Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 90 22:46:10 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, July 8, 1990   Volume 90 : Issue 24

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Winners of Householder Prize
     More About Choleski
     Error Bounds for Tensor Splines
     Re: "Scaling, Underflow, and Rank Deficiency" and "Extending the BLAS"
     ASE 91 Conference
     Chair at University of Grenoble
     List of Reports on Scientific Computing in Japan

-------------------------------------------------------

From: G. W. Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 90 08:19:23 -0400
Subject: Winners of Householder Prize

This year the Householder Prize for the best thesis in numerical
algebra was awarded to two people.  They were

Maria Elizabeth Go Ong
Thesis Title: Hierarchical Basis Preconditioners for Second Order
              Elliptic Problems in Three Dimensions
Advisor: Loyce Adams
Insitutuion: Applied Math. Dept., University of Washington

and

Alan Edelman
Thesis Title: Eigenvalues and Condition Numbers of Random Matrices
Advisor: Nick Trefethen
Insitutuion: MIT

I hope you will join with me in congratulating them on their
accomplishment.  The competition was fierce.  Sixteen theses were
Submitted, all of high quality and several of them outstanding.  With
new people like this coming up, the field is in no danger of
stagnation.

The prize committee consisted of Chandler Davis, Beresford Parlett,
Axel Ruhe, Pete Stewart (chair), and Paul Van Dooren.  Pete Stewart
will rotate off the committee and his place will be taken by Olof
Widlund.  Beresford Parlett will be the new chairman.

Pete Stewart

------------------------------

From: Jerzy Wasniewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 07:48:18 EDT
Subject: More About Choleski

I checked in the Polish Armorial. The name "Cholewski" is
a polish name. His family emigrated from Poland to France.
His ancestry were good polish patriots. The correct
writing is

                    C H O L E W S K I

The pronansiation can be express in english

                      H O L E S K Y

Best regards,
       Jerzy

------------------------------

From: John G. Aspinall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 90 17:11 EDT
Subject: Error Bounds for Tensor Splines

Has anyone generalized the Hall & Meyer results ("Optimal Error Bounds
for Cubic Spline Interpolation" J Approx Th. 16 (1976)) to tensor splines?

(reply to me, please, don't swamp the list; I'll provide a summary for
anyone who wishes)
John Aspinall, Symbolics Inc.

------------------------------

From: Dave Dodson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 90 16:33:51 -0500
Subject: Re: "Scaling, Underflow, and Rank Deficiency" and "Extending the BLAS"

I would like to respond to Roger Grimes' criticism ("Extending the BLAS,"
NA Digest, Volume 90: Issue 19, May 13, 1990) of Cleve Moler's submission
("Scaling, Underflow, and Rank Deficiency," NA Digest, Volume 90: Issue 18,
May 6, 1990).

Moler proposed creating another Basic Linear Algebra Subprogram, DSCALD,
which scales a vector by dividing by a scalar, in contrast to the existing
BLAS subprogram DSCAL which scales a vector by multiplying by a scalar.
Moler gave ample justification for such an addition and I agree with him
that it would be advantageous to extend the Basic Linear Algebra Subprograms
to include such a capability.  I agree with Grimes that Moler did not do a
good job of integrating his proposal into the BLAS framework.  However,
I don't think Grimes did an adequate job of stating his case, which would
have been stronger had he given a specific criticism and a detailed
counterproposal.  This submission is intended to correct these shortcomings.

The problem Grimes was addressing is that the family of BLAS subroutines
_SCAL can have either a one- or a two-character prefix.  The allowed
prefixes are S, D, C, and CS.  Two additional prefixes, Z and ZD, are
common nonstandard extensions applicable to those computer systems with
Fortran compilers that can handle a double precision complex data type.
The point Grimes was trying to make is that you cannot add a suffix
character D to a name such as CSSCAL without stepping outside the bounds
of the current ANSI Fortran Standards, which allow names only as long as
six characters.

I would like to propose an extension to the BLAS that was co-developed by
John Lewis and me.  The operation is called "vector reciprocal scaling"
and has names of the form _RSCL with the same prefixes allowed as for SCAL.
We purposely chose a root name which could be abbreviated in four characters
that would not begin with S, D, C, or Z.  Thus, the acceptable usages are
as follows:

Purpose:

        Given a real or complex scalar  a  and a real or complex
        vector  x  of length  n, these subprograms perform the
        reciprocal vector scaling operation

                                x <-- x / a

Usage:

        INTEGER          N, INCX
        REAL             A, X(LENX)
        CALL SRSCL (N, A, X, INCX)

        INTEGER          N, INCX
        DOUBLE PRECISION A, X(LENX)
        CALL DRSCL (N, A, X, INCX)

        INTEGER          N, INCX
        COMPLEX          A, X(LENX)
        CALL CRSCL (N, A, X, INCX)

        INTEGER          N, INCX
        REAL             A
        COMPLEX          X(LENX)
        CALL CSRSCL (N, A, X, INCX)

        INTEGER          N, INCX
        DOUBLE COMPLEX   A, X(LENX)    ! the declaration the compiler allows
        CALL ZRSCL (N, A, X, INCX)

        INTEGER          N, INCX
        DOUBLE PRECISION A
        DOUBLE COMPLEX   X(LENX)      ! the declaration the compiler allows
        CALL ZDRSCL (N, A, X, INCX)

Entry: N       The number of elements of vector  x  to be used in the
                scaling operation.  If N .LE. 0 the subprograms do not
                reference  X .

        A       The scalar  a.

        X       Array of length  LENX = (N-1)*ABS(INCX)+1  containing the
                input  x  vector.

        INCX    Increment for the array  X, INCX .GT. 0.  The vector  x
                is stored forward in array  X  with stride  INCX; i.e.,
                x[i] is stored in array element X((i-1)*INCX+1).

Exit:   X       If  N .LE. 0  then  X  is unchanged.  Otherwise,  x / a
                replaces the input.

Notes:  A divide-by-zero error may occur if  A .EQ. 0.

        The subroutines need not compute the result by division, but
        will not produce any overflows or underflows if  x[i] / a  never
        overflows or underflows.  (This allows the usually faster
        code suggested by Moler to be used.)

------------------------------

From: Daniel Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90  12:30 GMT
Subject: ASE 91 Conference

                      CALL FOR PAPERS
                     ASE 91 Conference
                             on
                Application of Supercomputers
                       in Engineering

  Sponsored by Wessex Institute of Technology and NSF (pending)

                    BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS
                      August 13-15 1991

  ORGANIZATION AND EDITORIAL COMMITTEE:

  Dr. Carlos Brebbia,
  Director of Wessex Institute of Technology,
  Southampton, UK

  Professor Avi Lin,
  Department of Mathematics,
  Temple University and ICOMP NASA, USA

  Dr. Daniel Howard,
  Numerical Analysis Group,
  Oxford University and Rolls Royce PLC, UK

  Dr. Ing. Alex Peters
  IBM Deutschland GMbH
  Heidelberg, West Germany

INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC ADVISORY COMMITTEE:

Dr. R. D. Ciskowski,  IBM Kingston, USA
Prof. D. J. Evans,  U. of Technology, Loughborough, UK
Prof. Dr. W. Gentzsch, FM Regensburg, West Germany
Dr. F.K. Hebeker,  IBM Heidelberg, West Germany
Dr. R. Hiromoto,  Los Alamos National Laboratory, USA
Prof. A. Jameson, Princeton University, USA
Prof. Y. Paker,  Poly. of Central London, UK
Mr. E. Schnepf, Siemens AG, Munich, West Germany
Dr. T. Takeda, Ohbayshi Corporation, Tokyo, Japan

CONFERENCE THEMES:

The first conference, ASE 89, took place in Southampton University and
resulted in the publication of two volumes of proceedings. At that conference
the emphasis was mainly on the impact of supercomputer architectures on the
engineering community and on the meaning of benchmark tests for these
computers.

The themes of ASE 91 will have a stronger emphasis on parallel algorithms
for the efficient solution of partial differential equations, on examples of
large scale computation which have had an impact on an engineering design,
as well as on hardware and software aspects of supercomputing which result
in more efficient indirect memory addressing, ie. for numerical solution
methods on unstructured grids.  Invited speakers on these and other relevant
topics will be disclosed in a future announcement.

Contributors should consider four main subject categories when submitting
an abstract:

(1) New and better algorithms for parallel engineering computation:

(a) multigrid and vector extrapolation schemes
(b) conjugate gradient methods
(c) operator split and domain decomposition
(d) the mathematics of parallel computation
(e) Finite and Boundary Element algorithms

(2) Examples of engineering applications on vector and parallel computers:

(a) structural dynamics, rock and ice mechanics
(b) fatigue, impact, and crash simulations
(c) Computational Fluid Dynamics, heat transfer and combustion
(d) turbulence and environmental modelling
(e) shallow water equations
(f) soil mechanics
(g) CAD and CIM interacting with Finite/Boundary Elements

(3) Three dimensional visualisation of engineering problems using the latest
   algorithms, hardware configurations and distributed systems.

(4) We would like to see hardware manufacturers, industrialists and applied
   academic researchers tackling the debate on the merits of unstructured,
   multiblock and body fitted grids for solution of discrete engineering
   problems by the engineer. `Philosophical' papers from people with a
   wealth of practical experience are welcome under this subject category.
   Papers dealing with hardware or software approaches to an efficient
   indirect addressing memory management in current/future supercomputers
   will be particularly welcome.

Papers are invited on the topics outlined above and on other topics which
will fit within the general scope of the conference.

TIME SCHEDULE:

 Submission of abstracts:           1st November 1990 (deadline)
 Preliminary acceptance:           15th December 1990
 Submission of final paper:         5th April 1991
 Final acceptance:                 17th May 1991
 Conference venue:            13th-15th August 1991

ABSTRACTS should be no longer than 300 words and should clearly state
the purpose, results and conclusions of the work to be described in the
final paper.  Final acceptance will be based upon review of the full
length paper.

ALL ABSTRACTS must be submitted to the Conference Secretary:

                     Liz Neuman,
                     Conference Secretary,
                     W.I.T., Ashurst Lodge
                     Ashurst, Southampton,
                     SO4 2AA, England, UK

                     Tel: 44-703-293223
                     FAX: 44-703-292853

For further information on ASE 91 please contact the Conference Secretary
above. Specific conference theme queries may be addressed to the following:

E-mail:   [email-masked]  or  [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Raphaele Herbin <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jun 90 18:39 -0600
Subject: Chair at University of Grenoble

The Univerity Joseph Fourier (Grenoble 1) and the Control Data Company
have created a chair of Industrial Mathematics in October 1989.
Applications are invited for high level specialists of computational
mathematics and numerical simulation. Salary is about $45000 a year.
Candidates from University or Industry are encouraged to apply.
This is a six month or one year appointment.
For further information please contact :
Jacques Blum                                                  
Laboratoire de Modelisation et Calcul
BP 53X 
F-38041 Grenoble Cedex  (France)
tel (33) 76 51 48 60
or
E. Tournier, e-mail : [email-masked]
To apply, send curriculum vitae to :
M.A. Nemoz, President of the Joseph Fourier Univerity,
BP 53XF-38041 Grenoble Cedex (France)

------------------------------

From: David Kahaner <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Jul 90 10:56 +0200
Subject: List of Reports on Scientific Computing in Japan

All except those noted are available by electronic mail.
Questions should be addressed to me, electronically if possible. For
other correspondence use the address below.
    From within the USA...
        Dr. David K. Kahaner
        Office of Naval Research, Far East
        APO SF 96503-0007
    From other locations...
        Dr. David K. Kahaner
        Office of Naval Research, Far East
        Roppongi 7-23-17
        Minato-ku, Tokyo 106 Japan
    Tel: (03) 401-8978, Fax: (03) 403-9670

Apr 11 12:16 trprpt.290
    (1) Trip report 20-24 Feb 1990, Hiroshima and Ehime Universities
    (2) Brief reports:
                 9 Feb, Quantum Magneto Flux Project
                13-14 Feb, UTokyo
                15 Feb, Hitachi Central Research Lab
                26 Feb, Nat Res Lab Metrology, Tsukuba
                 1 Mar, Parallel computing meeting, Keio University

Apr 11 12:19 quality.sw
     The Second International Workshop on Software Quality Improvement
     was held in Kyoto, Japan, from 22-24 January 1990. The workshop was
     jointly organized by Professor Torii (Osaka University) and
     Professor Basili (University of Maryland). The workshop is
     summarized from the perspective of a numerical analyst. The major
     conclusions are that some Japanese companies are better at managing
     the software development process than comparable U.S. companies and
     that more interaction is needed between numerical and nonnumerical
     software developers.

Apr 11 12:23 trp12-89
     Accompanying Professor Gene Golub, Computer Science Department,
     Stanford University to Institute of Statistical Mathematics, PAX
     computer project at University of Tsukuba, IBM's Tokyo Research
     Laboratory, Kyoto University's Research Institute for Mathematical
     Sciences, and Ryukoku University.

Apr 11 12:26 speech.etl
    Summary of the report, Researches of the Electrotechnical Laboratory,
    Number 905, December 1989.  "Studies on a Vocal Tract Model for
    Speech Synthesis and Analysis" (126 pages including 124 item
    bibliography) by
                       Hiroshi Ohmura
                       Speech Processing Section
                       Machine Understanding Division
                       Electrotechnical Laboratory

Apr 11 12:52 sna90
     The First International Conference on Supercomputing in Nuclear
     Applications (SNA90) was held from 12-15 March 1990 in Mito City,
     Japan.  This paper summarizes the significant presentations and
     vendor exhibits associated with Japanese software and hardware.

Apr 11 14:56 jifip (Not available electronically)
     Titles and authors of March 1990 meeting of Japan Information
     Processing Society (more than 1000).

Apr 12 08:55 pax
     The PAX parallel processing project developed at the University of
     Tsukuba by T. Hoshino is summarized. PAX is a two dimensional array
     of processors which operate in MIMD form. QCDPAX has a fast floating
     point unit, specially programmed for QCD calculations.  Peak
     performance is 12.5 Gigaflops.

Apr 25 10:01 crc
     This report illustrates the breadth of applications and research
     areas of a "service bureau" organization, Century Research
     Corporation (CRC), Tokyo.

Apr 25 13:52 scj90
     Supercomputing Japan 90, 27-29 March 1990, Tokyo, Japan, and visit
     to NEC to see SX/3 supercomputer.

Apr 25 15:46 fujitsu.3d
    Fujitsu's 3D movie generated partially via CAP 256 parallel computer.

Apr 28 11:31 anritsu
    Commercialization of PAX by Anritsu Corporation.

May  1 14:55 yosh
    Report by H. Yoshihara on Japanese Supercomputer Performance on
    specific computational fluid dynamics benchmark program and
    comparison with Cray.

May  9 10:55 isdn
    Papers on ISDN (Integrated Service Digital Network).

May 24 10:09 j-supers.590
    List of supercomputers in Japan.

May 24 15:22 ohbayashi
    Computer Modeling in the Construction Industry--
    Ohbayashi Corporation's Research Lab

May 30 09:30 sony
     An overview of Sony's Computer Science Laboratory (CSL) is given.
     CSL specializes in research on object-oriented programming and
     distributed operating systems.

Jun  4 12:22 ibm-nic
     The IBM Tokyo Numerically Intensive Computation Center is reviewed.
     This center mainly supports users who wish to develop vectorized
     versions of programs on IBM's 3090 VF computers. The Tokyo Research
     Laboratory performs longer term research in computer science,
     mathematics, graphics, and languages.

Jun  5 11:33 pp90
     Titles of papers presented at Information Processing Society of
     Japan Symposium on Parallel Processing '90, 17-19 May 1990.

Jun 14 09:57 atr
     The Advanced Telecommunication Research Institute (ATR)

Jun 21 13:39 japgovt
     A brief outline of Japanese Government ministries and agencies is
     shown with an emphasis of those that support science and technology.
     Several major projects related to computing are described.

Jun 26 10:33 nipt
     A proposed new MITI national project "New Information Processing
     Technology" (NIPT) merging soft information processing with massive
     parallelism is described. The proposed project is also compared to
     related work in other countries. I am told that the project, in some
     form, has a good chance of being supported in the near future.

Jul  2 07:36 10ssymp
     The tenth meeting of Software Symposium, held in Kyoto Japan 6-8
     June 1990 is briefly summarized. The most interesting aspects were
     discussions by the Chinese of their national project.

Jul  2 07:37 etl
     A visit to the Data Flow project at ETL is summarized. The Dataflow
     SIGMA-1 computer project is ending. The new project EM-4, will have
     1,024 processors and is designed to have less overhead. EM-4 was
     originally proposed for symbolic rather than numeric computation,
     but the designers now feel that with the inclusion of floating point
     hardware it will also be used for numerical computation. Currently
     an 80 processor version of EM-4 is running at 997 MIPs.

Jul  2 09:53 spice
     We review research at Toshiba in vectorizing the circuit simulation
     program SPICE, and research at NEC at building a special purpose
     multiprocessor for circuit simulation modeling.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------