Subject: NA Digest V88 #1

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri 1 Jan 88 12:16:21 PST

NA Digest   Friday, January  1, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 1

This weeks Editor: Gene Golub

Today's Topics:

        NEW PROGRAM: SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING & COMPUTATIONAL MATH

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:      28 DEC 1987 11:41:05 EST
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>

-

-                       West Virginia University
                       Eberly Family Distinguished
                             Professorship
                         in Applied Mathematics

-          The  Department  of  Mathematics   invites  applications  and
      nominations for  the Eberly Family Distinguished  Professorship in
      Applied Mathematics.

           The holder of the Eberly  Professorship will provide academic
      leadership in  the department's applied mathematics  program.  The
      successful    candidate    must   have    outstanding    scholarly
      accomplishments  in  applied  mathematics,   a  record  of  funded
      research and a commitment to excellence in teaching.

           The department has made several  junior level appointments in
      applied mathematics  in recent years.   Our research areas  are in
      applied  analysis,   approximation theory,   continuum  mechanics,
      discrete mathematics,  multi-phase flow,  numerical analysis,  and
      perturbation methods.

           WVU  is located  in Morgantown.   It  takes approximately  80
      minutes to drive north to Pittsburgh and three and a half hours to
      drive east to Washington DC.  The Morgantown area has a population
      of around  50,000 and the  University has around  19,000 students.
      The surrounding countryside  is beautiful and offers  a great deal
      all  year  round.   There  are   many  hiking  routes  and  skiing
      opportunities within 20 minutes of  town.   The area is relatively
      inexpensive and  the selection of  houses available is  varied.  A
      typical three bedroom house costs in the region of $80,000. Annual
      property taxes on such a house would be about $300.  There are few
      traffic problems in town.

           Applications, nominations, or requests for information should
      be directed to:

                 Dr Alphonse Baartmans
                 Department of Mathematics
                 West Virginia University
                 Morgantown, WV 26506

      Enquiries by electronic mail can be sent to:

                 [email-masked]
                 [email-masked]

           The deadline for applications and  nominations is January 15,
      1988.  The position will be available August 16, 1988.  Candidates
      should submit  a letter  of application,  a  current vita  and the
      names and  addresses of  five references.   WVU is  an Affirmative
      Action/Equal Opportunity employer.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Dec 87 10:54:56 PST
From: [email-masked] (Gene Golub)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: NEW PROGRAM: SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING & COMPUTATIONAL MATH

			  NEW PROGRAM at STANFORD

                 	    SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING 
				     and 	
			  COMPUTATIONAL MATHEMATICS 

A graduate program for highly qualified students in those areas of
applied mathematics, numerical analysis, and computer science that
concern the analysis and simulation of physical systems. PhD and MS
programs are offered.

This program focuses upon the structures of problem formulation,
algorithm formulation, computing environments and their relationships.
Programs of study are based upon a core curriculum of courses in
applied mathematics, numerical analysis and computer science and a
unified depth sequence in an area of physical science or engineering.

CORE FACULTY
G. Golub, Computer Science
J. Keller, Mathematics and Mechanical Engineering
J. Oliger, Computer Science

ASSOCIATE FACULTY
J. Ferziger, Mechanical Engineering
G. Homsy, Chemical Engineering 
T. Hughes, Applied Mechanics
T. Kailath, Electrical Engineering

ADMISSION
	Apply to
		Office of Graduate Admissions
		Stanford University
		Stanford, CA 94305

Applications for Autumn 1988 must be received by February 1, 1988.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Contact
	Joseph B. Keller	Joseph Oliger
	Mathematics		Computer Science
	Stanford University     Stanford University
	Stanford, CA 94305	Stanford, CA 94305
	415/723-0851		415/723-0751
				[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------