Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 88 09:38:44 PST

NA Digest   Sunday, November 27, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 47

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     New NA-net members in South America
     New Members of NA-net
     Fourth Leslie Fox Prize Competition
     Changes of Address for Chris Paige
     Quadratically Constrained Optimization Question
     Effects of Finite Precision
     Connection Machine Benchmarks
     Position in Linz, Austria

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Gene Golub <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 88 10:42:19 PST
Subject: New NA-net members in South America

We now have two NA-net members in Argentina. Messages can be sent in
English or Spanish! Welcome to the wonderful world of e-mail.
Gene

ARGENTINA *
 jacovkis, pablo (na.jacovkis) [email-masked]
 milaszewicz, jp (na.milaszewicz) [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Gene Golub <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 88 10:44:23 PST
Subject: New Members of NA-net

Agnew,Robert,trw,[email-masked]'
Baehr,Geoffrey,trw,[email-masked]'
Battifarano,Ernest,nyu,[email-masked]'
Bennett,Larry,usabitnet,[email-masked]'
Bergen,Na,norway,[email-masked]'
Bergstrom,Pete,usabitnet,[email-masked]'
Burns,John,usabitnet,[email-masked]'
Cecchi,Maria,italy,'adtmora%ipduniv.bitnet@forsythe'
Chan,Raymond,nogroup,[email-masked]'
Chang,Yf,nogroup,[email-masked]'
Chow,Sum,wyoming,[email-masked]'
Chu,Eleanor,canada,'echu%watfun.waterloo.edu'
Conroy,John,super,[email-masked]'
Coriand,Andrea,germany,[email-masked]'
Crutchfield,Bill,usabitnet,[email-masked]'
Datta,Biswa,illinois,[email-masked]'
Datta,Karabi,illinois,[email-masked]'
Deflorio,Angelo,italy,[email-masked]'
Dellnitz,Michael,germany,[email-masked]'
Donaldson,Janet,nist,[email-masked]'
Dunigan,Tom,ornl,[email-masked]'
Eiermann,Michael,germany,[email-masked]'
Eijkhout,Victor,nogroup,[email-masked]'
Erbatt,Staff,nogroup,'erbatt@[128.235.1.80]'
Espelid,Terje,norway,[email-masked]'
Fishelov,Dalia,israel,[email-masked]'
Garaizar,Xabier,nyu,[email-masked]'
Grothkopf,Uwe,germany,[email-masked]'
Gupta,Murli,usabitnet,[email-masked]'
Gyer,Maurice,arizona,[email-masked]
Handscomb,David,uk,'dch%vax.oxford.ac.uk'
Hanke,Martin,germany,[email-masked]'
Hariharan,Si,usabitnet,[email-masked]'
Higham,Desmond,canada,[email-masked]'
Hvidsten,Anders,norway,[email-masked]'
Jongpang,X,usabitnet,'msc_wjp%jhuvms.bitnet@forsythe'
Juszczak,James,texas,[email-masked]'
Kletsky,Jeffrey,sri,[email-masked]'
Kratzer,Steven,super,[email-masked]'
Leuze,Mike,ornl,[email-masked]'
Meyer,Gunter,germany,[email-masked]'
Milaszewicz,Jp,argentina,[email-masked]'
Moe,Randi,norway,[email-masked]'
Niethammer,Wilhelm,germany,[email-masked]'
Nist,Na,nist,[email-masked]'
Olesen,Trond,norway,[email-masked]'
Ong,Beth,washington,[email-masked]'
Overholt,Kjell,norway,[email-masked]'
Phillips,Tim,uk,[email-masked]'
Rafiei,Mehrdad,cray,[email-masked]'
Rainers,Awatzki,germany,'am30360%dhhuni4.bitnet@forsythe'
Rakesh,X,delaware,[email-masked]'
Robert,Francois,france,[email-masked]'
Ruggiero,Valeria,italy,[email-masked]'
Shen,Yun-qiu,washington,[email-masked]'
Simmons,Kim,wisconsin,[email-masked]'
Skogen,Morten,norway,[email-masked]'
Starke,Gerhard,germany,[email-masked]'
Steihaug,Trond,norway,[email-masked]'
Storoy,Sverre,norway,[email-masked]'
Traub,Joe,columbia,[email-masked]'
Trw,Na,trw,[email-masked]'
Winograd,Sam,ibm,[email-masked]'
Womersley,Rob,argonne,[email-masked]'

------------------------------

From: K. W. Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: 21-NOV-1988 10:45:51 GMT
Subject: Fourth Leslie Fox Prize Competition

             Fourth Leslie Fox Prize, September 4th, 1989

                          Call for Papers

	Entries are invited for the fourth Leslie Fox Prize competition.
Any person who is less than 31 years old on January 1st, 1989, and has not
already won a first prize is eligible.  Each entry should consist of three
copies of a paper, describing some of the candidate's research, that is
suitable for a 40 minute lecture at a numerical analysis symposium.
Whether or not the work has been published or accepted for publication is
irrelevant, but no person may submit more than one paper.  Unsuccessful
candidates from previous competitions are encouraged to enter.

	The entries will be considered by an Adjudicating Committee, its
members being K. W. Morton (Oxford University), J. C. Mason (Shrivenham),
and N. K. Nichols (Reading University).  Particular attention will be given
to the originality and quality of each paper, and to the suitability of the
material for a 40 minute talk to a general audience of numerical analysts.
About five papers will be selected by the Committee for presentation at a
symposium that will be held at the University of Cambridge on Monday,
September 4th, 1989.  Only the papers that are presented at the symposium
will be eligible for awards but, subject to this restriction, the
Adjudicating Committee may award any number of first and secondary prizes.

	Entries should reach Professor K. W. Morton (Oxford University
Computing Laboratory, 8-11 Keble Road, Oxford OX1 3QD, England; e-mail
address [email-masked]) not later than April 3rd, 1989.  Each
candidate should include a statement that his or her year of birth is not
earlier than 1958, and should indicate whether he or she would be available
to present his or her paper at the symposium.  The Adjudicating Committee
may allow a deputy to present a paper in a case of exceptional merit. The
receipt of all entries will be acknowledged.  It is unlikely that travel
funds will be available to assist candidates who attend the symposium.  Any
questions on this notice should be addressed to a member of the
Adjudicating Committee.

------------------------------

From: Chris Paige  <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 88 11:43:12 EST
Subject: Changes of Address for Chris Paige

My office address in Montreal has changed to -

Chris Paige
McGill University
School of Computer Science
McConnell Engineering Building  
3480 University Street
Montreal, PQ
Canada         H3A 2A7

Phone     1-514-398-3742
Messages  1-514-398-7071(cs office)
Fax       1-514-398-3883
CSNET address:   [email-masked]

I will be on sabbatical in Australia from 25th November until 28th April 1989.
My address will be -

Chris Paige
Basser Department of Computer science
Madsen Building, F09
Sydney University
N.S.W. 2006
Australia

CS Dept phone  61-2-692 3423
Fax            61-2-692-3838
email  [email-masked] (or [email-masked]) on CSNET
and apparently   [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Henry Wolkowicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 88 13:40:28 EST
Subject: Quadratically Constrained Optimization Question

I am interested in obtaining references to work on:
minimizing a convex function subject to a single quadratic constraint
(that of being on the unit circle) and/or the additional
simple nonnegativity constraint. 

Henry Wolkowicz; Department of Combinatorics and Optimization;
Faculty of Mathematics; University of Waterloo;
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada  N2L 3G1 (519-888-4597)
[email-masked]; [email-masked]}
[email-masked]; [email-masked]   }
Good Day eh!

------------------------------

From: Kosmo D. Tatalias <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue 22 Nov 88 20:14:28-EST
Subject: Effects of Finite Precision

I am interested in the effects of finite precision on the finding of
solutions to systems of equations having a large number of complex-valued
unknowns.  Any pointers to references, software ala ACM Algorithm 532,
and the whereabouts of Webb Miller or Celia Wrathall would be appreciated.

Kosmo D. Tatalias
Atlantic Aerospace Electronics Corp.
6404 Ivy Lane, Suite 300
Greenbelt, MD  20770-6247

(301)982-5239 Office
     982-5278 FAX
     294-2558 Home

------------------------------

From: Kosmo D. Tatalias <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed 23 Nov 88 08:07:41-EST
Subject: Connection Machine Benchmarks

I would like to know how fast the Connection Machine can solve systems
of linear equations.  If you are beta testing the Thinking Machines
Fortran 8X compiler, have you run the Dongarra LINPACK benchmarks ?
I would also be interested in Paris or C* implementations of Gaussian
elimination or Gauss-Jordan.

Thinking Machines has not yet responded to my requests for such information.
The only information I have obtained is slower than I expected, by a
factor of 30.

Kosmo D. Tatalias
Atlantic Aerospace Electronics Corp.
6404 Ivy Lane, Suite 300
Greenbelt, MD  20770-6247

(301)982-5239 Office
     982-5278 FAX
     294-2558 Home

------------------------------

From: Heinz W. Engl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 88 15:49:52 EDT
Subject: Position in Linz, Austria

Tenured  Position of a Full Professor
for Symbolic Computation
at the Johannes Kepler University in Linz (Austria)
(Research Institute for Symbolic Computation)

Applications are invited for a newly created tenured position of a full
professor at the School of Technical Sciences, Johannes Kepler University
in Linz, Austria. Candidates should have an outstanding research record
in at least one of the main areas of symbolic computation (computer algebra,
computer analysis, computational geometry, computational logic, automatic
programming etc.), a commitment to excellence in graduate teaching, and
the ability and willingness to combine, in their field of expertise, mathe-
matical/algorithmic foundations with potential industrial applications
(for example, expert systems, geometrical modeling, robot programming,
scientific software). Teaching and supervising of students may also be in
English. Candidates from foreign countries are explicitly encouraged.

The School of Technical Sciences has installed an independent institute for
symbolic computation (RISC-LINZ, Research Institute for Symbolic Computation)
with an 8 member faculty under the direction of Prof. Bruno Buchberger.
RISC-LINZ operates in close interaction with the Department of Computer
Science (a twenty-six member faculty) and the Department of Mathematics (a
twenty-two member faculty).

At Johannes Kepler University, the symbolic computation effort is a part of
and a major driving force for a planned expansion (by 10 full professor-
ships) of the School of Technical Science in the direction of "mechatronics"
(intelligent control of technical production) in close cooperation with
Austrian industry.

The new site of RISC-LINZ, a medevial castle 15 minutes from Linz, equipped
with excellent computing facilities, combines the advantages of city life
with the pleasures of a rural environment in one of the most beautiful
landscapes and in the cultural heart of Austria and Europe.

Applicants should send a resume (together with a few important publications
representing the candidates research expertise) to the Dean of the School of
Technical Sciences, Prof. Dr. Peter Weiss, Johannes Kepler University, A4040
Linz (Austria). (Telephone Austria (732) 2468-312.), by February 28, 1989.
Further information can also be obtained form the Chairman of RISC-LINZ,
Prof. Dr. Bruno Buchberger, Johannes Kepler University, A4040 Linz.
(Tel: Austria (732) 2468-9219.
Electronic mail: [email-masked].)

On NA.Net, information can be obtained via Prof.Heinz W. Engl,
electronic mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------