Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 89 15:57:45 PST

NA Digest   Sunday, November 12, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 44

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Good Math Software in ADA ?
     Navier Stokes for Speech Synthesis
     Internet Connection at University of Southwestern Louisiana
     Statistics on Number of Papers Published
     ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms
     Householder Fellowship at Oak Ridge
     Positions at Los Alamos National Laboratory
     CONPAR 90 / VAPP IV Joint Conference
     Moscow Domain Decomposition Conference
     Positions at Arizona State University

-------------------------------------------------------

From: John Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 89 13:57:52 PST
Subject: Good Math Software in ADA ?

Our Math Library people have recently had a number of requests for
standard software capabilities in ADA rather than Fortran.  Does
anyone out there in na-net-land have a good handle on the state
of conversion of good algorithms and packages (especially linear
algebra) to ADA?

	John Lewis
	Boeing Computer Services
	206-865-3510
	na.jlewis....

------------------------------

From: Hibbert Duncan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 89 15:07:35 gmt
Subject: Navier Stokes for Speech Synthesis

I am presently in the Eng. Dept. at Cambridge U. working in
the area of speech synthesis. I am trying to model the vocal
tract using the Navier Stokes eqs.  Multigrid is method I
would like to use on the discretized (finite difference)
eqs. and Newtons iteration for linearization.

I understand that you might be able to give me some help in
finding existing programs that might be of use to me. I
would prefer to work in 'C' but Fortran would be OK; I
believe there is are programs that can convert Fortran into
a pseudo 'C' code.

I would be extremely grateful for whatever assistance you
can offer.

Thanks,
      Hibbert Duncan
      [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Baker Kearfott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 89 11:09:08 CST
Subject: Internet Connection at University of Southwestern Louisiana

My institution has just installed an Internet connection, which is
a continuous connection at 56 Kilobaud;  it supersedes our CSNet connection,
which was a phone line connection at 1200 baud, for two hours in the
middle of the night.

My INTERNET address is:

[email-masked]

If you automatically reached me before at [email-masked], then there is
nothing new to be done.  However, if you used an explicit address, then
you should now access me through INTERNET at the above address, instead
of through CSNet (This includes mailings from monitored discussion
groups, such as Digests.)

The new connection should greatly facilitate exchange of electronic
versions of technical reports, of test problems, and of software
(such as new versions of INTBIS), as our bill is no longer proportional
to the volume of traffic.

I'm looking forward to further correspondence.

Baker Kearfott
Dept. of Math.
University of Southwestern Louisiana
U.S.L. Box 4-1010
Lafayette, Louisiana 70504-1010

[email-masked]   (INTERNET address)

------------------------------

From: Kris Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 89 15:58:50 -0800
Subject: Statistics on Number of Papers Published

As part of the faculty evaluation process in our department, we are
trying to collect statistics on the the typical number
of papers published yearly by faculty in different disciplines.  

Our Mathematical Sciences Department includes Applied Math,
Computer Science, Math, Math Education and Statistics.
We are part of a College of Sciences whose other departments
include Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Astronomy, Geology and
Psychology.

We are particularly interested in statistics for any of our 
areas of the mathematical sciences compared to the other
Sciences in our College. 

If you know of any data, or can point us to someone who has
investigated this situation, please pass it on to:

Kris Stewart
Dept. Math Sciences
San Diego State University
San Diego, CA 92182

([email-masked]   or   [email-masked])

------------------------------

From: Vickie Kearn, SIAM <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 89 09:50 EDT
Subject: ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms

The First ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms
January 22-24, 1990
Cathedral Hill Hotel
San Francisco, California

Invited Presentation

Experimental Analysis of Traveling Salesman Heuristics
Jon Bentley, AT&T Bell Laboratories

On-Line Algorithms Versus Off-Line Algorithms: How Much
is it Worth to Know the Future?
Richard Karp, University of California, Berkeley

The k-Path Problem
Paul Seymour, Bell Communications Research

Topics

Combinatorial Optimization
Geometry and Graphics
Numerical and Scientific Computing
Combinatorics and Graph Theory
Algebra and Number Theory
Symbolic Computation
Mathematical Programming
Artificial Intelligence
Data Structures

For additional information contact SIAM Conference Coordinator at:

SIAM
3600 University City Science Center
Philadelphia, PA  19104-2688
Telephone: (215) 382-9800
Fax: (215) 386-7999
E-Mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Bob Ward <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 89 12:26:53 EST
Subject: Householder Fellowship at Oak Ridge

	  HOUSEHOLDER FELLOWSHIP IN SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING

		  Mathematical Sciences Section
		  Oak Ridge National Laboratory

The Mathematical Sciences Section of Oak Ridge National Laboratory
(ORNL) invites outstanding candidates to apply for the 1990 Alston S.
Householder Fellowship in Scientific Computing.

In recognition of the seminal research contributions of Dr. Householder
to the fields of numerical analysis and scientific computing, a
distinguished postdoctoral fellowship program has been established at
ORNL and named in his honor.  The Householder Fellowship is supported
by the Applied Mathematical Sciences Subprogram of the U.S. Department
of Energy.

The purposes of the Householder Fellowship are to promote innovative
research in scientific computing on advanced computer architectures and
to facilitate technology transfer from the laboratory research
environment to industry and academia through advanced training of new
computational scientists.  The Householder Fellowship is for a term of
one year, renewable for a second year.  Benefits of the Fellowship
include a competitive salary, fringe benefits, travel opportunities,
access to state-of-the-art computational facilities (including both
parallel architectures and high-performance personal workstations), and
collaborative research opportunities in a very active research program
in advanced scientific computing.  Competition for the appointment is
open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.  Applicants should have
completed a doctoral degree in computer science, mathematics, or
statistics within three years prior to the appointment and have a
strong background and research interest in large-scale scientific
computing.

The Mathematical Sciences Section of ORNL has research programs in
Computational Mathematics, Computer Performance Characterization,
Applied Analysis, and Computational Statistics.  The precise research
emphasis of the Householder Fellow would necessarily depend to a great
degree on the research interests of the selected Fellow.  Areas of
particular interest at ORNL, and in which applicants would be
especially encouraged, include:

1. Computational linear algebra, with special emphasis on sparse matrix
computations on advanced computer architectures.

2. Partial differential equations, with special emphasis on the
development of novel algorithms for solving mathematical problems arising
in environmental cleanup, such as fluid flow through porous media.

3. Tools for the development and analysis of parallel programs,
including programming environments for parallel computers and methods
for measuring and modeling the behavior and performance of parallel
algorithms.

4. Computational statistics, with special emphasis on the development
of procedures and algorithms for use in the design and analysis of
computational experiments, computer-aided experimental design, and
large-scale statistical problems.

5. ``Grand Challenges'' in computational science, emphasizing the use
of advanced computer architectures to solve important problems in
science and engineering in which fundamental breakthroughs are
dependent on unusually large computational requirements that tax the
capacity of current supercomputers.

Applicants should send a resume, statement of research goals, and the
names of three references to James Atherton, PhD Employment, Oak Ridge
National Laboratory, P.O. Box 2008, Oak Ridge, TN, 37831-6216, marked
``Attn: Householder Fellowship.''  The deadline for applying is
December 1, 1989, and the selection committee's decision on the winning
candidate will be announced in January 1990.  The position will
commence in 1990.

For further information contact Robert C. Ward by phone at 615-574-3125
or by electronic mail at [email-masked].

------------------------------

From: David Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 89 11:50:38 MST
Subject: Positions at Los Alamos National Laboratory

			POSITIONS IN APPLIED MATHEMATICS
			AT LOS ALAMOS NATIONAL LABORATORY

The following positions are available in the Computing Research Group
(C-3) at Los Alamos National Laboratory:

STAFF MEMBER, C-3. (Job # 90869 RA, Two openings).

  RESPONSIBILITIES: Research and consultation in applied  mathematics.
  Serve as a member of a team involved in analysis and development of
  analytical and computational algorithms for solving problems in
  applied mathematics and mathematical physics. Collaborate with
  Laboratory scientists in other disciplines, particularly
  mathematical modeling and numerical analysis.

  EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Demonstrated leadership and research
  ability, and publication record in area of applied mathematics and
  mathematical physics. Experience with state-of-the-art computers and
  computational environments desirable. U.S. citizenship is required.

  EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: PhD in applied mathematics, numerical
  analysis, computer science or related field.

  To obtain application information, contact

        Los Alamos National Laboratory
        Employment Group MS P282
        Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545
        (505) 667-4392

POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW, C-3. (general openings).

  RESPONSIBILITIES: Research in applied mathematics. Work in a group
  of applied mathematicians involved in analysis and development of
  analytical and computational algorithms for solving problems in
  applied mathematics and mathematical physics.

  EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: PhD in applied mathematics,
  numerical analysis, computer science or related field. Research
  background in areas complementing the interests of other
  members of the group. Experience with state-of-the-art computers
  and computational environments and/or expertise in analytical
  techniques desirable. U.S. citizenship is not required.

  To obtain application information, contact

        Los Alamos National Laboratory
        Special Employment Program MS P290
        Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545
        (505) 667-4392

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Successful applicants for these positions will be working in an
active group of applied mathematicians with widely varying
interests. Current research topics include computational fluid
dynamics, numerical solution of integral equations, modelling of
chemically reacting systems, asymptotic analysis of
reaction-diffusion equations, symplectic integration methods,
construction of composite overlapping grids for the numerical
solution of PDEs, adaptive grid construction, image processing,
stochastic PDEs and algorithms for advanced architecture machines
and distributed computing networks.  Members of the group have
access to several Cray XMP and YMP multiprocessor supercomputers, a
64K processor Connection Machine, Ardent and Stellar graphics
superworkstations, and a network of Sun workstations of various
flavors. Group members are provided with personal workstations
appropriate for their research needs.  Researchers are encouraged to
travel to scientific conferences, and to maintain and develop
collaborations with other scientists both within and
outside the Laboratory. A generous travel budget is provided.

Los Alamos National Laboratory is located in the beautiful
Jemez Mountains of northeastern New Mexico. The altitude of
7500 feet guarantees  a moderate climate and clean air all year
around, while the surrounding mountains, canyons and pine
forests provide many opportunities for hiking, cross-country
and downhill skiing and other outdoor activities. The Laboratory
is an easy 40 minute drive from Santa Fe, the capitol city of New
Mexico and world-reknowned Southwest cultural center. Albuquerque
is 100 miles away by car or 30 minutes by regularly-scheduled
commuter airline.

For further information about the positions, please contact either
 	
  David Brown   (505) 667-0120  [email-masked]
      or
  Pat Hagan     (505) 667-6546  [email-masked]

  Computing Research Group MS B265
  Los Alamos National Laboratory
  Los Alamos, NM 87545

------------------------------

From: Peter Arbenz <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Nov 89 10:08:47+0100
Subject: CONPAR 90 / VAPP IV Joint Conference

(A couple of weeks ago I sent a conference announcement for
 insertion into the NA-Digest. Unfortunately, the announcement
 had to be edited. In that process the VAPP part of the CONPAR/VAPP
 Joint Conference got lost. Here is the complete announcement again.
   Peter Arbenz)

[Editor's note: Sorry 'bout that.  -- Cleve ]

CONPAR 90 / VAPP IV Joint Conference on Vector and Parallel Processing

Swiss Federal Institute of Technology  ETH
Zuerich, Switzerland

September 10-13, 1990

The past decade has seen the emergence of the two highly successful series
of CONPAR and of VAPP conferences on the subject of parallel processing.
The Vector and Parallel Processors in Computational Science meetings were
held in Chester (VAPP I, 1981),  Oxford (VAPP II, 1984) and Liverpool (VAPP
III, 1987). The International conferences on Parallel Processing took place
in Erlangen (CONPAR 81),  Aachen (CONPAR 86) and Manchester (CONPAR 88). The
format of the joint meeting will follow the pattern set by its predecessors.
It is intended to review hardware and architecture developments together
with languages and software tools for supporting parallel processing.
Another objective of the conference will be to highlight advances in
algorithms and applications software on vector and parallel architectures.

It is expected that the programme will cover languages/software tools,
hardware/architecture, algorithms/software and applications.

Also special sessions will be devoted to the field of application and/or
programming language specific architectures; i.e. machines, where
performance has been gained through limiting the field of applications, or
systems designed according to a joint optimization of programming language
and architecture.

Other topics of special interest are
* performance analysis for real-life applications
* testing and debugging of parallel systems
* portability of parallel programs
* paradigms for concurrency and their implementation

The conference should appeal to anyone with an interest in the design and
use of vector and parallel machines.

Call for Papers
Original papers are invited for the conference. Five copies of the full
paper (maximum of 10 pages) are to be submitted no later than Feb 1, 1990.
The proceedings of the joint VAPP/CONPAR conference will be published as a
volume in the Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science series.

For further information contact

Prof. Dr. Helmar Burkhart
Institut fuer Informatik
Universitaet Basel
Mittlere Strasse 142
CH-4056 Basel
Switzerland

phone:  +41 61 449967
e-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Olof Widlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 10:53 EDT
Subject: Moscow Domain Decomposition Conference

Call for papers for the
Fourth International Symposium
on Domain Decomposition Methods
for Partial Differential Equations
Moscow, USSR, May 21-25, 1990

Dear Colleague:

The Soviet Academy of Sciences has undertaken to organize the Fourth
International Symposium on Domain Decomposition Methods for Partial
Differential Equations.  It will take place in Moscow, May 21-25, next year.

The three previous conferences in this series were quite successful.  They
were held in Paris in January 1987, at UCLA in January 1988 and in Houston
in March of this year.  The Paris conference was sponsored by SMAI and co-
sponsored by SIAM.  The Houston conference was sponsored by SIAM and co-
sponsored by SMAI.  As you probably know, the proceedings of the first three
conferences have been or are being published by SIAM.  Proceedings are also
planned for the Moscow meeting--published in Russian by the Soviet Academy
of Science and in English by SIAM.

At the Houston conference there were extensive conversations on the Moscow
meeting, with active participation by the two Soviet participants, Yuri
Kuznetsov and Valeri Agoshkov, a representative of SIAM, and a number of
Western scientists.  A program committee was formed, of which I am a member.

The program will focus almost exclusively on domain decomposition methods but
some talks on multigrid methods might also be scheduled.  The preliminary plan
calls for thirteen invited speakers of which four will be from the Soviet
Union and nine from the West.  In addition, there will be a number of shorter
contributions.  A full day excursion is planned but there will also be four
full days of scientific activity.  I have every expectation that most of the
leading contributors to the field will participate and that it will be a very
successful conference.

The Soviet scientists would like as wide an international participation as
possible, but they also stress it might not be possible to accommodate
everyone who has an interest in attending because of a shortage of hotels and
other facilities.  Nevertheless, they and the program committee wish to
encourage all scientists to express their interest in participating by
submitting an abstract of a contributed talk.  There is no fixed format, but
we recommend that the abstract be limited to 100 words and that it contain a
description of the problem, an explanation of why it is important, and how it
is solved.  Prospective participants should also provide additional
information on previous research on domain decomposition methods and related
areas.

Please send your abstract and additional information no later than December
15, 1989 to:

		Olof Widlund
		c/o SIAM
		3600 University City Science Center
		Philadelphia, PA  19104-2688
		(215) 382-9800
		E-Mail: [email-masked]
		Fax: (215) 386-7999
		Telex: 446715

Members of the program committee will then contact the Soviet organizers
before the end of the year.  We hope that it will be possible to notify all
interested parties relatively early next year whether they can be accommodated
and what the costs will be.  All Western participants will have to cover at
least their air fare to Moscow from non-Soviet sources.  While there will be
no conference fee, a number of participants will also have to cover at least
some of their living expenses in Moscow.

Olof Widlund, Program Committee
c/o Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
251 Mercer Street, Room 530
New York, NY  10012
Phone: 212-998-3310

------------------------------

From: H.D. Mittelmann  <[email-masked], na.mittelmann>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 10:43:02 MST
Subject: Positions at Arizona State University

            POSITIONS at ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY
                  DEPARTMENT of MATHEMATICS

The Department of Mathematics invites applications for tenure-track and
visiting faculty positions at all ranks. The Department is in the third
year of a major development program intended to build nationally recog-
nized research groups of 4 to 7 faculty members in various areas inclu-
ding COMPUTATIONAL MATHEMATICS. Computing facilities are excellent in-
cluding an Advanced Research Facility in the department.

During the past two years 12 appointments were made at various levels.
For next year at least SIX more positions can be filled. This adver-
tisement specifically addresses the  NA-community and strongly encour-
ages applications in COMPUTATIONAL MATHEMATICS to further strengthen the
existing group in this area (A. Feldstein,Z. Jackiewicz,H.D. Mittelmann,
R. Renaut, C. Ringhofer). Salaries and start-up funds are very competi-
tive.

The department will start to review applications as of December 1, 1989.
A full display advertisement will appear in the November issue of SIAM
News. Applicants should send their resumes and arrange for at least 3
letters of recommendation to be sent to: William T. Trotter, Chair, De-
partment of Mathematics, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287-1804.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------