of Mathematics
and Computer Science and the Liquid Crystal Institute at Kent State
University.  Sources of primary support are the Institute for
Mathematics and its Applications (IMA) at the University of Minnesota
and the NSF Science and Technology Center for ``Advanced Liquid
Crystalline Optical Materials'' (ALCOM), a consortium of Kent State
University, Case Western Reserve Univerity, and the University of Akron.
The Conference is being organized in cooperation with the Society for
Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM).

For further information, contact the Conference Secretary:

        Brenda L. Buck	           Phone:  216-672-2654
        Liquid Crystal Institute   FAX:    216-672-2796
        Kent State University      e-mail: [email-masked]
        Kent, OH 44242

			     Organizing Committee
			     
E.C. Gartland, Jr (Co-chair)  M.B. Luskin      P. Palffy-Muhoray (Co-chair)
Dept of Math & CS	      School of Math   Liq Cryst Inst & Dept of Phys
Kent State Univ		      Univ of Minn     Kent State Univ

------------------------------

From: Francois Cellier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1992 13:34:19 -0700 (MST)
Subject: ICBGM'93: International Conference on Bond Graph Modeling

        INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON BOND GRAPH MODELING (ICBGM'93)
           Part of the 1993 Western Simulation Multiconference
                         Sponsored by the SCS
                         January 18-20, 1993
                Hyatt Regency, La Jolla, California, USA

The International Conference on Bond Graph Modeling (ICBGM) is a new forum for
knowledge exchange among Bond Graphers and for promoting the Bond Graph
methodology to the modeling world through its Proceedings.  We are very proud
of the enthusiastic response received to our Call for Papers.  We are happy
that a large majority of today's Bond Graph experts have agreed to support this
conference either by serving on its Program Committee or by sending
contributions.  We are particularly proud that the spiritual father of the
Bond Graph methodology, Hank Paynter, agreed to speak to us, and also to write
a preface to the Proceedings of this conference.

Bond Graphs, as a methodology for modeling lumped continuous-time physical
processes, have been around for more than 30 years.  Bond Graphs describe the
power flow through a physical system.  They preserve the topological structure
of the processes they describe, i.e., they are object-oriented, yet allow to
quickly examine the computational structure as well through the introduction of
so-called causality strokes.

Bond graphs, as an educational tool for teaching students how to make good
models, have been very successful.  As teachers, we have been able to observe
that students grasp the concepts behind Bond Graph modeling quickly, and they
love it.  Students who use Bond Graphs as a tool for designing their models are
much more likely to come up with correct answers than students who don't.

Bond graphs, as a research tool in the principles of modeling, have been
fashionable all along.  Hundreds, maybe thousands, of archival research papers
on various aspects of Bond Graph modeling have been published over the years.
Bond Graphs have been understood not only as a tool for deriving simulation
models, but also as a means to concisely and unambiguously describe physical
phenomena.  In our view, Bond Graph modelers are simply better physicists.

Bond graphs, as an engineering tool for modeling real-life physical processes
were however slow in coming.  Most of the early Bond Graph software tools did
not allow to model nonlinear phenomena at all, others did not lend themselves
to a convenient description of such phenomena; and yet, our real world is
utterly nonlinear indeed.  Few of the software tools available did allow the
user to describe subsystems in a modular fashion, enabling him to hierarchically
structure his models; and yet, it is quite unrealistic to assume that engineers
will be willing to describe complex processes monolithically at a single
modeling layer.  Such models would be extremely difficult to debug and maintain.
However, Bond Graph software has meanwhile matured to a state where complex
engineering processes can indeed be described elegantly and efficiently as
demonstrated by many of the application-oriented papers presented at this
conference.

If you wish to received an E_Mail copy of the Preliminary Program of this
conference, please, send a request via E_Mail to:

                     [email-masked]
               or:   [email-masked]

General Chairman                          Program Chairman

Jose J. Granda                            Francois E. Cellier
Department of Mechanical Engineering      Dept. of Electr. and Computer Engr.
California State University, Sacramento   University of Arizona
Sacramento, Calif. 95819                  Tucson, Ariz. 85721

Phone: (916) 278-5711                     Phone: (602) 621-6192
FAX:   (916) 278-5949                     FAX:   (602) 621-8076
EMail: [email-masked]              EMail: [email-masked]

                        International Program Committee

Jan Broenink      Tech. University of Twente                     Netherlands
Peter Breedveld   Tech. University of Twente                     Netherlands
Marisol Delgado   Universidad Simon Bolivar, Caracas             Venezuela
Hallvard Engja    Norwegian Institute of Technology, Trondheim   Norway
Peter Gawthrop    University of Glasgow, Scottland               United Kingdom
Dean Karnopp      University of California, Davis                U.S.A.
Lennart Ljung     Linkoping University                           Sweden
Francis Lorenz    Lorenz Consulting, Liege                       Belgium
Donald Margolis   University of California, Davis                U.S.A.
Fernando Mejia    Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Bogota       Colombia
Henry Paynter     formerly at M.I.T.                             U.S.A.
Jean Thoma        Thoma Consulting, Zug                          Switzerland
Tong Zhou         California State University, Sacramento        U.S.A.

------------------------------

From: Bill Hager <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 92 16:34:08 EST
Subject: Conference on Large Scale Optimization

           Conference on Large Scale Optimization
        University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
                    February 15-17, 1993

     The conference will bring together researchers who are
working on many different aspects of large scale optimiza-
tion: algorithms, applications and software.  Currently, the
list of invited speakers includes the following people:

Dimitri Bertsekas   John Birge           Christian Bischof    Andrew Conn
Jann Cook           Thomas Coleman       George Dantzig       Renato DeLeone
Joseph Dunn         Chris Floudas        Anders Forsgren      Masao Fukushima
David Gay           Philip Gill          Jean-Louis Goffin    Donald Goldfarb
Masao Iri           Narendra Karmarkar   C.T. Kelley          Hiroshi Konno
Leon Lasdon         S. Lawphongpanich    P. O. Lindberg       Robert Meyer
Jorge More'         Walter Murray        Anna Nagurney        George Nemhauser
James Orlin         Michael Overton      P. Panagiotopoulos   Jong-Shi Pang
Roman Polyak        Aubrey Poore         Mauricio Rescende    K. Ramakrishnan
J. B. Rosen         Ekkehard Sachs       Michael Saunders     Robert Schnabel
David Shanno        Richard Tapia        Andre Tits           Philippe Toint
Yinyu Ye            Stavros Zenios

Although only invited talks will be presented at the confer-
ence, everyone is welcome to attend the conference.  More-
over, it is anticipated that some funds will be available
for the support of graduate students, and to support the
participation of women, minorities, and persons with disa-
bilities; please contact the organizers.  To obtain the
latest information concerning the conference, send an email
message to "[email-masked]" and in the body of the email
message, put the phrase "send meeting".  The contact people
for the conference are Bill Hager (fax: 904-392-6254), Don
Hearn (email: [email-masked]), and Panos Pardalos (phone:
904-392-9011).

------------------------------

From: D. F. Griffiths <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 92 12:26:50 GMT
Subject: Dundee Biennial Conference 1993

                                15th
                         BIENNIAL CONFERENCE
                                 ON
                         NUMERICAL ANALYSIS

                  UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE, SCOTLAND, UK
                        29th June - 2nd July 1993

The A R Mitchell lecture will this year be given by

			M J D Powell (Cambridge).

Other Principal Speakers will include
	
	J W Barrett	I S Duff	C M Elliott	
	P Gill		D J Higham	N K Nichols	
	P Townsend	J M Sanz-Serna	M N Spijker	
	G W Stewart	A M Stuart	R Temam		
	M J Todd	
	
A  limited number of submitted papers will be presented. Full details
of submission dates, conference fees, etc. will be available  towards
the end of 1992 and may be obtained by writing to either
Dr D F Griffiths or Professor G A Watson:
                The Organizing Secretaries
                Biennial Conference on Numerical Analysis
                Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
                The University
                Dundee, DD1 4HN
                Scotland, UK
        Tel: (0382) 23181 ext 4467/4474
        FAX: (0382) 201 604

        e-mail: [email-masked]
            or: [email-masked]

David F Griffiths			Tel: (0382) 23181 EXT 4467
Dept of Maths & Computer Science	FAX: (0382) 201 604
The University
Dundee DD1 4HN				email: [email-masked]
Scotland, UK					[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Richard Sincovec <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 92 14:37:27 -0500
Subject: Householder Fellowship at ORNL

           HOUSEHOLDER FELLOWSHIP IN SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING
                  Mathematical Sciences Section
                  Oak Ridge National Laboratory

The Mathematical Sciences Section of Oak Ridge National Laboratory invites
outstanding candidates to apply for the 1993 Alston S. Householder
Fellowship in Scientific Computing.

Alston S. Householder was the organizer and founding Director of the
Mathematics Division (precursor of the current Mathematical Sciences
Section) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).  In recognition of the
seminal research contributions of Dr. Householder to the fields of
numerical analysis and scientific computing, a distinguished postdoctoral
fellowship program has been established at ORNL and named in his honor. 
The Householder Fellowship is supported by the Applied Mathematical
Sciences Subprogram of the U.S. Department of Energy.

The purposes of the Householder Fellowship are to promote innovative
research in scientific computing on advanced computer architectures and to
facilitate technology transfer from the laboratory research environment to
industry and academia through advanced training of new computational
scientists.  The Householder Fellowship is normally for a term of two
years.  Benefits of the Fellowship include a competitive salary, fringe
benefits, travel opportunities, access to state-of-the-art computational
facilities (including both parallel architectures and high-performance
personal workstations), and collaborative research opportunities in a very
active research program in advanced scientific computing.  Competition for
the appointment is open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. 
Applicants should have completed a doctoral degree in computer science,
mathematics, or statistics within three years prior to the appointment and
have a strong background and research interest in large-scale scientific
computing.

ORNL's Mathematical Sciences Section has research programs in
Computational Mathematics, Computer Performance Characterization, Applied
Analysis, Global Climate Modeling, and Computational Statistics.  The
precise research emphasis of the Householder Fellow would necessarily
depend to a great degree on the research interests of the selected Fellow.
Areas of particular interest at ORNL, and in which applicants would be
especially encouraged, include: computational linear algebra,
parallel algorithms for partial differential equations including fluid
flow through porous media, tools for the development and analysis of
parallel algorithms, computational statistics, scientific visualization,
and "grand challenges" in computational science.

Applicants should send a resume, statement of research goals, and three
letters of recommendation to Carl Ludemann, PhD Employment, Oak Ridge
National Laboratory, P.O. Box 2008, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6216, marked
"ATTN: Householder Fellowship."  The deadline for applying is
January 13, 1993.  Finalists will be invited to visit ORNL in   
February 1993, and the selection committee's decision on the winning
candidate will be announced in March 1993.  The fellowship will
commence in 1993.

For further information, contact Richard F. Sincovec by phone at
615-574-3125 or by electronic mail at [email-masked].

------------------------------

From: John Grove <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 92 07:56:15 EST
Subject: Postdoctoral Position at SUNY Stony Brook

	   POSTDOCTORAL POSITION IN APPLIED MATHEMATICS	
	          UNIVERSITY AT STONY BROOK
	Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics

The Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics at the University
at Stony Brook expects to have one or more postdoctoral positions
available for the academic year of 1993/94.  We are seeking qualified
applicants in any of the following fields; computational fluid
dynamics,  parallel computing, hyperbolic conservation laws, flows in
elastic and plastic media,  or flows in porous media.   We are
particularly interested in candidates who will pursue manufacturing and
industrial applications of these areas.

A vita,  a brief description of research interests,  and at least three
letters of recommendation and any supporting materials should be sent to

	Prof. James Glimm
	Chair, Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics
	University at Stony Brook
	Stony Brook, NY 11794-3600.

Applications in the form of plain TeX or LaTeX files can be sent via
electronic mail to

	[email-masked].

Hiring decisions are expected in January or February of 1993,  although
all applications received before the position is filled will be
considered.  The University at Stony Brook is an Equal Opportunity
Employer.  We especially solicit applications by women and minorities.

------------------------------

From: Wei Pai Tang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1992 10:15:37 -0400
Subject: Position at University of Waterloo

                      UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO
                  Department of Computer Science

The  University  of  Waterloo invites applications for a one-year
definite  term lecturing position in Computer Science with possi-
bility  of  renewal.  The Department is looking for candidates in
numerical  analysis  who  will  participate  in  teaching courses
related   to  scientific  computation  at  the  intermediate  and
advanced  undergraduate  level.   Evidence  of teaching skills is
required,  and  a  Ph.D.  in Computer Science or equivalent is an
asset.  Candidates can expect to be appointed at the rank of lec-
turer   or  assistant  professor,  depending  on  qualifications.
Effective date of appointment: January or May 1993.

The  Department  of  Computer Science comprises over 40 full-time
faculty members engaged in research and teaching covering a broad
spectrum.   The  Department  and  its  research  laboratories are
housed  in  the  new  300,000  sq.  ft. William G. Davis Computer
Research  Centre.   The  Department is a key participant in ITRC:
Information  Technology  Research  Centre (a Centre of Excellence
funded  by  the  government of the Province of Ontario) that sup-
ports basic and applied research in information technology.

Applications  should  include a curriculum vitae and the names of
three  references  and should be directed to the chair: Professor
Frank  Tompa,  Department  of  Computer  Science,  University  of
Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1; [email-masked]

In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, this adver-
tisement   is   directed   to  Canadian  Citizens  and  Permanent
Residents.   The  University  of Waterloo encourages applications
from  qualified  women  and  men,  members of visible minorities,
native peoples, and persons with disabilities.

This appointment is subject to the availability of funds.

October 1992

------------------------------

From: Ian Christie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, 28 Oct 1992 15:17:52 EST
Subject: Chairperson Position at West Virginia

                                 Chairperson
                          Department of Mathematics
                          West Virginia University

     Applications  and  nominations  are  invited  for   the   position   of
Chairperson. The position requires a Ph.D. in mathematics or its equivalent,
administrative experience, and research credentials sufficient to justify  a
tenured appointment at the Associate Professor or  Professor  level.  It  is
expected that  the  successful  applicant  will  continue  his/her  research
program while serving as chairperson. The  Department  is  searching  for  a
person with a desire for administrative responsibility who will continue  to
strengthen the Department's research program while maintaining a substantial
commitment to quality teaching.

     The Department consists of 32 faculty, 5 support staff, and 25 graduate
teaching assistants, and offers the B.A.,  M.S.,  and  a  newly  established
Ph.D. degree. The Department is located in newly refurbished facilities that
include its own departmental research library, a mathematics learning center
with CAI capacity, and fully integrated computer  offices,  classrooms,  and
computer laboratories.  Faculty  have  direct  access  to  the  University's
mainframe computer facilities and to Internet. The  Department  has  faculty
active in various areas of pure and applied mathematics and  in  mathematics
education. West Virginia University has an enrollment of 22,500.  Morgantown
is a culturally diverse college community with a population of about 40,000,
and is located on the Monongahela River, 70 miles south  of  Pittsburgh  and
200 miles west of Washington D.C.

     Applicants should provide a vita and  the  names  of  five  references.
Applications and inquiries should be sent to  Dr.  Bernard  Cooper,  Benedum
Professor of Physics, Chair of the Search Committee, 201 Woodburn Hall, West
Virginia University, PO BOX 6286, MORGANTOWN  WV  26506-6286.  Screening  of
applicants will begin  on  January  15,  1993  and  will  continue  until  a
successful candidate is chosen.

     WVU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action/Title IX employer.

------------------------------

From: SIAM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 92 15:29:04 EST
Subject: Contents: SIAM Computing

CONTENTS
SIAM Journal on Computing
February 1993  Volume 22, Number 1

Implicit O(1) Probe Search
Amos Fiat and Moni Naor

Maintaining the 3-Edg

On the Boundedness of Constant-Time-Maintainable Database
Schemes
Hctor J. Hern ndez and Ke Wang

Tight Worst-Case Performance Bounds for Next-k-Fit Bin
Packing
Weizhen Mao

A Note on the Complexity of a Simple Transportation
Problem
Greg N. Frederickson

A Lower Bound on the Size of Shellsort Sorting Networks
Robert Cypher

A Note on Poset Geometries
Joel Friedman

An O(n) Algorithm for Determining the Subregion-Tree
Representation of a Rectangular Dissection
Sukhamay Kundu

Tally Versions of the Savitch and Immerman--Szelepcsenyi
Theorems for Sublogarithmic Space
Viliam Geffert

NV-Sequentiality:  A Decidable Condition for Call-by-Need
Computations in Term-Rewriting Systems
Michio Oyamaguchi

ASPACE(o(log log n)) Is Regular
Kazuo Iwama

The Complexity of Malign Measures
Peter Bro Miltersen

Scan-First Search and Sparse Certificates: An Improved
Parallel Algorithm for k-Vertex Connectivity
Joseph Cheriyan, Ming-Yang Kao, and Ramakrishna
Thurimella

Decomposing Finite-Valued Transducers and Deciding Their
Equivalence
Andreas Weber

One More Occurrence of Variables Makes Satisfiability
Jump from Trivial to NP-Complete
Jan Kratochv!l, Petr Savicky, and Zsolt Tuza

Rounds in Communication Complexity Revisited
Noam Nisan and Avi Wigderson

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------