Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 88 07:51:42 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, April 24, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 17

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:
 
     Factoring an Inverse Toeplitz Matrix
     Appeal for Spase Matrix Test Problems
     Research Associate Positions at RIACS
     More on the Tromsoe, Norway, Conference
     "Boundary Element Research" for Sale
     Postdoc Position at Cornell

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Julius Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 88 12:08:52 PDT
Subject: Factoring an Inverse Toeplitz Matrix

Greetings,

As I recall, someone from NA land inquired about software
for computing the Cholesky factor of the inverse of a
symmetric Toeplitz matrix.  I have recently written a
Fortran subroutine to do this.  It uses the Levinson recursion
described in Benjamin Friedlander, "Lattice Filters for Adaptive
Processing", Proc. IEEE, vol. 70, pp. 829-867, Aug. 1982.
I will be glad to e-mail my routine to anybody requesting it.
It's short -- less than 200 lines including a test driver.

   -- Julius Smith

------------------------------

From: Iain Duff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 88 02:40:38 cst
Subject: Appeal for Spase Matrix Test Problems

  As many of you know we (i.e. Harwell), together with Boeing, maintain and
distribute a set of sparse matrix test problems.  It now transpires that
I need more problems in two areas in which the present set is somewhat
deficient.  I would appreciate problems (preferably in the Harwell-Boeing
format ... sent on request) in two areas.
1.  Sparse least-squares problems ... together with right-hand side(s).
    These should be large but not necessarily huge (i.e. thousands or
    tens of thousands of rows rather than millions).
2.  Unassembled problems from finite element applications.  Preferably but
    not necessarily with real values.
  I intend to use these problems to test current algorithms and approaches
currently being undertaken at Harwell and will assuredly give adequate 
reference to the source of any problem used.   Any really interesting
cases may (with the consent of the originator) be incorporated in a future
release of the main Harwell-Boeing test set.
  
Iain Duff

------------------------------

From: Rich Sincovec <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 88 10:49:08 MDT
Subject: Research Associate Positions at RIACS

Several research associate positions are available at RIACS (Research
Institute for Advanced Computer Science).  These positions involve
collaboration with senior scientists in exploring and implementing
algorithms for highly parallel architectures (including 16,000 processor
CM-2).  Excellent salary and benefits.  Masters in Computer Science or
Applied Math desirable.  Send resume to Center for Advanced Architectures,
Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science, Mail Stop 230-5,
Moffett Field, CA 94035.  Equal Opportunity Employer.  Must be U.S.
citizen or permanent resident.

------------------------------

From: Pat Gaffney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 88 10:23:09 EMT
Subject: More on the Tromsoe, Norway, Conference

DEADLINE FOR TROMSOE CONFERENCE REGISTRATION

The registration fee for the Tromsoe conference is NOK 2200 before April 29.
AFTER APRIL 29 the registration fee is NOK 3500.

For those of you who do not feel that the conference provides enough social
events we have obtained the following offer:

On Saturday evening June 4 at midnight there will be an excursion to Svalbard
(a group of islands north of Norway)

The excursion leaves by plane at Midnight from Tromsoe, there is a guided tour
by plane, landing on longyearbyen for a light meal, then return to Tromsoe
at 6am on Sunday morning.

The cost is NOK 1800 per person.

For those of you who feel like starting the week well, the excursion can also
be arranged starting on Sunday night and returning Monday morning, 2 hours
before the conference starts|

If you are interested in either of these then please contact me directly
telling which day you are interested in. Because of the size of the plane
the excursion is limited to 100 people. Therefore, first come first served|

  Pat Gaffney
  NA.GAFFNEY AT NA-NET.STANFORD.EDU

------------------------------

From: Spiros Tsaltas <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Apr 88 07:47:40 GMT
Subject: "Boundary Element Research" for Sale

   For sale :

   BOUNDARY ELEMENT RESEARCH (edited ) by C.A.Brebbia
   ISNB 0-931215-02-1 CML Publications 1985.
   Original price: 23 British Pounds, very slightly used.
   Price: make me an offer at [email-masked]
                           or [email-masked]

   Thanks for your attention,
   Spiros.
   Dept. of Math., Univ. of Arizona

------------------------------

From: Tom Coleman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 88 10:31:32 EDT
Subject: Postdoc Position at Cornell

The Cornell Computational Optimization Project (Bland, Coleman,
Todd, Trotter, Van Loan) has money to support a postdoc for the next
1-2 years. Start date is somewhat flexible and the main requirement
is a serious interest in computational optimization. The only
duty is: Research !

Besides the listed faculty, we have a number of students and another
optimization postdoc (Yuying Li from Waterloo, supported by the Mathematical
Sciences Institute) interested in computational optimization. Equipment:
there is a (10) Sun-lab devoted to CCOP activities and a new 32-node Intel/2
hypercube. Also accessible are various high performance computers
housed by the Theory Center.

Please spread the word to graduating students etc. and ask them to 
contact me if interested. Thanks.
            Tom Coleman

   [email-masked]
      or
   607-255-9203
      or 
   Tom Coleman, Computer Science Department, Upson Hall,Cornell University,
             Ithaca NY 14853.

------------------------------
End of NA Digest
**************************
-------