Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 89 12:14:13 PST

NA Digest   Sunday, November 26, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 46

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Change of Address for Moler
     Some Corrections to EISPACK
     SIAM 1990 Annual Meeting
     Third European Conference on Multigrid Methods
     Positions at University of Alabama at Birmingham
     Positions at the University of Kansas

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Cleve Moler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Nov 26 09:16:32 PST 1989
Subject: Change of Address for Moler

     A couple of weeks ago, I made an announcement here that
The MathWorks, the MATLAB companay, was looking to fill several
positions, including one for a numerical analyst.  Now, I've
decided to take that slot myself.  I'm one of the founders of
MathWorks, and have always been a consultant to the company, but
now I'll be a full time employee.  For a while at least, I'll
be working out of my home in California, even though MathWorks
headquarters is in Massachusetts.  (There are already a couple
of other MathWorks developers in the Bay Area.)  My address and
phone number are:

     Cleve Moler
     The MathWorks
     325 Linfield Place
     Menlo Park, CA 94025

     415-323-4412

My electronic address is "[email-masked]".  If your mailer
can't find the route via uunet to mathworks.com, you can still
use "[email-masked]".

------------------------------

From: Burt Garbow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 89 13:59:38 CST
Subject: Some Corrections to EISPACK

     We've recently come across a couple of minor bugs in EISPACK.
They only affect the results in rare situations.  The corrections
to HQR, COMLR2, and COMQR2 repair errors introduced in going to
Edition 3, while the correction to BANDR substitutes more robust
coding to avoid overflow.

[Editor's Note: The changes have already been made in the source
code available from [email-masked] and should be made soon
in [email-masked]. --Cleve]

HQR (DO-loop indices)

  DO statements

         do 200 j = k, n
         do 210 i = 1, j
         do 230 j = k, n
         do 240 i = 1, j

  should be replaced, respectively, by

         do 200 j = k, EN
         do 210 i = L, j
         do 230 j = k, EN
         do 240 i = L, j

COMLR2 and COMQR2 (DO-loop indices)

  DO statements

         do 840 i = 1, enm1
         do 820 j = ip1, n
         do 880 jj = low, enm1

  should be replaced, respectively, by

         do 840 i = 1, N
         do 820 j = I, n
         do 880 jj = low, N

BANDR (Overflow protection)

  Line

         S2 = 1.0D0 / (1.0D0 + B1 * B2)

  should be replaced by

         IF (ABS(B1) .GT. 1.0D0) THEN
            U = 1.0D0 / B1
            S2 = U / (U + B2)
         ELSE
            S2 = 1.0D0 / (1.0D0 + B1 * B2)
         ENDIF

------------------------------

From: M. Jones, SIAM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 89 10:02 EDT
Subject: SIAM 1990 Annual Meeting

SIAM 1990 Annual Meeting and Short Course
July 15-20, 1990
Hyatt Regency Hotel, Chicago, Illinois

Invited Presentations

  Crystal Microstructure via Elasticity Theory
     John M. Ball, Heriot-Watt University

  Wavelets Making Waves in Mathematics and Engineering
     Ingrid Daubechies, AT & T Bell Laboratories

  Nonlinear Morphologies in Directional Solidification
     Stephen H. Davis, Northwestern University

  The Mathematics of Mixing Things Up
     Persi Diaconis, Harvard University

  Solving Large-Scale Combinatorial Optimization Problems in Practice
     Martin Groetschel, Universitat Augsburg

  Algebraic Computation Comes of Age
     Anthony C. Hearn, The RAND Corporation

  Mathematical Modeling of Unstable Growth Processes
     George M. Homsy, Stanford University

  Networks in Neurophysiology
     Nancy Kopell, Boston University

  Control of Systems Arising in Flexible Structures
     Irena Lasiecka, University of Virginia, Charlottesville

  The Matrix Sign Function and Large Scale Riccati Equation
     Alan J. Laub, University of California, Santa Barbara

  Wanted: Applied Mathematicians to Try the Fruit Fly Challenge
     Garrett M. Odell, University of Washington

  Interior Point Methods for Linear Programming - State-of-the-Art
     David F. Shanno, Rutgers University

  Linear and Nonlinear Stability in Granular Flow
     David G. Schaeffer, Duke University.

Papers and Posters -- Abstract Deadline:  February 2, 1990

Minisymposia -- Abstract Deadline:  January 19, 1990

For additional information, please contact: 
SIAM Conference Coordinator
3600 University City Science Center
Philadelphia, PA  19104-2688.
Telephone: (215) 382-9800.
E-mail: [email-masked]
FAX: (215) 386-7999

------------------------------

From: Horst Schwichtenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Nov 89 18:39:45 GMT
Subject: Third European Conference on Multigrid Methods

          ANNOUNCEMENT AND 1ST CALL FOR PAPERS
                       for the
   THIRD EUROPEAN CONFERENCE ON MULTIGRID METHODS

                OCTOBER 1 - 4, 1990
                BONN, WEST GERMANY

organized by:  Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung (GMD)

Chairmen:

Ulrich Trottenberg    GMD and University of Cologne
Wolfgang Hackbusch    University of Kiel

Themes:

The conference, continuing the sequence of conferences in 1981 and 1985,
will again bring together specialists and others with interest in the
general area of multilevel methods.

Themes of the conference will range from basic research to industrial
applications, with special emphasis on

    - adaptivity
    - parallel computation

including such subjects as adaptivity of grids and of discretization,
parallelization and efficient implementation of multigrid algorithms on
new computer architectures and domain decomposition techniques.

All fields of application are welcome; special topics will be

    - computational fluid dynamics
    - device simulation
    - porous media flow
    - statistical physics

Invited lectures will be given by

A. BRANDT       Rehovot, Israel
E. DICK         Gent, Belgium
P. W. HEMKER    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
A. JAMESON      Princeton, USA
P. G. LAUWERS   Bonn, W. Germany
O. McBRYAN      Boulder, USA
J. W. RUGE      Boulder, USA
K. STUEBEN      Sankt Augustin, W. Germany
P. WESSELING    Delft, The Netherlands
H. YSERENTANT   Dortmund, W. Germany

Submissions

containing title and abstract (maximum 1 page), as well as name and
address of the author(s), should be sent together (3 copies) to the
conference chairmen (use mailing address of the conference secretariat).
Deadline for the receipt of abstracts is March 15. Notice of acceptance
will be given by May 15.  Selected contributions will be published as
full papers in the conference proceedings (to appear in the Birkhaeuser
Verlag, Basel).  The deadline for the submission for these full papers
will be fixed during the conference.

Location

of the conference will be the Gustav-Stresemann-Institut, situated in
the `government quarter' of Bonn-Bad Godesberg.  All conference sessions
will be held there.

Accommodation and meals

will be provided at the Gustav-Stresemann-Institut. The approximate
prices for accommodation including meals (full board) are DM 118,- for
1-bed rooms and DM 98,- for 2-bed rooms per person and day.

Registration

Please send the completed registration form to the conference
secretariat. (Order registration form from address below.) The
conference fee is DM 400,-  for advanced registration (to be payed by
July 15th) and DM 480,- after July 15th, 1990.  For a limited number of
students conference attendance at reduced fee is possible.  Students
interested shall send a written proposal to the conference chairmen.
The conference fee includes social events, particularly a banquet.

Organization

U. Gaertel and J. Linden,  GMD
e--mail address: [email-masked]

Conference secretariat

Christine Harms
GMD
P.O. Box 1240
D--5205 Sankt Augustin 1
West  Germany
Telephone (49) 22 41 14 24 73
Telefax   (49) 22 41 14 23 42
Telex      889 469 gmd d

Dates in 1990

March 15       deadline for abstracts
May 15         notice of acceptance
June 15        final program
July 15        deadline for advanced registration
September 15   deadline for registration
October 1-4    conference

------------------------------

From: Warren Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 89 12:54:10 cst
Subject: Positions at University of Alabama at Birmingham

               FACULTY POSITIONS AVAILABLE
                          UAB
          University of Alabama at Birmingham

The Department of Computer and Information Sciences invites applications for
tenure-track positions available fall 1990. Rank open. The Department
administers programs at the B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. levels. Parallel processing
and artificial intelligence are the two major research directions of the
Department. Therefore, applicants who have research interests in these two
areas are of special interest as well as those who are interested in the
integration of these areas with the areas of database systems, numerical
computing or graphics/image-processing.

The Department research laboratory equipment includes a variety of Sun
workstations and a 30 processor Sequent Balance 21000 parallel computer as
well as access to the Alabama Supercomputer Network Authority Cray XMP/24.
The Department is also a university affiliate of the Advanced Computer
Facility at the Argonne National Laboratory providing access to a variety
of parallel machine architectures. Opportunities are also available for
collaboration with biomedical researchers in the UAB Medical Center.

Birmingham is a major metropolitan area of almost 900,000 and is a
southeastern center of finance, telecommunications and medicine. It
was recently selected by Newsweek magazine as one of the top ten cites
in the U.S., characterizing Birmingham as "a friendly, prosperous city
feeding on a high-tech blend of biomedical research, engineering and
telecommunications". UAB is a comprehensive sunbelt university and
ranks among the top 20 public universities in the U.S. in terms of
federal research and development. In 1989 UAB surpassed the $100M per
year mark in active grants and contracts. Enrollment is over 15,000
students.

Applicants should hold the Ph.D. in computer science or closely related
field and have a strong interest in both research and teaching.
Interested individuals should send a resume and names of three references
to Dr. Warren T. Jones, Department of Computer and Information Sciences,
UAB Station, Birmingham, AL 35294. UAB is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer.

------------------------------

From: Ralph Byers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 89 13:03 CDT
Subject: Positions at the University of Kansas

                      Job Announcement
                 Department of Mathematics
                    University of Kansas

Applications are  invited  for  tenure-track  and  temporary
positions  at  all  levels, commencing mid August 1990 or as
negotiated.  Field is unrestricted but  preference  will  be
given  to  numerical analysis, probability/statistics and to
areas meshing well with the department's needs.  A Ph.D. (or
Ph.D.  dissertation  accepted  with  only  formalities to be
completed) is required.

Application, detailed resume with  description  of  research
and  three  recommendation  letters  should be sent to C. J.
Himmelberg, Chairman, Department of Mathematics,  University
of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045-2142. (The department may also
be  contacted  by   email   at   [email-masked]   or
[email-masked].)

For details, contact Ralph Byers at the  above  address,  by
email at [email-masked] or by telephone (913)864-3651.

Deadlines: December 1, 1989 for  first  consideration,  then
monthly until August 1, 1990.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------