Subject: NA Digest V87 #78

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu 12 Nov 87 03:50:15 PST

NA Digest   Thursday, November 12, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 78

This weeks Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

            Supercomputing Conference, France, July, 1988
     1988 Conference on the Numerical Solution of IVPs for ODEs.
            CERFACS -- European Centre for Supercomputing
              Corrected Announcement of the L. Fox Prize
              Wanted: BFGS routine with Cholesky updates
                          Gordon Bell Award

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Nov 87 17:10:16 +0100
From: Bernard Philippe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Supercomputing Conference, France, July, 1988

                            CALL FOR PAPERS
                                   &
                              ANNOUNCEMENT

           1988 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SUPERCOMPUTING (ICS88)

                    JULY 4-8, 1988. SAINT MALO, FRANCE

                              SPONSORED BY
             Association for Computing Machinery (ACM-SIGARCH)
            	          IN COOPERATION WITH
Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et Automatique (INRIA, France)
Institut de Recherche en Informatique et Systemes Aleatoires (IRISA, France)
       Center for Supercomputing Research and development (CSRD, USA)
           Computer Technology Institute (CTI, Greece)
         Purdue Center for Vector and Parallel Computing (USA)
                    Information Society of Japan

    CONFERENCE CHAIRMAN:                    PROGRAM CHAIRMAN: 
    D. J. Kuck (Illinois)                   J. Lenfant (Rennes)

                      PROGRAM VICE-CHAIRMEN:

       Europe & Middle East   :  W. Jalby (INRIA)
       Japan & Far East       :  H. Terada (Osaka)
       North and South America:  C. D. Polychronopoulos (Illinois)

 Local Arrangements: B. Philippe (IRISA) Publicity   : J. Erhel (IRISA)
 Proceedings       : D. DeGroot (TI)     Secretary   : Y. Jegou (IRISA)
 Treasurer         : M. Raynal (IRISA)   Registration: P. Quinton (IRISA)

                          COMMITTEES

                            EUROPE

      I. Duff (Harwell)             A. Lichnewsky (INRIA)
      E. Gelenbe (ISEM)             T. Papatheodorou (CTI)
      W. Giloi (GMD/TUB)            R.H. Perrott (Belfast)
      J. Gurd (Manchester)          P. Sguazzero (ECSEC)
      F. Hossfeld (KFA)             U. Trottenberg (Suprenum)
      P. Lallemand (DRET)           J.P. Verjus (Grenoble)

                           JAPAN

      M. Amamyia (NTT)              H. Tanaka (Tokyo)
      K. Fuchi (ICOT)               T. Yuba (EL)
      Y. Muraoka (Waseda)

                           USA

      F. Allen (IBM)                K. Kennedy (Rice)
      Arvind (MIT)                  Y. Patt (Berkeley)
      E. S. Davidson (Illinois)     G. Pfister (IBM)
      J. Dongarra (Argonne)         J. Rice (Purdue)
      G. Fox (Caltech)              Y. Saad (Illinois)
      D. Gannon (Indiana)           J. Sopka (DEC)
      E. N. Houstis (Purdue)

                     INVITED SPEAKERS

      G. Bell (NSF)                 C. Ledbetter (ETA)
      M. Farmwald (MIPS)            G. Paul (IBM)
      R. Glowinski (INRIA/Houston)  A. Sameh (Illinois)
      H. T. Kung (CMU)

                          SCOPE

     Topics of interest include (but are not limited to) supercomputer
     architectures, technology, software (compilers, operating systems), 
     performance evaluation, languages,  parallel numerical analysis, 
     applications.

                         PAPERS

Deadline for submission of contributed papers is FEBRUARY 1st, 1988. 
Send five copies of complete paper to (Europe, Middle east, Africa):

                         W. JALBY
			 INRIA
			 BP 105 
			 78153 LE CHESNAY CEDEX
			 FRANCE 

or, (Japan and Far East):
                         H. TERADA
			 Dep. Electrical Engineering
			 OSAKA UNIVERSITY
			 YAMADAOKA 2-1 SUITA
			 OSAKA JAPAN 565

or, (North and South America):
			 C. D. POLYCHRONOPOULOS
			 CSRD
			 UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS
			 104 SOUTH WRIGHT STREET
			 URBANA IL 61801
			 USA

Proceedings will be published by ACM.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Nov 87 20:36:38 EST
From: Ken Jackson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 1988 Conference on the Numerical Solution of IVPs for ODEs.

                        Preliminary Announcement for

                            The 1988 Conference on
                   The Numerical Solution of IVPs for ODEs
                               20-24 June 1988

                                Organized by
                 Professors W. H. Enright and K. R. Jackson,
            Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto,
                      Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5S 1A4.
              ([email-masked] or [email-masked])

          This is a preliminary announcement for The 1988  Conference  on
     the  Numerical  Solution  of  Initial-Value  Problems  for  Ordinary
     Differential Equations to be held  in  the  Department  of  Computer
     Science  at  the  University  of  Toronto,  20-24  June  1988.   (To
     facilitate travel arrangements, the conference will close at noon of
     the final day.) The language of the conference will be English.

          The previous conference in this series was held in  Albuquerque
     in  July  of 1986, and its programme included talks on both Initial-
     Value  Problems  (IVPs)  and  Boundary-Value  Problems  (BVPs)   for
     Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs).  Because of the large number
     of researchers working in these two areas and the modest  number  of
     them  active  in  both  fields,  we  chose  to emphasize IVPs at the
     Toronto meeting, although talks related to BVPs with  a  significant
     IVP content will not be excluded.

          The following distinguished researchers have agreed to  present
     50-minute  invited  lectures at the Toronto meeting:  J. C. Butcher,
     P. Deuflhard, J. Dormand and P. J. Prince,  C. W. Gear,  R. Jeltsch,
     S. P. Norsett,  and  L. F. Shampine.   In  addition,  we  are  still
     waiting to receive acceptances from a few other invited speakers.

          We  hope  to  attain  a  balance  between  the  practical   and
     theoretical  aspects  associated with the numerical solution of IVPs
     for ODEs in the talks at this  conference.   In  part,  the  invited
     speakers  were  chosen  with this in mind.  In addition, since there
     are so many distinguished researchers  working  in  this  field,  we
     decided  to  avoid  an  overlap  between the invited speakers at the
     Toronto meeting and those who gave ``highlighted'' talks at the 1986
     ODE Conference in Albuquerque.

          Titles and abstracts for 30-minute contributed  talks  will  be
     solicited  in  the  next  conference  announcement to be distributed
     early in 1988.  To enable us to inform authors by 1 May 1988 whether
     their  paper  has  been accepted for presentation at the conference,
     the deadline for receiving titles and abstracts  will  be  18  March
     1988.   However,  if  you require an early acceptance for your talk,
     mail its title, names of authors, their institutions, and a  single-
     spaced  typed abstract of at most 200 words to us and we may be able
     to give you an early  acceptance.   The  collection  of  titles  and
     abstracts  for  all  accepted talks will be published as a technical
     report to be distributed to  participants  at  the  conference.   No
     proceedings  or  special  issue  of  a  journal  for this meeting is
     planned.

          We hope to keep the cost of  attending  this  conference  to  a
     minimum.   By  holding the meeting on the university campus, we hope
     to keep the conference registration fee below $100, with a  possible
     further  reduction  for students.  Also, we have reserved a block of
     reasonably-priced rooms at one of the college  residences,  but,  to
     accommodate  those participants who prefer less Spartan quarters, we
     have also reserved a block of rooms  in  a  nearby  hotel.   Details
     concerning the conference registration and accommodation reservation
     will be given in our next conference announcement.

          We hope that there will be some funds available to  defray  the
     expenses  of those with no other means of travel support.  If we are
     successful in obtaining such  funds,  guidelines  for  applying  for
     travel   assistance   will  be  contained  in  our  next  conference
     announcement also.

          If you did not received an announcement similar to this one  by
     regular  post  and  you are interested in attending the 1988 Toronto
     ODE Conference, please send your name and address (regular  and,  if
     possible,  electronic) to either one of the conference organizers at
     the address above.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Nov 87 03:35:40 cst
From: Iain Duff <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: CERFACS -- European Centre for Supercomputing

                      CERFACS

   I am happy to report that the European Centre for Supercomputing
based in Toulouse, France (CERFACS) is now a reality.  It was
established in February as an organization and was officially
inaugurated as a centre on October 9th, 1987.
   As was conceived at the outset, CERFACS has twin aims of research
in supercomputing and parallel computing and applications on such
architectures, and advanced training in aspects of the same.  The
Centre is not planning to design machines, nor does it exist to
provide the services of a computer bureau. Its twin aims of research
and training will be conducted through projects in a multidisciplinary
environment.
   There are currently three projects underway in the Centre. They are
on "Parallel algorithms" (project leader Iain Duff), "Real flows"
(project leaders Arthur Rizzi and Hieu Ha Minh), "Instabilities and
Turbulence (project leader Maurice Meneguzzi).  Each project has
around 5-6 people, comprising senior research workers, post-docs, and
graduate students.  It is planned to start more projects (up to around
ten) as funding permits.
   By the beginning of 1988, the equipment will include a biprocessor
ETA Piper supercomputer, a MATRA X-MS 7020 (Encore Multimax),several
IBM PCs, Macintoshes, SUNs, and high-speed links to a wide range of
supercompouters including a CRAY-2, CRAY X-MP, CYBER 205, IBM 3090/VF,
FACOM VP 100, SCS 40, CONVEX, and SEQUENT. A hypercube based machine
will also be installed early in 1988.
   It is planned to encourage visits by prominnent reseach workers
both of a short or long duration and some funding has been allocated
for this purpose.  In addition, CERFACS will hold "Training Cycles"
which are conferences consisting principally of invited presentations
designed partly as training for CERFACS participants and also as a
regular conference for discussion of current research. The next will
be on "Sparse Matrrices" in April (12-14) and I will shortly circulate
a draft programme for this meeting which is open to anyone to attend.
   As you might expect, the parallel algorithm group's main interest
lies in sparse matrix research.  Currently I am spoending about one
week a month at Toulouse but am still principally based at Harwell
where our numerical analysis group is expanding and is still very
active.

   -- Iain Duff
      Harwell

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Nov 87 08:19:34 cst
From: Iain Duff <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Corrected Announcement of the L. Fox Prize

                         Third L. Fox Prize

     [Ed. Note: This is a reposting of the announcement from
     a previous digest, with transatlantic transmission errors
     corrected.]

          If you will be under 31 years old on January 1st 1988
     and have not already won a first Fox prize, why not enter
     for the 1988 competition?   If you have such a student,
     please encourage him or her to enter.

          Calls for entries have already been published, but in
     case you missed them, here are the rules.

          Each entry should consist of three copies of a paper,
     describing some of the candidate's research, that is
     suitable for a 40 minute lecture at a numerical analysis
     symposium.   Whether or not the work has been published or
     accepted for publication is irrelevant, but no person may
     submit more than one paper.  Unsuccessful candidates from
     previous competitions are encouraged to enter.

          The entries will be considered by an Adjudicating
     Committee, its members being J.K. Reid (Harwell Laboratory),
     K.W. Morton (Oxford University) and J.C. Mason (Shrivenham).
     Particular attention will be given to the originality and
     quality of each paper, and to the suitability of the
     material for a 40 minute talk to a general audience of
     numerical analysts.  About 5 papers will be selected by the
     Committee for presentation at a symposium that will be held
     at Imperial College, London on Monday March 28th 1988.  Only
     the papers that are presented at the symposium will be
     eligible for awards, but, subject to this restriction, the
     Adjudicating Committee may award any number of first and
     secondary prizes.

          Entries should reach Dr. J.K. Reid (Computer Science
     and Systems Division, Building 8.9, Harwell Laboratory,
     Oxon OX11 ORA, England), not later than December 1st 1987.
     Each candidate should include a statement that his or her
     year of birth is not earlier than 1957, and should indicate
     whether he or she would be available to present his or her
     paper at the symposium.   The Adjudicating Committee may
     allow a deputy to present a paper in a case of exceptional
     merit.   The receipt of all entries will be acknowledged.
     It is unlikely that travel funds will be available to assist
     candidates who attend the symposium.  Any questions should
     be addressed to a member of the Adjudicating Committee.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Nov 87 12:33:17 PST
From: Art Owen <[email-masked]>
Subject: Wanted: BFGS routine with Cholesky updates
To: [email-masked]

I am looking for a quasi-Newton subroutine which uses the BFGS update
and maintains a Cholesky decomposition of the second order information
and handles nondefiniteness in a reasonable way.  If possible, I would
like code that can be distributed freely.

Thanks,

Art Owen
Dept of Statistics
Stanford University
Stanford CA, 94305

[email-masked]

(415) 725-2232

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Nov 87 16:26:45 cst
From: Jack Dongarra <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Gordon Bell Award

The Gordon Bell Awards Guidelines for Judges

Beginning in 1988, two $1000 awards will be given each year for 10
years to the person or team that demonstrates the greatest speedup on a
multiple-instruction, multiple-data parallel processor.

One award is for the most speedup on a general-purpose
(multiple-application) MIMD, the other for most speedup on a
special-purpose (single-application) MIMD.  Speedup can be accomplished
by hardware or software improvements, or by a combination of the two.

The awards are intended to recognize the best, operational scientific
or engineering program with the most speedup, not including
vectorization on a vector processor.

Speedup is measured against a similar program run sequentially on one
processor of the same system.  To be considered for the award,
submitted programs must have a factor of two more speedup than a
previous winning program.

The program should run at near the peak speed of any computer available
(including various supercomputers) and be a genuine, cost-effective 
solution; "toy" programs will not be considered.

Hardware simulations are not permitted.  The speedup must be
demonstrated on a running piece of hardware.

Definitions

Speedup:

The time taken to run an application on one processor using
the best sequential algorithm divided by the time to run the same
application on n processors using the best parallel algorithm.

General-purpose:

The parallel system should be able to run a wide variety of
applications.  For the purposes of this test, the machine must run
three different programs that demonstrate its ability to solve
different problems.  Suggestions are a large, dynamic structures
calculation; a transsonic fluid flow past a complex barrier; and a
large problem in econometric modeling.

Operational:

A program used to produce a useful scientific or engineering result.

Application:

The problems run for this test must be complete applications; no
computational kernels are allowed.  They must contain all input, data
transfers from host to parallel processors, and all output.  The
problems chosen should be the kind of job that a working scientist or
engineer would submit as a batch job to a large supercomputer.

Judging and Deadlines

Contestants must submit documentation of their base system and their
speedup by Dec. 1, 1987.  Documentation should be in the form of
verified timings, description of the application, and any other support
data.  Whether or not the application qualifies and verification of the
results will be determined by the panel of judges.

Judges will be selected by IEEE Software Editor-in-Chief Ted Lewis.
Winners will be announced in the March issue of IEEE Software.  Winners
will be notified in advance and may be asked to submit a short summary
of their program for publication.  

Send contest submissions to:  Ted Lewis, Editor-in-Chief, IEEE
Software, c/o Computer Science Dept., Oregon State University,
Corvallis, OR  97331.

The judges for the 1988 awards are Alan Karp (chairman) of IBM 
Research, Jack Dongarra of Argonne National Laboratories, and Ken
Kennedy of Rice University.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------