Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 89 13:01:03 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, October 22, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 41

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Change of Address for Izzy Nelken
     Change of Address for Magnus Ewerbring
     Change of Address for Bruce Bukiet
     Positions at University of Kansas
     Visualization and Graphics Symposium
     Positions available at NASA Ames Research Center
     NSF Phases Out JvNC 

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Israel Nelken <[email-masked]>
Date: 	Mon, 16 Oct 89 09:35:32 EDT
Subject: Change of Address for Izzy Nelken

Izzy Nelken has graduated from Rutgers University
and can now be reached at:

Izzy Nelken
Department of Computer Science
University of Toronto
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A4
CANADA

Phone: (416) 978-5899
Fax:   (416) 978-4765
Internet: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Magnus Ewerbring <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 89 15:26:40 CDT
Subject: Change of Address for Magnus Ewerbring

Please note my new address:
	
	Magnus Ewerbring
	Mathematics and Computer Science Division
	Argonne National Laboratory
	9700 South Cass Avenue
	Argonne, Il 60439

	phone: (312)972-3118
	e-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Bruce Bukiet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 89 08:32:44 EDT
Subject: Change of Address for Bruce Bukiet

My new address is:
Bruce Bukiet
Department of Mathematics
New Jersey Institute of Technology
Newark, NJ 07102
(201)596-3495
e-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Ralph Byers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 89 18:21 CDT
Subject: Positions at University of Kansas

                      Job Announcement
                 Department of Mathematics
                    University of Kansas

Applications are  invited  for  tenure-track  and  temporary
positions  at  all  levels, commencing mid August 1990 or as
negotiated.  Field is unrestricted but  preference  will  be
given  to  numerical analysis, probability/statistics and to
areas meshing well with the department's needs.  A Ph.D. (or
Ph.D.  dissertation  accepted  with  only  formalities to be
completed) is required.

Application, detailed resume with  description  of  research
and  three  recommendation  letters  should be sent to C. J.
Himmelberg, Chairman, Department of Mathematics,  University
of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045-2142. (The department may also
be  contacted  by   email   at   [email-masked]   or
[email-masked].)

For details, contact Ralph Byers at the  above  address,  by
email at [email-masked] or by telephone (913)864-3651.

Deadlines: December 1, 1989 for  first  consideration,  then
monthly until August 1, 1990.

------------------------------

From: George Sell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 89 19:27:13 cdt
Subject: Visualization and Graphics Symposium

             UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA
            VISUALIZATION AND GRAPHICS  
                  A SYMPOSIUM

                30 November 1989
       at the Minnesota Supercomputer Center
 
                Presentations by

                 Terry Lybrand
                 Albert Marden
               Subbiah Ramalingam
                 L.E. Scriven
                 Paul Woodward

                 Sponsored by

 Army High Performance Computing Research Center
 Institute for Mathematics and its Applications
        Geometry Supercomputer Project
       Minnesota Supercomputer Institute

  For further information please contact:  

           MSI Symposium Coordinator
      Minnesota Supercomputer Institute
            1200 Washington Ave S
            Minneapolis, MN  55455
                (612) 625-1818

------------------------------

From: Horst Simon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 89 16:28:02 -0700
Subject: Positions available at NASA Ames Research Center

			    OPEN POSITIONS
		      NASA Ames Research Center
		     NAS Applied Research Office
		      Mountain View, California

The Numerical Aerodynamic Simulation (NAS) Systems Division at NASA
Ames Research Center operates a national supercomputer center, with a
4-processor Cray-2, an 8-processor Cray Y-MP, a high-speed
communications network, and high-performance color graphics
workstations.

Recently NAS established the Applied Research Office, one of whose
missions is to perform state-of-the-art research in highly parallel
computation for fluid dynamics applications.  Our organization now
operates a Connection Machine CM-2, with 32,768 processing nodes and
floating-point hardware.  Later this year a new generation hypercube
system, with true supercomputer performance, will be added to this
facility.

The Applied Research Office is seeking additional personnel to take
the lead in working with NASA fluid dynamicists to implement important
applications on our highly parallel computer systems.  Included in the
effort is the development of new algorithms and computational
techniques to obtain high performance on the target systems.
Qualifications for these positions include the following:

   An advanced degree in computer science, mathematics, physics, or
   engineering.

   Programming experience on an advanced parallel computer system
   in a scientific application.  Experience on a MIMD hypercube
   system is particularly desirable.

   Familiarity with computational fluid dynamics or other similar
   PDE applications.

   Published articles in parallel computing or numeric computation. 

   Familiarity with Fortran and the Unix operating system.

U.S. citizenship is not required, but candidates must be at least
permanent U.S. residents.  Both civil service and contractor positions
are available.  Interested persons should contact

David H. Bailey
NASA Ames Research Center
Mail Stop T045-1
Moffett Field, CA 94035
Telephone: 415-694-4410
Internet: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: David Salzman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 89 21:54:28 EDT 
Subject: NSF Phases Out JvNC 

Press Release

17  October 1989

For Immediate Release

For further information, contact :
Dr. Doyle Knight, President
Consortium for Scientific Computing
The John von Neumann National Supercomputer Center
Princeton, NJ  
Telephone : 609-520-2000

	The Consortium for Scientific Computing has been informed by 
the National Science Foundation that NSF will not renew its 
funding for the John von Neumann National Supercomputer Center 
beyond September 1990, at the end of the current five year grant 
period.  The NSF indicated that the reason for non-renewal was the 
collapse of ETA Systems, the Center's supercomputer vendor, in 
April 1989.

	"I was surprised and very disappointed by this decision,"
said Doyle Knight, President of the Consortium for Scientific 
Computing.  "In our judgement, this action  is inconsistent with 
the recommendation of the NSF's own Peer Review Panel and with the 
recommendations contained in the Federal High Performance 
Computing Program report issued just last month by the Office of 
Science and Technology Policy."
 
	In April, the Control Data Corporation, the owner of ETA Systems 
and the manufacturer of the ETA10 (the supercomputer currently 
employed at the Center), announced that it would be discontinuing 
its supercomputer activities, including support for the ETA10.  
Following that decision, the Consortium revised its program plan 
and submitted a new renewal proposal on June 1, substituting an 
eight-processor Cray Y-MP for the ETA10.  The revised proposal was 
reviewed by an NSF Peer Review Panel,  which recommended that the 
JvNC be renewed for another five-year period.  

	"Our proposal involved major cost sharing from state, university 
and industrial sectors.  The State of New Jersey and Consortium 
institutions committed $18 million in direct cash funding for the 
JvNC for the next five years," said Richard Spies, Vice President 
for Finance and Administration at Princeton University and 
Treasurer of the Consortium for Scientific Computing.  "Based upon 
information provided to us by the National Science Foundation, 
this financial support is the second largest commitment from state 
and university sources among the five NSF supercomputer centers."

	"We hope that the National Science Foundation will reconsider 
this decision," said Bruce Ekstrand, Vice Chancellor for Academic 
Affairs at the University of Colorado and Chairman of Board of 
Trustees for the Consortium for Scientific Computing.  "In our 
judgement, the NSF decision does not fully recognize the quality 
of the JvNC program or the crucial contributions of the JvNC to 
the national scientific and engineering research communities."  
Edward Cohen, Executive Director for he New Jersey Commission on 
Science and Technology, agreed.  "The JvNC has made a major 
contribution to the New Jersey academic and industrial research 
community.  Its impact has been extraordinary in education, 
training and technology transfer."  he said.

	The JvNC began operation in December 1985.  Then Center 
currently supports more than 1400 researchers nationwide in a wide 
range of scientific disciplines including biology, chemistry, 
engineering, mathematics and physics.  The JvNC operates a state-
of-the-art high speed data communications network, the JvNCNET, 
which serves twenty academic and industrial research institutions 
and is a gateway to two international networks.  The JvNCNET was 
the world's first T-1 (1.5 megabit/second) network connecting 
research universities when established in May 1986.

	The membership of the Consortium for Scientific Computing 
includes the University of Arizona, Brown University, University 
of Colorado, Columbia University, Harvard University, Institute 
for Advanced Study, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, New 
York University, Pennsylvania State University, University of 
Pennsylvania, Princeton University, University of Rochester and 
Rutgers University.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------