Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 88 08:47:21 PST

NA Digest   Saturday, February 27, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 9

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:
 
     Happy Birthday, Gene
     Workshop at Berkeley's MSRI
     Short Term ARO Contracts 
     Ardent Computer Announces New Machine

------------------------

From: All of Us on the NA-Net <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, February 29, 1988.
Subject: Happy Birthday, Gene

Gene is one of that elite (one in 1461) who remain young more easily than
the rest of us - measuring age by the number of birthdays passed. On Monday
Gene Golub will celebrate a real birthday. We wish him many happy returns
of that occasion.
      Oscar Buneman and all of NA-Net.

------------------------

From: Paul Concus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 88 09:16:00 PST
Subject: Workshop at Berkeley's MSRI

                                Workshop on
        Differential Geometry, Calculus of Variations, and Computer Graphics

                              May 23-25, 1988

                                   at the

                  Mathematical Sciences Research Institute
                            Berkeley, California

             The Mathematical Sciences Research Institute will  host
        a  three-day  workshop on differential geometry, calculus of
        variations, and computer graphics, to  be  held  May  23-25,
        1988.   The  organizing  committee  consists  of Paul Concus
        (chairman), Robert Finn, David Hoffman, and Alvy Ray  Smith.
        The  workshop  is intended to bring together mathematicians,
        computer scientists, and physical  scientists  to  encourage
        the   interaction  of  mathematics  and  computer  graphics.
        Emphasis will be on (i)  mathematical  areas,  such  as  the
        classical  theory of equilibrium surfaces of prescribed mean
        curvature, in which computer graphics visualization of  sur-
        faces can play an important role and on (ii) computer graph-
        ics areas in which there arise geometric  problems  of  sub-
        stantial mathematical interest.

             The  mathematical  sciences  community   is   cordially
        invited  to attend.  There are no fees or application forms.
        Additional, more detailed information will be sent  to  per-
        sons  indicating  a desire to come to the workshop.  Limited
        funding is available to provide partial  support  for  those
        wishing   to   participate.   New  and  recent  Ph.D.'s  are
        encouraged to apply.  Requests for financial support  should
        be  received  by March 15, 1988 and should be accompanied by
        some information  (such  as  a  vita  and/or  bibliography).
        Shortly  after March 15 there will be a mailing for prospec-
        tive participants, which will include hotel information  and
        whatever  program  information  is  available  at that time.
        Address inquiries to: DGCVCG Workshop Committee,  Mathemati-
        cal  Sciences  Research  Institute,  1000  Centennial Drive,
        Berkeley, CA 94720. Funding for the workshop is provided  by
        the  National  Science  Foundation  through MSRI, with addi-
        tional support provided by the Department of Energy  through
        Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory.

------------------------

From: Arthur Wouk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 88 13:21:12 EST
Organization: Army Research Office,919-549-0641
To: [email-masked]
Subject:  Short Term ARO Contracts 

The Army Research Office will be offering a small  number  of  of
summer  contracts  in  the amount of $20,000 this year. These are
called SHORT TERM INNOVATIVE RESEARCH contracts and an  announce-
ment should appear in the Commerce Business Daily in the next few
weeks.

Mathematical Topics of interest this year are:

1: Nonlinear Methods for Modeling and Analysis of  Phase  Transi-
   tions and Defect Structure formation

2. Statistical Models and Analysis for Spatial Processes

3. Algorithmic Approaches Based on Methods of Algebraic and  Dif-
   ferential Geometry for Data Fitting, Solid Modeling and Motion
   Planning

4. Novel Approaches to Robust and Adaptive Control

5. Analytical/Computational Approaches to Continuum  Modeling  of
   Composites and Other Novel Materials

6. Efficient  Procedures  for  Semi-Parametric  Statistical  Pro-
   cedures and Resampling Plans

7. Mathematical Development of New Constructs in Symbolic  Compu-
   tation Based on Methods of Nonlinear Algebra

8. Novel Approaches to  Control  of  Discrete  Event  and  Hybrid
   Dynamical Systems

For detailed information as to how to apply either read  Commerce
Business  Daily  or call 919-549-0641 Ext. 321 or 257, and ask to
speak to the Secretary of the Mathematical Sciences Division.

------------------------

From: Cleve Moler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Feb 27 08:30:13 PST 1988
Subject: Ardent Computer Announces New Machine

Ardent Computer (we changed our name from Dana Computer) will be
officially announcing its new machine at a press conference in
San Francisco on Tuesay.  We call it the Titan and classify it
as a "Graphics Supercomputer".  It combines the computational
power of a small supercomputer with the high speed, interactive
graphics of a large workstation.  Our 100-by-100 LINPACK Benchmark
performance is 6.4 Megaflops on one processor.  The list prices
begin at $79,000.

I won't abuse my NA-Net privileges any further.  If you would
like more details, please let me know.   If you give me an
old-fashioned mailing address, I'll have some material sent to you.

     --Cleve Moler
       [email-masked]
       Ardent Computer
       880 West Maude
       Sunnyvale, CA 94086
       408-732-0400