Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 89 11:24:59 PST

NA Digest   Monday, March 27, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 12

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Change of Address for Arthur Wouk
     Bibliographies, Troff to Tek
     International Linear Algebra Society
     Argonne Wilkinson Fellow Named
     Program for SIAM Symposium on Sparse Matrices
     Argonne Parallel Programming Class
     Varga Conference, Final Announcement
     Fifth Parallel Circus
     Danish Summer School in Supercomputing
     Additions/Changes to NA-net 

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Arthur Wouk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 89 19:34:33 EST
Subject: Change of Address for Arthur Wouk

As some of you may know, I am retiring from the Army Research Office
this week. After that time I will be a purely private person reading
email at  [email-masked]' and US Mail at

	Arthur Wouk
	5 Glenmore Drive
	Durham NC 27707

	919-489-4998

I have enjoyed my many professional and personal contacts with  the
members of na-net. I shall be devoting the first few months of
retirement to getting my  ATT 3B1 (or UNIX-PC) up to functioning as a
node connecting to a mail and news feed and hope to be on the network
by this summer.

The final volume of ARO sponsored workshops which I ran, the one on
Medium Scale Multiprocessors should appear this spring.

------------------------------

From: Finbarr O'Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 89 08:18:33 PST
Subject: Bibliographies, Troff to Tek

Does anyone know of a program that will convert a troff bibliography into
a tex bibliography?

		Finbarr O'Sullivan [email-masked]}

------------------------------

From: Danny Hershkowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 89 09:22:50 IST
Subject: International Linear Algebra Society

      THE  INTERNATIONAL  LINEAR  ALGEBRA  SOCIETY  ( ILAS )      
           E-mail Address:  MAR23AA @ TECHNION  (bitnet)          

ILAS-NET Message No. 46

SUBJECT: Ilas Inaugural Conference

   On behalf of the International Linear Algebra Society (ILAS,
formerly IMG), we invite you to participate in the Society's
Inaugural Conference to be held August 12-15, 1989, at Brigham Young
University in Provo, Utah, USA. This will be a general international
meeting open to all with an interest in matrix theory. There will be
special concentration on nonnegative matrices and related topics.

   Accommodation is available for up to 5 nights (Aug. 11/12 through
15/16) in on-campus dormitories and a meal plan is available in an
on-campus cafeteria on Aug. 12,14,15 (the meal plan includes no meals
on Sunday). The joint cost of accommodation and meals is $74.90
double occupancy (you may wish to select your roommate).
Alternatively accommodation and meals may be purchased separately.
The cost of a dormitory room is $10 per night double occupancy. For
those wishing to stay off campus, the 3-day meal package is $31.20,
or for the same package excluding breakfast $23.25. Single meals may
also be purchased at the cafeteria.

   Dormitory space is limited and will be assigned in the order that
requests are received once invited speakers have been accomodated. If
you would prefer single occupancy, you may so indicate on the housing
form.  Requests for single occupancy will be granted later if space
is available.

   On-campus accomodation and meals are of high quality for an
academic institution.  Please note that some regulations of religious
origin govern residence in BYU dormitories, such as prohibition of
alcoholic beverages and smoking.  Coffee or tea are not served on
campus.

   Lodging and meals are availbale off-campus within walking
distance. Please indicate on the registration form if you would like
information on off-campus housing.

   There will be no registration fee. An optional luncheon buffet
(cost $15) and informal Sunday afternoon mountain outing are
scheduled for August 13 at a local resort.

   Provo is located about 50 miles south of Salt Lake City. Salt Lake
International Airport is well serviced by most major US airlines, and
reasonably priced limousine service is readily available to and from
Provo (information will be sent to those who register). Salt Lake
City is also serviced by Amtrak. Within easy driving distance from
Provo (less than one day) lie many of the spectacular attractions of
the Rocky Mountain West.

   We wish to encourage contributed 15-20 minute talks, subject to
the unavoidable limitations of space and time. Please let us know if
you wish to give such a talk. We shall also have some invited 30-40
minute talks. More details on the program will be available at a
later stage.

   A special issue of Linear Algebra and its Applications will be
devoted to the meeting. This issue will contain only papers that meet
the publication standards of the journal, and that will be approved
by normal refereeing procedure. Papers should be submitted in
triplicate by November 1989 to one of the special editors of this
issue, who are Wayne Barrett, Daniel Hershkowitz, and Donald
Robinson.

   We would appreciate it if you could let us know by April 30 if you
are planning to participate. Please return the enclosed registration
form to James R. Weaver (ILAS treasurer), and the enclosed
housing/mealplan form to the Office of General Services at Brigham
Young University. If you need further information, please contact
Wayne Barrett (mailing address on registration form, or email
address: [email-masked]).

   We very much hope that you can participate in this Inaugural
Conference, as you presence will help to make it a success.  We shall
try to make it worthwhile and enjoyable for you and look forward to
seeing you there.

   We also invite you to become a member of the International Linear
Algebra Society. The annual membership fee is $12. However, as we
recognize that some potential members may have difficulties in paying
the fee, we shall gladly waive it upon request. Dues paid in 1989
also cover 1990, though a voluntary contribution of $12 to cover the
second year will be greatly appreciated. Thereafter the fee will be
annual. Note that you may attend the meeting without joining ILAS,
and we hope you will join ILAS even if you cannot attend the meeting.
You can use the enclosed conference form to indicate your intentions.

Brigham Young University Standards:

   Brigham Young University was founded and still operates on
principles which are set forth by the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints.  From these principles, a set of standards has
been established which make this institution unique.  BYU guests are
asked to help maintain these standards which include abstinence from
alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs, coffee, and tea, and the observance
of high moral standards.  We reserve the right to request those not
honoring these standards to leave our facilities .

                              Sincerely,
                      The Organizing Committee

     Wayne Barrett        Daniel Hershkowitz        Charles Johnson
                Hans Schneider        Robert Thompson

             ==============================================

                       ILAS INAUGURAL MEETING
             Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, U.S.A.
                         August 12 -15, 1989

                        REGISTRATION FORM

Please return this form by April 30 to:

                  James R. Weaver
                  Department of Mathematics and Statistics
                  The University of West Florida
                  11000 University Parkway
                  Pensacola, Florida 32514-5751
                  U.S.A.

ALL CHECKS SHOULD BE MADE OUT TO:
                           THE INTERNATIONAL LINEAR ALGEBRA SOCIETY

You may write one check for the total amount.

NAME: 

ADDRESS:

PHONE:

E-MAIL:

1.  ATTENDANCE

      I plan to attend the ILAS Inaugural Conference.

      I don't plan to attend the ILAS Inaugural Conference.

2. ACCOMODATION and BOARD:

      I have returned the Housing form to BYU

      I have not returned the Housing form.

      Please send information on off-campus housing.

3. TALK:

      I wish to give a contributed talk.
      Title and abstract, typed on one page only, should be
      sent by July 1 to

                     Wayne Barrett
                     Department of Mathematics
                     Brigham Young University
                     Provo, Utah 84602
                     U.S.A.

4. LUCHEON BUFFET:

      I plan to attend the luncheon buffet on August 13.

5. MEMBERSHIP IN ILAS:

      I wish to become a member of ILAS.

      I wish to become a member of ILAS.
      Please waive my membership fee.

6. PAYMENT:

      Luncheon buffet($15) 
                    
      ILAS membership($12)

------------------------------

From: Jack Dongarra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 89 07:31:57 CST
Subject: Argonne Wilkinson Fellow Named

   EWERBRING NAMED AS WILKINSON FELLOW IN COMPUTATIONAL MATHEMATICS

L. Magnus Ewerbring of Cornell University has been named the 1989-90 
Wilkinson Fellow in Computational Mathematics.  The fellowship is awarded 
by the Mathematics and Computer Science Division at Argonne National Laboratory
to a young scientist actively engaged in computational mathematics and parallel 
computing research.  Ewerbring will join the Mathematics and Computer Science
Division for a one-year term beginning in September 1989.

Ewerbring will receive a Ph.D. degree from Cornell University in August 1989.  
For his thesis, he has derived generalizations of the singular value 
decomposition that have important applications in canonical correlations and 
are well suited for parallel machines.  In addition to conducting his doctoral 
research, he has worked at Thinking Machines Corp.  developing code for linear 
algebra routines on the massively parallel Connection Machine.  As part of his 
research there, Ewerbring devised techniques for ensuring that data are 
efficiently mapped onto processors, realizing a savings in computation time of 
up to 33 percent.

Currently, Ewerbring is a Graduate Fellow of the Mathematical Sciences 
Institute at Cornell University.

The Wilkinson Fellowship was created by Argonne's Mathematics and Computer 
Science Division in memory of Dr. James Hardy Wilkinson, F.R.S., who for
many years acted as a consultant and guiding spirit for such efforts as the 
EISPACK and LINPACK projects.  The fellowship is intended to assist a young 
scientist who is actively engaged in state-of-the-art research in computational
mathematics, numerical linear algebra, and parallel computing.

Further information about the fellowship can be obtained from Jack Dongarra;
Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, Illinois 60439; [email-masked].

------------------------------

From: John Lewis <@atc.boeing.com:jglewis@priapus>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 89 07:55:58 PST
Subject: Program for SIAM Symposium on Sparse Matrices

				PROGRAM
		   SIAM SYMPOSIUM ON SPARSE MATRICES
			 SALISHAN LODGE, OREGON
                             MAY 22-24, 1989

The program for the SIAM Symposium on Sparse Matrices is attached.
Further information on the meeting can be obtained from SIAM
at [email-masked]' or from John Lewis at `na.lewis...'.

==================================================================

Overview:

Talks selected for extended presentations are given in pairs, each
talk consisting of a 40 minute presentation and a five minute
question period.  Extended presentations will be given in the
Longhouse Ballroom.

Formal workshop sessions comprise five or six standard presentations,
each 15 minutes followed by a five minute question period.
Prescheduled workshop sessions will be given in the forward part of
the Ballroom (rooms B and C) and in the Cedar Tree Room.

Facilities will be provided for participants to organize their own
informal workshops to extend the discussions of the formal workshops
or to address topics not otherwise addressed in the formal
presentations.  The Sunset Suite will be available at all times for
scheduling small impromptu workshops.  The Cedar Tree Room will be
available during the extended presentations, and the rear part of the
Ballroom (room A) can be used for additional parallel workshops
during formal workshop sessions. These rooms will be reserved on a
first-come first-serve sign-up basis.

======================================================================

                                  Sunday, May 21

 8:00 - 10:00  Reception and Beer Party (Sunset Suite)   

     -----------------------------------------------------------------

                                  Monday, May 22

 8:30 - 10:00  J. Grcar, Operator Coefficient Iterations
               C.-C. Kuo, C. Tong and T. Chan, Multilevel Filtering (MF)
                    Preconditioners for Elliptic Problems
10:00 - 10:30  coffee
10:30 - 12:00  C. Ashcraft, Exploiting Structure in Sparse Matrix
                    Computations:  The Domain/Segment/Separator Model
               P. Amestoy and I. Duff, Efficient and Portable
                    Implementation of a Multifrontal Method on a range of
                    MIMD Computers
12:00 -  2:00  lunch
 2:00 -  4:00  workshops: Iterative Methods for General Systems
                          Least Squares Problems
 4:00 -  4:30  coffee
 4:30 -  6:00  B. Parlett and H. Chen, Damped Oscillations and Hermitian
                    Pencils
               A. Ruhe, How to use Spectral Transformation on Sparse
                    Nonlinear and Nonsymmetric Eigenvalue Problems
 6:00 -  8:00  dinner
 8:00 - 10:00  workshops: Sparse Matrix Standards:  Sparse BLAS2 and Beyond
                          Engineering Applications

     -----------------------------------------------------------------
                                     
                                  Tuesday, May 23

 8:30 - 10:00  E. Ng, A Comparison of Some Methods for Solving Sparse
                    Nonsymmetric Linear Systems
               T. Davis and P-C Yew, A Stable Parallel Algorithm for
                    General Unsymmetric Sparse LU Factorization
10:00 - 10:30  coffee
10:30 - 12:00  M. Arioli, J. Demmel and I. Duff, Condition Numbers and
                    Backward Error Analysis in Solving Sparse Systems
               D. Gay and M. Wright, Remedying Normal-Equations Failures in
                    Interior-Point Algorithms for LP
12:00  - 2:00  lunch
 2:00 -  4:00  workshops: Implementation of General Direct Solvers
                          Eigenvalue Problems
 4:00 -  4:30  coffee
 4:30 -  6:00  J. Lewis, B. Peyton and A. Pothen, A Fast Algorithm for
                    Reordering Sparse Matrices for Parallel Factorization
               A. Pothen and H. Simon, Partitioning Sparse Matrices with
                    Eigenvectors of Graphs
 6:00 -  8:00  clambake
 8:00 - 10:00  workshops: Reordering for Sparse Cholesky Factorization
                          Iterative Algorithms for Symmetric Systems

     -----------------------------------------------------------------
                                     
                                 Wednesday, May 24

 8:30 - 10:00  C. Ashcraft, S. Eisenstat, J. Liu and A. Sherman, Three
                    Distributed Sparse Factorization Algorithms
               J. Gilbert and R. Schreiber, Highly Parallel Sparse Cholesky
                    Factorization
10:00 - 10:30  coffee
10:30 - 11:30  workshops: Tools for Sparse Matrix Computations
                          Parallel Solution of Triangular Systems
11:30 -  1:15  lunch
 1:15 -  3:15  workshops: Implementation of Sparse Cholesky Factorization
                          Reordering for Sparse LU Factorization
 3:15 -  3:30  coffee
 3:30 -  5:00  R. Freund, Conjugate Gradient Type Methods for Linear
                    Systems with Complex Coefficient Matrices
               S. Ashby, Adaptive Polynomial Preconditioning for Hermitian
                    Linear Systems
 5:00 -  7:00  impromptu workshops / nature walk
 7:00 -  8:00  Stragglers Buffet
 8:00 - 10:00  Informal Oregon Wine Tasting (Sunset Suite)

     -----------------------------------------------------------------
     -----------------------------------------------------------------
                                     
                                 WORKSHOPS
                                     
                             Monday Afternoon

Iterative Methods for General Systems:
     T. Chan, Fourier Analysis of Blended Incomplete Factorization
          Preconditioners
     R. Freund and Y. Saad, A Comparison of Polynomial Based Iterative
          Methods for Large Nonsymmetric Linear Systems
     A. Sameh and Z. Zlatev, A Robust Parallel Linear System Solver
     H. Elman, Block Iterative Methods for Cyclically Reduced Elliptic
          Problems
     A. Baker, W. Noronha and E. Wachspress, Consistent Sparse
          Factorization of Elliptic Difference Equations
     W. Tang, Relief from the Pain of Overlap --- Generalized Schwarz
          Splittings

Least Squares Problems:
     D. O'Leary, On Iteratively Reweighted Linear Least Squares Problems
     P. Raghavan and A. Pothen, Parallel Orthogonal Factorization
     E. Chu and A. George, Parallel Orthogonal Decomposition of Large
          Sparse Matrices
     C. Johnson, D. Olesky and P. vandenDriessche, Sparsity Analysis for
          the QR Factorization
     J. Barlow, The Accurate Solution of Sparse Weighted and Equality
          Constrained Least Squares Problems Using a Static Data Structure

                              Monday Evening
                                     
Engineering Applications:
     A. Coon and M.Stadtherr, Sparse Matrix Methods for the Parallel
          Solution of Equation-Based Chemical Process Flowsheeting Matrices
     R. Tewarson and J. Stephenson, Use of Sparse Matrix Techniques in
          Fluid Flow Networks
     B. Nour-Omid, M. Wright and R. Calalo, Partitioning Finite Element
          Mesh for Concurrent Computing
     P. Bjorstad, Iterative Substructure Algorithms in a Large Scale
          Structural Analysis Code - Will it ever be Practical?
     J. Braekhus, Design and Experience with an Algorithm for Parallel
          Block Linear Algebra on Shared Memory Architecture
     A. Hvidsten, On Parallelizing a very large Finite Element Structural
          Analysis Program

Sparse Matrix Standards:  Sparse BLAS2 and Beyond:
     S. Ashby and M. Seager, A Proposed Standard for Iterative Linear
          Solvers
     T. Oppe and D. Kincaid, Sparse Iterative BLAS
     G. Radicatti, Vectorization and Storage Schemes for Irregular Sparse
          Matrices
     I. Duff, Sparse BLAS2: the way forward or the way back
     R. Grimes, BLAS for the Supernodal General Sparse and Multifrontal
          Methods
     R. Grimes, Sparse Matrix Vector Multiplication for the Lanczos
          Algorithm
     I. Duff, R. Grimes and J. Lewis, The Boeing-Harwell Sparse Matrix Test
          Collection -- an update

                             Tuesday Afternoon
                                     
Implementation of General Direct Linear Equation Solvers:
     S. Wright, Parallel Solvers for General Banded Systems
     G.-C. Yang, DSpack:  A Direct Sparse Matrix Software Package for
          Shared-Memory Parallel Machines
     I. Duff and J. Reid, MA48 - A New Package for Solving Sparse
          Unsymmetric Sets of Linear Equations
     Y-A Fan, A. Horvath, J. Li, D. Neaderhouser and P. Smith, A General
          Sparse Matrix Solver
     U. Suhl, L. Aittoniemi and J. Su, Computing LU-Factorizations for
          Large Sparse General Matrices
     F. Gustavson, Aspects of Dense Sparse LU Factorizations for Vector
          Processing

Eigenvalue Problems:
     J. Barlow and J. Demmel, Computing Accurate Eigensystems of Scaled
          Diagonally Dominant Matrices
     R. Morgan, Computing Interior Eigenvalues of Large Matrices
     J. Cullum and R. Willoughby, A Shift and Invert Strategy for Lanczos
          Procedures
     R. Pantazis and D. Szyld, Parallel Algorithms for the Banded Symmetric
          Eigenvalue Problem Ax = lambda Bx
     K. Gates, Efficient Eigenvalue Solvers for a Hypercube Multiprocessor

                              Tuesday Evening

Reordering for Sparse Cholesky Factorization:
     J. Grcar, Matrix Stretching
     H. Simon, A Parallel Iterative Algorithm for Envelope Reduction
     A. Yeremin, Multilevel Cross Merging Algorithms for High Order Finite
          Element Problems
     B. Peyton, A Tie-Breaking Scheme for the Minimum Degree Algorithm
     E. Zmijewski, Communication-Reducing Nested Dissection Orderings for
          Parallel Sparse Cholesky Factorization
     F.Alvarado, D. Yu  and R. Betancourt, Ordering Schemes for Partitioned
          Sparse Inverses

Iterative Algorithms for Symmetric Systems:
     A. Greenbaum and G. Rodrigue, Optimal Preconditioners of a Given
          Sparsity Pattern
     J. Cosgrove, J. Diaz and A. Griewank, Approximate Inverse
          Preconditionings for Sparse Linear Systems
     A. Ramage and A. Wathen, On Element Preconditioning for Galerkin
          Finite Element Equations
     P. Frederickson and H. Simon, Totally Parallel Multilevel Algorithms
     E. Kaasschieter, A General Finite Element Preconditioning for The
          Conjugate Gradient Method
     G.-Y.  Lei, Preconditioned CG Methods Based on Ordering and Gaussian
          Elimination

                             Wednesday Morning

Tools for Sparse Matrix Computations:
     Y. Saad, SparsKit: a basic tool kit for sparse matrix computations
     Y. Saad and H. Wijshoff, A Comparative Study of the CRAY Family of
          Supercomputers using a Sparse Benchmark Package
     F. Alvarado, The Sparse Matrix Manipulation System

Parallel Solution of Triangular Systems:
     S. Hammond and R. Schreiber, Efficient ICCG on a Shared Memory
          Parallel Processor
     J. Saltz, Solution of Sparse Triangular Systems on a Range of Parallel
          Architectures
     R. Bisseling, Parallel Solution of Sparse Triangular Systems on a Mesh
          of Transputers

                            Wednesday Afternoon
                                     
Implementation of Sparse Cholesky Factorization:
     J. Liu, Sparse Matrix Factorization by Rows
     C. Bischof, J. Lewis and D. Pierce, An Incremental Condition Estimator
          for Sparse Triangular Matrices and Applications
     G. Geist and E. Ng, A Partitioning Strategy for Sparse Matrix
          Factorization on Multiprocessors
     H. Simon, P. Vu and C. Yang, Sparse Matrix Factorization at 1.68
          GFLOPS
     D. Warner, The Clique-Tree Algorithm and Its Implications for
          Parallel-Vector Architectures
     P. Sadayappan, Distributed Sparse Factorization of Circuit Matrices
          via Recursive E-tree Partitioning

Reordering for Sparse LU Factorization:
     P. Aitchison, Tearing and Sparse Matrix Computations
     M. Bravo, C. Maulino and O. Ordaz, Quotient Bipartite Graph Model in
          the Solution of AX = B
     S. Buitrago, O. Jimenez and C. Maulino, Ordering Techniques for Sparse
          Linear Systems arising in Reservoir Simulation
     C. Johnson, Principal Submatrices and Structure of Sparse Matrices
     D. Wise and P. Beckman, Selecting Pivots under Quadtree Matrix
          Representation
     E. Ganuza, An Implementation in Microcomputers of the Lexicografic
          Algorithm

------------------------------

From: David Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 11:25:43 CST
Subject: Argonne Parallel Programming Class

Argonne National Laboratory has set up the Advanced Computing Research
Facility (ACRF) for the study of parallel computing.  To encourage the
use of the ACRF,  Argonne offers classes on parallel computing to
familiarize potential users with the ACRF multiprocessors and parallel
programming in general.  The next class will be held May 3-5, 1989.
Topics to be covered include:

1) Parallelizing compilers.
2) The Monitor and Schedule packages for portable parallel programming.
3) Hypercube programming.
4) DAP Programming.
5) Connection Machine Programming.

A portion of the third day will be devoted to each attendee's particular
project.  The format of the course is alternating lectures and hands-on
work with the parallel computers in the ACRF.  At its completion participants
will have written and run programs on each machine, and should be familiar
with the ACRF environment.  Fortran will be emphasized as the primary
programming language.  Knowledge of Fortran and Unix will be assumed.

Parallel computers currently in the ACRF are:

    4-processor Ardent Titan
    8-processor Alliant FX/8
   16-processor Intel iPSC-VX hypercube
   20-processor Encore Multimax
   24-processor Sequent Balance 21000
   32-processor Intel iPSC hypercube
 1024-processor Active Memory Technology DAP
16384-processor Thinking Machines CM-2

Those interested in the classes should contact

Teri Huml
Mathematics and Computer Science Division
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL  60439-4844
(312) 972-7163
[email-masked]

There will be a $25.00 registration fee per person for universities,
federal laboratories and government organizations and $100.00 for
industrial corporations.

------------------------------

From: E. C. Gartland <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 18:40:34 EST
Subject: Varga Conference, Final Announcement

			       A Conference On

              APPROXIMATION THEORY AND NUMERICAL LINEAR ALGEBRA
	      
	                 in honor of Richard S. Varga
                     on the occasion of his 60th birthday
		    
                       March 30, 31, and April 1, 1989
		       
                            Kent State University
                               Kent, Ohio  USA

PROGRAM:
  Thursday AM:
    G. Birkhoff,     "Some Current Questions on Solving Elliptic Problems."
    L.A. Hageman,    "An Eigenvalue Bound for Doubly Cyclic Matrices."
    P.G. Ciarlet,    "A New Class of Variational Problems Arising in the
                      Modeling of Elastic Multi-Structures."
    L.N. Trefethen,  "Non-Normal Matrices and Approximate Eigenvalues."
  Thursday PM:
    J.W. Jerome,     "Hierarchical Semiconductor Modeling: Analytical Results
                      for Discretization and Approximation."
    G.G. Lorentz,    "Bivariate Interpolation."
    L.L. Schumaker,  "On Multivariate Splines."
  Friday AM:
    R.J. Plemmons,   "Substructuring and Nullspace Methods for Equilibrium
                      Equations."
    W.C. Rheinboldt, "On a Computational Method for the Second Fundamental
                      Tensor and its Application to Bifurcation Problems."
    T.J. Rivlin,     "Some Algebraic Aspects of the Chebyshev Polynomials."
    A. Sharma,       "Equiconvergence of Some Complex Interpolatory
                      Polynomials."
    J. Szabados,     "Fine and Rough Theory for the Derivatives of Lagrange
                      Interpolation."
  Friday PM:
    M.H. Gutknecht,  "Modified Moments for Nonpositive Weight Functions."
    H. Berens,       "A Globally Lipschitz-Continuous Selection of the Metric
                      Projection in Matrix Approximation."
    Y.A. Kuznetsov,  "Matrix Iterative Analysis in Subspaces."
  Saturday AM:
    G.L. Csordas,    "Convexity and the Riemann Hypothesis."
    D. Gaier,        "The Bieberbach Polynomials in Conformal Mapping."
    W. Gautschi,     "Vandermonde Matrices on the Circle."
    Cai D.-Y.,       "Structural Singular Values of Matrices."
  Saturday PM:
    W. Niethammer,   "Results from Approximation Theory Applied to Problems
                      in Numerical Linear Algebra."
    E.B. Saff,       "Weighted Analogues of Capacity, Transfinite Diameter,
                      and Chebyshev Constants."

  In addition, there will be 30 contributed papers presented in parallel
sessions.  All talks will be in Henderson Hall on the Kent State University
Campus.

SOCIAL FUNCTIONS:
  Thursday, 5:00--7:00 p.m., Reception (KSU Student Center).
  Friday, 7:00 p.m., Conference Banquet (KSU Student Center).
  Saturday, 6:30--7:30 p.m., Recital (Per Enflo, Ludwig Recital Hall).
            8:00 p.m., Reception hosted by Prof. and Mrs. Varga (Twin Lakes
                       Country Club).

  The conference is being sponsored by Kent State University, the Department
of Mathematical Sciences and the Institute for Computational Mathematics.
It is being co-sponsored by the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics,
and it has the endorsement of the International Mathematical Union.  External
support is being provided by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research,
The U.S. Department of Energy, and the National Science Foundation, with
additional funding by the Central States Universities, Inc., and the Kent State
Research Council and Office for Institutional Advancement.

INFORMATION: E.C. Gartland, Jr. (Varga Conference)
             Department of Mathematical Sciences
	     Kent State University
	     Kent, OH 44242  USA

E-mail: [email-masked]
        [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Boleslaw Szymanski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 89 07:21:12 EST
Subject: Fifth Parallel Circus

			FIFTH PARALLEL CIRCUS
     Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, April 28-29, 1989

THEME: Parallel Numerical Algorithms, Programming Tools and Applications.

OBJECTIVE: The meeting is an informal gathering of researchers interested 
in parallel processing.  The intention is to discuss recent results in the
area and exchange ideas for future work.  The atmosphere is casual. The
speakers are chosen at the beginning of the circus.  To encourage discussion,
there are no formal proceedings. We expect that about 60 people will be
in attendance and therefore no parallel sessions are planned.

HISTORY: The circus has been held twice a year for two days duration, on 
Fridays and Saturdays. The first Parallel Circus was held in May 1987 at 
Yale University (chaired by Prof. M. Shultz), the second at Cornell University 
in November 1987, (chaired by Prof. Van Loan), the third was organized
by V. Sonnad at IBM Kingston (chaired by Prof. G. Golub and M. Schultz), 
and the fourth was held at Rutgers University in December 1988 (chaired by 
Prof. G. Golub and Prof. A. Gerasoulis).

PLACE: The Fifth Parallel Circus is being organized by Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute and will be held on the Rensselaer campus, Troy, New York 
(chaired by G. Golub and M.Schulz and organized by Joseph Flaherty and Bolek
Szymanski).  Troy is part of tri-city area of Albany-Schenectady-Troy located
at the center of New York State.  It is easily accessible via plane (Albany
airport), train and automobile.

CONTACTS: If you wish to attend, please contact Joseph E. Flaherty or Bolek 
Szymanski as soon as possible. 
PHONES: 518-276-2714, or 518-276-8291, 
E-MAIL: [email-masked], or [email-masked],
ADDRESS: Department of Computer Science
         Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
         Troy, NY 12180-3590

If you wish to present your work at the meeting, please include the 
title of your talk in your message.

We have reserved a block of rooms for attendees at the Super 8 Motel 
for $36.88 a night (telephone: 518-274-8800). The Motel is located in 
Troy within walking distance of the campus.

We hope that you will be able to attend and we look forward to seeing you at
the meeting.

Joesph Flaherty and Bolek Szymanski

------------------------------

From: Per Christian Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 89 08:58:37 PST
Subject: Danish Summer School in Supercomputing

    The Danish Computing Centre for Research and Education (UNI-C),
             The Technical University of Denmark (DTH) and
                      The Danish Research Academy

                              invites to

              T H E   1 9 8 9   S U M M E R   S C H O O L
                                  in
                            Supercomputing

       Numerical methods. Applications in chemistry and seismic.

              Monday 14th - Wednesday 23rd of August 1989

                          UNI-C
                          DTH, Building 305
                          DK-2800 LYNGBY
                          DENMARK

UNI-C, DTH and The Danish Research Academy  are pleased to announce the
1989 Summer School in applied numerical methods  on parallel and vector
type computers.   The summer school  is financially  supported  by  The
Danish Research Academy  and the  DP Capacity Board of  The Danish Min-
istry for Education.

The school comprises six series of classes  within chemical simulation,
quantum  chemical calculations of electron orbits,  seismic methods and
general numerical algorithms  for vector and  parallel computers.   The
lectures  will be given  by international  recognized researchers,  and
provide an inspiring insight  into the prospects and challenges of com-
puter applications of modern numerical methods.

Application workshops on  afternoons and evenings  include tutorials in
using  UNI-C's computers, an Amdahl VP1100 vectorprocessor w/ 128 Mbyte
central  memory  and an Alliant FX/8.   In addition  there is an  Intel
Hypercube,  kindly lent  by the Department of  Computer Science  at The
University of  Copenhagen,  and  an  Ardent Titan  graphical supermini,
which is placed at our disposal from High Tech Systems, Ballerup.

Participants  are requested to bring their own FORTRAN programs for the
exercises,  and use this opportunity  to install and optimize their ap-
plication program  on one or  more parallel type computers,  guided and
instructed by the guest lecturers and UNI-C staff.

UNI-C  is situated  on the  Technical University  of Denmark campus  in
Lyngby, a northern suburb of Copenhagen, 12 km from Central Copenhagen.
UNI-C was established  by a merger of three major  University Computing
Centres, Copenhagen, Aarhus and Lyngby to form one supercomputer centre
for Denmark.  Besides the Amdahl VP1100 with 30 Gbytes of disk storage,
UNI-C has an IBM 3081,  a UNISYS 1100/92, a CDC Cyber,  an Alliant FX/8
and several VAX'es.

Guest professors:

  Dr. Jeremy du Croz (JC)
  N.A.G. Ltd.
  Dr. du Croz will talk on how to  provide efficient portable numerical
  software for supercomputers.  Particular topics include level 2 and 3
  BLAS,  applications in  linear algebra  and nonlinear  problems,  the
  LAPACK project, FFT's, quadrature and random number generators.

  Dr. Iain Duff (ID)
  AERE, Harwell and CERFACS, France.
  Dr. Duff will talk on the solution of  large sparse systems of linear
  equations, structure and factorisation.

  Dr. David Fincham (DF)
  University of Keele.
  Dr. Fincham  will talk on numerical methods in  chemical modeling and
  simulation.

  Dr. Bengt Fornberg (BF)
  Exxon Research and Engineering Company.
  Dr. Fornberg will talk on  seismic modeling with  special emphasis on
  pseudospectral methods.

  Dr. Michael T. Heath (MTH)
  Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tennessee, USA
  Dr. Heath will talk on algorithms for (massively) parallel computers.

  Dr. V.R. Saunders (VS)
  SERC, Daresbury, England.
  Dr. Saunders will give lectures on numerical methods in quantum chem-
  ical calculations.

Workshops  and tutorials  in using the various  summer-school computers
will be headed by UNI-C staff.

Enrollment:

The  summer school is  open to Danish,  Nordic  and  International post
graduate  students.  Applications  from other students,  post  doctoral
students and researchers  are welcome, and  applicants will be selected
from those who  are actively working  on projects that  are appropriate
for parallel  and vector type  computing.  Enrollment is  limited to 40
participants.  We expect 20 Danish, 10 Nordic and 10 delegates from the
international research community.

The registration fee is DKR 3000, and covers lunch and lodging at near-
by  student recidence.  Participants wishing to  stay at more luxury or
tourist hotels must pay  their own accomodation expenses.  The partici-
pants may apply for funding of traveling and lodging expenses. The sum-
mer school is free of charge for Danish and Nordic participants.

Persons attending the summer school will be expected to have some expe-
rience  in scientific and numerical modeling on computers.  Preferably,
they should bring  FORTRAN code which represents work in progress.  The
UNI-C staff will provide assistance  in migrating code and data  to the
summer school computers.  The participants are expected to improve this
code during  the workshop sessions assisted by guest  professors, UNI-C
staff and co-participants.

For further information on the 1989 Summer School please contact:

                        Mrs. Mette Soeborg
                        Manager, Education and Training
                        UNI-C, Vermundsgade 5
                        DK-2100 Copenhagen O
                        Telephone:   +45  1 82 83 55
                        Telefax:     +45  2 93 02 20

                  or    Jorgen Moth
                        E-mail: NEUJM @ VM.UNI-C.DK
                        or    : NEUJM @ NEUVM1.BITNET

------------------------------

From: Gene H. Golub 415/723-3124 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1989 15:07:46 PST
Subject: Additions/Changes to NA-net 

Here is a list of the changes and additions in NA-net since late November.
 == Gene Golub

new(abdali,k,nsf,[email-masked]').
new(anderssen,bob,australia,[email-masked]').
new(auchmuty,giles,texas,[email-masked]').
new(axelsson,owe,nogroup,[email-masked]').
new(bard,jonathan,texas,[email-masked]').
new(barrett,wayne,usabitnet,[email-masked]').
new(bellovin,mark,stanford,[email-masked]').
new(berman,avi,israel,[email-masked]').
new(bruchhaus,jorgen,germany,[email-masked]').
new(byrne,george,nogroup,[email-masked]').
new(carey,dr,texas,[email-masked]').
new(carletta,joan,cornell,[email-masked]').
new(caussignac,ph,switzerland,[email-masked]').
new(chandler,graeme,australia,[email-masked]').
new(coxson,pam,lbl,[email-masked]').
new(dean,ed,texas,[email-masked]').
new(descloux,j,switzerland,[email-masked]').
new(dickinson,bradley,princeton,[email-masked]').
new(du,qiang,illinois,[email-masked]').
new(edwards,bruce,nogroup,[email-masked]').
new(elise,kapenga,nogroup,[email-masked]').
new(erim,na,nogroup,[email-masked]').
new(eyssallenne,rafael,nyu,[email-masked]').
new(forney,glenn,nist,[email-masked]').
new(frommer,andreas,germany,[email-masked]').
new(gao,feng,canada,[email-masked]').
new(garbarino,joe,nogroup,[email-masked]').
new(gilchrist,martin,uk,[email-masked]').
new(griffel,xx,uk,[email-masked]').
new(grossman,robert,illinois,[email-masked]').
new(gyer,maurice,arizona,[email-masked]').
new(hadjidimos,apostolos,purdue,[email-masked]').
new(heilmann,m,germany,[email-masked]').
new(herbin,raphaele,switzerland,[email-masked]').
new(heroux,michael,cray,[email-masked]').
new(higdon,robert,nogroup,[email-masked]').
new(hill,richard,usabitnet,[email-masked]').
new(hirsh,richard,nsf,[email-masked]').
new(hu,weiping,uk,[email-masked]').
new(huckle,thomas,germany,[email-masked]').
new(hutin,remi,france,'hutin%eps.sdr.slb.com').
new(jiang,hong,usabitnet,[email-masked]').
new(kaps,peter,austria,[email-masked]').
new(keller,herb,caltech,[email-masked]').
new(koen,bryan,usabitnet,[email-masked]').
new(krishna,amala,stanford,[email-masked]').
new(kumar,swarn,boeing,[email-masked]').
new(kus,fred,canada,[email-masked]').
new(lausanne,na,switzerland,[email-masked]').
new(lee,daeshik,illinois,[email-masked]').
new(lee,greg,weitek,[email-masked]').
new(leon,steve,usabitnet,[email-masked]').
new(leowenthal,dan,usabitnet,[email-masked]').
new(li,jing,imsl,[email-masked]').
new(liu,alex,berkeley,[email-masked]').
new(loach,xx,uk,[email-masked]').
new(lu,hueiiin,usabitnet,[email-masked]').
new(manohar,ram,usabitnet,[email-masked]').
new(mathias,roy,usabitnet,[email-masked]').
new(mayer,guenter,germany,[email-masked]').
new(mckenney,alan,nyu,[email-masked]').
new(merris,russ,lll,[email-masked]').
new(messer,james,usabitnet,[email-masked]').
new(miller,valerie,usabitnet,[email-masked]').
new(modi,jagdish,uk,[email-masked]').
new(morton,kw,uk,[email-masked]').
new(natarajan,ramesh,ibm,[email-masked]').
new(neaga,michael,germany,[email-masked]').
new(nelken,israel,rutgers,[email-masked]').
new(nelson,david,afosr,[email-masked]').
new(oliver,mark,wyoming,[email-masked]').
new(painter,jeff,lll,[email-masked]').
new(peters,jorg,wisconsin,[email-masked]').
new(peters,klaus,nogroup,[email-masked]').
new(plassmann,paul,cornell,[email-masked]').
new(polito,jonathan,duke,[email-masked]').
new(pryce,john,uk,[email-masked]').
new(quak,ewald,usabitnet,[email-masked]').
new(radicati,giuseppe,italy,[email-masked]').
new(ramage,xx,uk,[email-masked]').
new(rappaz,j,switzerland,[email-masked]').
new(ravachol,michel,texas,[email-masked]').
new(ray,scott,llnl,[email-masked]').
new(rendl,franz,austria,[email-masked]').
new(robert,yves,france,[email-masked]').
new(ruggiero,valeria,italy,[email-masked]').
new(sanders,richard,texas,[email-masked]').
new(sarker,tk,usabitnet,[email-masked]').
new(scolnik,hugo,argentina,[email-masked]').
new(scott,geoff,att,[email-masked]').
new(sehmi,navtej,uk,[email-masked]').
new(shann,wei-chang,penn-state,[email-masked]').
new(sidilkover,david,israel,[email-masked]').
new(silvester,david,uk,'mcbmsds%cms.umrcc.ac.uk').
new(sinha,pramath,nogroup,[email-masked]').
new(so,joseph,canada,[email-masked]').
new(sontag,eduardo,rutgers,[email-masked]').
new(stuart,andrew,uk,[email-masked]').
new(tavener,simon,penn-state,[email-masked]').
new(tranah,xx,uk,[email-masked]').
new(turkel,eli,israel,[email-masked]').
new(vandewalle,stefan,belgium,[email-masked]').
new(vaughan,courtenay,sandia,[email-masked]').
new(vavasis,steve,cornell,[email-masked]').
new(venkata,ramana,stanford,[email-masked]').
new(verbeke,johan,belgium,[email-masked]').
new(wang,zhu,nyu,[email-masked]').
new(washington,na,washington,[email-masked]').
new(yasar,osman,wisconsin,[email-masked]').
new(yeun,xx,canada,[email-masked]').
new(zehua,chen,yale,[email-masked]').
new(zha,hongyuan,germany,[email-masked]').
new(zhang,naiying,sweden,[email-masked]').

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------