Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 88 15:29:21 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, June 26, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 25

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Cornell Workshop in Matrix-Based Signal Processing
     Argonne Parallel Programming Class
     Almost Incompressible Computational Fluid Dynamics
     Re: Rational Approximation of Floating Point Numbers
 
-------------------------------------------------------

From: Frank Luk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 88 10:23:51 EDT
Subject: Cornell Workshop in Matrix-Based Signal Processing

Mathematical Sciences Institute 
Workshop on
Matrix-Based Signal Processing Algorithms and Architectures
Cornell University, Ithaca 
June 27-29, 1988.

Program

Monday, June 27

9:00  -  9:40  H.T. Kung, Carnegie Mellon University - "Mapping 
Applications onto Parallel Computers Can be Easy"

10:00 - 10:40  J. McWhirter, Royal Signals and Radar Establishment - 
"An Efficient Array for Computing the MVDR"

11:00 - 11:40 C.M. Rader, M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory - "Wafer-Scale 
Systolic Array for Adaptive Antenna Processing"

1:30 -  2:10  J. Proakis, Northeastern University - "Numerical 
Properties and Computational Requirements for Several Adaptive Filtering 
Algorithms"

2:30 -  3:10  M. Kowalski, University of Utah - "On Approximation of 
Band-Limited Signals"

3:30 -  4:10 S. Burrus, Rice University - "Block Signal Processing 
Using Matrix Implementation of Digital Filters"

4:10 -  6:00  RECEPTION

Tuesday, June 28

9:00  -  9:40  G.W. Stewart, University of Maryland - "Implementation of 
Systolic Algorithms on MIMD Machines"

10:00 - 10:40  M. Lam, Carnegie Mellon University - "Programmable
Systolic Arrays"

11:00 - 11:40  J. Rice, Purdue University - "Advanced Parallel Systems"

1:30 -  2:10  D. Tufts, University of Rhode Island - "High Resolution 
Adaptive Signal Processing"

2:30 -  3:10 P. Eberlein, SUNY at Buffalo - "Some Experiences with
Jacobi-type Procedures on Parallel Architectures"

3:30 -  4:10  R. Schreiber, SAXPY Corp. - "Convergence of Block Jacobi 
Methods"

4:10 -  6:00  RECEPTION

Wednesday, June 29

9:00  -  9:40 S. Haykin, McMaster University - "Adaptive Filter Theory"

10:00 - 10:40 M. Kaveh, University of Minnesota - "The Coherent 
Signal-Subspace Method and Time-Domain Realization of its Preprocessors"

11:00 - 11:40  H. Whitehouse, Naval Ocean Systems Center - "Signal 
Processing Computational Needs: An Update"

11:40 -  1:30  RECEPTION

------------------------------

From: David Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 88 11:31:44 PDT
Subject: Argonne Parallel Programming Class

Argonne National Laboratory has set up an Advanced Computing Research
Facility (ACRF) for the study of parallel computing.  Machines currently
in the ACRF are:

           8-processor Alliant FX/8
          16-processor Intel iPSC-VX hypercube
          20-processor Encore Multimax
          24-processor Sequent Balance 21000
          32-processor Intel iPSC hypercube
        1024-processor Active Memory Technology DAP
       16384-processor Thinking Machines CM-2

Projects at Argonne utilizing the ACRF include investigations in parallel
logic programming and parallel linear algebra, the development of portable
parallel programming methodologies, and studying the potential of parallel
processing for large-scale scientific computing.

To encourage the use of the ACRF as an international facility, Argonne
is sponsoring classes to familiarize potential users with the ACRF
multiprocessors and parallel programming in general.  The next class
will be held July 27-29, 1988

Topics to be covered include parallelizing compilers, the Monitor 
and Schedule packages for portable parallel programming, hypercube 
programming, programming the DAP, and programming the Connection Machine.
A portion of the third day will be devoted to consideration of each
attendee's particular project.  Fortran will be emphasized as the
primary programming language. This will be a hands-on class; at its
completion participants will have written and run programs on each
machine, and should be familiar with the ACRF environment.

     Those interested in the classes should contact

     Teri Huml
     Mathematics and Computer Science Division
     Argonne National Laboratory
     Argonne, IL  60439-4844
     (312) 972-7163
     [email-masked]

There will be a $25.00 charge for this class, no financial support for 
attendees is available.

------------------------------

From: Hans Stoor <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Jun 88 13:16:12 GMT
Subject: Almost Incompressible Computational Fluid Dynamics

Is there anyone interested in numerical methods for almost incompressible
fluid flow. I'm studying finite difference methods for Navier-Stokes
equations and very low Mach numbers. Actual problems right now is
conditions for open boundaries (two dimensional), and I'm also looking
for reference solutions to the model problems, straight channel, driven
cavity and backward-facing-step. The Reynolds number is quite moderate.
  -- Hans Stoor, TDB, Uppsala

------------------------------

From: Craig NoLastName <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Jun 88 13:21:37 GMT
Subject: Re: Rational Approximation of Floating Point Numbers

>Does anyone know of numerical algorithms which, when given a number
>x in [0,1), return the rational number (numerator/denominator)
>that approximates x to within machine tolerance?
>
>				Dimpy Pathria.
>

See Jerome Spanier and Keith B. Oldham, "An Atlas of Functions," 
Springer-Verlag, 1987, pp. 665-7.

I have a C program implementing their algorithm.  If anybody wants
a copy, let me know.

    --Craig
      AT&T Bell Laboratories - Naperville, Illinois