Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 89 21:36:35 PST

NA Digest   Sunday, February 19, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 7

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     The 1989 Danish Summer School for Supercomputing

     [Ed note: Only one item this week.  A couple of
     other items got clobbered.  Sorry.  Please resubmit
     and we'll include them next week.]

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Jerzy Wasniewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 89 09:16:20 DNT
Subject: The 1989 Danish Summer School for Supercomputing

    The Danish Computing Centre for Research and Education (UNI-C),
              The Technical University of Denmark (DTH) and
                   The Danish Research Academy

                            invites to

              T H E   1 9 8 9   S U M M E R   S C H O O L
                                in
                          Supercomputing

          Numerical methods. Applications in chemistry and seismic.

              Monday 14th - Wednesday 23rd of August 1989

                    --------------------------
                       UNI-C
                       DTH, Building 305
                       DK-2800 LYNGBY
                       DENMARK
                    --------------------------

     UNI-C, DTH and The Danish Research Academy are pleased to announce
 the 1989 Summer School in Applied Numerical Methods on parallel and
 vector type Computers. The summer school is financially supported by
 The Danish Research Academy and the DP Capacity Board of The Danish
 Ministry for Education.

 The School comprises six series of classes within chemical simulation,
 quantum chemical calculations of electron orbits, seismic methods
 and general numerical algorithms for vector and parallel computers.
 The lectures will be given by international recognized researchers,
 and provide an inspiring insight into the prospects and challenges
 of computer applications of modern numerical methods.

 Application workshops on afternoons and evenings include tutorials
 in using UNI-C's computers, an Amdahl VP1100 vectorprocessor with
 128 Mbyte central memory and an Alliant FX/8. In addition there is an
 Intel Hypercube, kindly lent by the Department of Computer Science at
 The University of Copenhagen, and an Ardent Titan graphical supermini,
 which is placed at our disposal from High Tech Systems, Ballerup.

 Participants are requested to bring their own FORTRAN programs for
 the exercises, and use this opportunity to install and optimize their
 application program on one or more parallel type computers, guided
 and instructed by the guest lecturers and UNI-C staff.

 UNI-C is situated on the Technical University of Denmark campus
 in Lyngby, a northern suburb of Copenhagen (12 km from the
 Town Hall). UNI-C was established by a merger of three major
 University Computing Centres, Copenhagen, Aarhus and Lyngby to
 form one supercomputer centre for Denmark. Besides the Amdahl
 VP1100 with 30 Gbytes of disk storage, UNI-C has an IBM 3081,
 a UNISYS 1100/92, CDC Cyber, Alliant and several VAX'es.

 Guest professors:

  Dr. Bengt Fornberg (BF)
  Ph.D. from University of Uppsala 1972. Fellow, CERN, 1972-74.
  1975-84 Professor at California Institute of Technology.
  1984- Research Associate, Exxon Research and Engineering
  Company. Dr. Fornberg will talk on seismic modeling with special
  emphasis on pseudospectral methods.

  Dr. David Fincham (DF)
  Recent positions:
  Research Fellow, Royal Holloway College, London. Senior
  Consultant, DAP Support Unit,
  Queen Mary College, University of London.
  ICL Research Lecturer, University of York.
  Present position:
  Lecturer in Computational Physics, University of Keele.
  Dr. Fincham will
  talk on numerical methods in chemical modeling and simulation.

  Dr. V.R. Saunders (VS)
  Dr. Saunders is working at
  SERC, Daresbury, England, and is invited to talk on
  numerical methods in quantum chemical calculations.

  Dr. Jeremy du Croz (JC)
  B.A. Cambridge 1962, B.Sc. London 1975. University of London
  Computer Centre 1968-75. 1975- N.A.G. Ltd. Since 1981 responsible
  for adapting the NAG Library to vector-processing machines and
  other types of supercomputers. Dr. du Croz will talk on how to
  provide efficient transportable numerical software for supercomputers.
  Particular topics include level 2 and 3 BLAS, applications in
  linear algebra and nonlinear problems, the LAPACK project, FFTS's,
  Quadrature and random number generators.

  Dr. Iain Duff (ID)
  AERE, Harwell and CERFACS, France. Dr. Duff will
  talk on the solution of large sparse systems of linear equations,
  structure and factorisation.

  Dr. Michael T. Heath (MTH)
  Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tennessee, USA
  Dr. Heath will talk on algorithms for (massively) parallel
  computers.

 Workshops and tutorials in using the various summer school computers
 will be headed by UNI-C staff.

                            * * *
                   Preliminary Schedule of Speakers
                   --------------------------------
        | Mo    Tu    We    Th    Fr    Sa    Su    Mo    Tu    We
 --------------------------------------------------------------------
  9 am  | Reg.  VS    VS    VS    VS    W-T   Free  VS    VS    VS
 10 am  | Opn.  DF    DF    DF    DF    W-T    -    DF    DF    DF
 11 am  | sp.   BF    BF    BF    BF    W-T    -    BF    BF    BF
 12 am  | Lunch Lunch Lunch Lunch Lunch Lunch  -    Lunch Lunch Lunch
  1 pm  | JC    JC    JC    JC    JC    W-T   Soc.  Q&A   Q&A   Clos.
  2 pm  | JC    ID    ID    ID    ID    W-T   prog. ID    ID    sess.
  3 pm  | MTH   MTH   MTH   MTH   MTH   W-T    do.  MTH   MTH
  4 pm  |                                      do.  Workshops
  .     |      W o r k s h o p s   &           do.     &
  6 pm  |( D    D     D     D     D     D      do.  D     D )
  .     |          t u t o r i a l s           do.  tutorials
  9 pm  ------------------------------------------------------------

 Legend
 ------
 JC, VS, DF, BF, ID, MTH .. Guest professor initials (see above)
 Reg. ..................... Registration
 Opn. sp .................. Opening speech (N.N.)
 UNI-C .................... Introduction to UNI-C facilities
 W-T  ..................... Workshops and tutorials
 Soc. prog.  .............. Social arrangement and dinner
 Clos. sess. .............. Closing session.
 D  ....................... Dinner (not provided)
 Q&A   .................... Question and answer session

                           * * *

 Enrollment:

 The summer school is open to Danish, Nordic and International
 post graduate students. Applications from other students, post
 doctoral students and researchers are welcome, and applicants will
 be selected from those who are actively working on projects that
 are appropriate for parallel and vector type (super)computing. Enrollment
 Enrollment is limited to 40 participants. We expect 20 Danish, 10Nordic
 and 10 delegates from the international research community.

 The registration fee is DKR 3000, and covers lunch and lodging at
 nearby student recidence. Participants wishing to stay at more
 luxury or tourist hotels must pay their own accomodation expenses.
 The participants may apply for funding of traveling and lodging
 expenses. The summer school is free of charge for Danish and Nordic
 participants.

 Persons attending the summer school will be expected to have
 some experience in scientific and numerical modeling on computers.
 Preferably they should bring FORTRAN code which represents work
 in progress. The UNI-C staff will provide assistance in migrating
 code and data to the summer school computers. The participants are
 expected to improve this code during the workshop sessions assisted by
 guest professors, UNI-C staff and co-participants.

 For further information on this Summer School please contact:

                        Mrs. Mette Seborg
                        Manager, Education and Training
                        UNI-C, Copenhagen
                        DK-2100 Copenhagen @
                        Telephone:   +45  1 82 83 95
                        (as from May +45 35 82 83 95)

                  or    Jrgen Moth
                        E-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------