Subject: NA Digest, Vol. 91, No. 3

From: [email-masked] (William Rosener)
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 91 15:30:35 -0500

Comment: Submissions for NA News Digest, mail to [email-masked].
Comment: Information about NA-NET, mail to [email-masked].
Comment: Comments about the NA-NET, mail to [email-masked].

NA Digest   Sunday, January 20, 1991   Volume 91 : Issue 3

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Seminar on Applied Mathematics, Venice 91
     Grid Selection with Boundary Layers
     The 8 Queens Problem
     Oxford Meeting on Parallel Computation
     Netlib News
     SIAM Journal on Scientific and Statistical Computing
     Neural Net Course and Conference

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Renato Spigler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 91 17:49:53 SET
Subject: Seminar on Applied Mathematics, Venice 91

An Advanced Seminar on Applied Mathematics will be held between June 17 and 28
in Venice, Italy, at the Ateneo Veneto, 1897 Campo S. Fantin, S. Marco.

The speakers and topics will be:
   Gene Golub, Stanford, 
      Matrices, Moments and Orthogonal Polynomials
   Eli Hameiri, Courant Inst., NYU
      Localized Instabilities in MHD Plasmas and in Classical Fluids
   Peter Markowich, TU-Berlin and Purdue
      Mathematical Modelling of Semiconductors
   G. Milton,Courant Inst., NYU
      Exploring the Properties of Composite Materials

The Scientific Committee includes V. Boffi, F. Brezzi, G. Frosali and
D. Trigiante.

Send applications to
   Renato Spigler
   Dipartimento di Metodi e Modelli Matematici per le Scienze Applicate
   Univ. of Padova
   via Belzoni 7
   35131 Padova
   Italy
   ph. 0039-49-83 19 14
   fax 83 19 95
   e-mail SPIGLER at Ipduniv.Bitnet.

Hotel reservation and fee payment (400,000 Italian lire plus 10,000 lire
for check handling by banks) can be sent to "Venezia Congressi",
Dorsoduro 1056, 30123 Venezia, Italy - ph. 0039-41-52 28 400,
fax 0039-41-52 38 995.

------------------------------

From: Voytek Golik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 12:20:43 cst
Subject: Grid Selection with Boundary Layers

We have a group working on GRID SELECTION TECHNIQUES for
2-point boundary value problems for systems of differential equations.
We would appreciate finding test problems from applications
exhibiting the following feature:  at least 2 components of the
solution vector having single boundary layers on the opposite ends
of the domain, independent of each other.

We are also interested in examples of problems with internal layers
with the similar behaviour.

Please respond to:
                        [email-masked]
or by normal post to:
                        Dr. Wojciech Golik
                        Department of Mathematics and Comp.Science
                        University of Missouri - St. Louis
                        St. Louis, MO 63121

------------------------------

From: D G Wilson <[email-masked].
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 18:17:29 -0500
Subject: The 8 Queens Problem

We are using the 8 queens problem to debug a mixed integer programming solver.
We would like to know how many solutions there are.  The code has found 12
unique solutions.  80 more can be obtained by rotations and reflections.
(The code will find these too, but it's not so interesting.)  Are there
more than 92 solutions?  D. G. Wilson  IBM Corp, Kingston, NY. 

------------------------------

From: Ian Duff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 09:41:40 GMT
Subject: Oxford Meeting on Parallel Computation

                Institute of Mathematics and its Applications

                               Conference on
                           Parallel Computation

                      18-20 September 1991 Oxford, UK
                          Tutorial on 17 September

                          Second Announcement and
                              Call for Posters

* Keynote speakers lead sessions on Software and Hardware Overviews,
  Tools, Algorithms, Architectures, and Applications

* Emphasis on the application of parallel computing to practical problems

* Recent developments and future directions in parallel computation

* Poster session on Wednesday 18 September gives attendees an opportunity to
  actively participate

* Invited speakers include:  Rob Bisseling, Koninklijke/Shell-Laboratorium;
  Michael Brady, University of Oxford;  Jack Dongarra, University of Tennessee;
  Gary Doolen, Los Alamos National Laboratory;  Jeremy Du Croz, NAG Limited;
  Iain Duff, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory;  Sven Hammarling, NAG Limited;
  Tony Hey, University of Southampton;  William Jalby, University of Rennes;
  David May, INMOS Limited;  Oliver McBryan, University of Colorado;
  Bill McColl, University of Oxford;  Paul Messina, California Institute of
  Technology;  Bobby Schnabel, University of Colorado; Uwe Suhl,
  Freie Universitaet Berlin; Henk van der Vorst, University of Utrecht

You are cordially invited to attend, and are encouraged to submit a brief
description of up to 100 words for a poster session.  These should be sent to
the following address to arrive not later than 31 March 1991.

IMA Conference on Parallel Computation, c/o Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd,
Wilkinson House, Jordan Hill Road, OXFORD, United Kingdom, OX2 8DR

------------------------------

From: Eric Grosse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 10:50 EST
Subject: Netlib News

                     NETLIB NEWS

This is the second installment of Netlib News;  for readers who
missed the first, see the November 1990 issue of SIAM News, page 14.

How do programs get in netlib?  It's a rather haphazard process.
Jack Dongarra and I are always on the lookout for good mathematical
software to add, but of course we can't know about everything going
on in the world.  So we depend on users' and authors' suggestions as well.
The basic criteria are: relevance, quality, maturity, and legality.

First of all, we're looking for *mathematical* software and
databases.  Although to accommodate someone in our local organizations
we occasionally add items that are only tangentially related to
scientific computing, as a general policy we focus on roughly the same
areas as SIAM's numerical journals.  Fortunately, people in other
disciplines have taken my automatic mail-answering software and run similar
services for their communities.  For example, Tony Hearn supports the
REDUCE symbolic algebra system this way;  statistical software is
available from [email-masked].  A future column will
survey the various netlib-like services.

The most important criterion is quality.  Netlib was an early
success because we could start with superb libraries like eispack
and linpack.  The long tradition in numerical analysis of building
portable, robust software solving cleanly defined problems is
immensely powerful and other computer scientists are just beginning
to emulate it.  No one is perfect;  bugs have been found and fixed
even in eispack.  But we all strive to write software to that standard.
There is a place, however, for research codes.  Authors may have a
promising new algorithm that deserves testing in a variety of
applications before the final polishing.  For pedagogical purposes
or to allow consistent benchmarking, it may even make sense to include
implementations of methods with known (or worse, unknown!) limitations.
But as general policy, an addition to netlib ought to either fill a
gap or be demonstrably better than codes already in the collection.
This is not a refereed collection and as a practical matter the user
ought to recognize that quality will vary.

A contribution has reached the minimum level of ``maturity'' if
updates are not anticipated more often than, say, every six
months.  This is just to keep the administrative workload at a
manageable level.

Finally, do no harm.  Everyone who worked on the code must agree to the
distribution.  We do our best not to let in any viruses, stolen credit
card numbers, libelous remarks, and the like.  Netlib has no provision
for royalties or license agreements, so all contributions should be in
the public domain.

 From time to time, people announce in na-net that they are looking for
certain kinds of codes and haven't found anything in netlib.  If you
eventually find something good, please let me know.  Or if you're using
someone's program that you've had good success with, encourage the
author to deposit it in netlib.  If you've just written the world's
most wonderful program and wish to donate it to mankind, great!   Ask
netlib to ``send contrib from misc'' and you'll get back a checklist of
things to think about when preparing your file for distribution.
May you make the next bestseller list!

Recent additions

(As usual, the second half of Netlib News is devoted to a quick
overview of material added to the collection since the last column.)

One of the early motivations for netlib was Gene Golub's observation
that Stanford Ph.D. students frequently wrote valuable programs as part
of their thesis work, but that these codes were too often lost when the
students moved away.  So it is fitting that one of the recent additions
to the collection is the "praxis" program (version dated March
1973!) from the book "Algorithms for Finding Zeros and Extrema of
Functions Without Calculating Derivatives" by Richard Brent.  We took
this opportunity to start a new optimization directory.  At the moment,
the only other entry is Stephen Nash's codes for
unconstrained and simply bounded optimization by a truncated Newton
algorithm.  But this will grow, with editorial help from David
Gay; ask netlib to ``send index from opt'' for the current status.

The TOMS directory of Collected Algorithms of the ACM is current
through Algorithm 684, dfc1c2:  C^1 and C^2 interpolation on
triangles with quintics and nonics by A. Preusser.

The request ``send dp12 from ode'' will get you Jeff Cash's
extended backward differentiation formula solver for stiff ordinary
differential equations.

Those of you who are learning the C++ programming language may be
interested in "The C++ Answer Book" by Tony L. Hansen.  The codes
are online; ``send index from c++/answerbook'' for details.

SIAM headquarters has provided  LaTeX macros for book chapters
in the ACM/SIAM Preprint series. Say ``send ltexpprt.all from typesetting.''

Thanks to the efforts of Chris Paige and Clement Pellerin of McGill
University, the bibliography from Gene H. Golub and Charles F. Van
Loan, "Matrix Computations, 2nd ed.", is now available.  You can
get the entire file by asking for ``gvl.bib from bib,'' but
the bibliography is large (204 kilobytes), so we've provided an alternative
to downloading the whole thing.  Instead you may send netlib a message
like ``find paige in linalg''.  You'll get back the results of a
search for all matching entries.

Unix (TM) aficionados may be interested to know that your search
string is broken in white-space-separated patterns, then ``grep -i'' is
used to find entries that match each pattern.  For this purpose, each
bibliography entry is converted to a single line, passed through a
pipeline of grep's, and converted back the original format before
mailing.

Another file in the bib directory is ovr.bib, ``A Bibliography on
Parallel and Vector Numerical Algorithms'' by Ortega, Voigt and
Romine.  This is an even larger file, almost 444 kilobytes!  We
encourage you to do remote searches instead of loading a fresh copy of the
database each time it changes. Therefore the netlib command ``find ... from
linalg'' searches both the Golub Van Loan and the Ortega Voigt Romine
files.  The resulting improvement in coverage was judged to outweigh
the annoyance of duplicate matches.  If you have trouble deciphering
the journal abbreviations used in ovr.bib, ask netlib to ``send
ovr-strings from bib.''

If you're new to netlib, send e-mail containing the line
``help'' to one of the Internet addresses [email-masked],
[email-masked], or [email-masked] or uucp
address uunet!research!netlib.  A few minutes later, assuming you
have speedy mail connections, you will receive information on how to
use netlib and an overview of the many mathematical software libraries
and databases in the collection.

Eric Grosse can be reached at the Computing Science Research Center,
AT\&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill NJ 07974, USA or by email at
[email-masked].  Unix is a trademark of AT\&T Bell Laboratories.
This column was written December 9, 1990.

------------------------------

From: SIAM Publications Department <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 91 10:37 EDT
Subject: SIAM Journal on Scientific and Statistical Computing

Contents 

SIAM Journal on Scientific and Statistical Computing

March 1991  Volume 12, Number 2

Kent Pearce
A Constructive Method for Numerically Computing Conformal Mappings for
Gearlike Domains

Michael Schafer
Parallel Algorithms for the Numerical Solution of Incompressible Finite
Elasticity Problems

Lawrence F. Shampine
Diagnosing Stiffness for Runge-Kutta Methods

Kazuo Murota and Kiyohiro Ikeda
Computational Use of Group Theory in Bifurcation Analysis of Symmetric
Structures

Vitezslav Vesely
Fast Cell-Structured Algorithm for Digit Reversal of Arbitrary Length

David Lee
Detection, Classification, and Measurement of Discontinuities

J. Kenneth Wolfenbarger and John H. Seinfeld
Regularized Solutions to the Aerosol Data Inversion Problem

M. R. Osborne and G. K. Smyth
A Modified Prony Algorithm for Fitting Functions Defined by Difference
Equations

Chong Gu and Grace Wahba
Minimizing GCV/GML Scores with Multiple Smoothing Parameters via the Newton
Method

Ronald F. Boisvert
Algorithms for Special Tridiagonal Systems

Kurt Georg
Approximation of Integrals for Boundary Element Methods

Jose E. Castillo
A Discrete Variational Grid Generation Method

For additional information regarding the SIAM Journal on Scientific and
Statistical Computing, please contact Vickie Kearn, Publisher,
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 3600 University City
Science Center, Philadelphia, PA  19104-2688; (215)
382-9800; Fax: (215) 386-7999; E-mail: [email-masked].

------------------------------

From: Michael Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 12:20:13 -0500
Subject: Neural Net Course and Conference

               NEURAL NETWORKS COURSE AND CONFERENCE AT
                         BOSTON UNIVERSITY

          NEURAL NETWORKS: FROM FOUNDATIONS TO APPLICATIONS
                           May 5-10, 1991

This self-contained 5-day course is sponsored by the Boston University 
Wang Institute, Center for Adaptive Systems, and Graduate Program in 
Cognitive and Neural Systems.  The course provides a systematic 
interdisciplinary introduction to the biology, computation, mathematics, 
and technology of neural networks.  Boston University tutors are 
Stephen Grossberg, Gail Carpenter, Ennio Mingolla, Michael Cohen, Dan 
Bullock, and John Merrill.  Guest tutors are Federico Faggin, 
Robert Hecht-Nielsen, Michael Jordan, Andy Barto, and Alex Waibel.  
Registration fee: $985 (professional) and $275 (student).  Fee includes 
lectures, course notebooks, receptions, meals, coffee services, and 
evening discussion sessions.    

           NEURAL NETWORKS FOR VISION AND IMAGE PROCESSING

                           May 10-12, 1991

This research conference at the Wang Institute will present invited
lectures and contributed posters, herewith solicited, ranging from visual
neurobiology and psychophysics through computational modelling to
technological applications.   Invited speakers include: Stuart Anstis,
Jacob Beck, Gail A. Carpenter, David Casasent, John Daugman, Robert 
Desimone, Stephen Grossberg, Robert Hecht-Nielsen, Ralph Linsker, 
Ennio Mingolla, Alex Pentland, V.S. Ramachandran, Eric Schwartz, 
George Sperling, James Todd, and Alex Waxman.  A featured Poster 
Session will be held on May 11.  To present a poster, submit 3 copies 
of an abstract (1 single-spaced page), postmarked by March 1, 1991, 
for refereeing.  Include with the abstract the author's name, address, 
and telephone number.  Mail to VIP Poster Session, Neural Networks 
Conference, Wang Institute of Boston University, 72 Tyng Road, Tyngsboro, 
MA 01879.  Authors will be informed of abstract acceptance by March 31, 
1991.  Registration fee: $95 (professionals) and $75 (student).  Fee 
includes lectures and poster session, abstract book, reception, meals, 
and coffee services.   

TO REGISTER: For one or both events by phone, call (508) 649-9731 with VISA
or MasterCard between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. (EST).  For a meeting brochure, call 
as above or write: Neural Networks, Wang Institute of Boston University, 
72 Tyng Road, Tyngsboro, MA 01879.  

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------