Subject: NA Digest V87 #84

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri 18 Dec 87 23:34:12 PST

NA Digest   Friday, December 18, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 84

This weeks Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

                    NATO Advanced Study Institute
                 Job Opportunity at Thinking Machines
              Applied Math Position at West Virginia U.
                      Positions at Arizona State
                                "Hols"
                   Domain Decomposition Conference
                          Season's Greetings

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 87 16:44:20 EST
From: Gene Golub <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: NATO Advanced Study Institute

		   NATO ADVANCED STUDY INSTITUTE
    
    Numerical Linear Algebra, Digital Signal Processing and
			Parallel Processing

		August 1 -12     Leuven , Belgium

The Advanced Study Institute (ASI) is intended to gather experts from 
	*numerical linear algebra
	*digital signal processing
	*parallel algorithms
and focus on the interconnections between these fields in order to
spark new trends and ideas in an area of growing interaction.
Tutorials in each of the major areas as well as "state of the art"
lectures will be given. 

The ASI will be held over a two week period to allow ample time for
lectures, discussions and interactions. All attendees are expected to
stay during the entire period.

Modest but convenient housing will be arranged at the Groot Begijnhof 
( a restored 17th century beguinage with modern conveniences) and at
the student housing park. There are sports facilities, nice walks in
the park and proximity to the city of Leuven. The climate is
temperate.

LECTURERS include:
Bellanger, Bitmead, Bjorck, Brent, Dongarra, Genin, Golub, Hammarling,
Ipsen, Kailath, Luk, McWhirter, Sorensen, Vandewalle, Van Dooren.

APPLICATIONS
To make application to attend, contact one of the following:

Danny Sorensen 			Paul Van Dooren
Argonne Nat'l Laboratory	Philips Research Laboratory
Math and Computer Science       Av Van Becelaere, 2, Box 8
Argonne, IL 60439 USA     	B-1170 Brussels, Belgium
phone: 312/972-8711		phone: 02/6742258
e-mail:[email-masked]	e-mail:[email-masked]

APPLICATIONS ARE DUE FEB 1, 1988. Applicants from NATO and non-NATO
countries are invited but the number of attendees is strictly limited.
Notification of acceptance will be by April 15. Some limited funding
for participants is available.

Organizing Committee:
Paul Van Dooren (Director)
Gene Golub (Co-Director)
Jack Dongarra
Danny Sorensen
Sven Hammarling
Joos Vandewalle

------------------------------

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Job Opportunity at Thinking Machines
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 87 15:26:11 EST
From: Jill Mesirov <[email-masked]>

		    THINKING MACHINES CORPORATION

		       Research and Development
      in Parallel Computational Methods and Scientific Software

Thinking Machines Corporation designed and manufactures the Connection
Machine, the first commercially available data parallel computer with
a performance of several Gflops for a variety of applications and a
capacity in excess of 10 Gflops for kernel functions.  The
Computational and Mathematical Sciences group has immediate openings
for well qualified individuals with backgrounds in computer science,
applied mathematics, numerical analysis, optimization, computational
physics, fluid mechanics and solid mechanics.  Positions are available
for systems programmers, application programmers, and scientists.
Immediate research and development tasks range from architecture,
language, and compiler related issues of particular importance for the
computational sciences to numerical methods, scientific subroutine
libraries, and application codes.  Longer term research is directed
towards representations, modeling, algorithm design, and new methods
for computationally intensive problems in science and engineering.

The innovative architecture of the Connection Machine and its
supercomputer performance stimulates frequent interactions with
customers and leading scientists.  Thinking Machines Corporation is
committed to being a leading force in computing and maintaining a
highly qualified staff of designers, programmers, and scientists.

Thinking Machines Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.

Interested applicants should send a resume in confidence to, or call:

	Dr. Lennart Johnsson or Dr. Jill P. Mesirov
	Thinking Machines Corporation
	245 First St.
	Cambridge, MA  02142-1214
	Phone: (617) 876-1111

	Arpanet: [email-masked] or [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:      15 DEC 1987 08:28:39 EST
From: West Virginia University <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Applied Math Position at West Virginia U.

-

-                       West Virginia University
                       Eberly Family Distinguished
                             Professorship
                         in Applied Mathematics

-          The  Department  of  Mathematics   invites  applications  and
      nominations for  the Eberly Family Distinguished  Professorship in
      Applied Mathematics.

           The holder of the Eberly  Professorship will provide academic
      leadership in  the department's applied mathematics  program.  The
      successful    candidate    must   have    outstanding    scholarly
      accomplishments  in  applied  mathematics,   a  record  of  funded
      research and a commitment to excellence in teaching.

           The department has made several  junior level appointments in
      applied mathematics  in recent years.   Our research areas  are in
      applied  analysis,   approximation theory,   continuum  mechanics,
      discrete mathematics,  multi-phase flow,  numerical analysis,  and
      perturbation methods.

           WVU  is located  in Morgantown.   It  takes approximately  80
      minutes to drive north to Pittsburgh and three and a half hours to
      drive west to Washington DC.  The Morgantown area has a population
      of around  50,000 and the  University has around  19,000 students.
      The surrounding countryside  is beautiful and offers  a great deal
      all  year  round.   There  are   many  hiking  routes  and  skiing
      opportunities within 20 minutes of  town.   The area is relatively
      inexpensive and  the selection of  houses available is  varied.  A
      typical three bedroom house costs in the region of $80,000. Annual
      property taxes on such a house would be about $300.  There are few
      traffic problems in town.

           Applications, nominations, or requests for information should
      be directed to:

                 Dr Alphonse Baartmans
                 Department of Mathematics
                 West Virginia University
                 Morgantown, WV 26506

      Enquiries by electronic mail can be sent to:

                 [email-masked]
                 [email-masked]

           The deadline for applications and  nominations is January 15,
      1988.  The position will be available August 16, 1988.  Candidates
      should submit  a letter  of application,  a  current vita  and the
      names and  addresses of  five references.   WVU is  an Affirmative
      Action/Equal Opportunity employer.

------------------------------

Date: 16 December 87 11:47-MST
To: [email-masked]
From:  H.D.Mittelmann <[email-masked]>  <na.mittelmann>
Subject: Positions at Arizona State

                     THE MATHEMATICS DEPARTMENT AT

              A R I Z O N A   S T A T E   U N I V E R S I T Y

has openings at all ranks for the coming year in several applied areas
including COMPUTATIONAL MATHEMATICS and APPLIED DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS.
An advertisement appeared in the November SIAM News and in other places.

This message is sent to stress again that the department also antici-
pates to fill several VISITING POSITIONS. Vita and letters of recommen-
dation for these positions may be sent to faculty members in the respec-
tive areas or to the chair.

                                    Hans D. Mittelmann (Comp. Math.)
                                    ASU,  Tempe, AZ 85287-1804, U.S.A.

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 16 Dec 87 18:28:18 EST
From: Nancy Nichols <[email-masked]>
Subject: "Hols"
To: [email-masked]

Just to wish all my friends and colleagues a very happy holiday
season and a very merry new year.  Also to remind you all that I
will be back in england for 6 months from jan. 5.  Keep in touch
address:  smsnicho at cms.am.rdg.ac.uk

Dept. of Mathematics, University of Reading, Box 220, Reading  RG6 2AX  UK

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Dec 87 16:52:25 PST
From: Babette Dalton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Domain Decomposition Conference

        Second International Symposium on Domain Decomposition Methods
                              January 14-16, 1988
                    University of California, Los Angeles
                 Preliminary Program, as of December 15, 1987
             (speakers of multi-authored papers are listed first)

For further information, please contact Elaine Barth at: Mathematics Dept., 
University of California, Los Angeles, CA  90024-1555. Phone: (213) 825-1148

Thursday, January 14
8:00 - 8:15 a.m.: Registration -- Campus Location: Louis Factor Building
8:15 - 8:30 a.m.: Opening Remarks

8:30 - 9:00 a.m.: Petter Bjorstad, University Bergen, Norway.  ``Substructure 
Algorithms and Grid Refinement Algorithms for 4th Order Elliptic Problems"
9:00 - 9:30 a.m.: Tony Chan, UCLA.  ``Operator-Adaptive Domain Decomposition 
Preconditioners for 4th Order Problems"
9:30 - 10:00 a.m.: Joseph E. Pasciak, Brookhaven Nat'l Lab., J. Bramble, 
A. Schatz, Cornell U.  ``Two Domain Decomposition Methods for Stokes Equations"

10:00 - 10:20 a.m. --  Break

10:20 - 10:50 a.m.: Gerald Hedstrom, F.A. Howes, Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab. 
``A Domain Decomposition Method for a Convection Diffusion Equation with 
Turning Points" 
10:50 - 11:20 a.m.: Garry Rodrigue, Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab.  ``A Domain 
Decomposition Technique for Boundary Problem"

11:20 - 11:30 a.m. --  Break

11:30 - 11:50 a.m.: Milo R. Dorr, Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab.  ``Domain 
Decomposition via Lagrange Multipliers"
11:50 a.m. - 12:10 p.m.: D.J. Evans, U. of Technology, Loughborough, 
Leicestershire, U.K.  ``Some New Domain Decomposition Strategies for Elliptic 
Partial Differential Equations"

12:10 - 2:00 p.m. -- Lunch

2:00 - 2:30 p.m.: V. Agoshkov, USSR Academy of Science.  ``The Domain 
Decomposition Methods in the Boundary Value Problems of Oceanology"
2:30 - 3:00 p.m.: Torsten Berglind, A. Rizzi, FFA, Bromma, Sweden.  ``Multi-
Block Euler Method Using Patched Grids"
3:00 - 3:30 p.m.: Akin Ecer, J.T. Spyropoulos, Purdue U., Indianapolis IN 
``Block-Stuctured Solution of Euler and Navier-Stokes Equations" 

3:30 - 4:00 -- Break

4:00 - 4:30 p.m.: D.E. Keyes, Yale U.  ``Domain Decomposition for Nonsymmetric 
Systems of Equations: Examples from Computational Fluid Dynamics"
4:30 - 5:00 p.m.: Gerard Meurant, Centre d'Etudes de Limeil, France.  ``Domain 
Decomposition Methods for Unsymmetric Problems"
5:00 - 5:30 p.m.:  W. Proskurowski, USC .  ``Remarks on Spectral Equivalency of 
Certain Discrete Operators" 

Friday, January 15: 
8:30 - 9:00 a.m.: M. Dryja, U. of Warsaw, Poland; O. Widlund, NYU.  ``An 
Additive Schwarz Method for Elliptic Problems on Regions Divided into Many 
Subregions"
9:00 - 9:30 a.m.: P.L. Lions, U. de Paris-Dauphine.  ``On the Schwarz 
Alternating Method and Variants"
9:30 - 10:00 a.m.: Wei-Pei Tang, U. of Waterloo, Canada.  ``Template Operators 
and Communication Free Domain Decomposition"

10:00 - 10:20 -- Break

10:20 - 10:50 a.m.: Chris Anderson, UCLA.  ``Domain Decomposition Techniques 
and the Solution of Laplace's Equation in Infinite Domains"
10:50 - 11:20 a.m.: A. Matsokin, Siberian Branch of the USSR Academy of 
Sciences.  ``The Methods of Fictitious Components and of Domain Decomposition"

11:20 - 11:30 a.m. -- Break

11:30 - 11:50 a.m.: Zhiqiang Cai, S. McCormick, U. of Colorado.  
``Computational Complexity of the Schwarz Alternating Procedure"  
11:50 a.m. - 12:20 p.m.:  H.C. Ku, R.S. Hirsh, T.D. Taylor, A.P. Rosenberg, 
The Johns Hopkins U., MD.  ``A Domain Decomposition Approach for the 
Computation of Incompressible Flow by the Pseudospectral Matrix Element Method" 

12:20 - 2:00 p.m. -- Lunch

2:00 - 2:30 p.m.: Michelle Macaraeg, Y. Hussaini, NASA Langley.  ``A Spectral 
Multi-Domain Technique for High Speed Chemically Reacting Flows".
2:30 - 3:00 p.m.: Anthony T. Patera, P. Fischer, E. M. Ronquist, MIT, Cambridge
``Fast Spectral Element Solvers"   
3:00 - 3:30 p.m.: Alfio Quarteroni, U. Cattolica, Istituto di Analisi Numerica, 
Italy.  ``Domain Decomposition Preconditioners for Spectral and Finite Element 
Approximations to Elliptic and Stokes Equations"

3:30 - 3:45 p.m. -- Break

3:45 - 4:15 p.m.: T. Hughes, Stanford U.  Title not Available.
4:15 - 4:45 p.m.: Tayfun Tezduyar, J. Liou, T. Nguyen, S. Poole, U. of 
Minnesota.  ``Adaptive Implicit-Explicit and Parallel Element-by-Element 
Factorization Schemes"

4:45 - 5:00 p.m. -- Break

5:00 - 5:20 p.m.:  F.-X. Roux, P. Destuynder, Office Nat'l D'\'Etudes et de 
Recherches A\'erospatiales, France.  ``A Parallel Algorithm for Solving the 
Linear Eleasticity Equations for a Composite Beam Based on a Primal Hybrid 
Finite Element Method"
5:20 - 5:40 p.m.:  F. Coulomb, Centre d'Etudes Nucleaires de Saclay \& 
Universit\'e Pierre et Marie CURIE.  ``Domain Decomposition and Mixed Finite 
Elements for the Diffusion Equation"

7:00 p.m. -- Banquet

Saturday, January 16
8:30 - 9:00 a.m.: Richard E. Ewing, U. of Wyoming-Laramie.  ``Domain 
Decomposition Techniques for Efficient Adaptive Local Grid Refinement"
9:00 - 9:30 a.m.: Steve McCormick, U. of Colorado, Denver.  ``Asynchronous 
Fast Adaptive Composite Grid Methods (AFAC) for Solving Partial Differential 
Equations on Parallel Computers"
9:30 - 10:00 a.m.: Olof Widlund, Courant Institute, N.Y.; M. Dryja, U. of 
Warsaw, Poland.  ``Iterative Refinement Methods"

10:00 - 10:20 a.m. -- Break

10:20 - 10:50 a.m.}: Harry Yserentant, U. Dortmund, W. Germany.  ``The 
Hierarchical Basis Multigrid Method"
10:50 - 11:20 a.m.: P. Le Tallec, J.F. Bourgat, R. Glowinski, M. Vidrascu 
L.C.P.C., Paris.  ``Variational Formulation and Conjugate Gradient Algorithm 
for Trace Operator in Domain Decomposition Calculations"

11:20 - 11:30 a.m. -- Break

11:30 - 11:50 a.m.: Jan Mandel, U. of Colorado, Denver.  ``Theoretical Aspects 
of AFAC-MG (Fast Adaptive Composite Multigrid)"
11:50 a.m. - 12:10 p.m.: Tsi-Min Shih, Tao Lu, Chin-bo Liem, Hong Kong 
Polytechnic.  ``Parallel Algorithms for Solving Partial Differential Equations"

12:10 - 2:00 p.m. -- Lunch

2:00 - 2:30 p.m.: J. Periaux, AMB/DA, France.  ``The Coupling of Compressible 
Navier-Stokes Equations and Time Dependent Full Potential Equation for 
Compressible Inviscid Fluid Through Domain Decomposition"
2:30 - 3:00 p.m.: Mary F. Wheeler, Rice U.  ``Domain Decomposition for 
Transient Flow Problems" 

3:00 - 3:15 p.m. -- Break

3:15 - 3:45 p.m.: W.D. Gropp, Yale U.  ``Domain Decomposition on Parallel 
Computers"
3:45 - 4:15 p.m.: Li-shan Kang, Wuhan U., China.  ``Domain Decomposition and 
Parallel Algorithms"

4:15 - 4:30 p.m. -- Break

4:30 - 4:50 p.m.: Luigi Brochard, IBM Scientific Center, Palo Alto \& Ecole 
Nat'l des Ponts et Chaussees, France.  ``Efficiency of Multicolor Domain 
Decomposition Techniques on Distributed Systems"
4:50 - 5:10 p.m.:  Jocelyne Erhel, IRISA, U. de Beaulieu, France.  
``Parallelization of Finite Element Methods by Domain Decomposition"
5:10 - 5:30 p.m.:  M. Haghoo, W. Proskurowski, USC.  ``Parallel Efficiency of 
a Domain Decomposition Method" 

------------------------------

Date: Fri 18 Dec 87 23:04:45-PST
Subject: Season's Greetings
From: Cleve Moler <[email-masked]>

Seasons's Greetings from your NA-Net crew!
   -- Gene, Cleve and Mark

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------