Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 90 14:03:46 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, August 26, 1990   Volume 90 : Issue 30

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     New Address for Daniel Szyld
     Netlib News: Greetings
     SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics 
     SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Daniel B. Szyld <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 90 15:16:08 EDT
Subject: New Address for Daniel B Szyld

Dear Friends and Colleagues: My new address is

Daniel B Szyld
Department of Mathematics
Temple University
Philadelphia, PA 19122
(215) 787 7288
[email-masked]

Please make the appropriate changes in your records and in the
mailing lists. Thank you.

------------------------------

From: Eric Grosse <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 15:55 EDT
Subject: Netlib News: Greetings

This is the first in a quarterly series of columns about netlib.
Never heard of it?  Then read:  Jack J.  Dongarra and Eric Grosse,
``Distribution of mathematical software via electronic mail'', 
Communications of the ACM (1987) 30, 403-407.

Or, if that's too much trouble, just send e-mail containing the line
``help'' to the Internet address [email-masked] or uucp
address uunet!research!netlib.  A few minutes later, assuming you
have speedy mail connections, you will receive information on how to
use netlib and an overview of the many mathematical software libraries
and databases in the collection.

Each column in this series will start with a background discussion of
how netlib is run, applications in other fields, security horror
stories, and so on.  The second half of column will briefly describe
recent additions to the collection and important updates of old codes.
If there are specific topics you would like to see addressed in future
issues, let me know.

Strictly speaking, this column only applies to the netlib running at
Bell Labs in New Jersey.  If you're accessing the copy at Oak Ridge, or
Oslo, or Wollongong, or perhaps elsewhere, then the files should either
be there already or will show up shortly when our semi-automatic
procedures resynchronize the collections.

This first column provides a nice opportunity to publicly thank our
sponsors.  The U.S. National Science Foundation provided an early grant
to help get us started, and implicitly helps by funding the national
network.  AT&T has donated machine resources, communication
facilities, and my time.  Sequent generously loaned a machine, operated
by Oak Ridge National Laboratory, to support netlib.  The Norwegian
government, through a grant to Petter Bjorstad, purchased a machine
to provide service to Europe.  The ACM agreed to redistribution of its
Collected Algorithms, and Algorithms Editor R. J. Renka arranged for
prompt updates.  SIAM contributed its membership database.  To all
these groups and the many others who contribute, the community owes
thanks.

Naturally, this thanks should not be expressed in the form of a lawsuit
if you're unhappy with some piece of software.  None of the
organizations had anything to do with the content, and even the editors
make no claims about the suitability of the software for any purpose.
That's the meaning of the disclaimer ``Anything free comes with no
guarantee.''

On the other hand, don't be completely frightened off by this warning.
The mathematical algorithms in netlib include some of the most
sophisticated and robust methods to be found anywhere.  Just remember
that a healthy skepticism is appropriate when you get software from any
source.

*** Recent additions ***

PLTMG edition 6.0 is a package written by Randy Bank, UCSD, for
solving elliptic partial differential equations in general regions of
the plane.  It features adaptive local mesh refinement, multigrid
iteration, and a pseudo-arclength continuation option for parameter
dependencies.  The package includes an initial mesh generator and
several graphics packages.  Full documentation can be obtained in the
PLTMG User's Guide, newly published in the SIAM Frontiers in Applied
Mathematics series.

This library consists of a number of Fortran files and a few C files,
most of which (aside from the graphics) are machine independent.  Since
the package is rather large, it has been made available via ftp
research.att.com, for those who have Internet access.  Log in as 
anonymous and cd dist/pltmg.  You must uncompress the .Z files
once you have a copy of them.  Someday we plan to make all of netlib
available by ftp.

Version 2.1 of the dhrystone benchmarks in Ada, C, and Pascal is
a new release from Reinhold Weicker, replacing the earlier (1984)
version.

Source code and runtime libraries for the Fortran-to-C converter
are now available, courtesy of Stu Feldman of Bellcore, David Gay and
Norm Schryer of AT&T Bell Labs, and Mark Maimone of CMU.  Since last
fall, you have been able to exercise f2c by sending netlib a message
whose first line is execute f2c and whose remaining lines are the
Fortran 77 source that you wish to have converted.  Return mail brings
you the resulting C, with f2c's error messages.  During the initial
experimental period, incoming Fortran is being saved in a file.  Don't
send any secrets!

The na-digest directory is an archive of the NA-NET Digest, an
electronic mailing moderated by Gene Golub and Cleve Moler.  File names
are of the form v87n1.  (Starting with 1990, names are of the form
v90n01, to simplify sorting.)

VFFTPK Version 2.1, May 1990 is a vectorized package of Fortran
subprograms for the fast Fourier transform of real sequences, by Roland
Sweet and Linda Lindgren, NIST Boulder, and Ronald Boisvert, NIST
Maryland.  It is a vectorization (for transforming multiple sequences)
of the package FFTPACK (Version 3, June 1979) written by Paul N.
Swarztrauber of NCAR.

This was written 27 July 1990 and is intended to be co-published
in the electronic NA-NET Digest, the SIAM News, and the SIGNUM
Newsletter.  The author is in the Computing Science Research Center at
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill NJ 07974, USA.  He can be reached
by email at [email-masked].

------------------------------

From: SIAM Publications Department <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 90 14:05 EDT
Subject: SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics 
 
Table of Contents 
SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics 
V0l. 50, No. 6, December 1990 

A Localized Approximation Method for Vortical Flows 
R. E. Caflisch, O. F. Orellana, and M. Siegel 
 
Slender Jets and Thin Sheets with Surface Tension 
Lu Ting and Joseph B. Keller 
 
A Centre Manifold Description of Containment Dispersion in Channels with
Varying Flow 
Properties 
G. N. Mercer and A. J. Roberts 
 
A Theoretical Remark about Waves on a Static Water Surface Beneath a Layer of
Moving Air 
T. Kida, R. Hayashi, and Z. Yasutomi 
 
On Series Expansions Giving Closed-Form Solutions of Korteweg--de Vries-Like
Equations 
Mark W. Coffey 
 
On a System of Nonlinear Boltzmann Equations of Semiconductor Physics 
F. Poupaud 
 
The Resistive and Conductive Problems for the Exterior Helmholtz Equation 
T. S. Angell, R. E. Kleinman, and F. Hettlich 
 
Electric Current Computed Tomography and Eigenvalues 
D. G. Gisser, D. Isaacson, and J. C. Newell 
 
Inversion Formulas for the Linearized Problem for and Inverse Boundary Value
Problem in Elastic 
Pospection 
Masaru Ikehata 
 
Synchronization of Pulse-Coupled Biological Oscillators 
Renato E. Mirollo and Steven H. Strogatz 
 
Spatial Structures and Periodic Travelling Waves in an Integro-Differential
Reaction-Diffusion 
Population Model 
N. F. Britton 
 
A Reduction Algorithm for an Ordinary Differential Equation Admitting a
Solvable Lie Group 
George Bluman 
 
Invariant Solutions for Ordinary Differential Equations 
George Bluman 
 
Sepatrix Crossing:  Time-Invariant Potentials with Dissipation 
F. Jay Bouralnd and Richard Haberman 
 
On Boundary Conditions of an Inverse Strum--Liouville Problem 
Rafael del rio Castillo 
 
Froebenius Analysis of Higher Order Equations:  Incipient Buoyant Thermal
Convection 
David L. Littlefield and Prateen Desai 
 
Singular Complex Periodic Solutions of van der Pol's Equation 
C. Hunter and M. Tajdari 
 
Analogues of Split Levinson, Schur, and Lattice Algorithms for
Three-Dimensional Random Field 
Estimation Problems 
Andrew E. Yagle 
 
For additional information regarding SIAM journals, please contact Vickie
Kearn, Publisher, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 3600
University City Science Center, Philadelphia, PA  19104-2688; telephone (215)
382-9800; e-mail: [email-masked]; Fax: (215) 386-7999.

------------------------------

From: SIAM Publications Department <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 90 14:58 EDT
Subject: SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis

SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis 27-6
DECEMBER, 1990 
Tentative Table of Contents 

Convergence of a Variable Blob Vortex for the Euler and
Navier-Stokes Equations 
Thomas Y. Hou 
 
Boltzmann Type Schemes for Gas Dynamics and the Entropy Property 
B. Perthame 
 
A Local Refinement Finite-Element Method for One-Dimensional
Parabolic Systems 
Peter K. Moore and Joseph Flaherty 
 
Projection Methods for a Class of Hammerstein Equations 
Jukka Saranen 
		 
Iterative Solution Methods for Plate Bending Problems: Multigrid
and Preconditioned eg Algorithm				 
P. Peisker, W. Rust, and E. Stein 
 
Piecewise Solenoidal Vector Fields and the Stokes Problem 
Garth A. Baker, Wadi N. Jureidini, and Ohannes A. Karakashian 
		 
Equivalence of Finite Element Methods for Problems in Elasticity
Richard S. Falk and Mary E. Morley 
 
Rate of Convergence of Multistep Codes Started by Variation of
Order and Stepsize 
L. F. Shampine and W. Zhang 
 
Conditioning and Dichotomy in Differential Algebraic Equations 
M. Lentini and R. Marz 

Differential Algebraic Equations, Indices, and Integral Algebraic
Equations 
C. W. Gear 
 
Extrapolation of the Iterated-Collocation Method for Integral
Equations of the Second Kind 
Q. Lin, I. H. Sloan, and R. Xie 
 
A Taxonomy for Conjugate Gradient Methods 
Steven F. Ashby, Thomas A. Manteuffel 

Algebraic Multilevel Preconditioning Methods, II 
O. Axelsson and P. S. Vassilevski 
 
Monotonicity and Discretization Error Estimates 
O. Axelsson and L. Kolotilina 
 
On the Conjugate Gradient Solution of the Schur Complement System
Obtained from Domain Decomposition 
Lois Mansfield 
		 
A Regularization Method for Solving the Finite Convex Min-Max
Problem 
Cristina Gigola and Susana Gomez 
 
Convergence Characteristics of Methods of Regularization
Estimators for Nonlinear Operator Equations 
Finbarr O'Sullivan 

For additional information regarding SIAM journals, please
contact Vickie Kearn, Publisher, Society for Industrial and
Applied Mathematics, 3600 University City Science Center,
Philadelphia, PA  19104-2688; telephone (215) 382-9800; e-mail:
[email-masked]; Fax: (215) 386-7999.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------