Subject: NA Digest V87 #80

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon 23 Nov 87 21:38:17 PST

NA Digest   Monday, November 23, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 80

This weeks Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

                         Request for CERNLIB
                               IMG-NET
                     Position at New South Wales
                Applied Math at University of Colorado
                      SIAM Linear Algebra Prize
                   Positions at Courant and Argonne

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 17 Nov 87 21:52:19 GMT
From: David Rabson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Request for CERNLIB
To: [email-masked]

Does anyone out there have both CERNLIB and FTP?  CERNLIB is a public-domain
numerical package put out by the European Center for Nuclear Research (the big
accelerator on the French-Swiss border) and an extremely low-cost (i.e., free)
alternative to IMSL.

				Thanks,
				David Rabson

				Laboratory of Atomic and Solid State Physics

				[email-masked]
				[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 87 01:13:48 IST
To: [email-masked]
From: Danny Hershkowitz <[email-masked]>
Subject: IMG-NET

              INTERNATIONAL  MATRIX  GROUP   ( IMG )
        
            The International Linear Algebra Community 

           E-mail Address:  MAR23AA @ TECHNION  (bitnet)

9 November 1987

IMG-NET Message No. 1

   We are pleased to announce the establishment of IMG/TILAC -
International Matrix Group / The International Linear Algebra
Community. IMG was constituted during the  Combinatorial Matrix
Analysis Conference in Victoria, May 1987. The general goal of IMG is
to encourage activities in linear algebra.

   We aim to encourage and support existing  groups and individuals
active in organizing meetings and publications in all aspects of
linear algebra. We have no intention of supplanting or competing with
existing organizations, our entire purpose is international co-
ordination, to assist the developement of linear algebra. We may add
new activities where and when desirable. We welcome activities in all
applications of linear algebra and we desire a proper share for
theoretical matrix analysis and abstract linear algebra.

   We plan the following:

1. IMG will initiate, encourage and co-ordinate linear algebra
meetings, and support them by the means available, such as
information delivery. In the long run we hope to get some financial
support from various agencies.

2. IMG will edit and distribute a bulletin (named IMAGE), which will
serve as a stage for discussions and opinions. It will contain essays
related to linear algebra activities, as well as some information
about various activities including publicity about future meetings,
about new papers accepted by the linear algebra journals, about
recently written theses, and about individuals (new positions,
sabbaticals, leaves etc.). It may contain letters to the editor or
signed columns of opinion.

3. IMG will also operate IMG-NET, an electronic news service. We will
transmit announcements of IMG activities and circulate other notices
of interest to linear algebraists.

   Membership in IMG will be open to all mathematicians interested in
furthering its aims and participating in its activities. Initially
there will be no cost to individuals, and we hope that costs will
always be low.

   The group now has the following structure:

Officers:

     Chairman                            -  Hans Schneider
     Editor of IMAGE (The IMG Bulletin)  -  Robert C. Thompson
     Secretary                           -  Daniel Hershkowitz

Committee members:

     Richard A. Brualdi
     David H. Carlson
     Charles R. Johnson.

   A key feature of our strucure is an international board (IB) which
consists of one representative for each of several countries in which
there is linear algebra activity. There is also a representative at
large.

   Initially the international board consists of :

          Belgium           -  P. Van Dooren
          Canada            -  P. Lancaster
          Czechoslovakia    -  M. Fiedler
          Germany           -  L. Elsner
          Great Britain     -  S. Barnett
          Greece            -  J. Maroulas
          Netherlands       -  H. Bart
          Hong Kong         -  Y. Au-Yeung
          Hungary           -  P. Rozsa
          Ireland           -  T. Laffey
          Israel            -  A. Berman
          Japan             -  T. Ando
          Portugal          -  G. de Oliveira
          Spain             -  V. Hernandez
          United States     -  G. Golub
          At large          -  B. Datta

   As a first step we are currently consulting members of the IB to
determine what linear algebra activities are being planned in their
various countries and what kind of useful support IMG can give.

   If you have any suggestions please communicate these to your
national representative, to the representative at large, or to any of
the undersigned officers. Contributions for IMAGE should be sent to
Bob Thompson. If you wish to contribute an announcement to IMG-NET or
be on the mailing list for IMAGE or IMG-NET, please contact Danny
Hershkowitz at the address below (please send in your regular mail
and e-mail addresses).

                            Hans Schneider
                            Mathematics Department
                            Van Vleck Hall
                            University of Wisconsin - Madison
                            Madison, WI 53706
                            U.S.A.
                            =====
                            e-mail address:  [email-masked]

                            Robert C. Thompson
                            Mathematics Department
                            University of California
                            Santa Barbara, CA 93106
                            U.S.A.
                            =====

                            Daniel Hershkowitz
                            Mathematics Department
                            Technion - I.I.T.
                            Haifa 32000
                            ISRAEL
                            ======
                            e-mail address:  [email-masked]

------------------------------

To: [email-masked]
Date:  Mon, 23 Nov 1987
From: I. H. Sloan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Position at New South Wales

Position:  Lecturer in Applied Mathematics (REF: 1113) (Tenured or tenurable
Appointment) - School of Mathematics, University of New South Wales, Sydney,
Australia.

Applicants should have a Ph.D. or equivalent qualification, and active
research interests in one or more of the following areas of applied
mathematics:  optimal control, operations research, optimization, 
numerical analysis or computational mathematics related to these areas.  
Situated within the School of Mathematics, the Department of Applied 
Mathematics has active research groups in optimal control, optmization, 
numerical analysis, computational mathematics, nonlinear dynamics, 
wave theory, fluid dynamics and physical oceanography.  The Department 
encourages interaction with other disciplines, and research activity 
involving applications.  In addition the School of Mathematics is 
currently building up strength in the area of Mathematical Computer Science.  
The successful applicant will be expected to supervise graduate students 
in suitable areas of specialisation, and to participate in the teaching of
courses offered by the School.

The position will be available from July 1988 and appointment will be
either with tenure, or on the basis of a contract with provision for
conversion to tenure.

Further information from Professor I.H. Sloan, Head of School (02)697-2957.
(No e-mail access in December and January.)

Applications close 15 February 1988.

Salary:  $28,381 - $37,122
Commencing salary according to qualifications and experience.

Applicants should forward two copies of their applications, including 
curriculum vitae, telephone number during business hours, transcripts
of academic record and the names and addresses of two referees to the
Academic Staff Office, Post Office Box 1, Kensington, NSW 2033, Australia.

Equality of employment opportunity is University policy.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 87 14:42:59 MST
From: Bobby Schnabel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Applied Math at University of Colorado

The Department of Mathematics and Program in Applied Mathematics,
University of Colorado, invites applications for the position of
Director, Program in Applied Mathematics, beginning Fall, 1988.  We
welcome exceptionally strong applications at all levels.  Preference
will be given to senior applied mathematicians having an international
research reputation and demonstrated success in program development.

The Program in Applied Mathematics is interdisciplinary in nature and
composed of faculty from various engineering disciplines, computer
science, the physical sciences, and mathematics.

The University of Colorado at Boulder has a strong institutional
commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas.  In that
spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from
a broad spectrum of people, including women, members of ethnic
minorities and disabled individuals.

Applications, consisting of a current vitae and any other supporting
information, should be sent by January 20, 1988 to:

			James Curry, Chair
			Search Committee
			Program in Applied Mathematics
			University of Colorado
			Campus Box 426
			Boulder, CO 80309

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Nov 87 15:22:45 PST
From: Dave Carlson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SIAM Linear Algebra Prize

The SIAM Council, during the Annual SIAM Meeting in Denver in October, 
approved a Linear Algebra Prize, to be given every two years to the author(s)
of the best paper in applicable linear algebra published in English in a peer-
reviewed journal within the award period.  The purpose of this communication
is to solicit nominations for the first awarding of the Prize.
The first SIAM Linear Algebra Prize will be awarded at the Third SIAM
Conference on Applied Linear Algebra, which will be held in Madison, Wisconsin
May 23-26, l988.  It will be awarded for a paper bearing a publication date of
1986 or 1987, containing significant research contributions to the field of 
linear algebra which have direct or potential applications.  The prize will
consist of a plaque and certificate; there will be no cash award. At least one
of the awardees will be expected to attend the Prize Ceremony and present the
winning paper. Also, the Prize will be announced in the SIAM News and the 
SIAG/LA Newsletter.
The Prize Committee consists of the SIAG/LA Vice-Chair (in this case,
me) as Chair and four other SIAG/LA members, chosen by SIAM President
Bill Gear upon the recommendation of SIAG/LA Chair Bob Ward.  Written or
e-mail nominations of outstanding papers should  be made as soon as
possible, and no later than 12/31/87, to any member of the Prize
Committee.  The Committee members are:

Dave Carlson, Math.Sciences Dept., San Diego State Univ., San Diego, CA 92182
  ([email-masked]  or  [email-masked])
Ake Bjorck, Math. Dept., Univ. of Linkoping, S-58183 Linkoping, Sweden
  ([email-masked])
Gene Golub, UMIACS 2321, Comp.Science Bldg., Univ. of Maryland, College Park,
  MD 20742 ([email-masked])
Roger Horn, Math.Sciences Dept., Johns Hopkins Univ., Baltimore, MD 21218
  ([email-masked])
Tom Kailath, Elect.Engr.Dept., Durand 117, Stanford Univ., Stanford, CA 94305
  ([email-masked] or [email-masked])

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Nov 87 19:09:05 EST
From: James W. Demmel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Positions at Courant and Argonne

                  Positions available at
         Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
                            and
                Argonne National Laboratory

Two staff researcher positions, one at Argonne  and  one  at
Courant,  are  available  in  parallel  scientific software.
Courant and Argonne are engaged  in  a  cooperative  project
called  LAPACK,  whose  goal  is  to rewrite the LINPACK and
EISPACK subroutine libraries to be  portable  and  efficient
across  all current supercomputers and various other promis-
ing parallel machines. The principal investigators are  Jack
Dongarra  and Danny Sorenson at Argonne, Jim Demmel and Anne
Greenbaum at Courant, and Sven  Hammmarling  and  Jeremy  Du
Croz at NAG in Oxford. The premise of the project is that by
rewriting or replacing  the  currect  algorithms  with  ones
based  on  matrix-matrix  operations,  these same algorithms
will run efficiently on a variety of machines.  The  matrix-
matrix  operations, the BLAS3 (see SIGNUM Newsletter, v. 22,
no.3, July 1987), are to be optimized  by  each  vendor  for
each  machine.  We  expect LAPACK to become the workhorse of
dense linear algebra algorithms on  supercomputers  just  as
LINPACK  and  EISPACK  were for the serial world.  The posi-
tions involve numerical analysis and scientific programming.
Familiarity  with  parallel  architectures and algorithms is
also desireable.

Courant also  has  visiting  and  staff  research  positions
available  in  other areas of applied mathematics, numerical
analysis and scientific programming. Short appointments  for
visiting  faculty  as well as multiyear research staff posi-
tion are available. Current research activities  at  Courant
include linear algebra, fluid dynamics, Monte Carlo methods,
and inverse problems.

Inquiries should be directed to Jack Dongarra, MCS  Division
-  Bldg.  221,  Argonne  National  Lab, 9700 S. Cass Avenue,
Argonne, IL 60439-4844, (312)972-7246, [email-masked]
or Jim Demmel, Courant Institute, 251 Mercer Str., New York,
NY 10012, (212)998-3470, [email-masked].

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------