Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 89 23:14:57 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, June 11, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 23

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     NA Net Digest Policy
     Sparse Convolution
     Dynamical Systems Simulation Package Available
     Computer Operations Position at University of Utah
     Supercomputing Positions at University of Utah
     Multivariate Polynomial Interpolation
     ISSAC 89 Program

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Cleve Moler and Gene Golub <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 11 22:55:09 PDT 1989
Subject: NA Net Digest Policy

We would like to cut back on really long pieces in the 
NA Net Digest.  Many of these long pieces are detailed
programs and registration forms for forthcoming meetings.
After today's Digest, we will limit such announcements to
brief summaries (a few hundred words).  The program itself
can then be sent to anyone who requests it, either from
the originator, or perhaps from netlib.  (How about it,
Jack and Eric?)
  -- Cleve and Gene

------------------------------

From: Chris Kuszmaul <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Jun 89 21:29:59 GMT
Subject: Sparse Convolution

  I am trying to find a fast algorithm for evaluating
the discrete convolution of two functions.

  There is a complication that makes the obvious answer (FFT)
incomplete (maybe):

   Let g and h be the functions to be convolved. I know
g is 'usually' zero, so I have a list of ordered
pairs of locations, and values defining g such as:

((0 1) (100 2) (200 1) (1000 1))

Let the length of the list here be N. (in the e.g. N = 4)
Let the maximum value in the domain of g where g is not zero be M.
(in the e.g. M = 1000)

In reality, N may be about 1000, and M may be about 100,000.

h is NOT sparse, but it is anti-symmetric.

So g*h is not sparse. However,
I only want to evaluate g*h at the N points where g is not 0.

Now, I could use the FFT to evaluate g*h at M points in time
MlogM, but I have a hunch there is a way to either tweak
the FFT (some kind of symbolic FFT maybe???) or some
way to tweak g (if g was uniformly distributed then the
problem goes away) either using a conformal mapping (???!)
or by using the fact that h is anti-symmetric so I can
rearrainge g by splitting selected data points and halving their
maginitudes.

  Thanks.

   Chris Kuszmaul
   MassPar Inc., Santa Clara, CA

------------------------------

From: Bill Baringer <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Jun 89 04:53:15 GMT
Subject: Dynamical Systems Simulation Package Available

I thought I'd pass this on, in hopes that it would be of general interest.
  -- Bill

INSITE is a collection of easy-to-use programs for the simulation and
characterization of dynamical systems, with an emphasis on chaotic systems.

INSITE runs on the X11 graphics package under UNIX and on the MetaGraphics 
graphics package under PC-DOS.  There is a short write-up on it in the 
August 1987 issue of the Proceedings of the IEEE.  It contains graphically 
based, interactive programs that:

    calculate and plot trajectories and orbits,

    calculate and plot bifurcation diagrams of continuous- or
	discrete-time systems,

    calculate Lyapunov exponents (via simulation),

    calculate correlation dimension of attractors (from a data file
	obtained via experiment or simulation),

    calculate and plot one-dimensional invariant manifolds of a
	(Poincare) map,
	
    calculate and plot periodic solution of continuous- or
	discrete-time systems, and

    calculate and plot phase portraits of two-dimensional
	continuous-time systems.

The software is now available for distribution.  The complete source code
is included.  Ordering information on the software can be obtained by writing

    INSITE
    P.O. Box 9662
    Berkeley, CA, 94709-9662

------------------------------

From: Peter Alfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue 6 Jun 89 07:48:10-MDT
Subject: Computer Operations Position at University of Utah

   The Center for Scientific Computing of the Department of
Mathematics, University of Utah, invites applications for the position
of Manager of Computer Operations.  The successful candidate will have
at least a Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or a
related field, and experience in the administration of complex
computer networks.  Knowledge of the Unix operating system and
networking hardware and software are essential. Knowledge of the VMS
and TOPS 20 operating systems are desirable.  Specific skills required
include: planning and organizing, keeping of accurate records, and
getting tasks completed in a timely and efficient manner.  Also
desired is experience in the keeping of financial accounts.

  The Systems Manager is responsible for the smooth administration of
the departmental computing resources (a network comprising one Vax
8600, one Dec-20, and numerous Sun workstations and Macintoshes) and
the rendering of computing services to the faculty and students of the
Department of Mathematics.  The incumbent reports to the Director of
Computing (a faculty member in the Mathematics Department) and
oversees a staff of one software specialist, one systems programmer,
one secretary, and several part time operators.  An immediate task
will be the detailed planning (in cooperation with the Director of
Computing and other Mathematics faculty) of the phaseout of the
DEC-20, and its replacement with suitable hardware and software.

   The position is available immediately.  Salary will be based on
qualifications and experience, and is negotiable.  Benefits are
competitive.

   Inquiries should be directed to Peter Alfeld, Department of
Mathematics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112,
801-581-6842 or 801-581-6851, [email-masked].

   The University of Utah and the Department of Mathematics are
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employers.

------------------------------

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue 6 Jun 89 09:47:27-MDT
Subject: Supercomputing Positions at University of Utah

	UNIVERSITY OF  UTAH  SUPERCOMPUTING  INSTITUTE

The University of Utah Supercomputing Institute invites applications for
three staff positions in  the areas of  (i) graphics, visualization  and
animation,  (ii)  scientific  computing,   and  (iii)  development   and
implementation of  parallel algorithms.   Preference  will be  given  to
applicants with a Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics or Computer Science,  but
applicants with a degree in other areas of science or engineering  will
be considered.

These positions are in a  newly-created supercomputing institute at  the
University of  Utah.  The objectives  of  the institute  are  to  pursue
research and development in the above  areas and to provide services  in
these areas to faculty  and students at  the University via  consulting,
seminars, workshops  and courses.   Staff members  will be  expected  to
pursue research in their area  of expertise and adjunct appointments  in
academic departments will be considered.

To apply send  a curriculum vita  and make arrangements  to have  three
letters of recommendation sent to Professor Hans G.  Othmer, Director of
Academic Supercomputing, Department of Mathematics, University of  Utah,
Salt   Lake    City,    UT   84112.     Tel:(801)    581-3901;    Email:
[email-masked].  The University of Utah is an equal opportunity
/affirmative action employer.

------------------------------

From: Brian Coomes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 89 18:06:57 cdt
To: Global Error Bound from ODE Solver

Does anyone know of an ODE solver that gives a bound on global error?
Here is what I would like to do: Given an initial value problem
   dy/dt = V(y),    y(a)=x
on an interval [a,b], I want to be able to specify a ball containing
y(b).  Please send replies (or reasons why I won't be able to do
this) to
   [email-masked]
Brian Coomes

------------------------------

From: Margareta Heilmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 89 10:07:59 ESZ
Subject: Multivariate Polynomial Interpolation

I would like to get some hints for literature about multivariate
interpolation by polynomials.
Especially I am interested in conditions for (unique) solutions of
interpolation problems.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Margareta Heilmann

------------------------------

From: Kamal Abdali <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 89 14:59:55 -0400
Subject: ISSAC 89 Program

                             ACM - SIGSAM
  1989 International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation
                               ISSAC-89

                  Portland, Oregon   July 17-19, 1989

                           Conference Chair
                          Kamal Abdali (NSF)
                             Program Chair
                   Gaston Gonnet (Univ of Waterloo)
                       Local Arrangements Chair
                  Bruce Jensen (Portland State Univ)
                           Exhibition Chair
                       Dennis Arnon (Xerox PARC)
                            Tutorials Chair
                    Keith Geddes (Univ of Waterloo)
                            Publicity Chair
                    Benton Leong (Univ of Waterloo)

                           Program Committee

                        Manuel Bronstein (IBM)
                 Bob Caviness (University of Delaware)
		             Patrizia Gianni (University of Pisa)
                Gaston Gonnet (University of Waterloo)
                      Anthony Hearn (RAND Corp.)
                  Tetsuo Ida (University of Tsukuba)
                   Daniel Lazard (Universite Paris)
                    Teo Mora (Universita di Genova)
             Franz Winkler (Johannes Kepler Universitaet)

The 1989 International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation
will  be  held in Portland, Oregon on July 17-19, 1989. The conference
will  feature  original  research contributions, tutorials, demonstra-
tions  of  hardware  and software and invited lectures. The conference
includes  six technical paper sessions, four tutorial sessions, and an
exhibition of hardware and software systems.

                                Program

                       Sunday  7:45 AM - 8:00 PM
                        Mt. St. Helens Bus Tour

                       Sunday  9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
                               Tutorials

Tutorial 1: 9:00 AM - 12:00
Handling Algebraic Numbers in Computer Algebra
 D. Duval (Universite de Limoges)

Tutorial 2: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Parallel Algebraic Algorithm Design
 E. Kaltofen (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)

Tutorial 3:  9:00 AM - 12:00
Systems Tutorial I
 Reduce, Macsyma, Mathematica, Macauley

Tutorial 4: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Systems Tutorial II
 DOE Macsyma, Maple, Scratchpad, Derive

                       Sunday  7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
                          Conference Reception

                        Monday  8:00 - 12:00
             Session Chair: B. Caviness (Univ of Delaware)

A Survey of Formal Solutions of Differential Equations
 Michael Singer (North Carolina State Univ)

On the Reduction of Linear Systems of Difference Equations
 M.A. Barkatou (INPG)

A Differential-Equations Approach to Functional Equivalence
 J. Shackell (Univ of Kent at Canterbury)

Series  Solutions  of  Algebraic  and  Differential Equations:  A Com-
parison of Linear and Quadratic Algebraic Convergence
 R.J. Fateman (Univ of California)

A Factorization Algorithm for Linear Ordinary Differential Equations
 F. Schwarz (GMD)

An Improved Las Vegas Primality Test
 E. Kaltofen (RPI), T. Valente (RPI) & N. Yui (Queen's Univ)

On Some Computations with Dense Structured Matrices
 V. Pan (City Univ of New York)

Inversibility  of  Rational Mappings and Structural Identifiability in
Automatics
 F. Ollivier (Ecole Polytechnique)

Knuth-Bendix Procedure and Buchberger Algorithm - A Synthesis
 F. Winkler (Johannes Kepler Universitaet)

                         Monday 1:00 - 5:40
              Session Chair: G. Gonnet (Univ of Waterloo)

Symbolic Algebra in Mathematics: Dreams and Reality
 Andrew M. Odlyzko (AT&T Bell Labs)

Lookup Tables, Recurrences and Complexity
 R.J. Fateman (Univ of California)

Labeled Trees and the Efficient Computations of Derivations
 R. Grossman & R.G. Larson (Univ of Illinois at Chicago)

Absolute Factorization of Bivariate Polynomials
 C.  Bajaj  (Purdue),  J.  Canny (UC Berkeley), T. Garrity (Rice) & J.
 Warren (Rice)

A New Modular Algorithm for Computation of Algebraic Number Polynomial
GCDs
 T.J. Smedley (Univ of Waterloo)

A Fast, Reliable Algorithm for Calculating Pade-Hermite Forms
 S. Cabay (Univ of Alberta) & G. Labahn (Univ of Waterloo)

Computing With Algebraic Series
 M.E. Alonso, Teo Mora & M. Raimondo (Universita di Genova)

Recovery of Algebraic Numbers from Their p-adic Approximations
 J. Abbott  (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)

Solving Systems of Non-Linear Equations Faster
 J. Canny (UC Berkeley), E. Kaltofen (RPI) & L. Yagati (RPI)

Some Results on the Defect
 R. Bradford (Univ of Bath)

Sturm-Habicht Sequence
 L.  Gonzalez, H. Lombardi, T. Recio & M-F. Roy (Universidad de Canta-
 bria)

                            Monday 8:00 PM
                        Sigsam Business Meeting
                        ISSAC Business Meeting

                        Tuesday 8:00 - 12:00
                Session Chair: A.C. Hearn (RAND Corp.)

Designing a Software Environment for Studying Algebraic
Structures
 John Cannon (Univ of Sydney)

MINION:  An Environment to Organize Mathematical Problem Solving
 J.M. Purtilo (Univ of Maryland)

How Can REDUCE be Run in Parallel?
 J. Fitch (Univ of Bath)

A Code Optimization Package for REDUCE
 J.A. van Hulzen (Twente), B.J.A. Hulshof (Philips), B.L. Gates (RAND)
 & M.C. van Heerwaarden (Twente)

IRENA - An Integrated Symbolic and Numerical Computation Environment
 M.C. Dewar (Univ of Bath)

A  MACSYMA  Package  for  the Generation and Manipulation of Chebyshev
Series
 T.H. Einwohner (Lawrence Livermore) & R.J. Fateman (UC Berkeley)

GENCRAY: A Portable Code Generator for Cray Fortran
 S. Weerawarana & P.S. Wang (Kent State Univ)

Experimenting the Groebner Basis Algorithm With the AlPI System
 C. Traverso (Universita di Pisa)

A Program Generator for Efficient Evaluation
 B.R. Miller (NIST)

                        Tuesday 1:00 - 4:20
              Session Chair: D. Lazard (Universite Paris)

Computing with Algebraic Numbers - An Example of Dynamic
Evaluation
 Dominique Duval (Universite de Limoges)

Simplification of Real Elementary Functions
 M. Bronstein (IBM)

On the Risch-Norman Algorithm and Its Implementation in MAPLE
 K.O. Geddes & L.Y. Stefanus (Univ of Waterloo)

Unleashing Computer Algebra on the Mathematics Curriculum
 J.S. Devitt (Univ of Saskatchewan)

Symbolic Summation with Generating Functions
 R.A. Ravenscroft (Brown) & E.A. Lamagna (Univ of Rhode Island)

Automatic Reasoning About Numerical Stability of Rational Expressions
 B.W. Char (Univ of Tennessee)

Computing the Normal Forms of Matrices Depending on Parameters
 G. Chen (INPG)

                         Tuesday 5:30 - 10:00
                          Conference Banquet

Scenic Bus Tour of Portland
Conference Banquet
Symbolic Computation: Directions for Future Research
 A.C. Hearn (RAND Corp.), Moderator

                       Wednesday  8:00 - 12:00
                   Session Chair: M. Bronstein (IBM)

Computer Algebra - the Method of Averaging and Elliptic
Functions
 Richard Rand (Cornell Univ)

On the Castelnuovo Regularity for Curves
 M. Giusti (Ecole Polytechnique)

Careful Algebraic Translations of Geometry Theorems
 B. Kutzler (Johannes Kepler Univ)

Quantifier  Elimination  and  the  Sign Variation Method for Real Root
Isolation
 G.E. Collins & J.R. Johnson (The Ohio State Univ)

On  the  Computer Solution of Symmetric Homogeneous Triangle Inequali-
ties
 S. Rabinowitz

Dense  Representation  of  Affine  Coordinate Rings of Curves with One
Point at Infinity
 S.C. Porter (Boise State Univ)

A  Parallel  Implementation of the Cylindrical Algebraic Decomposition
Algorithm
 B.D. Saunders (Delaware), H.R. Lee (Delaware) & S.K. Abdali (NSF)

Massively Parallel Symbolic Manipulations
 A. Deprit (NIST) & E. Deprit (US Naval Research Lab)

Parallel Algorithms for Hermite Normal Form of an Integer Matrix
 F. Siebert-Roch (INPG-CNRS)

                      Wednesday  1:00 -  5:00
             Session Chair: T. Mora (Universita di Genova)

Decomposition of Polynomial Equation Systems by Groebner
Type Methods
 Herbert Melenk (Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum fuer Informationstechnik)

Using  Rewriting  Techniques  to Solve the Generalized Word Problem in
Polycyclic Groups
 J. Avenhaus & D. Wissmann (Universitaet Kaiserslautern)

A  Method  for  Enumerating Cosets of a Group Presented by a Canonical
System
 N. Kuhn & K. Madlener (Universitaet Kaiserslautern)

Reduction of Group Constructions to Point Stabilizers
 G.  Cooperman (Northeastern), L. Finkelstein (Northeastern) & E. Luks
 (Oregon)

Strong  Normalizability  for  the  Combined  System  of the Pure Typed
Lambda Calculus and an Arbitrary Convergent Term Rewrite System
 M. Okada (Concordia Univ)

A  Note  on  Theorem Proving Strategies for Resolution Counterparts of
Non-Classical Logics
 P. O'Hearn (Queen's Univ) & Z. Stachniak (York Univ)

Employing Path Dissolution To Shorten Tableaux Proofs
 N.V. Murray (SUNY Albany) & E. Rosenthal (Univ of New Haven)

Constrained Equational Reasoning
 C. Kirchner & H. Kirchner (LORIA)

Resolvantes et Fonctions Symetriques
 A. Valibouze (Universite Paris)

                          General Information

 Location    All technical sessions, exhibits, and tutorials will held
 at the Portland Hilton in downtown Portland.

 Transportation   The Portland International Airport is served by most
 major  airlines.  The  Portland Hilton provides a limo service to and
 from  the  airport.  In addition, the RAZ bus provides transportation
 between the airport and major Portland hotels for $5 each way.

 Climate   Portland's  weather  is mild. Rain, if any, is likely to be
 light to intermittent. The average daytime high is 79 degrees and the
 average nighttime low is 56 degrees.

 Locale    The  Coastal Range to the west and the snow capped Cascades
 to  the  east,  the majestic Columbia River Gorge and the serene Wil-
 lamette  River,  recollections  of  a  pioneer  heritage,  fountains,
 forests,  sculpture,  carousels, galleries, and roses - every view of
 Portland  is  the  right  one. You'll find the ISSAC-89 conference is
 right  in  the  city  -  within walking distance of fine restaurants,
 shops, and theaters - but it is also on the riverbank as well as near
 parks, esplanades, and jogging paths.

 Conference  Events   In addition to the technical program, tutorials,
 and  exhibits,  there will be a reception on Sunday evening, business
 meetings  on  Monday  evening, a banquet at the World Forestry Center
 and  a post-prandial panel discussion on Tuesday evening. Also, there
 will  be  a  bus  excursion  to Mt. St. Helens Volcanic National Park
 (site  of  the  1980 volcanic eruption) and the Columbia Gorge scenic
 area  on Sunday. The all-day excursion includes a box lunch. The cost
 of  the  tour is $23.50 and is contingent upon receiving a sufficient
 number of pre-paid reservations.

 Registration  Fee    The regular registration fee includes the recep-
 tion  on  Sunday  evening, the banquet on Tuesday evening, all coffee
 breaks,  and a copy of the proceedings. Student registration includes
 everything except the banquet.

 Student  Accomodations   There  are  a limited number of rooms at the
 Portland State University available to accomodate students during the
 conference.  These  accomodations  are within 20 minutes walking dis-
 tance  to  the conference hotel and local buses run between the hotel
 and the university frequently. The charge for a room is $18 per night
 and includes breakfast.

                          Advance Registration

 Please use this form or a facsimile to preregister. Advance registra-
 tion  forms  must  be  received  by  June 28 to qualify for the early
 registration rates. Please mail registration forms with a check drawn
 on  a  U. S. bank or with an international money order in U.S.  funds
 payable to ACM ISSAC 89 to:

      ACM ISSAC 89 Conference
      c/o Dr. Bruce Jensen
      Department of Mathematics
      Portland State University
      P.O. Box 751
      Portland, Oregon  97201

                           Registration form

                              ACM ISSAC 89

 Name (last, first) _________________________________________
 Affiliation ________________________________________________
 Address ____________________________________________________
 City _______________ State _________________________________
 Zip/Postal Code _____ Country ______________________________
 Phone number _______________________________________________
 Electronic mail address ____________________________________

 Please circle appropriate fees.
                                             Pre-reg.         Late reg.

 ACM and Sigsam member                           $200              $250
 ACM or Sigsam member                            $210              $260
 Non-member                                      $220              $270
 Student                                          $80               $80

 Additional banquet tickets                     ___ x            @$40ea

 Mount St. Helens Excursion                     ___ x         @$23.50ea

 Student housing                        nights: ___          @$18/night

 Tutorial Sessions (member)                     ___ x           @$40ea

 Tutorial Sessions (non-member)                 ___ x            @$50ea

 Circle Tutorial Numbers:      1    2    3    4

 Total enclosed:                                               $ _____

                           Hotel Registration

 A  block  of rooms has been reserved for conference participants.  If
 you  wish  to  reserve  one  of  these rooms at the conference rates,
 please complete this form and return it by mail or fax (503-220-2565)
 by June 18:

     Portland Hilton
     921 SW Sixth Avenue
     Portland, Oregon   97204
     Attention: Reservations

If  you  call  the  hotel  (503-226-1611), please mention that you are
attending  the ACM Sigsam ISSAC 89 conference to qualify for the rates
below.

Accommodations  should  be confirmed for at least the first night with
either  a  check or a major credit card (see list of acceptable credit
cards below).

The conference rate at the Portland Hilton is $72 per night for a room
with  either  single  or double occupancy.  Triple and quadruple occu-
pancy  may  be  added   for $10 per extra person.  The conference rate
will  be  honored for up to three days before the start of the confer-
ence  and up to three days after the conference (subject to room avai-
lability).

                        Hotel Reservation Form

                    ACM Sigsam ISSAC 89 Conference
                           July 17-19, 1989

Name (last, first)
Affiliation
Address
City
Zip/Postal Code
Country
Phone number
Arrival Date
Departure Date
Number of persons
Deposit enclosed
Credit card number
Expiration date
Signature

Credit  cards  accepted  for  confirmation of accomodations include AC
Enroute,  Air Canada, Air Plus, American Express, BankAmericard, Carte
Blanc,  Choice, Diners Club, Discover, Eurocard, Hilton Charge, Inter-
Bank, JAL Credit, JCB International, MasterCard, Optima, Preferential,
Shell Signature and Visa.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------