Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 89 22:34:29 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, August 20, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 32

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Position as Chairman at Illinois
     Thank You from Ray Chin at NSF
     Birthdays 
     Copper Mountain Conference
     MATLAB Primer
     New Reports from Stanford

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Ahmed Sameh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 09:26:15 CDT
Subject: Position as Chairman at Illinois

                The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

                        Department of Computer Science

    The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign invites applications and
nominations for the position of Head of the Department of Computer Science
in the College of Engineering.  The Department of Computer Science conducts
an outstanding educational and research program, embracing major technical
specializations of the profession.  The Department currently has
approximately 45 full-time faculty members, 350 graduate students and 1000
undergraduate majors in several curricula, teaches courses in computer
science for other students, and offers degrees at bachelors, masters, and
doctoral levels.  A new building for the Department nears completion.  The
Head of the Department is the chief administrative officer with
responsibilities for administrative, budgetary, and promotion decisions,
and for leading the faculty in the development of research, teaching, and
public service.
   
    The Search Committee seeks a distinguished computer scientist with
strong research credentials, proven leadership capabilities, and knowledge
of a university environment.  The Head also holds the rank of Professor of
Computer Science with tenure.  Salary is negotiable with appointment to
commence in July, 1990.  The closing date for receipt of applications is
October 20, 1989.  All applications received by this time are assured
consideration, but the search committee will continue until the position is
filled.  Applications should send a curriculum vitae and the names,
addresses, and phone numbers of five references to:

			Professor Ralph O. Simmons, Chair
			Search Committee for the Head of the Department
			   of Computer Science
			University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
			1308 W. Green Street
			109 Engineering Hall
			Urbana, IL  61801
			Phone: (217) 333-3837

The University of Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer.

------------------------------

From: Raymond Chin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 07:42:53 -0400
Subject: Thank You from Ray Chin at NSF

This Friday, August 18 is my last day at the National Science
Foundation.  I like to take this opportunity to express my 
gratitude to the community for all services rendered.  
Your efforts are greatly appreciated by both myself and NSF.

                       THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Sincerely,
Ray Chin

------------------------------

From: Gene Golub <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1989 23:21:45 PDT
Subject: Birthdays 

The 65th birthdays of two emminent mathematical scientists took place in
recent weeks. I don't think it  should pass without notice.

Ed Block who is Executive Director of SIAM has guided SIAM from its
infancy to its current dynamic growth. In fact, he's been pre-occupied
most recently with SIAM's move to new headquarters in Philadelphia.
But we all realize that it is Ed's drive and energy that has made SIAM
such a successful organization. Beyond Ed's organizational skills, it
should be noted that he is always supportive of and concerned about
his colleagues. He is a true gentleman and we wish him many happy
returns.

Ingram Olkin is not only a statistician of emminence but he has been
very concerned with the infrastructure of the mathematical sciences. 
He has spent countless hours in the Washington agencies, working for
the betterment of our science. I was fortunate to attend a banquet in
Washington in his honor. Many of friends praised him not only for his
technical skills but for his warmth, energy and spirit.

Congratulations, Gentleman. We are all in your debt.

Gene Golub

------------------------------

From: Tom Manteuffel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 89 10:13:25 mdt
Subject: Coper Mountain Conference

                         CALL FOR PAPERS
 
                     Copper Mountain Conference
                                on
                         Iterative Methods
 
              Sponsored by ICOMP, DOE, and NSF (pending)
 
     In Cooperation with the SIAM Activity Group on Linear Algebra
 
		      COPPER MOUNTAIN, COLORADO
			   April 1-5, 1990
 
			  Topics of Emphasis:
		       Nonsymmetric Linear Systems
 			Parallel Implementations
		     Novel Preconditioning Techniques

Partial List of Speakers:
 
	Loyce Adams			Seymour Parter
	Steve Ashby			Youcef Saad
	Tony Chan			Ahmed Sameh
	Peter Deuflhard			Paul Saylor
	Howard Elman			Nick Trefethan
	Roland Freund			Dick Varga
	Ann Greenbaum			Olof Widlund
	Martin Gutknecht		David Young
	Y. A. Kuznetsov			Harry Yserentant
	W. Niethammer
 
Conference Deadlines:
 
	Abstracts				Jan 1
	Lodging Reservations			Feb 1
	Papers for Preliminary Proceedings	Feb 15
	Early Registration			Mar 1
 
Organization:
 
Conference Chair: Tom Manteuffel
 
Program Committee:  Seymour Parter  (Chair),  Loyce  Adams,  Steve
Ashby, Howard Elman, Roland Freund, Steve McCormick
 
Steering  Committee:  Randy Bank, Gene Golub, Ann Greenbaum, David
Kincaid, John Miller, Ahmed Sameh, Paul Saylor, David Young,  Olof
Widlund, Henk van der Vorst
 
Format:
 
There  will  be  morning and evening lectures of approximately 1/2
hour each.  An attempt will be made to  avoid  parallel  sessions.
If   necessary,  contributed  talks  will  be  held  in  parallel.
Afternoon Workshops will be organized to  concentrate  on  special
topics.   Evening  Panel  Discussions  will  be  held on topics of
interest.
 
How to Contribute:
 
Potential contributors should submit an abstract of no  more  than
200 words to:
 
		          Tom Manteuffel
		  University of Colorado at Denver
		  Computational Mathematics Group
		1200 Larimer Street, Campus Box 170
		         Denver, CO  80204
 
Abstracts can be submitted by email to:
		    [email-masked]
 
(TeX is preferred but plain ascii, LaTeX, or troff are acceptable)
 
    DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS IS JANUARY 1, 1990.
 
Proceedings:
 
All speakers will be urged  to  submit  a  paper.   A  preliminary
version  of  the proceedings will be available to attendees at the
start of the conference.  Papers must be submitted before February
15 to be included in the preliminary proceedings.  A final version
will be published as a special issue of The SIAM Journal of  SISC.
Submitted  papers will be carefully refereed to ensure publication
quality.
 
Location:
 
The conference will be held at Copper Mountain, Colorado, 75 miles
west  of  Denver.  Condominium accommodations and adjacent meeting
rooms are in the Village Square Lodge at the base  of  the  Copper
Mountain ski lifts.
 
Registration:
 
Please mail the attached registration form with the conference fee
($135.00 for SIAM members, $150.00 for nonmembers, U.  S.   funds)
by  March  1,  1990.   Registrations  marked after March 1 will be
$160.00 for SIAM members, $175.00  for  nonmembers.   Registration
fees  include a copy of the preliminary proceedings, a copy of the
final proceedings to be published by SIAM, a reception  on  Sunday
evening,   coffee  breaks,  and  a  banquet  on  Tuesday  evening.
Cancellations received before March  1  will  be  refunded  fully.
Cancellations  received  from  March  1  through  March 29 will be
refunded less a $50.00 handling fee.  No refunds  will  be  issued
for cancellations received after March 29.
 
Registrations  should  be  mailed  to:   University of Colorado at
Denver, Division of Continuing Education, 1200 Larimer Street, Box
164, Denver, CO 80204, USA.
 
Accommodations:
 
Block  reservations  in deluxe condominiums have been made for the
conference.  A lodge  room  has  one  or  two  queen  beds  and  a
two-bedroom  condominium  has  four  beds,  three  baths, kitchen,
dining area, fireplace, and  glassed-in  balcony.   Each  type  of
accommodation  will  be  available  in  limited  quantities  on  a
first-come, first-served basis.
 
Group rates are available for up to three days before and/or after
the conference.  These rates are:
 
	Lodge Room			$65.00/night
	(one or two queen beds)
	Deluxe  Studio with kitchen	$77.00/night
	(one or two queen beds)
	One bedroom condo		$85.00/night
	Two bedroom condo		$140.00/night

The  above  rates  are subject to local and state taxes (at 5.2%).
Reservations should be  made  directly  with  Copper  Mountain  by
February  1,  1990.   Availability  of  rooms cannot be guaranteed
after February 1.  Participants from  North  America  should  make
reservations  by telephone.  Call toll free (800)458-8386.  Copper
Mountain requires a deposit of one night's  fees  within  14  days
after  requesting reservations.  Overseas participants should make
reservations by  writing  to  Copper  Mountain  Lodging  Services,
Reservations,  P.O.   Box  3117,  Copper  Mountain, CO 80443, USA.
Please enclose payment for the first night as a deposit.
 
Meals:
 
Registration fees include a reception on Sunday evening, April  1,
and  a banquet on Tuesday, April 3.  A variety of fine restaurants
will be easily accessible in Copper  Mountain  Village  throughout
the conference.
 
Transportation:
 
Copper  Mountain is located 75 miles west of Denver via Interstate
70, Exit  195.   Participants  should  make  airline  arrangements
through  Denver's  Stapleton Airport.  All major automobile rental
agencies have counters at Stapleton, and Trailways bus service  is
also available.  (Porterage will be charged to all groups arriving
by bus at a fee of $3.00 per person.)
 
Group rates on rental cars and travel will  be  available  through
the  Apex  Travel  Service  at  Copper Mountain.  Contact Becky or
Roberta at (800)458-8386.
 
Limousine service to Copper Mountain from Stapleton  is  available
through  Resort  Express.   Six trips daily provide easy access to
Copper Mountain.  The fare is $26.00 per person  one  way,  $46.00
round  trip.   Reservations  should  be made in advance by calling
(800)334-7433.
 
Recreation:
 
Colorado  is  noted  for  its  excellent  spring  skiing.    Group
discounts  will  be  available on the purchase of lift tickets for
persons staying three or more nights.  Full day discounted tickets
will be $17.00 for weekends and $16.00 for weekdays after April 1.
Ski equipment rental and group ski lessons are also available.
 
Ice  skating,  cross-country   skiing,   tennis,   swimming,   and
racquetball  are  some  of the other options that participants may
enjoy.  Lodging includes free use of  the  health  club  with  the
exception of tennis and racquetball court fees.
 
Weather:
 
Daytime  temperatures  in the mountains of Colorado in April range
from 20 F to 40 F, with evening temperatures ranging from 0  F  to
20 F.
 
For further information, please contact:
 
		        Tom Manteuffel
		University of Colorado at Denver
		Computational Mathematics Group
	      1200 Larimer Street, Campus Box 170
		     Denver, CO  80204 USA
			(303)556-4810

------------------------------

From: Kermit Sigmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 89 16:51:16 -0400
Subject: MATLAB Primer

As I was teaching a course several years ago in which use of MATLAB was
required, I realized that there was no document available to help the 
students begin to use MATLAB.  To fill this void I wrote a 25 page
document
                          MATLAB  Primer

which is intended for student use in courses which require use of MATLAB.
While this is its primary purpose, it could, of course, serve as an
introduction to MATLAB for others.

"Primer" has been used with success in a number of courses across the   
campus at the University of Florida for the last several years.         
"Primer", along with the on-line help facility, usually suffice for     
the students to use MATLAB in a classroom setting.  It assumes,         
however, that the complete MATLAB User's Guide is available for review
at certain locations -- such as consulting desks, terminal rooms, computing
laboratories, and the reference desk in the library -- as a source   
for more in-depth information.                                          

I am now happy to share the (plain) TeX source for "MATLAB Primer" with
others.  If you wish to use "Primer" in your courses, please let me know
at the address below; I will send you the TeX source via email.

The most convenient method of distribution to students seems to be through
a local copy center where the student can purchase it for a few dollars.  
You can, of course, use any convenient copy center.  However, special
arrangements are being made for distribution through Kinko's copy centers.
If there is one near you, please include its address; I should be able to 
arrange to have "Primer" available at your local Kinko's copy center.
                                                                            
        Kermit Sigmon                    [email-masked]        
        Department of Mathematics        [email-masked]               
        University of Florida                                               
        Gainesville, Florida  32611                                         

------------------------------

From: Gene Golub <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 89 08:27:29 PDT
Subject: New Reports from Stanford

Here is a list of new reports from Stanford. We will be pleased to send them
as long as copies are available. Be sure to send me your postal mail address.

  --Gene

Report: NA-89-08

Modified Moments for Indefinite Weight Functions
	Gene Golub & Martin Gutknecht

Report: NA-89-09

On Generating Polynomials which Are Orthogonal over Several Intervals
	Bernd Fischer & Gene Golub

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------