Subject: NA Digest V87 #82

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed 9 Dec 87 06:28:39 PST

NA Digest   Wednesday, December  9, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 82

This weeks Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

                  Optimization Position at Waterloo
                        FFT's in Finite Fields
                   Position at North Carolina State

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Nov 87 12:44:53 EST
From: Andrew Roger Conn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Optimization Position at Waterloo

COMBINATORICS & OPTIMIZATION
UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO

Position in Continuous or Discrete Optimization

Details of Position

The Department of Combinatorics and Optimization invites applications
for a faculty position, starting July 1, 1988, at the Assistant Professor
level in the area of Continuous or Discrete Optimization. 
A PhD degree is required and the candidate should have proven ability,
or the potential, for excellent research and effective teaching.
It is desirable that the candidate have interest in the application of
optimization techniques to problems in business, industry and commerce.

The appointment is expected to enhance the Department's ability to
support research and education in the area of Operations Research.
Responsibilities will include the supervision of graduate students,
as well as teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels.

It is the intention of the University of Waterloo to fill its regular
academic vacancies with recent PhD graduates appointed as Assistant Professors.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement
is directed to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

About the University

The University of Waterloo is situated on an attractive 1000-acre campus in
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, some 120 km west of Toronto.
The present enrollment is approximately 16,000 full-time students,
including more than 1,350 at the graduate level.
Of these, about 3,150 undergraduates and 220 graduates are enrolled in
the Faculty of Mathematics, which comprises the Department of Applied
Mathematics, Combinatorics and Optimization, Computer Science, Pure
Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science, and the Division of 
Mathematics for Industry and Commerce.
Faculty members in the Department of Combinatorics and Optimization
are actively engaged in research in many of the major areas of
combinatorics and optimization.
Among those with interests in discrete and continuous optimization
are F. Barahona (operations research and combinatorial
optimization), G. Berman (sparse non-linear systems), M.J. Best (continuous
optimization, quadratic programming), C.J. Colbourn (network reliability
and graph algorithms), A.R. Conn (optimization),
J. Edmonds (combinatorial optimization and matroid theory), C.E. Haff
(discrete optimization), U.S.R. Murty (graph theory and matroid theory),
W.R. Pulleyblank (combinatorial optimization), B.A. Reed (perfect graphs,
graph algorithms), H. Wolkowicz (optimization), and D.H. Younger (directed
graphs, minimax theorems,algorithms).
In addition, there are several faculty members active in operations
research belonging to the Department of Management Sciences in the
Faculty of Engineering.

How to apply

Interested individuals should send resumes and the names of three
references to
Professor P.J. Schellenberg, Chairman
Department of Combinatorics and Optimization
Faculty of Mathematics
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2L 3G1

------------------------------

Date: 4 Dec 87 18:24:06 GMT
From: Robert D. Silverman <[email-masked]>
Subject: FFT's in Finite Fields
To: [email-masked]

I am seeking source code for a routine which will perform a Fast Fourier
Transform over GF(p). I already have a radix-2 routine in hand. What I
am seeking is a routine that will handle transform lengths that are
also divisible by 3, 5, and 7.

Yes, the algorithm is well known, but I don't want to reinvent the
wheel.

Bob Silverman

------------------------------

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Position at North Carolina State
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 87 14:27:18 EST
From: Carl Meyer <[email-masked]>

The CENTER FOR RESEARCH IN SCIENTIFIC COMPUTATION at North Carolina State
University invites applications for a tenure track position in the area of
scientific computing. The successful candidate will have a mutually agreeable
joint appointment in the department of mathematics and the computer science
department. All areas of scientific computing will be considered. We
especially solicit applications from individuals capable of research in
parallel computing and numerical linear algebra. Applicants will be expected
to receive a PhD in applied mathematics or computer science before fall 1988.
They should have a strong interest in both research and teaching. Salary is
competitive and commensurate with qualifications. Resumes including research
interests along with names of at least three references should be sent to:
               Professor Carl D. Meyer
               Center for Research in Scientific Computation
               Box 8205
               North Carolina State University
               Raleigh, NC  27695-8205

Immigaration status of non-US citizens must be stated in the application.
NCSU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------