Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 88 15:04:00 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, September 4, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 35

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:
 
     Thanks from Caviness
     Relaxation Time of Markov Process
     Block-tridiagonal Toeplitz Matrices
     Change of Address for Zlatev
     New Version of MACHAR Available
     IEEE Computer Special Issue on Visualization
     LAA Special Issue on Linear Programming
     ISCA '89 Workshops

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Bob Caviness <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 88 12:16:25 -0400
Subject: Thanks from Caviness

August 31 will be my last day at NSF as the Program Director for Numeric 
and Symbolic Computation.  Many thanks to all of you who have helped me
during the past year by providing reviews and advice.

Effective September 12, Kamal Abdali will be the new Program Director.

Bob Caviness

------------------------------

From: Zhenqin Li <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Aug 88 04:10:52 GMT
Subject: Relaxation Time of Markov Process

I would appreciate if anybody could inform me of some references
on the analysis of relaxation times of Markov stochastic processes.
The Markov processes I have in mind are of high dimensional state space.
The relaxation time is related to the 2nd largest eigenvalue of the
(nearly diagonal) transition matrix, which is hard to obtain by a
brute-force solution of the (high-degree) characteristic equations.
  
   Zhenqin Li
   Cornell Theory Center
   Cornell University, Ithaca NY

------------------------------

From: Henry Greenside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 15:58:53 EDT
Subject: Block-tridiagonal Toeplitz Matrices

Toeplitz matrices (see Gollub and Van Loan) can be solved in
order N^2 operations. Is there a known generalization to
block tridiagonal matrices, each of which is a Toeplitz
matrix?  That is, is there an order K N^2 algorithm where K is
the number of blocks and N is the size of each block?

This problem arises when solving Poisson equations in toroidal
domains (two periodic directions, one nonperiodic direction).

	Henry Greenside

------------------------------

From: Zahari Zlatev <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 17:08:44 CDT
Subject: Change of Address for Zlatev

   I got a visiting position at the Center for Supercomputing at the
   University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. From August 1988 to
   August 1989 my address will be:

                   Zahari Zlatev
                   Center for Supercomputing Research and Development
                   University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
                   305 Talbot Laboratory
                   104 South Wright Street
                   Urbana 61801-2932, USA

   My address for  e-mail is:  [email-masked]
   Of course, messages sent to  na.zlatev  will also reach me.

------------------------------

From: W. J. Cody <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 13:44:23 CDT
Subject: New Version of MACHAR Available

                      New version of MACHAR available

     The environmental enquiry program MACHAR, originally published 
     in Fortran in Cody and Waite, Software Manual for the Elementary
     Functions, Prentice-Hall, 1980, has been modified to function
     correctly with IEEE arithmetic.  The new Fortran 77 version has
     run succesfully on the following machines:  AD 100, Alliant FX/8,
     BBN Butterfly, CRAY 1 and CRAY X-MP (under the CIVIC compiler),
     CYBER 180/855 (under NOS, single-precision only), DAP-510-8,
     ELXSI 6400, Encore Multimax, IBM 3033, IBM PC, Intel iPSC
     hypercube, Macintosh II, Sequent Balance, Sun 3/60, and VAX
     11/780.  The program is known to malfunction on CRAYs with the
     CFT compiler, and on all CYBER systems except the 180/855 under
     NOS and in single precision.  Full documentation of the Fortran
     77 version is scheduled to appear in the December issue of TOMS
     in the article "MACHAR: A Subroutine to Dynamically Determine
     Machine Parameters"; Fortran source will be available from CALGO.

     The program has also been translated into C and run on an Encore
     Multimax, an IBM PC, a Sequent Balance, a Sun 3/60, a VAX 11/780,
     and (in appropriately revised form) on a Connection Machine.  Both
     Fortran and C source are now available over ARPAnet in the "core"
     directory of netlib.  The Fortran version also replaces the older
     versions in the "elefunt" and "specfun" directories of netlib.

     W. J. Cody*

     Mathematics and Computer Science Division
     Argonne National Laboratory
     Argonne, Illinois 60439-4801

------------------------------

From: Greg Nielson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 15:07:04 MST
Subject: IEEE Computer Special Issue on Visualization

             Call for Papers and Referees
         Special Issue of Computer Magazine on
         Visualization in Scientific Computing

The August 1989 issue of Computer magazine will be devoted to a 
wide range of topics in Visualization in Scientific Computing. 
Manuscripts that are either tutorial, survey, descriptive, case-study,
applications-oriented or pedagogic in nature are immediately sought 
in the following areas:

   *Hardware strategies for scientific visualization; parallel 
    architectures, supercomputing, workstations and networks

   *User interfaces, paradigms and interactive techniques for 
    visualization of 3D (and higher dimensional) models

   *Scientific data analysis, manipulation, representation and display 
    techniques; particularly volume visualization and methods for large  
    multivariate data sets

   *Dissemination of the results of interactive systems and animated 
    images; standards; televisualization and networks

   *Application of visualization techniques to science and engineering 
    problems and data

         INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING MANUSCRIPTS

Manuscripts should be no more than 32 typewritten, double-spaced
pages in length including all figures and references.  No more than 12
references should be cited.  Papers must not have been previously
published or currently submitted for publication elsewhere.
Manuscripts should have a title page that includes the title of the
paper, full name(s) and affiliation(s) of it author(s), complete
physical and electronic adress(es), telephone number(s), a 300-word
abstract, and a list of keywords that identify the central issues
of the manuscript's contents.

                      DEADLINES

  *300-word abstract of the manuscript is due as soon as possible.
  *Eight (8) copies of the full manuscript are due by December 1, 1988.
  *Notification of acceptance is March 1, 1989.
  *Final version of the manuscript is due not later than May 1, 1989.

     SEND SUBMISSIONS AND QUESTIONS TO GUEST EDITOR

          Gregory M. Nielson
          Computer Science Department
          Arizona State University
          Tempe, Arizona 85287-5406
          (602) 965-2785, E-MAIL: [email-masked]

                     REFEREES

If you are willing to review papers, please send a note with your 
technical interests to Greg Nielson or Professor Bruce Shiver,
Editor-in-Chief of Computer, Department of Decision Sciences, University of 
Hawaii, 2404 Maile Way, Honolulu, Hawaii 96822;  E-MAIL: 
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Hans Schneider <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 88 13:50:02 cdt
Subject: LAA Special Issue on Linear Programming

                              LAA ANNOUNCEMENT

                 Special Issue on Interior Point Methods 
                        for Linear Programming

Contributions are invited for a special issue of Linear Algebra and Its
Applications which will be devoted to interior point methods for linear
programming.

Papers in the general area are welcome; however, we encourage work which
contains both a computational and linear algebraic component.  One of our
goals is to identify and focus attention on those areas of interior point
methods where the computational aspects of linear algebra play an important
role.  In accordance with this objective thorough computational experimental
works which demonstrate a significant aspect of a particular algorithmic
formulation or contain enlightening comparative research will also be
considered.

Papers should meet the usual publication standards of LAA and will be
refereed.  The deadline for submission is August, 1989 with expected
publication in the summer or fall of 1990.  Papers may be sent to any 
of the special editors of the issue:

Dr. David Gay
AT&T Bell Labs
600 Mountain View
Murray Hil, New Jersey 07974

Professor Masakazu Kojima
Department of Information Services
Oh-Okayama, Meguro-ku
Tokyo 152, JAPAN

Professor Richard Tapia
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Rice University
P.O. Box 1982
Houston, Texas 77251-1892

------------------------------

From: Gabriel Silberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 16:39:11 EDT
Subject: ISCA '89 Workshops

                      COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE WORKSHOPS:
                             CALL for PROPOSALS

                 The 16th Annual International Symposium on
                            COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE
                                 (ISCA '89)
                           Jerusalem/Eilat, Israel
                              May 1989, ISRAEL

                                sponsored by
                                 ACM SIGARCH

(The Association for Computing Machinery, Special Interest Group on  Computer
Architecture)

Beginning in 1989, the ACM-SIGARCH/IEEE-CS International  Symposium  on  Com-
puter  Architecture  is  pleased  to  offer s.sport for a number of workshops
dealing with important issues in the field of Computer Architecture.  S.sport
consists  of providing a meeting space for the workshop, overhead projectors,
coffee and donuts, publishing the record, and publicity  arrangements.   Some
financial  s.sport for travel may be possible, if proposals are promptly sub-
mitted for consideration.

Each workshop is requested to produce a record of the workshop  events,  dis-
cussions,  and  presentations.   These  will  later be published in a special
issue of the ACM SIGARCH Computer Architecture Newsletter (CAN).

Only a limited number of workshops can be accommodated.   To  assist  in  the
organization  of these workshops, the ISCA Organizing Committee is soliciting
proposals for workshops.  Proposals should include the title of the workshop,
a  brief  description  of  the  focus,  the  organization  and  format of the
workshop, the duration (1, 2, or 3 days), and a proposed  list  of  invitees.
Proposals  should be submitted as soon as possible, and in no case later than
November 11, 1988, to:

                           Professor Trevor Mudge
                               1101 Beal Ave.
                         The University of Michigan
                              EE/CS Department
                          Ann Arbor, MI  48109-2120

                           [email-masked]
                               (313) 764-0203

A selection committee will evaluate all proposals.  Notifications  of  accep-
tance will occur in a timely manner.

The workshops will be held in Eilat, May 24 to 26 (for  1,  2,  or  3  days),
immediately prior to the Symposium (May 28 to June 1).  Local sightseeing and
scuba-diving in Eilat, Israel's resort on the Red Sea coast, and  transporta-
tion  to Jerusalem at the end of the workshops, including touring and a visit
to the Dead Sea, will be available as part of the workshop package.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------