Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 88 08:49:27 PST

NA Digest   Sunday, December 4, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 48

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Argonne Parallel Programming Class
     Manager of Supercomputing Support at Berkeley
     Complexity of Approximately Solved Problems
     Army High Performance Computing Research Center
     Discrete Laplace Transform
     Position at the University of Kansas
     Software for 8087 Emulation
     Visiting Position for a Chinese Numerical Linear Algebraist
     Positions at Stanford

-------------------------------------------------------

From: David Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 88 16:41:13 CST
Subject: Argonne Parallel Programming Class

Argonne National Laboratory has set up the Advanced Computing Research
Facility (ACRF) for the study of parallel computing.  To encourage the
use of the ACRF,  Argonne will be offering classes on parallel computing
to familiarize potential users with the ACRF multiprocessors and parallel
programming in general.  Topics to be covered include:

1) Parallelizing compilers.
2) The Monitor and Schedule packages for portable parallel programming.
3) Hypercube programming.
4) DAP Programming.
5) Connection Machine Programming.

A portion of the third day will be devoted to each attendee's particular
project.  The format of the course is alternating lectures and hands-on
work with the parallel computers in the ACRF.  At its completion participants
will have written and run programs on each machine, and should be familiar
with the ACRF environment.  Fortran will be emphasized as the primary
programming language.  Knowledge of Fortran and Unix will be assumed.

The upcoming schedule of classes is:

January 18-20, 1989
March   15-17, 1989
May     3-5,   1989
June    21-23, 1989
August  16-18, 1989
October 11-13, 1989

Parallel computers currently in the ACRF are:

    2-processor Ardent Titan
    8-processor Alliant FX/8
   16-processor Intel iPSC-VX hypercube
   20-processor Encore Multimax
   24-processor Sequent Balance 21000
   32-processor Intel iPSC hypercube
 1024-processor Active Memory Technology DAP
16384-processor Thinking Machines CM-2

Those interested in the classes should contact

Teri Huml
Mathematics and Computer Science Division
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL  60439-4844
(312) 972-7163
[email-masked]

There will be a $25.00 charge for the class. 
No financial support is available.

------------------------------

From: Jerry Berkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 88 16:12:39 PST
Subject: Manager of Supercomputing Support at Berkeley

Please distribute this to anyone at your site who you think might
be interested. Thank you.

  The University of California at Berkeley is recruiting for the position
  of Manager of the Supercomputing Support Group.  The salary range currently
  associated with the position is $49,600-$74,400, although the starting salary
  for such positions is usually at or below the midpoint of the range ($62,000)
  and depends upon the qualifications and salary history of the applicant.

  We anticipate that an initial review of the applications received will
  occur on December 16.  For further information, please contact Joe Yeaton
  at 415-642-2521 or [email-masked] (please do not respond to me).
  A brief description of the responsibilities of the position and requested
  qualifications follows.

  Duties and Responsibilities:

     --   Responsible for support of the campus Cray X-MP/14
    supercomputer and associated software, including the Unicos
    operating system, compilers, and mathematical and other
    software.  Manage a group of systems programmers and user
    support analysts who maintain and enhance this software and
    who provide assistance to campus users of supercomputers.
    Coordinate activities of UC staff and on-site vendor support
    personnel to maximize availability and responsiveness of the
    service.  Promote effective use of the Cray through classes,
    documentation, and other assistance to users in porting and
    vectorizing code and in the use of libraries and applica-
    tions packages.  Work with faculty to identify current and
    future campus needs for supercomputing and develop strate-
    gies for meeting these needs, including access to off-campus
    resources and enhancements to campus facilities.

  Desired qualifications:

     ---  Masters degree in computer science, or in a scientific
    or engineering discipline (or equivalent combination of edu-
    cation and experience).  Experience with large-scale scien-
    tific application codes and FORTRAN required.  Experience
    with administration of a supercomputer facility, supervisory
    experience and strong written and oral communications skills
    required.  Ability to work well with faculty, staff, and
    vendor personnel required.  In-depth knowledge of the Unicos
    operating system desired.  Knowledge of supercomputer net-
    working and mass storage systems, IBM VM/CMS and MVS, the
    internet protocols and NSC Hyperchannel also desired.

------------------------------

From: Kerny McLaughlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1988 9:13:21 EST
Subject: Complexity of Approximately Solved Problems

			   CALL FOR PAPERS

    Third Symposium on Complexity of Approximately Solved Problems

			   April 3-5, 1989

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:

                     Kenneth Arrow
                     Department of Economics
                     Stanford University
                     Stanford, California

                     Jerome Feldman
                     International Computer Science Institute
                     147 Center Street
                     Berkeley, California  

                     Richard Karp
                     Computer Science Department
                     University of California at Berkeley
                     Berkeley, California

                     Christos Papadimitriou
                     Computer Science Department
                     University of California at San Diego
                     San Diego, California

                     Steven Smale
                     Mathematics Department
                     University of California at Berkeley
                     Berkeley, California  

                     Joseph Traub
                     Computer Science Department
                     Columbia University
                     New York, New York

                     Henryk Wozniakowski
                     Computer Science Department
                     Columbia University
                     New York, New York 

                     Donald Ylvisaker
                     Statistics Department
                     University of California at Los Angeles
                     Los Angeles, California

SOME OF THE TOPICS TO BE ADDRESSED ARE:

Average Case Analysis of Algorithms     Neural Nets
Computational Complexity                Optimal Recovery
Computer Vision                         Parallel Computation
Connectionist Models                    Prediction and Estimation
Continuous Complexity                   Random Algorithms
Decision Theory                         Random Complexity 
Design of Experiment                    Robotics
Distributed Complexity                  Scientific Computation
Information-Based Complexity            Seismology
Inverse Problems                        Signal Processing
Mathematical Economics

INVITED SPEAKERS: Invitations have been sent to the invited speakers.
A list of invited speakers will be posted in one to two months.

CONTRIBUTED PAPERS: All appropriate papers for which abstracts are
contributed will be scheduled. Contributed papers will be twenty
minutes in length.  This is the same length as invited papers.
Contributed papers will be presented in parallel sessions.

To contribute a paper send title, author, affiliation, and abstract on
a single 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper or by electronic mail.

The above can be sent by U.S. mail or electronic mail to:

                     J.F. Traub
                     Computer Science Department
                     Columbia University
                     450 Computer Science Building
                     New York, New York  10027

                     Electronic Mail:  [email-masked]

TITLES AND ABSTRACTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY NO LATER THAN FEBRUARY 1, 1989

PUBLICATION:  Invited papers will be published in the Journal of Complexity.

REGISTRATION: The symposium will be held in the Kellogg Conference
Center, on the fifteenth floor of the International Affairs Building,
Columbia University, 118th Street and Amsterdam Avenue.  Registration
will start at 9:00 a.m.  THERE IS NO REGISTRATION CHARGE.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: The program schedule will be sent
electronically about March 1, 1989.  If you have any questions,
contact Kerny McLaughlin, Computer Science Department, Columbia 
University, (212) 854-2736.

To help us plan the symposium please complete the information 
below and return by U.S. Mail to Traub or by electronic mail to 
[email-masked].

SYMPOSIUM ON COMPLEXITY OF APPROXIMATELY SOLVED PROBLEMS
April 3-5, 1989

Name:                               
Affiliation:
Address:
[ ]  I will attend the Complexity Symposium.
[ ]  I may attend the Complexity Symposium.
[ ]  I will contribute a paper.

------------------------------

From: Arthur Wouk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 88 10:58:04 
Subject: Army High Performance Computing Research Center

	Army High Performance Computing Research Center

So far, almost NO universities have contacted the procurement people 
listed at the end of the flier about the AHPCRC which appeared in
Commerce Business Daily on 21/22 November and was distributed on nanet
some what before that date. It is important that this contact be made
by someone at your institution because all information about where and
when the pre-solicitation meeting  will be, and early versions of the
statement of work for the proposed center will be forthcoming from
THEM. If your institution is interested, you have to get involved now.

The current date for the pre-solicitation meeting is January 10 at
Adelphi, Maryland (just outside the Beltway in Washington, DC.) If you
are in contact with them, a preliminary statement of work  may be
available prior to that date, which would be helpful to prospective
bidders.

If you require any further information from the Army Research Office
from Dec. 1 to Dec 15, please call Dr. Jagdish Chandra at
919-559-0641. I will be back as [email-masked] and/or
[email-masked] after Dec 14, I hope. I also respond to the same
phone.

------------------------------

From: Manfred Trummer <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Nov 88 11:22 -0800
Subject: Discrete Laplace Transform

Someone here at SFU working in population dynamics
wants to use discrete Laplace transforms.
He would be very greatful for important references you
can provide, and any pointers to existing codes.
Please direct your replies to na.trummer.
Thanks,
--Manfred Trummer

------------------------------

From: Ralph Byers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1988 12:47:21.32 CST
Subject: Position at the University of Kansas

                 Department of Mathematics
                    University of Kansas

Applications are  invited  for  tenure-track  and  temporary
positions  at  all  levels, commencing August 16, 1989 or as
negotiated.  Field is unrestricted but  preference  will  be
given  to  numerical analysis, probability/statistics and to
areas meshing well with the department's needs.  A Ph.D. (or
Ph.D.  dissertation  accepted  with  only  formalities to be
completed) is required.

Application, detailed resume with  description  of  research
and  three  recommendation  letters  should be sent to C. J.
Himmelberg, Chairman, Department of Mathematics,  University
of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045-2142.

For details, contact Ralph Byers at the  above  address,  by
email at [email-masked] or by telephone (913)864-3651.

Deadlines: December 1, 1988 for  first  consideration,  then
monthly until August 1, 1989.

The University of Kansas is an AA/EOE.

------------------------------

From: Warren Ferguson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 88 15:25:10 CST
Subject: Software for 8087 Emulation

I am looking for information on the availability of software
packages emulating the INTEL 8087.  Can anyone help me with
addresses and/or telephone numbers?

Warren Ferguson
Southern Methodist University
Mathematics Department
Dallas, TX       75275
na.ferguson
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Biswa Datta <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 88 10:39:13 CST
Subject: Visiting Position for a Chinese Numerical Linear Algebraist

 During my recent visit to China, a well-known chinese numerical linear
algebraist Professor Erxiong Jiang expressed his interest in visiting
a North-American university for a part or whole of the academic year
1989-1990. Professor Jiang visited University of California, Berkeley
during 1979-1981 and collaborated with Professors Parlett and Kahan.
I believe Professor Jiang will be an excellent visitor.
Here is the address to comunicate with Professor Jiang :
      
        Professor Jiang Erxiong
        Deaprtment of Mathematics
        Fudan University
        Sanghai, Pepole Republic of China

I have a copy of Professor Jiang's vita in case any one needs it fast.

        Biswa Nath Datta
        (815)753-6759
        e-mail: [email-masked]
                [email-masked]
                   and
                [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Joe Oliger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 88 12:23:05 PST
Subject: Positions at Stanford

                     STANFORD UNIVERSITY

Stanford University solicits application for one or more faculty positions
for its Scientific Computing and Computational Mathematics (SC/CM) Program.
Appointments will be made in or jointly between the Departments of
Computer Science, fields of Engineering and Mathematics as appropriate
for individuals appointed.
The SC/CM Program is a graduate program offering M.S. and Ph.D. degrees.
This program is devoted to interdisciplinary scientific issues arising
in the computer simulation or analysis of systems arising in the sciences.
Persons at both junior and senior levels will be considered, and an
outstanding record of achievement, commensurate with the proposed level,
is expected.

Candidates are expected to have a commitment to excellence in teaching
and a record of competence in research.
We are especially interested in candidates with research interests in
finite element methods for partial differential equations and
computational optimization, but encourage those with other interests
to apply.

Candidates should send a vita and names of at least four references to:
             Prof. Joseph Oliger
             Department of Computer Science
             Stanford University
             Stanford, CA \quad 94305.

Stanford is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------