Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 90 18:36:54 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, September 16, 1990   Volume 90 : Issue 33

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     NA-Day at Stanford
     Change of Address for Martin Knapp-Cordes
     Temporary Change of Address for Klaus and Alice Peters
     Change of Address For Ben Leimkuhler
     Change of Address for Michael Berry
     1991 Householder Fellowship
     Differential Equations Activity in Europe
     Special Issue of the Journal of VLSI Signal Processing
     NASECODE Conference Announcement
     IMACS91 conference announcement

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Michael Overton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 90 14:26:16 -0400
Subject: NA-Day at Stanford

NA-DAY AT STANFORD, FRIDAY NOV 9.

A special NA Day is being planned at Stanford on Friday November 9 in
connection with the 25th anniversary meeting of the Stanford Computer
Science Department.  The meeting immediately follows the SIAM Conference
on Linear Algebra in Signals, Systems and Control, which is being held
in San Francisco on Nov 5-8.  Everyone is welcome to attend NA Day.
There will be a voluntary registration fee of $25 to cover the cost
of a reception and a Chinese Banquet.  More details will be announced
at a later date.

     - M. Overton, M.H. Wright, T. Chan.

------------------------------

From: Martin Knapp-Cordes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 90 14:43:25 CDT
Subject: Change of Address for Martin Knapp-Cordes

On October 1, 1990 I will a start a new job at The Math Works, Inc.
My address will be:

	Martin Knapp-Cordes
	The Math Works, Inc.
	21 Eliot Street
	South Natick, MA 01760
	(508) 653-1415
	FAX: (508) 653-2997
	E-mail: [email-masked]
		[email-masked]

Best regards,
Martin Knapp-Cordes

------------------------------

From: Klaus Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 90 10:22:25 -0700
Subject: Temporary Change of Address for Klaus and Alice Peters

Dear Friends and Colleagues:
Alice and I are no longer connected with the Mathematics and Computer
Science activities at Academic Press.  Our new temporary address is:

19 Salem Road
Wellesley, MA 02181
Tel: (617) 237-1774
E-mail: (as before) [email-masked]

   -- Klaus Peters

------------------------------

From: Ben Leimkuhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 90 15:21:29 CDT
Subject: Change of Address For Ben Leimkuhler

My new address is:

Ben Leimkuhler
Department of Mathematics
The University of Kansas
Lawrence, Kansas 66045

Phone: (913) 864 4028

Email: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Michael Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 90 09:59:28 CDT
Subject: Change of Address for Michael Berry

Please post on the next na-net digest my change of address:

Dept. of Computer and Information Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Campbell Hall Room 115A
UAB Station
Birmingham, AL  35294

Office Phone: (205) 934-2213
E-mail: [email-masked]

Thanks,

Michael W. Berry

------------------------------

From: Bob Ward <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 17:05:52 EDT
Subject: 1991 Householder Fellowship

	  HOUSEHOLDER FELLOWSHIP IN SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING

		  Mathematical Sciences Section
		  Oak Ridge National Laboratory

The Mathematical Sciences Section of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory
(ORNL) invites outstanding candidates to apply for the 1991 Alston S.
Householder Fellowship in Scientific Computing.

In recognition of the seminal research contributions of Dr. Householder
to the fields of numerical analysis and scientific computing, a
distinguished postdoctoral fellowship program has been established at
ORNL and named in his honor.  The Householder Fellowship is supported
by the Applied Mathematical Sciences Subprogram of the U.S. Department
of Energy.

The purposes of the Householder Fellowship are to promote innovative
research in scientific computing on advanced computer architectures and
to facilitate technology transfer from the laboratory research
environment to industry and academia through advanced training of new
computational scientists.  The Householder Fellowship is for a term of
one year, renewable for a second year.  Benefits of the Fellowship
include a competitive salary, fringe benefits, travel opportunities,
access to state-of-the-art computational facilities (including both
parallel architectures and high-performance personal workstations), and
collaborative research opportunities in a very active research program
in advanced scientific computing.  Competition for the appointment is
open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.  Applicants should have
completed a doctoral degree in computer science, mathematics, or
statistics within three years prior to the appointment and have a
strong background and research interest in large-scale scientific
computing.

The Mathematical Sciences Section of ORNL has research programs in
Computational Mathematics, Computer Performance Characterization,
Applied Analysis, and Computational Statistics.  The precise research
emphasis of the Householder Fellow would necessarily depend to a great
degree on the research interests of the selected Fellow.  Areas of
particular interest at ORNL, and in which applicants would be
especially encouraged, include:

1. Computational linear algebra, with special emphasis on sparse matrix
computations on advanced computer architectures.

2. Partial differential equations, with special emphasis on the
development of novel algorithms for solving mathematical problems arising
in environmental cleanup, such as fluid flow through porous media.

3. Tools for the development and analysis of parallel programs,
including programming environments for parallel computers and methods
for measuring and modeling the behavior and performance of parallel
algorithms.

4. Computational statistics, with special emphasis on the development
of procedures and algorithms for use in the design and analysis of
computational experiments, computer-aided experimental design, and
large-scale statistical problems.

5. ``Grand Challenges'' in computational science, emphasizing the use
of advanced computer architectures to solve important problems in
science and engineering, such as global climate modeling and 
superconductivity,
 
Applicants should send a resume, statement of research goals, and three 
letters of recommendation to Carl A. Ludemann, PhD Employment, Oak Ridge
National Laboratory, P.O. Box 2008, Oak Ridge, TN, 37831-6216, marked
``Attn: Householder Fellowship.''  The deadline for applying is
December 3, 1990, and the selection committee's decision on the winning
candidate will be announced in January 1991.  The position will
commence in 1991.
  
For further information contact Robert C. Ward by phone at 615-574-3125
or by electronic mail at [email-masked].

------------------------------

From: George Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 11:13:56 EDT
Subject: Differential Equations Activity in Europe

                 Differential Equations in Europe
         A Numerical Analyst's European Trip Report-1990

                         George D. Byrne
                        September 11, 1990

     This  report  on my  June 1990  trip  to Europe  will  be of
interest  to those readers  who would like  to follow some of the
technical  and non-technical trends  in Europe.   The purposes of
the trip were to:

          Visit  ETH, Zurich and  to give a  seminar there on the
          differential  equation  solvers VODE  and  VODPK, which
          were written by Peter Brown, Alan Hindmarsh, and me.

          Visit  the Konrad  Zuse Zentrum  in West  Berlin and to
          speak there about recent work with VODPK.

          Attend   and  participate  in   the  Vienna  Scientific
          Computing  Conference, which  was in the  honor of Hans
          Stetter on the occasion of his sixtieth birthday.

          Attend  and  participate  in  the  1990  Numerical  ODE
          (ordinary  differential  equation)  Conference  at  the
          Helsinki (Finland) Technical University.

Of  course, there were less technical reasons for this particular
trip  to primarily German speaking Europe.  I wanted to see first
hand  the changes, to get a sense  of their potential impact, and
to  visit family  friends near Bonn.   To prepare  for this I had
taken  a few lessons in German, which  were very helpful.  Except
for  the trip from Vienna to Helsinki, my travel was by train, on
which, quite logically, German was the usual language.

Zurich

     Zurich is  a compact, clean city in a beautiful setting of a
valley surrounded by low mountains and the city, a lake and river
in the valley.   During my June 5-8 visit to ETH (Eidgenoessische
Technische  Hochschule, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
Zurich)  had several visitors from the U.S.   Paul Saylor and Bob
Skeel both from the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana were
there.   Bob  was visiting Paul  on his way  to the conference in
Vienna  and Paul was  there for the  summer at  the invitation of
Walter  Gander.  Bob and Paul  are interested in iterative linear
algebraic  methods in the setting of stiff  ODE solvers.  Some of
the  technical work at the Applied Mathematics Seminar involves a
parallel  implementation of waveform relaxation.  The latter work
is  being done by Bert Pohl, a student of Rolf Jeltsch.  Rolf was
my  host and now occupies the  chair formerly associated with the
late  Peter  Henrici.   Rolf  struck  me as  being  interested in
long-term  developments, good access to the computer network from
workstations, and as having the kind of rapport with his students
that  would be envied by many  American professors.  In Zurich, I
was determined to  try to use my limited knowledge of German.  My
attempts led to conversations with some very marvelous people and
made  the  trip more  enjoyable.   It was  my first  adventure in
laguagae  immersion with no  alternative.  It  was well worth the
effort.

West Berlin

     At the Konrad Zuse Zentrum - Berlin (ZIB) the recent changes
in East-West relations were  quite  obvious.   About  half  of my
audience  had come  over from East  Berlin.   In the city itself,
there were many people from Eastern Europe shopping and traveling
around the city by bus.

     Peter Deuflhard, the President of ZIB and my host, indicated
that  activities  at  ZIB  include  work  on  multilevel methods,
theoretical  and  practical studies  of Broyden-like  methods and
their  significance  in  iterative  methods  in  linear  algebra,
reacting  chemical systems (including  1-D  and  2-D  combustion)
and, of course, extrapolation methods for ODEs.  Symbolic comput-
ing is also an area represented by  a  high  level  of  interest.
Peter provided me with the opportunity to  talk  with Ulli  Nowak
and several other members of the technical  staff  about   mutual
interests.   At the  time of my  visit, June 11  - 13, Berlin was
still  divided and there were but  two border crossing points for
Americans  - Checkpoint Charlie and Friedrichstrasse.  The border
no man's land was apparent to even the most casual observer.  The
contrast  between East and West Berlin  was perhaps more striking
than  an  East German  had told  me it  would be.   In  the East,
quality  of the  automobiles was poor  and they  gave off strange
sounds  and  a stench,  the apartment  complexes were  stark, and
lines were evident.   West Berlin was clean and gave off an eerie
feeling,  perhaps from its long-term  isolation.  There were some
reminders of the devastation of World War II, as well as post war
prosperity.   My growing, but limited  German vocabulary was very
helpful in Berlin.

Vienna

     The   Vienna   Conference   on   Scientific   Computing  was
well-organized  and had about  100 participants representing from
20  countries and featured over 60 papers, all contributed.  This
conference was  held June 14 - 16 and its central themes included
Runge-Kutta   methods  for   ODEs,  DAEs  (differential-algebraic
equations), and  software issues.  Owing to the number of days of
the  conference and the number of  papers, there were usually two
parallel sessions throughout the day.

     Some  of the events associated with the conference reflected
Hans  Stetter's stature and the Viennese culture.  The opening of
the  conference included speeches recalling Hans' accomplishments
and  his several roles in his field of study, the University, the
city  of Vienna, and  Austria.  Several  bouquets of flowers were
presented to Frau Stetter, a charming, gracious lady.

     The  biggest surprise for me was the reception at the Vienna
City  Hall.  The ballroom  was lighted by  two very large crystal
chandeliers  and was decorated with coats of arms associated with
Austria.   A representative of the mayor  of Vienna gave a speech
both welcoming the international contingent and the importance of
some  of  Hans' work.   John  Butcher gave  a very  nice, serious
speech  recounting some  of  Hans's technical  accomplishment and
indicating  his  international  influence.    The  speeches  were
followed by an exceptionally good buffet dinner and American jazz
played by a three piece combo.  Some of us enjoyed dancing to the
good music and in the motion picture-like setting.  In short, the
reception  was a  far  cry from  bad beer  in  a plastic  cup and
waiting  for a  chance to leave  graciously.   It should be noted
that  it started  punctually and ended  punctually, as  one might
guess.

     There  was also a  tour of Stift  Melk, a beautiful abbey on
the Danube  and some of the nearby historic villages.  The chapel
in  Stift Melk had been recently rennovated and was breathtaking.
In  one village, Richard the Lionhearted had been held for ransom
after  one of the Crusades.   The tour was concluded with a visit
to a Heuriger, a Viennese wine house that sells its own new wine,
serves  hearty rural food, features folk  music, and a very happy
atmosphere.  At this party, it was my privilege to recall some of
the  humorous aspects  of the  30 or so  years that  I have known
Hans.   Hans  in turn had  the crowd  sing Happy Birthday  to me,
since  the party was on my  own birthday.  It was a marvelous way
to  celebrate a birthday.  Hans  Prochaska of Hewlett Packard and
his  wife were  the host  and hostess  for this  party, which was
sponsored by H-P.

     Vienna  is charming and beautiful.   It is  very easy to get
around  the city by  public transit.   The architecture is varied
and  beautiful and ranges from an ultra modern all glass building
to  historic St.  Stephen's cathedral,  which is  just across the
square.   Vienna is clearly  a crossroads, as  can be attested by
the many languages spoken on its streets and in the shops.  It is
hardly  a surprise that many Europeans  rank Vienna high on their
list  of vacation  spots or  that its  palaces are  so frequently
visited.

     The  organizers  for  the Vienna  conference  were Christoph
Ueberhuber, Richard Weiss, and their colleagues from the Technical
University of Vienna.  It was well very well done.

Helsinki

     The  1990 Conference on  the Numerical  Solution of Ordinary
Differential  Equations  had  a strong  representation  from both
Eastern  and Western  Europe, reflecting  Finland's international
position.   During this June 18 - 22 conference, there were about
85  presentations in three categories:  invited, highlighted, and
contributed.  The invited speakers were:

          John Butcher
          Ernst Hairer
          S. Yu Pilyugin
          Florian Potra
and
          Bob Russell.

The highlighted speakers were:

          Rudolf Scherer
          R. P. Fedorenko
          K. F. B. M. Kraaijevanger
          Moody Chu
          Klaus Ulrich
          Robert Corless
          Roger Alexander
          Kevin Burrage
          Des Higham
and
          George Byrne.

     The themes of this conference also included Runge-Kutta-type
methods,  and DAEs.  Not surprisingly,  another of the themes was
                                                   {
waveform  relaxation (also  known as  Picard-Lindelof iteration).
Others   were  boundary  value  problems,  continuation,  control
problems, and a good dose of classical analysis.  As last year in
Britain,  the large number  of papers on  Runge-Kutta methods and
DAEs was agaom evident.

     Olavi  Nevanlinna was  the conference  organizer with strong
support  from  Ben  Leimkuhler  and  others  from  the  Technical
University of Helsinki.

     Some  non-technical highlights were  a Finnish sauna evening
and  a tour.  A sauna is an experience  that is hard to describe,
worth  trying  once  (at  least),  and  a  social  event  that is
remarkable.  Before the sauna, I asked a desk clerk what I needed
for  a sauna --  swim trunks, perhaps.   Her reply  was, "Well, I
suppose  you could  take the  towel from  your room."   After the
fact, a Swedish  colleague said that the Finns do it all wrong by
having separate sauna cabins for the men and for the women.

     Our  tour  included  a visit  to  Fiskars, the  home  of the
cutlery   firm  whose  scissors  and   knives  are  respected  by
housekeepers throughout the world.  The visit to that village was
followed  by  dinner  at a  Baltic  inlet and  coffee  at outdoor
restaurants.   Finland reminded me very  much of the lake country
in  Northern Minnesota -- pine trees, stands of birch, clean air,
and lots of water.

     On June 22, quite a few of us attended the midsummer's night
festival  on a  small island  in Helsinki's  harbor.   There were
people  demonstrating  crafts,  good  sausages,  and  the  annual
bonfire  made of old canoes and small evergreen trees, with songs
and  a  ceremonial wedding.   Perhaps  most  striking was  the 10
kilometer  walk  back  to  the  campus  in  the  bright  midnight
twilight.  A fitting way to say farewell to a hospitable country.

General Comments, Observations, and Personal Opinions

     I  greatly  believe in  conferences  and foreign  travel and
recommend  both.  They are broadening, an interesting way to meet
people  and to learn.   The generosity  and kindness of people is
generally  underestimated and the experience  of learning that is
well  worth substantial effort.  ^By way of an example, some East
and  West Berliners in  my train compartment  gave me beverage, a
thick  cheese sandwich,  and chocolate for  lunch, although three
was  a dining car on the train.  We joked in  a mix of German and
English  (with frequent  references to  my pocket  dictionary and
phrase  book).  We spoke  of the political  changes, the U.S. and
shared  a day of our lives.  Yes, a smile and humor in good taste
can be contagious.|  The conferences described above were run and
organized  professionally, with grace, good humor, and no obvious
hitches.

     It pleased me to see such strong representation from Eastern
Europe,  especially  in  Finland.   There  was some  good natured
joking  between East and  West and I  was pleased to  see for the
first time some correspondents of twenty or so years.

     Most  of the speakers at  the conferences were sincere, gave
presentations much like one another, and believed that their work
is  significant.  They are unquestionably bright, articulate, and
interesting  people.    Yet  some  of  the  computational methods
proposed  can  not compete  with  existing methods,  at  least on
realistic  problems.  More than a few speakers tended to face the
projection  screen  while  speaking, used  view  graphs  that are
illegible  in the first row of  the audience, mumbled, spoke in a
monotone  voice, read  their presentations  verbatim, or  did not
seem  interested in  their own work.   Moreover,  a number of the
presenters  assumed that  the audience  knew  as much  about some
isolated  topic as they  did and, as  a consequence, lost much of
the audience in the first few minutes of the presentation.  If in
our  own specialties  such observations can  be made,  how can we
expect  to convey our techniques, methods, software, and ideas to
a  broader user audience?   How can  we convince funding agencies
and  politicians that our  field is important?   Why do we expect
others  to  follow us  in  our field  of  endeavor?   How  can we
sincerely  speak about education  and classroom performance?  The
above  in no  way detracts  from the  effort  of the  speakers to
present  their work  in English,  a difficult  language, at best.
Precisely  the same observations  applied to the  SIAM meeting in
Chicago!

     I would like very much to see the introduction of awards for
best   presentation  at   significant  conferences.     Technical
societies in other fields have done this for a long time.  Now it
is time for us to  do the same.  If this is showmanship or public
relations,  fine.  Let's do it.  If you would like to try a field
test,  pick an arbitrary  lecture at a  large applied mathematics
conference,  stand in  the back,  and watch  the audience.   Now,
estimate  the percentage of the audience who are asleep, reading,
talking,  or  otherwise  not  following  the  presentation.   The
results are usually astonishing.

------------------------------

From: Ed F. Deprettere <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 19:01:32 met
Subject: Special Issue of the Journal of VLSI Signal Processing

                           Special Issue of the
                     Journal of VLSI Signal Processing
                                  on
                 Algorithms and Parallel VLSI Architectures

Papers are solicited for a special issue of the Journal of VLSI Signal
Processing to be published mid-1991. The issue will focus on the interplay
between parallel algorithm development and parallel VLSI architecture design
for space-time critical applications. Topics of interest include, but are
not limited to, the following aspects:

Algorithms, Architectures and System Design:

   Analog and Digital Artificial Neural Networks
   Sparse Equation Solvers
   Non-stationary Modeling
   Structured Matrix Computations
   Video and Image Processing
   Control and Communication
   High Resolution Signal Processing
   Finite Element Modeling
   Computer Graphics
   Adaptive Filtering

Authors should follow the JVSP manuscript format as described in the
Information for Authors at the end of each issue of the Journal.
Submit five copies of a complete manuscript to the guest editor.
Submissions must be received no later than November 15, 1990.
Authors will be notified of final publication by February 15, 1991.

Guest Editor

Professor Ed F. Deprettere
Department of Electrical Engineering
Delft University of Technology
2628 CD Delft, The Netherlands
(31) 15 786289/6234
(31) 15 623271 (fax)
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Paul A. Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 90 02:37:33 -0400
Subject: NASECODE Conference Announcement

FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT, CALL FOR PAPERS AND CALL FOR SESSION ORGANIZERS

NASECODE VII

The Seventh International Conference on the Numerical Analysis 
of Semiconductor Devices and Integrated Circuits

Copper Mountain, Colorado, USA
April 8-12, 1991

under the auspices of
INCA - the Institute for Numerical Computation and Analysis, Dublin, Ireland

SESSION TOPICS
These include process modelling, device modelling, circuit modelling, physica
l aspects, mathematical techniques, computational techniques, hot carriers, h
ydrodynamic models, avalanche and Monte Carlo techniques.

HOW TO CONTRIBUTE A PAPER
Potential contributors should submit an abstract (one page, 500 words maximum
) which must clearly state the purpose of the work, the specific original res
ults obtained and their significance.  Only work that has not previously been
 submitted for publication will be considered.  All accepted papers will be p
ublished in the Proceedings, which will be available at the beginning of the 
conference.  Authors are encouraged to submit a preliminary version of the co
mplete paper in addition to the abstract.

HOW TO CONTRIBUTE A SESSION
Potential session organizers should immediately submit the title(s) of the se
ssion(s) they propose.  A typical session consists of six 20-minute papers.  
Session organizers are responsible for the scientific quality of papers in th
eir session, consequently all papers invited by session organizers are automa
tically accepted.

TUTORIAL SHORT COURSES
Several one-day tutorial, non-specialist short courses will be held in parall
el on the first day.  Lecture Notes will be provided.

SOFTWARE FORUM AND EXHIBITION
These events will be held in parallel with the Conference.  They will focus o
n complete software modules and packages; their applications, improvements, e
xtensions, interfaces and integration.  The aim is to facilitate and stimulat
e the exchange of existing software.  A Technical Digest of these events will
be available at the start of the conference.

LOCATION AND LODGINGS
Copper Mountain, Colorado, is located in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, 75
miles west of Denver on Interstate 70, Exit 195.  Participants should make aii
rline reservations to Denver and use the frequent limousine service from the
airport to Copper Mountain (approximate cost: $28 one way, $50 return).   Blo
ck reservations of accommodation adjacent to the meeting rooms and ski lifts
have been made. Requests for lodgings must be made directly to Copper Mounta
in Lodging Services, PO Box 3117, Copper Mountain, CO 80443, USA.  Telephone 
(303) 968-2882 or toll free (1-800) 458-8386 ext. 1.  Telefax (303) 968-6227

DEADLINES

IMMEDIATE               Intention to submit a paper or organize a session

November 15, 1990       Receipt in Dublin of abstracts of contributed papers

January 15, 1991        Receipt in Dublin of all material for publication
	
February 15, 1991       Receipt in Copper Mountain of lodging reservations

FURTHER INFORMATION AND CONTRIBUTIONS

Professor John Miller       Telefax:  +353-1-679-2469
NASECODE VII Conference     Telex:  93782 TCD EI (attn: Professor J  Miller)
26 Temple Lane              E-Mail:  [email-masked]
Dublin 2, Ireland           Telephone:  +353-1-679-7655

------------------------------

From: Paul A. Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 90 02:38:12 -0400
Subject: IMACS91 conference announcement

PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS
 
13th IMACS World Congress on 
Computation and Applied Mathematics
July 22-26, 1991
Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland

General Chairman:  Professor John J H Miller, Trinity College, University of Dublin

HONORARY SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE
R Vichnevetsky, New Brunswick, USA, (Honorary Chairman of the the Congress)
G Birkhoff, Cambridge, USA			L Collatz, Hamburg, FRG
J Lighthill, London, England			J L Lions, Paris, France
G I Marchuk, Moscow, USSR			J L Synge, Dublin, Ireland
M Yamaguti, Kyoto, Japan			O C Zienkiewicz,Swansea,Wales

CO-SPONSORING SOCIETIES:
International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC) 
International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP)
International Federation of Operational Research Societies (IFORS)
International Measurement Confederation (IMEKO)                                                                                                      
CO-OPERATING SOCIETIES
AFCET - Association Francoise pour la Cybernetique Economique et Technique.
GAMM - Gesellschaft fur Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik.
GAMNI - Groupement pour l'Avancement des Methodes Numeriques de l'Ingenieur.
IACM - International Association of Computational Mechanics.
IAMCM - International Association for Mathematical and Computer Modelling.
INRIA - Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique.
Irish Mathematical Society. 
ISINA - International Society for Innovative Numerical Analysis.
National Committee for Mathematics.
SMAI - Socite de Mathematiques Appliques et Industrielles.
	
ABOUT THE CONGRESS
The Honorary President of the Congress is Michael Smith, T D, Minister for
Science and Technology.  The last IMACS World 
Congress, (the 12th, held in Paris in 1988), featured about 800 technical
papers on a wide variety of subjects, and was attended by 
1100 participants coming from 52 countries.  The 13th IMACS World Congress
is expected to follow a similar format.

CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS
Under the general theme of COMPUTATION AND APPLIED MATHEMATICS,
preliminary manuscripts (original contributions 
or survey papers) and proposals for the organization of sessions are
solicited in the following areas:
THEORY
.  numerical analysis				.  approximation theory
.  finite element theory and other computational.  symbolic computation
    methods based on the calculus of variations	
APPLICATIONS
.  mathematical modelling and study of wave	.  systems analysis, systems
    and nonlinear phenomena			  simulation & systems theory
.  computational fluid dynamics			.  computational acoustics
.  computational chemistry			.  computational physics
.  computational mechanics			.  statistical mechanics
.  applications in other scientific and industrial
    disciplines,	
.  optimization, theory and applications
     including biology and the environment 
.  computational electromagnetics	
NEW TOOLS IN COMPUTATION
- attention will be given to those contributions which emphasize new
developments, both in theory and applications, which have been 
made possible by the appearance of what are sometimes referred to as non-von
Neumann computer architectures (pipelines, hypercubes, 
massively parallel machines, neural nets, etc.)
CONTRIBUTIONS TO SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING COMING FROM NON-NUMERICAL DISCIPLINES
- contributions of artificial intelligence to fields that were almost
entirely numerical in the past, such as mechanical engineering, 
computational fluid dynamics, solution of differential and integral 
equations, will be featured.
HISTORY OF COMPUTING AND APPLIED MATHEMATICS
- contributions are solicited in all aspects of the history of applied
mathematics, mathematical modelling, and the development of 
computers that are relevant to the other themes of the Congress.

PUBLICATIONS
The current plan is to publish pre-conference PROCEEDINGS and post-conference
TRANSACTIONS

CORRESPONDENCE
Preliminary manuscripts in duplicate, proposals for the
organization of sessions, and other communications			
relating to the scientific programme of the Congress 		 
should be addressed to :								

Professor John J H Miller,
General Chairman, IMACS '91			
Temple Lane, Dublin 2, IRELAND				 
Telephone: (+353-1) 679-7655 
Telefax: (+353-1) 679-2469 		
Telex: 30547 SHCN EI; Ref: IMACS Congress						
E-mail:  [email-masked]				

Enquires about all other Congress matter should be addressed to:

Paulene McKeever, IMACS '91
40 Millview Lawns, Malahide
Co. Dublin, IRELAND
Telephone: (+353-1) 452081
Telefax: (+353-1) 451739
Telex: 30547 SHCN EI; Ref: IMACS Congress

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------