Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 89 08:36:36 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, April 16, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 15

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Using NA-NET Without "SCORE"
     Eigenvales of Band Matrices
     Meeting in Hungary sponsored by Bolyai Mathematical Society 
     1989 Summer Institute at Cornell
     Conference Fee at London ODE Conference
     SIAM Journal on MATRIX ANALYSIS AND APPLICATIONS 

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Mark Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 89 20:14:23 PDT
Subject: Using NA-NET Without "SCORE"

Host score.stanford.edu, a DEC-20, is disappearing this summer.
The NA-NET started on score early in this decade while
score stopped supporting NA-NET functions in late 1988.

It may be the case that some people are still routing mail through
score.  This should not be necessary, but just in case your host
*still* cannot mail directly to na-net.stanford.edu the following
redirects should work:

Digest submissions:  [email-masked]
                 or  [email-masked]

Questions, comments, problems:
                     [email-masked]
                 or  [email-masked]

To get the list of people on the NA-NET (>1400 entries!) send mail to
      [email-masked]
or
      [email-masked]
or
      [email-masked]
with the message
      send nalist from misc

Note that mail addressed to nanet is read, and acted upon, as soon as
possible by the maintainer of NA-NET.  However, due to other time
constraints, there may be a substantial time lag before such mail is
read.  The time lag is more suitably measured with a calendar than a
watch.

 -Mark

------------------------------

From: George Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 89 10:14:50 EDT
Subject: Eigenvales of Band Matrices

     Is there good software around for computing the eigenvalues of
     a banded, symmetric matrix, whose bands are too big to fit in
     the fast memory of a 4 M-word machine (or any smaller sized machine)?
     I am particularly interested in a package that would do well on
     a vector machine.

     George D. Byrne
     [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Gene Golub 415/723-3124 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1989 17:30:00 PDT
Subject: Meeting in Hungary sponsored by Bolyai Mathematical Society 

JANOS BOLYAI MATHEMATICAL SOCIETY                   5th Conference
Budapest, Anker Koz 1-3 I.111                       on Numerical Methods
H-1061                                              August 20-25, 1990
Phone:427-741                                       Miskolc (Hungary)

               F I R S T   A N N O U N C E M E N T 

Following the Conferences in Tihany(1968), Keszthely(1973, 1977) and
Miskolc (1986), the Fifth Conference on Numerical Methods will be
organized by the Janos Bolyai Mathematical Society in Miskolc between
August 20 - 25, 1990. The conference will take place at the Technical
University for Heavy Industry. Miskolc is located 180 km distance from
Budapest to North-East.

SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM 

The aim of the meeting is to give a proper survey on the recent
results in Numerical Algebra and in Numerical Solution of Differential
Equations.

The work of the Confrence will rest on plenary lectures, but the
participants will be offered an opportunity to contribute short
communications and to take part at poster sessions as well.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE, ADDRESS, REGISTRATION

The Organizing Committee consists of Pal Rozsa (Chairman), Katalin
Balla (Secretary), Zoltan Szarka (Local Representative), Anna Lee,
Istvan Farago, Gisbert Stoyan.

Mailing address: Katalin Balla
                 Janos Bolyai Mathematical Society
                 H 1368 Budapest
                 Pf. 240

Second announcement with Registration Form will be sent at the end of
1989 for those who indicate interest by May 1, 1989.

We hope to meet you at the Conference and would appreciate very much
if you could inform your colleagues about our Conference as well. In
case of any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

                  Organizing Committee
Pal Rozsa                                            Katalin Balla
Chairman                                             Secretary.

------------------------------

From: Helen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 89 09:10:43 EDT
Subject: 1989 Summer Institute at Cornell

              Cornell National Supercomputer Facility

            Advanced Summer Institute in Supercomputing

The  Center  for  Theory  and Simulation in Science and Engineering at
Cornell University  (Cornell Theory Center) is pleased to announce the
1989 Advanced Summer Institute in Supercomputing, sponsored jointly by
the National Science Foundation and the Theory Center.  This Institute
will  provide  a  forum  for scientists to meet and learn from leading
researchers  about  the  latest  advances in computational methods and
algorithmic  developments  in  a  number  of  important disciplines in
engineering and science.   In addition, participants will benefit from
hands-on  sessions  using  the parallel supercomputer resources of the
Center's  Cornell  National  Supercomputer  Facility  (CNSF)  and from
opportunities  for informal interaction among themselves and with  the
invited speakers.

1989 Summer Institute

The  Summer  Institute  runs  for  two weeks and is held on the Cornell
University campus.   The program  consists of four distinct components:
lectures by leading experts in computational science;  training in use
of the CNSF facilities, hands-on lab  sessions  for  individual  appli-
cations;  and informal interaction among participants and speakers.

Lectures:   Lectures  will be  given  by  industrial  researchers  with
outstanding reputations and experience on the IBM 3090, Cornell faculty
who are experts in computational science, and current CNSF researchers.
To  date,   the  list  of  committed  speakers from IBM includes Enrico
Clementi,  Augustin  Dubrulle,  Jeno Gazdag,  Fred  Gustavson,  William
Henshaw, Steven Laux and Don Weingarten.  Additional speakers have been
invited, and  we  are  awaiting  final  commitments.
A partial list of topics includes:

Computational Physics:
   o Algorithms for Lattice Quantum Chromo Dynamics (QCD) Calculations
   o Implementation of QCD Algorithms on the GF11 Parallel Computer
   o Monte Carlo Methods for Sub-micron Device Simulation

Computational Fluid Dynamics:
   o On the Smallest Scale of Turbulence
   o Solution of Navier-Stokes Equations on Composite Overlapping Meshes

Computational Mathematics:
   o  Concurrent Computing by Sequential Staging of Tasks
   o  The Key Algorithms in the Parallel ESSL Library
   o  Future Directions in Sparse Matrix Computations
   o  Unite-and-Conquer Algorithms for the Solution of Systems
      of Equations

Computational Chemistry:
   o  Molecular Dynamics and Monte Carlo Programs for Proteins and
      Nucleic Acids in Solution
   o  Chemical Application in Fluid Dynamics
   o  Micro-dynamics

The  theme  of  computational  methods  will provide the common thread
running through all of these lectures.

Training:   Training  in  the  use  of  the CNSF will cover the VM/CMS
architecture  and  operating  system,  concepts  and  techniques  in
parallel  processing and vectorization, methods of  converting  serial
code to parallel, and tools for analyzing code performance.

Lab Sessions:   Lab  sessions  are  planned  to  allow participants  to
apply  the  concepts  discussed  in  lectures  to  their  own projects.
Participants  will  each  be  allocated 10 service units  (20 CPU hours
on the IBM 3090) to be used during the workshop and later in continuing
work  at  their  home  sites.   Lecture materials will be given to each
participant,  and  CNSF  staff  will  be  available  for  consultation
throughout the program.

Informal  Interaction:    Ample  time  is planned to allow for informal
interaction among the  participants  and  invited  speakers  throughout
the program.  Speakers will also be  invited  to  attend  lab  sessions
to learn about participant codes and to provide guidance.

Institute Facilities

The  CNSF configuration  consists  of two IBM 3090-600E supercomputers,
each with six  vector  facilities,  and  a  peak  performance  rate  of
696  megaflops.    (The IBM system has 256 MBytes of memory, 512 MBytes
of expanded storage, and 115 GBytes of disk storage.   Each application
may use up to 1 GByte of virtual memory.)  The current operating system
is VM/XA SP (CMS) and the primary language is FORTRAN.  The CNSF system
provides unique production parallel processing capabilities.  An appli-
cation  can  simultaneously  run on six processors using parallelism at
both the loop and task levels while taking full advantage of the  large
virtual memory and vector facilities of the 3090.

The Cornell Theory Center

The  Center  for  Theory and Simulation in Science and Engineering -the
Cornell Theory Center - was established in 1984.   One of five National
Science Foundation-sponsored National Advanced Scientific Centers,  the
Theory  Center  was created to advance science and technology by making
the most highly advanced computers more accessible to researchers.   As
part  of  this  effort, the Theory Center  is  committed  to  educating
students, scientists and engineers in the use of supercomputers.

The  facility supports about  1,800 users  working  on  more  than  460
research projects in the fields of  quantum chemistry,  theoretical and
applied physics, ecological studies, econometric modeling, biomedicine,
and the social sciences, as well as all areas of engineering.

Application Requirements

Enrollment is limited to 30 participants.   Selected applicants will be
graduate  students,  post-doctoral  researchers  or  university faculty
members who are actively engaged in projects which rely heavily on  the
efficiency  of  computational methods and algorithms as well as vector,
parallel, and memory capabilities.

Participants should bring working versions of their codes which include
only the most critical algorithms in their applications.  These working
codes should be written in ANSI FORTRAN 77, and contain minimal machine
dependencies.  CNSF staff will provide assistance in migrating code and
data to the IBM 3090 prior to the start of the Institute.

Provisions and Accommodations

Under  the  NSF grant for the Institute, participants will be reimbursed
for travel expenses;  housing  and meals will be provided.  Details will
be supplied upon acceptance.

Further Information

For further information on the Summer Institute, contact: Robert Feldman
Education and Training, Cornell National Supercomputer Facility,  Campus
Road and Central Avenue, Ithaca, NY 14853-8301 607/255-3985.

DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION MATERIALS IS JUNE 10, 1989.

=======================================================================

Supercomputer Summer Institute - July 24-August 4, 1989

                  APPLICATION FORM

Name:

Mailing Address:

Telephone:

Electronic Mailing Address:

Institute of Affiliation:

Field of Research:

Principal Investigator:

RETURN THIS FORM along with:

     o  A letter of interest explaining how the 1989 Institute would
        benefit the applicant's research, including a description of
        work to be accomplished during the Institute.
     o  Two letters of recommendation, including one from advisor or
        department chair.
     o  An abstract of current or planned research.
     o  A brief description of educational background, including
        FORTRAN experience.
     o  Statement of suitability of project for large memory, vector
        or parallel processing.

RETURN TO:      Donna Smith, Conference Coordinator
                Cornell National Supercomputer Facility
                Summer Institute
                Campus Road and Central Avenue
                Ithaca, NY  14853-8301

      DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION MATERIALS IS JUNE 10, 1989

------------------------------

From: Hans Stetter <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 APR 89 10:49:18
Subject: Conference Fee at London ODE Conference

Ref: Conference Fee at London ODE Meeting

     A week ago, I had voiced my anger about the exorbitant conference
fee of 185 British pounds = 320 US $ = 600 DM in the NA-Digest (issue 14).
This brought me a pile of responses: All (except one) were fully in agree-
ment with my position; many indicated that they may or will not attend
under these circumstances. There were some very well-known numerical
analysts amongst those responding.

     Also, two members of the Organisation Committee (= program committee)
told me that they have been fighting with IMA about these excessive fees
for some time but without success, and that they would appreciate support.

     May I therefore suggest the following: Everybody who has considered
or planned to go to London and who agrees that these fees are completely
out of proposition for a scientific conference held at a university,
should write a letter to the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications.
Just to stay away or to complain to colleagues will have no effect; IMA
must be made aware of the situation. You may also quote registration fees
of comparable conferences to point out the discrepancy. E.g., the last
Computational ODE Conference at Toronto (1988) which was fully comparable
in size and scope with the London Meeting, had a registration fee below
50 US $, viz. 50 CAN $.

     (Besides, the information received with the application form is
quite lacunary. E.g. what quality of accomodation the residential fee will
buy is not even indicated. Thus, the organisation of the conference is not
even done in a professional manner.)

     Your action should come very soon in order to be effective, it will
be a service to the whole Numerical Analysis community.

     Sincerely,
                                   Hans J. Stetter

------------------------------

From: Gene Golub <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1989 15:56:37 PDT
Subject: SIAM Journal on MATRIX ANALYSIS AND APPLICATIONS 

The SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications (SIMAX) is approaching
the middle of its second year.  I'd like to update you on our progress. 

SIMAX is still a very new journal and the style of the journal is still
developing. We continue to focus on the matrix research that has to do with
applications to areas such as signal processing, systems and control theory,
statistics, Markov chains, mathematical programming, economic and biological
modeling.  We encourage you to submit your articles to us, especially in those
areas of unusual application.  In general, our editorial board members have
been successful in receiving prompt reviews of journal submissions.  We are
taking steps to remedy the delicate problem of delayed reviews.  Our waiting
time from acceptance to publication is six to nine months and it is our
intention to maintain this processing time.

We want you to know that every issue will contain articles of interest to each
of our subscribers.  Thus, as a matter of policy, we do not plan to devote
more than a partial issue to any special topic.

You may now submit your accepted manuscripts in Tex, LATex, and AMS-Tex.  SIAM
journal macros are available through Net-lib and directly from SIAM via e-mail
and floppy disk.

Although authors may need to spend some time making editorial changes, there
are advantages in submitting your manuscripts to us in Tex. First, the author
retains greater control over the final appearance of his manuscript.  Second,
the introduction of errors from a second keyboarding is avoided.  Third, one
round of proofreading is eliminated.  Fourth, authors who typeset their own
articles receive 100 gratis reprints.

Circulation for SIMAX has increased nicely during the past year--we now have
over 1100 subscriptions and we expect that number to continue to increase at a
reasonable rate for the next several years.

SIMAX is an affordable journal.  The current subscription rate for SIAM
individual members is $36 ($39 for individual members outside the United
States, Canada, and Mexico).  The institutional rate is $95 ($118 for
institutions outside the United States, Canada, and Mexico).  You can have the
issues of your personal subscription to SIMAX delivered to your home or
office.  Institutions may order several subscriptions delivered to addresses
they designate.  Our academic members receive a subscription to SIMAX as a
part of their membership. Of course, we encourage you to request your local 
library to subscribe to SIMAX. 

Remember, for those of you who are SIAM members, SIMAX is your journal.  For
those of you who are not members, please consider joining SIAM and subscribe
to SIMAX at the member rate. 

We will always welcome your help, advice, and submissions. 
 
Sincerely, 
 
Gene Golub 
Managing Editor 
SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications     
 
Postscripts: 
 
Please submit your manuscripts to: SIAM Publications,  
P.O. Box 7541, Philadelphia, PA 19101. 
 
Requests for journal macros should be sent by e-mail to Corey Gray  
at [email-masked] or by mail to Corey Gray at SIAM, 117  
South 17th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103-5052.       
 
Requests for membership information should be sent to the  
e-mail or 17th St. address, attention: Customer Services. 

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------