Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 89 19:57:33 PST

NA Digest   Sunday, January 15, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 2

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

      Errata Sheet for Kahaner, Moler and Nash
      Change of Address for Nancy Nichols
      Unsymmetric Lanczos
      Finite Differences Applied to Boundary Value Problems
      Info/code wanted on Patankar's SIMPLER model
      SIAM Upcoming Conferences
      Non-linear Unconstrained Optimization in Control
      Jenkins-Traub Algorithm for Polynomial Zeros
      New Book Series on Scientific Computing
      Positions at Boeing Computer Services
      Position in Computation at ARO

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Stephen Nash <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 89 10:16 EST
Subject: Errata Sheet for Kahaner, Moler and Nash

An errata sheet has been prepared for the book NUMERICAL METHODS AND
SOFTWARE by D. Kahaner, C. Moler, and S. Nash.  A copy can be obtained
by sending a message to Stephen Nash at NA.NASH on NA-NET, or by
writing to either

David Kahaner                     Stephen Nash
Technology Bldg., Room A151       ORAS Dept.
NIST                              George Mason University
Gaithersburg, MD 20899            Fairfax, VA 22030

Please include your mailing address, since the errata sheet will be sent
in paper rather than electronic form.

The errata sheet is constantly being updated.  If you find additional errors,
or have suggestions for later printings of the book, please let one of us
know.

------------------------------

From: Nancy Nichols <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 89 15:22:34 EST
Subject: Change of Address for Nancy Nichols

To friends and colleagues:  I am once again at North Carilina State University
      for this semester (until about May 6).  My e-mail address is
      [email-masked]  or the usual [email-masked]

      My office address and phone are
      Department of Mathematics
      North Carolina State University
      Box 8205
      Raleigh NC27695 - 8205

      (919)-737-3100  (or 737-3796 for mssgs)

      Home phone is (919) 782-4757

  Hope you all have a verrrry Happppy New Year.     Nancy

------------------------------

From: Wei Pai Tang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 89 15:56:32 EST
Subject: Unsymmetric Lanczos

I am developing a new tridiagonalization algorithm for unsymmetric
matrices and would like to compare with Lanczos algorithm. My experience
was: when n > 40, Lanczos provides no good information. I am not very 
sure if there is some better software available out there in NA-Net.
I would very much appreciate it if you might give me a pointer or
send me a better version of unsymmetric Lanczos. 

My email address is
           
	[email-masked]
	[email-masked]

Thank you in advance!

------------------------------

From: Adrian Barry <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Jan 89 14:47:12 GMT
Subject: Finite Differences Applied to Boundary Value Problems

	Has anyone in this hitherto neglected area got an algorithm for solving
boundary value DE's, using the finite difference method, combined with
Richardson's method ? Please ?!
	An answer combining both, or either one would be appreciated.

		Adrian Barry,
		Engineering Dept
		TCD, Ireland.

------------------------------

From: Mike Riley <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jan 89 06:08:15 GMT
Subject: Info/code wanted on Patankar's SIMPLER model

Has anybody had any experience implementing Patankar's finite
difference SIMPLER model for solving elliptic pde's?

I'm trying to write code to calculate flow and temperature
variables in an enclosure.  I'm assuming constant density
and steady state. Boundary conditions include no slip for the
walls, pressure and temperature may be either Dirichlet or
Von Neumann.  I'm using primitive variables as I might later
want to go to 3-D.

Any information/code would be greatly appreciated.  Please mail
replies to Mike Riley at:
      Internet: [email-masked]
      Bitnet:   [email-masked]

Thanks in advance,

Mike Riley.
Colorado State University, Fort Collins

------------------------------

From: Michelle Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 89 13:33 EST
Subject: SIAM Upcoming Conferences

SIAM Conference on Domain Decomposition Methods
March 20-22, 1989
J.W. Marriott Hotel, Houston, TX

Invited Presenters

Ken Kennedy, Rice University; William Symes, Rice University; Jacques Periaux,
Avions Marcel Dassault/Breguet Aviation, France; Mary F. Wheeler, University
of Houston; Pierre-Louis Lions, Universite de Paris; Yuri Kuznetsov, USSR
Academy of Sciences; Alfio Quarteroni; Catholic University of Brescia, Italy,
and Istituto di Analisi Numerica del Consiglio Nazionale delle Rescherche;
Gerard Meurant, Centre d'Etudes de Limeil-Valenton; Robert M. Ferencz,
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory; and James H. Bramble, Cornell
University.

Third SIAM Conference on Optimization
April 3-5, 1989
57 Park Plaza Hotel, Boston, MA

Invited Presenters

Kurt Anstreicher, Yale University; Jorge Nocedal, Northwestern University;
Richard A. Tapia, Rice University; Philippe L. Toint, Faculte Universitaire
Notre Dame de la Paix, Namur, Belgium; Dimitri P. Bertsekas, Massachusetts
Institute of Technology; Clovis Gonzaga, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro,
Brazil; James B. Orlin, Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Robert B.
Schnabel, University of Colorado, Boulder; and Philip E. Gill, Stanford
University.

SIAM Conference on Control in the 90's: Achievements, Opportunities and
Challenges
May 17-19, 1989
Cathedral Hill Hotel, San Francisco, CA

Invited Presenters

John A. Burns, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University; Wendell H.
Fleming, Brown University; Alberto Isidori, Universita degli Studi di Roma "La
Sapienza"; P.R. Kumar, University of Illinois, Urbana; Alan J. Laub,
University of California, Santa Barbara; Jacques Louis-Lions, College de
France and Centre National d'Etudes Spatiales, France; Andrzej Manitius,
George Mason University; Steven I. Marcus, University of Texas, Austin; Jan C.
Willems, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.

SIAM Annual Meeting
July 17-21, 1989
Sheraton Harbor Island Hotel, San Diego, CA

Invited Presenters

Jerry L. Bona, Pennsylvania State University; Tony F. Chan, University of
California, Los Angeles; James W. Demmel, Courant Institute of Mathematical
Sciences; James P. Keener, University of Utah; Hanoch Lev-Ari, Stanford
University; Thomas A. Manteuffel, Los Alamos National Laboratory and
University of Colorado, Denver; Robert L. Parker, University of California,
San Diego; Philip G. Saffman, California Institute of Technology; Danny C.
Sorensen, Argonne National Laboratory; and Jeffrey Speiser, Naval Ocean
Systems Center, San Diego.

SIAM Conference on Mathematical and Computational
Issues in Geophysical Fluid and Solid Mechanics
September 25-28, 1989
Stouffer Greenway Plaza Hotel, Houston, TX

Invited Presenters

Alain Bamberger, Institut Francais du Petrol, France; Michael M. Carroll, Rice
University; James Dieterich, U.S. Geological Survey; Jim Douglas, Jr., Purdue
University; Bjorn Engquist, University of California, Los Angeles; Paul C.
Fife, University of Utah; James M. Hyman, University of Arizona and Los Alamos
National Laboratory; Barbara L. Keyfitz, University of Houston; Andrew J.
Majda, Princeton University; Peter Ortoleva, Indiana University, Bloomington;
George Pinder, University of Vermont; Luc Tartar, Carnegie-Mellon University;
Mary F. Wheeler, University of Houston; and Benjamin S. White, Exxon Research
and Engineering Company.

SIAM Conference on Geometric Design
November 6-10, 1989
Sheraton Mission Palm Hotel, Tempe, AZ

Invited Presenters

Alan H. Barr, California Institute of Technology; Philip J. Davis, Brown
University; Rida Farouki, IBM-T.J. Watson Research Center; John A. Gregory,
Brunel University; Dave Gossard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Cleve
Moler, Ardent Computer Corporation; John Rice, Purdue University; Larry
Schumaker, Vanderbilt University; Tom Sederberg, Brigham Young University;
Peter Wilson, General Electric Corporation; Michael Wozny, Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute.

For further information on registration or to obtain abstracts for
contributing papers or minisymposia, please contact:

SIAM Conference Coordinator
Suite 1400, Architects Building
117 S. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA  19103-5052
(215) 564-2929
FAX: 215-564-4174
E-Mail Address: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Elizabeth Seaman <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jan 89 07:58:10 GMT
Subject: Non-linear Unconstrained Optimization in Control

I am looking for references/pointers to the adaptive control
literature concerning the problem of search strategies in
"parameter space" for control problems.   

This can also be thought of as belonging to the non-linear
unconstrained optimization realm.

In particular, I am interested in "diffusion" type approaches,
methods for controlling step size, methods for finding search
directions, and feedback paradigms.

Thanks for your help...  e-mail to address below;  I will post
a summary if there is interest.

   [email-masked]
   [email-masked]
   ...!sdcsvax!maiden
   ...!beowulf!maiden

      Elizabeth C. Seaman
      University of California, San Diego

------------------------------

From: Jonathan M. Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 89 11:14:48 est 
Subject: Jenkins-Traub Algorithm for Polynomial Zeros

	Does anyone have a typed-in, working version of ACM algorithm #419,
for zeros of a complex polynomial (a.k.a. Jenkins-Traub). Fortran is fine,
although C would be better for my purposes.

	Thanks,
	-Jonathan

	[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Youcef Saad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 13:54:59 PST
Subject: New Book Series on Scientific Computing

Manchester University Press announces a new series in computer
science entitled:

"ALGORITHMS AND ARCHITECTURES FOR ADVANCED SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING"

        This new series will focus on recent advances in 
scientific computing, with emphasis on new algorithmic methods
and computer architectures. It will reflect the rapid developments 
in advanced scientific computing as a whole, including the aspects
that are purely algorithmic and those related to the
impact of supercomputer technology. Some of the topics where
books and monographs are actively sought are the following:
1) Parallel and vector numerical and non-numerical algorithms ;
2) Supercomputer applications;
3) New algorithms and methods in scientific computing;
4) Modern architectures for scientific computing.
The series will not include conference proceedings. Rather it will
consist of structured books written by an individual or a small
expert group. It is planned to co-publish the series in the US.
 
  Series Editors:

	Dr. Yves Robert			    Dr. Youcef Saad
	Laboratoire LIP-IMAG		    RIACS MS 230-5
	Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon    NASA Ames res. Center
	46 allee d'Italie		    Moffett Field, CA 94035
	69364 Lyon Cedex 07 Lyon  FRANCE        
	[email-masked] (uucp)     [email-masked]
	
  Editorial Board:

	. Tony F. Chan, UCLA
	. George Cybenko, University of Illinois
	. Bill Gropp, Yale
	. Marina Chen, Yale
	. Michel Cosnard, Ecole Normale Sup., Lyon (France).
	. Prof. D. J. Evans, Loughborough, UK
	. Piero Sguazzero, IBM ECSEC Rome
	
 If you are interested in publishing a book in the series
 or would like further information write to the series editors.

------------------------------

From: Roger Grimes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 14:16:05 pst
Subject: Positions at Boeing Computer Services

                           Job Opportunities
                                in the
                       Applied Mathematics Group
                                  in
                       Boeing Computer Services

The Applied Mathematics Group in Boeing Computer Services,  located in
Seattle,   Washington  anticipates openings in early  1989   for  well
qualified individuals in

                       Numerical Linear Algebra
                          Information Theory
                           Image Processing

We  are  looking  for entry level or experienced PhDs  with  either  a
dissertation  or post-graduate experience in one or more of the  above
fields and an interest in applying this background to challenging real
world problems.

Our  group consists of about 35  mathematicians performing  consulting
and  research  work  for  other  parts of  The  Boeing  Company,   for
commercial  customers,   and for governmental agencies.    We  require
individuals   capable   of   working  independently  in   a   dynamic,
multidisciplinary  environment  on  complex  algorithm, analysis,  and
application software problems.

Qualified applicants should send a resume to:

                         Dr. James L. Philips
                     Manager, Applied Mathematics
                       Boeing Computer Services
                       P.O. Box 24346, MS 7L-21
                        Seattle, WA  98124-0346

Inquiries via  electronic  mail  can  be made  to  either  John  Lewis
(na.lewis) or Roger Grimes (na.grimes).

                     Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer

------------------------------

From: Arthur Wouk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 14:10:35 EST
Subject: Position in Computation at ARO

I will be retiring at the end of March, and the official announcement
of a search for my replacement follows. Please note that this is a
position at the Ph.D. level for someone with active research
experience in areas related to scientific computation and a wide range
of interests. For further details about the technical content of the
position, feel free to contact Dr. Jagdish Chandra, Director,
Mathematical Sciences Division, ARO, at 919-549-0641. Details of how
to obtain the forms required for applying for the  position are listed
below:

				Arthur Wouk, ARO

                         U.S. ARMY RESEARCH OFFICE
                              P.O. BOX 12211
               RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, NORTH CAROLINA 27709

POSITION:       Mathematician, GS-1520-14 or Computer Scientist, GS-1550-14
                (Interdisciplinary Position)

SALARY:         $48,592 - $63,172 per annum

LOCATION:       Mathematical Sciences Division, U.S. Army Research Office
                Research Triangle Park, North Carolina

OPENING DATE:   17 January 1989

CLOSING DATE:   16 February 1989

AREA OF CONSIDERATION:  All Sources.  Applications will be accepted from 
current career or career-conditional employees, reinstatement eligibles and 
non-status applicants eligible for appointment from an appropriate Office 
of Personnel Management register.  Consideration will also be given to 
individuals eligible under special authorities (e.g., physically 
handicapped, 30% or more disabled veterans).
ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE CONSIDERATION FOR THE ABOVE POSITION 
WITHOUT DISCRIMINATION FOR ANY NON-MERIT REASON SUCH AS RACE, COLOR, 
RELIGION, SEX, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, POLITICS, MARITAL STATUS, PHYSICAL 
HANDICAP WHICH DOES NOT INTERFERE WITH ACCOMPLISHMENT OF JOB, OR 
MEMBERSHIP/NON-MEMBERSHIP IN AN EMPLOYEE ORGANIZATION.

DUTIES:  Serves as Program Manager of the Computational Mathematics Program 
which includes Numerical Analysis, Optimization, Discrete Mathematics and 
Theoretical Computer Science.  Research projects emphasize the development 
and analysis of numerical methods for the solution of nonlinear equations 
arising in such areas as solid and fluid mechanics, aerodynamics and 
chemical kinetics, as well as the development of the underlying 
technologies in numerical linear algebra, nonlinear algebraic systems and 
optimization.  Other research projects are directed toward new technologies 
in high performance computing relating to scientific computing and 
mathematical software and the computational aspects of robots, including 
new mathematical methods in computational geometry and control logics for 
robot manipulators.  Evaluates and correlates the requirements, scope and 
objectives of the overall Army research program in computational 
mathematics and/or theoretical computer science.  Evaluates and 
disseminates the results of the research programs of the Army and also 
those of other Government and private agencies (domestic and foreign) which 
may be of significant interest to the Army.  Initiates and exercises 
surveillance over research contracts and/or grants.  The actual research is 
conducted in institutions of higher learning, private research 
organizations, laboratories, and other Government agencies.  Makes 
significant decisions as to the acceptability of proposals to perform 
research projects, taking into consideration such factors as the competence 
of research investigators, relevancy and type of research proposed and 
necessity for such research in terms of military and fiscal considerations.  
Reviews progress and technical reports on research in progress, making 
major decisions as to their significance and whether they warrant continued 
support.  Maintains personal contact with all scientists involved in the 
program, overseeing their performance, aiding in the solution of their 
problems and bringing Army needs to their attention.  Pursues research 
and/or advanced study within or outside of locally available institutions 
on projects of personal interest and whose content is relevant to the 
mission of the Army.

MINIMUM OPM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:  Basic Requirements:  Candidates 
must show successful completion of a full 4-year or longer curriculum in an 
accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's (or higher) 
degree.  For GS-1520, course of study must have included 24 semester hours 
in mathematics.  For GS-1550, course of study must have included 30 
semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer 
science that provided in-depth knowledge of the (1) theoretical foundations 
and practical applications of computer science, including digital computer 
system architecture and system software organization, the representation 
and transformation of information structures, and the theoretical models 
for such representations and transformations; and (2) essential 
mathematical and statistical techniques.  Professional Experience:  In 
addition to the basic requirement, candidates must have three years of 
professional experience in computational mathematics and/or theoretical 
computer science.  This experience must have equipped the candidate with 
the knowledge and ability to perform fully the work of the position.  
Candidates may have equivalent combinations of professional experience and 
graduate education as authorized in OPM Handbook X-118, GS-1520 and 
GS-1550.  Quality of Experience:  At least one year of the required 
experience must have been at a level of difficulty comparable to that of 
the next lower grade level in the Federal service.

SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR:  Ability to perform fundamental research in 
mathematics or computer science.

TIME-IN-GRADE REQUIREMENT:  Candidates for advancement to a position at the 
GS-14 level must have completed at least one year of service in positions 
no more than one grade lower than the position to be filled.

SPECIAL REQUIREMENT:  Available to travel up to 30% of the time.

SECURITY REQUIREMENT:  Selection for or retention in this position is 
contingent upon satisfactory results of a security investigation and 
ability to obtain appropriate security clearance.  Offer of position may be 
withdrawn or employee may be terminated if above conditions of employment 
are not met.

CRITERIA FOR DETERMINING HIGHLY QUALIFIED:  Applicants will be evaluated as 
to degree of possession of Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA) listed 
below:

1.  Ability to plan, direct, and guide a research program in computational 
mathematics and/or theoretical computer science.

2.  Ability to evaluate research proposals for technical merit.

3.  Advanced knowledge at doctorate level or equivalent scientific studies 
and research in computational mathematics and/or theoretical computer 
science and evidence that technical competence has been maintained.

4.  Ability to interact with other scientists, professional groups and 
management officials.

EVALUATION METHODS:  BASIC ELIGIBILITY will be determined by review of the 
applicant's SF 171 against:  (1) Minimum qualifications in accordance with 
the USOPM Handbook, X-118, Mathematics Series, GS-1520 or Computer Science 
Series, GS-1550, and (2) Any selective placement factors.  HIGHLY QUALIFIED 
determinations will be based upon evaluation of the candidate's background 
as compared to the KSA's by application of the following rating 
instruments:  experience, training and education, supervisory appraisals 
and related awards.  BEST QUALIFIED candidates will be derived by further 
evaluation and ranking of the highly qualified group.  Ranking is required 
when there are more than 10 basically eligible candidates.

HOW TO APPLY:  Applicants who have status with the Federal Government 
should forward one copy of the following documents to:  U.S. Army Research 
Office, ATTN: SLCIS-CP-AR, P.O. Box 12211, Research Triangle Park, NC 
27709-2211.  Documentation must be received by closing date.  (1) A 
completed Standard Form 171 (Personal Qualifications Statement).  Item 1 of 
the SF 171 should identify "Mathematician" or "Computer Scientist" and ARO 
Announcement No. 89-5; (2) ARO Supplemental Applicant Statement; (3) ARO 
Supervisory Appraisal of Job Related Knowledge, Skills and Abilities; (4) 
Latest Supervisory Performance Rating; (5) OPM Form 1386; and (6) Current 
SF 50, Notification of Personnel Action.

Non-status applicants should contact the ARO Support Branch, U.S. Army 
Research Office (numbers listed below) to obtain appropriate forms to be 
placed on the Office of Personnel Management register for Mathematician and 
related positions in the southeastern United States.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:  To obtain further information about the position, 
contact ARO Support Branch, AUTOVON 935-3331 or Commercial (919) 549-0641, 
Extension 212.

RELOCATION SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION FOR CURRENT FEDERAL 
EMPLOYEES.

USE OF POSTAGE-PAID GOVERNMENT AGENCY ENVELOPES TO FILE JOB APPLICATIONS IS 
A VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW AND REGULATIONS.  APPLICATIONS RECEIVED IN 
POSTAGE-PAID GOVERNMENT ENVELOPES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------