Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 90 22:09:41 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, June 3, 1990   Volume 90 : Issue 22

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     New Address for Philips Research Laboratory
     School on Parallel Architectures and Applications
     Final program for SPO2, Madison, July 23-25, 1990
     The Eighth Parallel Circus
     Unstructured Computation on Multiprocessors

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Paul Van Dooren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 90 15:09:59 +0200
Subject: New Address for Philips Research Laboratory

Philips Research Laboratory Brussels is moving next week to a new address :

Philips Research Laboratory Belgium
Av. Albert Einstein, 4
B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
Belgium

Tel : +32 10 470611
Fax : +32 10 470699

Some Privalte numbers :

Courtois : +32 10 470669
Genin    : +32 10 470659
Van Dooren +32 10 470658

E-mail remains the same, but the service will be interupted for about a week
starting from June 11th. We are effectively moving on June 11.

In case of problems, the FAX number should be operating already now.

Paul Van Dooren

------------------------------

From: Karsten Decker <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 May 90 11:05 +0200
Subject: School on Parallel Architectures and Applications

                      THIRD ANNOUNCEMENT:
 
                   European Physical Society  
                  Computational Physics Group   

        3rd Graduate Summer Course on Computational Physics  
              Parallel Architectures and Applications  
                        to be held at
               Cret-Berard    Puidoux   Switzerland  
                    September 3 - 7, 1990

This course is sponsored by the Computational Physics Group of the European
Physical Society, and is the third one of a series which takes place every
second year. The first one in 1986 was on 'Finite Element Methods in Physics',
the second one in 1988 on 'Numerical Methods for Parallel Vector Computers'.

Program 

 R.W. Hockney, Reading      Parallel Architectures   
 G.C. Fox, CALTECH          Hypercube Architectures and Applications   
 K.C Bowler, Edinburgh      Transputer Machines and Applications   
 J. Richardson, TM          Connection Machine and Applications   
 I. Guyon, AT&T Bell Labs   Neural Networks and Applications   
 R. Gruber, EPFL            Software Development Strategies for Parallel   
                            Architectures with Distributed Memory 

Topics

Parallel architectures

The course will present an overview on parallel architectures in general
with special focus on parallel machines with distributed memory.
Strong and weak points of the different types of architectures are critically
discussed and compared. Software development environments and tools for
parallel architectures are presented and the importance of these tools for
the strongly application oriented user is explained. Models describing
the performance of parallel architectures with shared and distributed
memory architectures are discussed.

Software development strategies for parallel architectures

After presenting an introduction to numerical modelization in general,
the course will discuss the different phases, starting from real experiment,
switching to physical and numerical modeling. Special focus is on the
adaptation of numerical approaches to modern parallel architectures.

Neural networks

The course will describe the current state-of-the-art in neural computing.
It will not assume prior expertise in neural networks. The six lessons
presented will cover machine learning and biological computation, learning
rules and implementations for adaptive artificial neurons, neural network
systems, applications like pattern recognition and signal processing, and
a review of existing software design tools, hardware implementations, neural
network journals, books, and conferences.

Applications

A major fraction of the course is dedicated to the presentation of the
successful implementation of a broad spectrum of applications drawn from
physics, engineering, computer science and other areas. The usefulness of
the distinct types of parallel architectures for a collection of very
CPU-intensive applications is compared, and, depending on the type of
architecture, concrete techniques are presented, by means of which these
applications can be mapped to the hardware in an optimal fashion.

Organization

During the five days of the course, there will be six hours of lectures
each day, supplemented by informal discussion sessions during the day and
in the evening. A detailed program and abstracts of the lectures will be
issued to those attending. The full collection of the written versions of
the lectures will become available at the time of the summer course. The
proceedings will be published in a special issue of Computer Physics Reports.

 Deadline for application:      End of July 1990  
  
 Address for application:       Karsten M. Decker  
                                IAM  
                                University of Berne  
                                Laenggassstr. 51  
                                CH-3012 Berne   
                                SWITZERLAND  
                                [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Robert Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 90 09:52:00 -0500
Subject: Final program for SPO2, Madison, July 23-25, 1990

		SYMPOSIUM ON PARALLEL OPTIMIZATION 2

			23 - 25 July 1990

		Center for Parallel Optimization
  			Computer Sciences Department
  			University of Wisconsin
  			Madison, Wisconsin 53706

          A 3-day symposium of invited presentations on
state-of-the-art algorithms and theory for
the parallel solution of optimization and related problems will be held
at University of Wisconsin at Madison with support from the AFOSR
and in cooperation with SIAM. (The SIAM National Meeting will be
taking place in Chicago the preceding week.)
Emphasis will be on algorithms implementable on parallel and vector
architectures.  Refereed proceedings of the Symposium are planned as
a special issue of the new SIAM Journal on Optimization.
The final list of speakers and talks is given below.

          Although the symposium will be comprised of invited talks as
indicated above, registration (early registration by May 30: $50; late
registration $65) is open to all persons wishing to attend. 
A registration form and information on lodging is deposited in
netlib and may obtained via email to netlib (mail [email-masked])
with the request:
			  send SPO from meetings

For information beyond that in netlib, contact the SPO2 Secretary, Laura Cuccia,
or one of the organizers,  O. L. Mangasarian, R. R. Meyer at the above address.
Secretary: (608)262-0017,  email: [email-masked], FAX (608)262-9777.

SPO2 Speakers and Talks:

Richard S. Barr & William Stripling	Parallel approaches to fixed charge
Southern Methodist University &		network problems
American Airlines

Dimitri P. Bertsekas			Parallel forward path search: A new
MIT					dual coordinate ascent algorithm for
					shortest paths

Donald E. Brown & C.L. Huntley		Parallel genetic algorithms as control
University of Virginia			structures for local optimizers

Renato De Leone & Robert R. Meyer 	Serial and parallel solution of 
University of Wisconsin			large-scale multicommodity networks

John E. Dennis Jr. & Virginia Torczon	Direct search methods for parallel
Rice University				machines

L. C. W. Dixon				On parallel truncated Newton and 
Hatfield Polytechnic (England)		and variable metric algorithms

Michael C. Ferris & Olvi L. Mangasarian Parallel distribution of convex 
University of Wisconsin			programming constraints

John J. Grefenstette			Parallel search with genetic algorithms
Naval Research Laboratory

Heinz Muhlenbein                        Parallel genetic algorithms and
Carnegie-Mellon Univesity		combinatorial optimization

Stephen G. Nash & Ariela Sofer 		A practical truncated-Newton method
George Mason University			for parallel optimization

James M. Ortega				Preconditioned conjugate gradient 
University of Virginia			methods for elliptic boundary value
					problems

Yu. E. Nestorov & A. S. Nemirovsky	Parallel computations and interior-point
USSR Academy of Sciences (Moscow)	methods for structured nonlinear convex 
					programs

J. Ben Rosen, R.S. Maier & J. Glick	Parallel solution of large-scale,
University of Minnesota			block-angular concave programs

Russell A. Rushmeier &                  A Cooperating multiple search approach
George L. Nemhauser			for parallel integer programming
Rice University & Georgia Tech

Ahmed Sameh & Randall Bramley		Projection methods for solving sparse
University of Illinois			nonsymmetric linear systems on
					multiprocessors

Paul Tseng				On the rate of convergence of partially
MIT					asynchronous gradient algorithms

Dirk Van Gucht				Parallel genetic algorithms applied to
Indiana University			the traveling salesman problem

Layne Watson & Alexander P. Morgan	Serial and parallel global 
Virginia Polytechnic Institute		optimization of polynomial programs
					via homotopy algorithms

Stephen J. Wright   			Partitioned dynamic programming
Argonne National Laboratory

Stavros A. Zenios			Massively parallel network
University of Pennsylvania		optimization with a financial
					application

------------------------------

From: Israel Nelken <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 1990 15:20:45 -0400
Subject: The Eighth Parallel Circus

                          FIRST  ANNOUNCEMENT

                       Eighth   Parallel   Circus
                        Location: Toronto, Canada
                       Dates: October 26-27, 1990

Continuing the tradition that began at Yale in 1986,  the  Department  of
Computer  Science at the University of Toronto will be hosting the Eighth
Parallel Circus in Toronto on Friday and Saturday, October 26-27, 1990.

The Parallel Circus is an informal conference which  emphasizes  parallel
algorithms for scientific computing.

This is the first time the Circus will be held outside of the USA, and we
hope  to  have  many  attendees from Canada, the USA and other countries.
The circus is unique in that it has one and only  one  focus,  scientific
computing  on  parallel machines.  Another feature is that there has been
lots of informal discussion and a very  healthy  mix  of  industrial  and
academic participants.

GRADUATE  STUDENTS  ARE  ESPECIALLY  WELCOME.

*** Air Transportation ***

We have arranged special conference air  fares  with  Air  Canada. To get
the  special  rate, call them toll free (800) 361-7585 from either Canada
or the USA. Mention the code number 90-972 and they will give you:

1)    The best available fare.
or
2)    a. 15 % off economy fares for flights within Canada.
      b. 25 % off coach for flights from the USA.
      c. 35 % off coach for USA flights if available.

For (2a) and (2c) there is a requirement of 7 days  advance  booking.   A
minimal stay of 2 nights but less than 15 days is required.

*** Accommodations ***

We have made arrangements for a block of  discount  rooms at  the  Delta-
Chelsea Inn, Toronto. It is just a short walk from the University Campus.
The  price is $86 CAD per night for a  single  or  $96  CAD  double
room.  To  get  the discount rate you should use the code letters "GIMAL"
and please reserve your room by Sept. 26th., 1990.

                      Delta-Chelsea Inn, Toronto
                      73 Gerrard St. West

                      Phone numbers: (800) 268-9070
                                     (416) 595-1975

Toronto also has several less expensive but comfortable Bed  & Breakfast
outfits. Their  prices  are  $45-55  CAD for a single and $65-75 CAD for 
a double. Call Susan Oppenheim at (416) 598-4562 and she'll be  glad  to
book you a room. Mention that you need a place close by to the University
of Toronto campus.
	
Note: All prices are quoted in Canadian Dollars (CAD). Currently  $1  CAD
is about $0.85 US.

*** Chinese Banquet ***

Continuing the tradition, we will have a Chinese Banquet on Friday  
evening. Please indicate if you would like to come. We estimate the
price to be about $25 CAD.

*** Presentations ***

Presentations will be about 30 minutes long -- 25 minutes plus
5  minutes  for questions and discussion. Their actual lengths 
will depend on the number of participants.

The circus will begin on Friday morning.  Although there is no 
prescribed program, we will end by  early  Saturday afternoon. 
Participants who give a talk and leave are generally regarded
as anti-social so you should plan to attend all of the talks.

*** Visas to Canada ***

Visas to Canada may be required for non-US citizens. Please check with  a
Canadian Consulate.

Organizers: Gene Golub, Izzy Nelken, Ken Jackson and Christina Christara.

For further information, including an electronic registration form,
please contact:

  Izzy Nelken
  Department of Computer Science
  University of Toronto
  Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
  Phone:    (416) 978-5899
  Fax:      (416) 978-4765
  e-mail:   [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Joel Saltz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 90 18:21:41 EDT
Subject: Unstructured Computation on Multiprocessors

               Unstructured Scientific Computation on
                     Scalable Multiprocessors

                       October 28-30, 1990
                    Ramada Inn, Nags Head, NC
                       Sponsored by ICASE

     Unstructured and  dynamically  varying  algorithms  play  an
increasingly  critical  role  in  scientific  computation.  Thus,
mapping  such  algorithms  onto  scalable  multiprocessors  is  a
pressing  practical  concern.   This workshop will address issues
raised when implementing such algorithms on  architectures,  such
as  the  present  generation  of hypercube machines, which can be
scaled to the teraflop performance range.  Problems  of  greatest
interest include:

      PDE solvers using unstructured and/or adaptive meshes

      Algorithms for problems in sparse linear algebra

      Adaptive fast multipole methods

      Particle-in-cell and vortex-chasing methods

     The focus here is  on  problems  in  which  the  information
necessary  for  effective  mapping  and  load  balancing  is  not
available until run time. Invited speakers will  address  aspects
of  these  problems, including pacing issues in algorithm design,
problem partitioning and  load  balancing,  software  tools,  and
algorithm performance characteristics:

      Geoffrey  Fox    --  Irregular   Problems   on   Concurrent
      Processors

      Manuel Salas    -- Unstructured Adaptive Methods for CFD

      Harold Trease   -- Free  Lagrangian  Calculations  on  SIMD
      machines

      David Nicol     -- Static and Dynamic Load Balancing

      Roy  Williams    --  Irregular   Meshes   and   Distributed
      Machines

      David Keyes     -- Adaptive Domain Decomposition

     Contributed papers are also  solicited  for  this  workshop.
Papers,  selected on the basis of originality and relevance, will
be allocated 30 minute sessions; to be considered, submit a  1000
word  extended  abstract  to  the  address below, by September 1,
1990.  Authors will be notified by September 15, 1990,  and  full
papers  for  inclusion in the proceedings must be in our hands by
January 1, 1991.

     Ms. Emily  Todd,  ICASE,  MS  132C,  NASA  Langley  Research
Center, Hampton, VA 23665.

         Email: [email-masked]                          
	   Phone: (804) 864-2174

Organizing Committee:  P. Mehrotra, J. Saltz, J. Scroggs, J.  Van
Rosendale, R. Voigt

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------