Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 88 13:18:51 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, October 23, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 42

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     The Sixth Texas Symposium on Approximation Theory 
     Job opening at IMSL 
     Positions at Bergen Scientific Centre
     Faculty Positions in Statistics at Temple University
     GAMS Software
     More About the Catalog of Algorithms for Approximation
     London ODE Conference

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Phil Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 88 10:37:24 CDT
Subject: The Sixth Texas Symposium on Approximation Theory 

The Sixth Texas Symposium on Approximation Theory will be held at Texas
A & M University, College Station, Texas on January 6-10, 1989.  There 
will be a special session on 'mathematical software for approximation' 
organized by Phil Smith.  Anyone interested in additional information
on the conference should call Charles Chui (409-845-7136) for general 
information.  Those interested in the special session should contact 
Phil Smith at (713-782-6060) or at the address below.  The deadline is
November 15 for participants to communicate their title and abstract.

   Philip Smith
   IMSL, Inc.
   2500 ParkWest Tower One
   2500 CityWest Blvd.
   Houston, Texas 77042-3030

   Internet: [email-masked]
   UUCP:     ...!uunet!imsl!smith

------------------------------

From: Phil Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 88 10:38:29 CDT
Subject: Job opening at IMSL 

IMSL, Inc., a leader in the development and distribution of scientific,
engineering, and statistical software is searching for a senior
mathematical software designer.
 
The successful individual would be expected to direct IMSL's development
of numerical linear algebra software for vector and parallel computers,
such as Cray, IBM 3090 with vector facility, CDC 205, Alliant and Convex.
Candidates should have a PhD in computer sciences or mathematics.

Our projects are challenging and offer excellent growth opportunities.
Salary is competitive and we provide an excellent benefit package.  
For confidential consideration, send a resume and salary history to

   Philip Smith
   IMSL, Inc.
   2500 ParkWest Tower One
   2500 CityWest Blvd.
   Houston, Texas 77042-3030

   Internet: [email-masked]
   UUCP:     ...!uunet!imsl!smith

------------------------------

From: Pat Gaffney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 88 09:02:00 EMT
Subject: Positions at Bergen Scientific Centre

                  BERGEN SCIENTIFIC CENTRE, IBM
                     VISITING POSITIONS FOR
                     APPLIED MATHEMATICIANS

The Bergen Scientific Centre would be interested to hear from senior
applied mathematicians who wish to work at the Centre for periods of
one to two years.

The Centre is engaged in Numerical Reservoir Modelling, Numerical
Seismic Processing, Boundary & Finite Element Computations,
Oceanographic Modelling and Computer Animation.

The research conducted in the Centre involves the application of
analytical and numerical techniques for the development of algorithms
and software for parallel processing applied to the above areas.

Visitors are expected to participate in the existing projects at the
Centre and they are encouraged to publish the results of their research
in both the Centre's and their home institution's technical report series
and in refereed journals.

Because of the nature of the work at the Centre it is possible for visiting
academics from the United States and Israel to apply to the Norwegian
authorities for tax exemption.

For further information please send a detailed resume to Patrick Gaffney,
Bergen Scientific Centre, Allegaten 36, 5007 Bergen, NORWAY.

------------------------------

From: Burt Holland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 88 15:31:49 EDT
Subject: Faculty Positions in Statistics at Temple University

                       FACULTY POSITIONS
                    DEPARTMENT OF STATISTICS
                       TEMPLE UNIVERSITY

We have a number of openings for September 1989.  Applications are
invited for a regular faculty position at the full or senior associate
professor level.  Applicants must have a proven national reputation for
excellent research and a commitment to quality teaching.  Several
visiting positions are also available, and there is a possibility of one
or more additional tenure-track openings.  All applicants should have an
active record of publication in major refereed statistics journals.
Researchers in biometry or categorical data analysis are particularly
encouraged to apply.

The Department has 24 full-time and 10 affiliated faculty, and 50
students in our M.S. and Ph.D. programs.  We have our own UNIX-based
VAX 11/750 computer and Sun Workstations, Statistics Library, and
extensive computing and library facilities available throughout the
University.  AA/EOE.  Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Send a curriculum vitae and three letters of reference to:

                    Professor Burt Holland
                    Search Committee Chair
                    Department of Statistics - 006-00
                    Temple University
                    Philadelphia, PA  19122  USA

------------------------------

From: Henry Wolkowicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 88 09:24:25 EDT
Subject: GAMS Software

I am interested in using the GAMS software in teaching a modeling course.
This course uses linear programming as the basic tool for solving
management science problems, though some nonlinear and mixed-integer
models can be expected. Has anyone else used this package in a 
teaching environment? The packaged can be purchased from Scientific Press.

Henry Wolkowicz; Department of Combinatorics and Optimization;
Faculty of Mathematics; University of Waterloo;
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada  N2L 3G1 (519-888-4597)
[email-masked]; [email-masked]}
[email-masked]; [email-masked]   }

------------------------------

From: Eric Grosse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 88 13:09:48 EDT
Subject: More About the Catalog of Algorithms for Approximation

Thank you all for your comments on the catalog mentioned in the last
na-digest.  A couple people asked about keyword searching;
   mail [email-masked]
   whois de Boor in approximation.
will return the matching BibTeX items.  Because this file is updated
frequently, it is only being maintained at research.att.com, not
anl-mcs.arpa.

As mentioned in the paper version (to appear in proceedings of the
Shrivenham conference), this catalog tries only to cite papers most
closely related to final code, not necessarily the original source;
don't take offense if your favorite paper isn't listed.

------------------------------

From: Roland England <[email-masked]>
Date: 21-OCT-1988 12:07:14 GMT
Subject: London ODE Conference

                               Conference on

               COMPUTATIONAL ORDINARY DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS

Imperial College, London                                 3rd-7th July, 1989

                        CALL FOR PAPERS AND POSTERS

The IMA is organising a  conference on  Computational Ordinary Differential
Equations,  to  be  held  at  Imperial  College,  London,  in  July,  1989.

  The  aim  of this  meeting  is to  bring  together  research  workers and
practitioners  in  theory  and  algorithms   for  the   numerical  solution
of  ordinary  differential  equations .  All  relevant  topics  are  to  be
covered  and  contributions  in  application  areas  will  be  encouraged .

  The invited speakers are

                          # J.C. Butcher (Auckland)
                          # H.B. Keller (Caltech)
                          # R.E. O'Malley Jr. (Rensselaer Polytech. Inst.)
                          # L.R. Petzold (Lawrence Livermore)
                          # R.D. Russell (Vancouver)
                          # J.M. Sanz-Serna (Valladolid)
                          # L.F. Shampine (Dallas)
                          # M.N. Spijker (Leiden)

In  addition ,  the  programme  will  feature   `` highlighted ''   talks ,
contributed  papers   and  posters .   The  highlighted   and   contributed
papers  will  be  of  40 and 20  minutes  presentation  time  respectively.
The  highlighted papers  will be  selected  by the  Organising Committee on
the basis of an extended abstract ( 1000 words ) ,  contributed papers  and
posters on the basis of a  300 word abstract.  Abstracts for all categories
should be  sent to  the  IMA  and  must be received  by  15th January 1989.
Authors  will be notified  of the committee's decision  during  March 1989.

  The members of the Organising Committee are:
Dr. J.R. Cash (Imperial College of Science and Technology, London),
Dr. R. England, AFIMA (The Open University, Milton Keynes),
Prof. I. Gladwell, FIMA (Southern Methodist University, USA) and
Dr. A. Iserles, AFIMA (University of Cambridge).

  There will be a reduced conference fee for  full-time  research students.

  The   proceedings  of  the  conference   will  be  published  by   Oxford
University   Press    in   the    IMA   Conference   Proceedings   Series .

  Abstracts and all other enquiries should be sent to:
Conference  Officer ,  Institute  of  Mathematics  and  its  Applications ,
Maitland  House ,   Warrior  Square ,   Southend-on-Sea ,   Essex   SS1 2JY
or ,   by  electronic  mail ,   to:   [email-masked]

...........................................................................

To:  Conference Officer, The Institute of Mathematics and Its Applications,
Maitland House,  Warrior Square,  Southend-on-Sea,  Essex SS1 2JY,  England

        Conference on COMPUTATIONAL ORDINARY DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS

Final date for abstracts: 15 January 1989.   Notice to authors: March 1989.

TITLE................NAME..................................................

INSTITUTION................................................................

ADDRESS....................................................................

...........................................................................

Please tick where appropriate:
I wish to submit an extended abstract for consideration as a highlighted _
paper                                                                   [_]
  I am willing for my paper to be considered as a contributed paper  Yes/No
                                                     or as a poster  Yes/No
                                                                         _
I wish to submit an abstract for consideration as a contributed paper   [_]
  I am willing for my paper to be considered as a poster             Yes/No
                                                                         _
I wish to submit an abstract for consideration as a poster              [_]
                                                                         _
I wish to attend the conference                                         [_]

------------------------------

End of NA Digest

**************************
-------