Subject: NA Digest V87 #79

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat 21 Nov 87 10:15:53 PST

NA Digest   Saturday, November 21, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 79

This weeks Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

                    Positions at Temple University
                          Out-of-print Books
         Tromsoe Conference on Vector and Parallel Computing
        Supercomputing '88 -- Announcement and Call for Papers
                            Status update.
         Linear Algebra and Its Applications -- News Bulletin

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 12 Nov 1987 16:52 EDT
From: Avi Lin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Positions at Temple University
To: Cleve <[email-masked]>

                      TEMPLE UNIVERSITY
                   DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS

Several tenure-track and visiting positions are anticipated for fall
1988. All areas are currently under consideration, but we especially
encourage applications in Applied Computational Mathematics. Outstanding
research achievements, activity, potential and serious commitment to
teaching and research is required. Candidates from all fields in this
area will be considered. Normal duties including
research and at most two courses teaching per semester.  The salaries
are very competitive, and the fringe benefits are excellent.

   I intend to attend to the coming SIAM Conference on Parallel
Processing for Scientific Computing, December 1 - 4 , 1987, in
The Westin Bonaventure Hotel in Los Angeles. People that might be
interested in these positions are encouraged to stop by and talk
with me. I can provide any perminent information regarding
the department, the positions, the new programs and the City of
Philadelphia. Participants that are interested in
meeting me during this conference, should notify me
by sending electronic mail or regular mail notes.
My electronic mail addresses:  [email-masked]
                              [email-masked]

If you cannot meet me, but are interested in being considered for
one of the positions, send a resume and arrange to have three
letters of reference sent by January 15, 1988 to Dr. Avi Lin, Department
of Mathematics, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122.
Temple University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Women and minorities are especially encouraged to apply.

    -- Avi Lin 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 87 15:44:20 EST
From: Elizabeth Jessup <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Out-of-print Books

Does anyone know where I can buy new or used copies of the following 
out-of-print books?

           J.H. Wilkinson,  The Algebraic Eigenvalue Problem (1 copy)
           B.N. Parlett,  The Symmetric Eigenvalue Problem (2 copies)

Thanks,

Liz Jessup

[email-masked]
(203)432-1200

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Nov 87 09:50:24 cet
To: [email-masked]
From: Berit Hilt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Tromsoe Conference on Vector and Parallel Computing

                    BERGEN SCIENTIFIC CENTRE
                                &
                    CHR. MICHELSEN INSTITUTE
                                &
                   SIAM/SIAG on Supercomputing
                                &
                           ACM SIGARCH

               THE SECOND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
               ON VECTOR  AND  PARALLEL  COMPUTING
          ISSUES IN APPLIED  RESEARCH  AND DEVELOPMENT
                       JUNE 6 -- 10, 1988

                        in Tromsoe Norway

                          Organized by:

     Jack Dongarra (ANL, Argonne), Iain Duff (AERE, Harwell)
     Patrick Gaffney (BSC) and Sean McKee (U of Strathclyde)

                       CONFERENCE THEMES:

                       Numerical Analysis
     Pattern Recognition/Image Processing & Computer Vision
                     Artificial Intelligence
            Reservoir Simulation & Seismic Processing
          Parallel Programming Languages - such as Ada
               Large Scale Scientific Computations

          CONTRIBUTED PAPERS & POSTERS Deadline December 11, 1987       

                    REGISTER SOON PLACES LIMITED TO 450

                       INVITED SPEAKERS

Tilak Agerwala       IBM           Parallel Computer Architectures
Tony Chan            UCLA          Domain Decomposition for CFD
Al Erisman           BCS           Vector Processing
Richard Ewing        Wyoming       Reservoir Modellingr
Wolfgang Gentzsch    Regensburg    Benchmarking for CFD calculations
Tony Jameson         Princeton     CFD
Ken Kennedy          Rice          Compiler Issues
Jan Kok              CWI           Parallel Programming with Ada
Gerard Meurant       CEA           Domain Decomposition for PDEs
Cleve Moler          Dana          Graphics & Parallel Computing
Johnny Petersen      IBM, BSC      Seismic Processing
Linda Shapiro        Washington    Pattern Recognition Image Processing
Alvie Ray Smith      Pixar         Computer--Animated Graphics
Ulrich Trottenberg   GMD           The Suprenum Project
David Warren         Manchester    Parallel Logic Programming

                SIX SCHOLARSHIPS Deadline DECEMBER 11, 1987

AVAILABLE FOR STUDENTS WHO SUBMIT AN EXTENDED ABSTRACT ON ONE OF
THE CONFERENCE THEMES AND WHO HAVE  NOT ATTAINED A PH.D AT THE TIME OF
SUBMISSION.

THE STUDENT PAPERS WILL BE JUDGED BY A PANEL INCLUDING THE PRESIDENT OF
SIAM, BILL GEAR AND THE IMMEDIATE EX--PRESIDENT, GENE GOLUB.

THE AUTHORS OF THE SIX BEST PAPERS WILL BE INVITED TO TROMSOE, AT THE
EXPENSE OF THE CONFERENCE

Submissions for these scholarships, which must include the extended
abstract and a letter of recommendation from the student's major professor,
should be sent to the conference secretary before December 11, 1987.

                                   TRAVEL

Special charter flights are being scheduled to transport attendees to and
from OSLO to TROMSOE.
Attendees who wish to avail themselves of this service, and thereby obtain
a reduction in the cost of this air travel within Norway, should contact the
conference secretary, Berit Hilt, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE:

Berit Hilt
Bergen Scientific Centre
Allegaten 36
5007 Bergen
Norway

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Nov 87 10:15:13 EST
From: George Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Supercomputing '88 -- Announcement and Call for Papers

                       Supercomputing '88

                      November 14-18, 1988
                       Buena Vista Palace,
                 Lake Buena Vista, Florida, USA

                         Sponsored by:
          Computer Society of the IEEE and ACM SIGARCH

                      In Cooperation with:
Argonne National Laboratory, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory,
Los Alamos National Laboratory, NASA Ames Research Center,
National Center for Atmospheric Research,
National Science Foundation, SIAM, Supercomputing Research Center

Papers submitted by:  March 14, 1988
Poster proposals due:  August 2, 1988

Supercomputing '88 is a new conference that will bring  together
supercomputing  system  researchers,  designers,  and  users  to
report new advances and experiences, state needs, suggest future
directions,  and  contribute  to  discussions.   It will include
tutorials, a high quality technical program, on-line  and  video
taped  demonstrations,  informal  poster  sessions,  vendor  and
university exhibits, and product briefings.

TOPICS OF INTEREST. Examples include, but are  not  limited  to,
the  following: 
    Science  and  Supercomputing
    The Impact of New Technology on the Future of Supercomputing
    Supercomputing  Execution Environment
    Supercomputing Development Environment
    Supercomputing Application Environment
    Supercomputing  System Evaluation
    Supercomputing Management Issues
    Mass Storage and Supercomputers
    Technical Aspects of Products
    User Experience

PAPERS.  Authors are  invited  to  submit  papers  which  report
concrete  results  and  experience.   Papers reporting important
negative results are also encouraged.  Selection  criteria  will
include originality, clarity, and relevance.

Requirements:  Papers must be original material  not  previously
published.  Papers must be submitted without conditions; authors
must obtain any necessary approvals and/or clearances  prior  to
submission.  Copyright  release  will  be  required.  Authors of
accepted papers  will  be  responsible  for  retyping  corrected
papers  on special forms to be provided and for preparing visual
material  for  their  presentations  using  guidelines   to   be
provided.  Camera-ready  copy is due July 18, 1988. Presentation
visual material is due for quality review October 4, 1988.

Instructions:  Submit five copies to  the  Program  Chairman  by
March  14,  1988.   Papers  must be in English, be typed double-
spaced, and not exceed 25 pages (about 5000 words).  Papers must
have:   (1) a  title  page  that  lists  the  name,  mailing and
electronic address, and telephone number for each author; (2) an
abstract;   (3)  keywords;   (4)  and   the  presentation  media
requirement.   For  multiple   author   papers,   identify   the
corresponding author and the presenting author.

POSTERS.  In addition to informal evening  poster  sessions,  an
on-line  poster  session will be scheduled where people who have
developed interesting applications will demonstrate  them  using
exhibitor equipment.

Instructions:  Contact  the  Program  Chairman  for  all  poster
proposals.  Proposals for on-line posters should be made jointly
with the collaborating exhibitor.

SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER  MANAGERS  ROUNDTABLE.   Special  informal
sessions   will  be  organized  so  that  supercomputing  center
managers can share recent progress, discuss common problems, and
consider opportunities for collaboration.

For information on the conference, program, or exhibits  contact
one of the following:

General Chairman        Program Chairman                Exhibits Chairman
George Michael, L-306   Stephen F. Lundstrom            Roger Anderson, L-306
LLNL                    ERL 455                         LLNL
P. O. Box 808           Stanford University             P. O. Box 808
Livermore, CA  94550    Stanford, CA  94305             Livermore, CA  94550
(415) 422-4239          (415) 723-0140                  (415) 422-8572
[email-masked]        [email-masked]   [email-masked]

For location and registration information contact  the  Computer
Society  of the IEEE, 1730 Massachusetts Ave., N.W., Washington,
DC  20036-1903.  (202) 371-1013

------------------------------

Mail-From: KENT created at 18-Nov-87 18:31:06
Date: Wed 18 Nov 87 18:31:06-PST
From: Mark Kent <[email-masked]>
Subject: Status update.
To: [email-masked]

I am currently working on moving the NA-NET to another machine.
This is being done to improve service, add new features and
also because the host that the na.<lastname> facility is on
is soon to disappear.

Initial work has unearthed a few possible bugs in mailer software,
and one instance of domain name resolution software. 
At least one of these bugs seems to have been living in a
popular mail facility for some time.

>From time to time I need to run tests and have to send out a 
short message to some "real addresses".  Naturally I have selected
the addresses from the NA distribution list.   So, some of you
will be getting short messages that should be ignored.  We are
not particularly interested in whether you have received any test
message.

Thanks for your patience, 
-mark

Ack: Dan Kolkowitz has been a big help in understanding the systems
     problems.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 87 20:30:04 cst
From: Hans Schneider <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Linear Algebra and Its Applications -- News Bulletin

                     LAA NEWS BULLETIN
 
          Special issues of LINEAR ALGEBRA AND ITS APPLICATIONS

LINEAR ALGEBRA AND ITS APPLICATIONS has a tradition of publishing
special isues. There are three types of special issues. There are
special issues honoring famous linear algebraists (Taussky,
Householder, Ostrowski, Wielandt and Wilkinson). Other special
issues present an area of linear algebra or an application
(Large Scale Matrix Problems, Combinatorics and Graph Theory, Linear
Systems and Control, Linear Algebra and Statistics, Parallel
Computimg). Thirdly, LAA publishes as special isues proccedings of
conferences (the Oberwolfach conference on Matrix Theory and Numerical
Linear Algebra, and the Athens Symposium on Operator Theory).

Currently eight special issues are in various stages of production.
The first to appear will be The Role of Linear Algebra in Electrical
Engineering (vol. 98, January 1988). Others that are forthcoming
include an issue in honor of Alan Hoffman and the proceedings of
three conferences: the Victoria conference on Combinatorial Matrix
Theory, the Valencia conference on Linear Algebra and Applications
and the Fourth Haifa Matrix Theory conference. Recently we have
announced three issues devoted to applications of linear algebra: The
second special issue on Linear Systems and Control, the second
special issue on Linear Algebra and Statistics, and an issue on
Linear Algebra in Image Reconstruction. Details of the last three
issues will appear in volume 99 (February 1988). Detailed
announcements are also being circulated over na.net and img-net and
in publications such as SIAM LA-News and the newsletters of the
applications involved.
 
A listing of all special issues which are in progress will henceforth
appear in each regular volume of LAA, beginning with volume 99.
 
LAA plans to continue and augment the series of special issues of all
types by publishing several each year. The publication of papers in
regular volumes should not be affected for in 1988 LAA will publish 14
volumes (over 4,000 pages). Well considered proposals for further
special issues are invited.

 
    100 volume index of LINEAR ALGEBRA AND ITS APPLICATIONS
 
  Volume 100 of LAA (March 1988) will be an index volume. It will
  contain the author index for papers published in the first 100
  volumes of the journal. It is also planned to include a list of all
  members of the editorial board since the inception of the journal
  and, to the extent possible, a list of all referees. A complete
  listing of special issues with their special editors and of
  profiles (biographical articles) and obituaries will also be included.
 
  Volume 100 may be purchased at a price of $40 from the publisher at
  the address below:

			       Elsevier Science Publishing Co
			       52 Vanderbilt Ave
			       New York NY 10017

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------