Subject: NA Digest V87 #77

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue 3 Nov 87 20:55:21 PST

NA Digest   Tuesday, November  3, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 77

This weeks Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

       Numerical Analysis Position at the University of Toronto
                           Position at UMBC
                          LAA Special Issue
       IMA Journal Special Issue Commemorating L. Fox Birthday
                           Leslie Fox Prize
                  Argonne Parallel Programming Class
                    Positions at Temple University
            Conference on Nonlinear PDE's at Arizona State

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 87 22:48:29 EST
From: Ken Jackson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Numerical Analysis Position at the University of Toronto

		       Faculty Position

	   Numerical Analysis / Scientific Computing

      Computer Science Department, University of Toronto,
	       Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5S 1A4.

The Computer Science Department at the University of Toronto invites
applications for a tenure-track or tenured position in the area of
Numerical Analysis / Scientific Computing.  The salary and rank
(assistant, associate, or full professor) will depend upon the
experience and qualifications of the candidate.  She/He should have a
strong interest in numerical software and will be expected to play a
leading role in the department's Scientific Computing Group.

The appointment is to commence 1 July 1988.  Duties will consist of
teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels, graduate student
supervision, and research.

Both Professors Wayne Enright ([email-masked], 416-978-5474)
and Ken Jackson ([email-masked], 416-978-7075) will be pleased to
respond (in the strictest confidence) to informal enquiries concerning
this position.  Formal applications should be made in writing to the
chairman of the department, Professor Derek G. Corneil.  Include a
Curriculum Vitae and the names of at least three referees.  The
deadline for applications is 15 January 1988.

The Scientific Computing Group also hopes to be able to hire one or
more postdocs or research associates for the 1988-89 academic year.
Enquiries concerning these positions should be addressed to either
Professors Wayne Enright or Ken Jackson.

Note:  In accordance with Canadian immigration regulations, priority
will be given to Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
The University of Toronto encourages both women and men to apply for
positions.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Nov 87 14:02:10 EST
From: Thomas Seidman  <[email-masked]>
Subject: Position at UMBC
To: [email-masked]

   Position at UMBC = University of Maryland Baltimore County:

	The UMBC Department of Mathematics and Statistics invites 
applications for tenure and tenure-track faculty positions in Applied 
Mathematics, beginning September 1, 1988.
	Candidates should have a Ph.D. and research and teaching experience
commensurate with the position applied for. Faculty with strengths in 
Combinatorics, Control and Communications, Operations Research, SCIENTIFIC
COMPUTING, and Applied Analysis are encouraged to apply. The department
has a faculty of about 25 at present. 
	Applications should be received at an early date, but no later than
January 15, 1988. Send curriculum vitae, reprints and/or preprints, names
of at least 3 referees, and a summary of current research activity to:
		James M. Greenberg, Chairman
		Department of Mathematics and Statistics,
		University of Maryland Baltimore County
		Catonsville, MD		21228.
(For further information, write or telephone (301)-455-2405.)

	EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
	MINORITIES AND WOMEN ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY

(For further information, e-mail enquiries can also be addressed to:
		BITNET: seidman@umbc
		arpanet: seidman@umbc3
		na.seidman@su-score		)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Nov 87 13:10:58 cst
From: Hans Schneider <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: LAA Special Issue 

LINEAR ALGEBRA AND ITS APPLICATIONS

Second Special Issue on Linear Algebra and Statistics

This is to announce a second Special Issue of LINEAR ALGEBRA
AND ITS APPLICATIONS on Linear Algebra and Statistics.

The first Special Issue on this topic comprised 56 research
papers spread over two-and-a-half volumes, viz. vol.67 (June
1985, 279pp.), vol.70 (October 1985, 369pp.), and the second
half of vol.82 (October 1986, pp.143-279). It was edited by
Ingram Olkin, C. Radhakrishna Rao and George P.H. Styan.

The aim then and again now is to focus attention on those
areas of statistics and probability where methods from
linear algebra and matrix theory are relevant, interpreted in
a broad sense.  Such areas include (but are not limited to)
regression analysis, design of experiments, multivariate
analysis, time series analysis, decision theory, sampling and
distribution theory, reliability theory, and Markov chains.
Group representations, graphs and networks, generalized
inverses of matrices, separation theorems 
and singular values of matrices, Kantorovich inequalities and
Chebychev-type generalizations, stochastic orderings,
generalized projectors, limits of eigenvalues of random
matrices, and Petrie matrices are some of the topics in
linear algebra which have had a significant impact on, and/or
which are motivated by, problems in statistics and
probability.

Contributions are now invited. Papers should be suitable
for publication in this journal, and will be refereed in the
usual way. The deadline for submission of papers is 30
September 1988, with expected publication in late 1989.
Papers should be sent (three copies please) to any one of
these three Special Editors:

Michael D. Perlman
Department of Statistics
University of Washington
Padelford Hall/GN-22
Seattle, WA 98195, USA

Friedrich Pukelsheim
Lehrstuhl fuer Stochastik und ihre Anwendungen
Institut fuer Mathematik
Universitaet Augsburg
Memminger Strasse 6
D-8900 Augsburg
Federal Republic of Germany

George P.H. Styan
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
McGill University, Burnside Hall
805 ouest, rue Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, QC, Canada  H3A 2K6.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Nov 87 10:14:31 cst
From: Iain Duff <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: IMA Journal Special Issue Commemorating L. Fox Birthday

                  IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis

              Commemoration of 70th Birthday of L. Fox

          Leslie Fox became a Chief Editor of JIMA in 1971,
     because of a policy decision to publish more papers in
     numerical analysis.  Under his expert direction about half
     of the JIMA papers were in this field for the next 10 years,
     when numerical analysis was separated to form the new IMA
     Journal of Numerical Analysis.  He has served as an
     Associate Editor of IMAJNA since its foundation.  His IMAJNA
     colleagues and the IMA wish to show some of their gratitude
     commemorate his 70th birthday.

          Because of his strong influence on the development of
     numerical analysis for more than 40 years, it is expected
     him.  The Editors of IMAJNA (K.W. Morton and M.J.D. Powell)
     will be delighted to receive such contributions at any time,
     but these submissions will have a realistic chance of
     appearing in the October issue only if they arrive by
     December 31st, 1987.  Alternatively, some authors of papers
     that have already been submitted to IMAJNA may wish to add
     an appropriate dedication.  All such submissions will be
     refereed in the usual way, except that a special effort will
     be made to take decisions by March 30th, 1988 on the
     publication of papers that are submitted before the end of
     1987.

          We expect to receive more than enough good papers for
     one issue of IMAJNA, so several dedicated papers will appear
     in 1989.  Priority for publication in the October, 1988
     issue will be given to authors who were his research
     students and/or colleagues.  Except for the special issue,
     dedicated papers will not receive priority over ordinary
     submissions to IMAJNA (or vice versa).  All numerical
     analysts are invited to join this commemoration of Leslie's
     70th birthday.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Nov 87 10:13:16 cst
From: Iain Duff <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Leslie Fox Prize

                         Third L. Fox Prize

          If you will be under 31 years old on January 1st 1988
     and have not already won a first Fox prize, why not enter
     for the 1988 competition?   If you have such a student,
     please encourage him or her to enter.

          Calls for entries have already been published, but in
     case you missed them, here are the rules.

     [Ed. Note: This next paragraph arrived a little garbled, 
     but in view of the approaching deadline, I thought I better
     run it as is.  Sorry, Iain.  --Cleve]

          Each entry should consist of three copies of a paper,
     me of the candidate's research, that is
     suitable for a 40 minute lecture at a numerical analysis
     submit more than one paper.  Unsuccessful candidates from
     previous competitions are encouraged to enter.

          The entries will be considered by an Adjudicating
     Committee, its members being J.K. Reid (Harwell Laboratory),
     K.W. Morton (Oxford University) and J.C. Mason (Shrivenham).
     Particular attention will be given to the originality and
     quality of each paper, and to the suitability of the
     material for a 40 minute talk to a general audience of
     numerical analysts.  About 5 papers will be selected by the
     Committee for presentation at a symposium that will be held
     at Imperial College, London on Monday March 28th 1988.  Only
     the papers that are presented at the symposium will be
     eligible for awards, but, subject to this restriction, the
     Adjudicating Committee may award any number of first and
     secondary prizes.

          Entries should reach Dr. J.K. Reid (Computer Science
     and Systems Division, Building 8.9, Harwell Laboratory,
     Oxon OX11 ORA, England), not later than December 1st 1987.
     Each candidate should include a statement that his or her
     year of birth is not earlier than 1957, and should indicate
     whether he or she would be available to present his or her
     paper at the symposium.   The Adjudicating Committee may
     allow a deputy to present a paper in a case of exceptional
     merit.   The receipt of all entries will be acknowledged.
     It is unlikely that travel funds will be available to assist
     candidates who attend the symposium.  Any questions should
     be addressed to a member of the Adjudicating Committee.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Nov 87 18:00:39 cst
From: Rick Stevens <[email-masked]>
Subject: Argonne Parallel Programming Class
To: [email-masked]

     Argonne National Laboratory has set up an Advanced Computing 
Research Facility (ACRF) for the study of parallel computing.  It 
currently features an 8-processor Alliant FX/8, a 20-processor 
Encore Multimax, a 12-processor Sequent Balance 21000, and a 
32-processor Intel iPSC hypercube machine.  Local projects utilizing 
the ACRF include investigations in parallel logic programming and 
parallel linear algebra and the development of portable parallel 
programming methodologies.

     To encourage use of the ACRF as a national user facility,
Argonne is sponsoring various classes to familiarize potential
users with the ACRF multiprocessors and with parallel programming 
in general.  The next classes will be held on November 11-13, 1987
and January 13-15, 1988i.  The first
two days will cover parallel programming on the Alliant, Encore, 
Sequent, and Intel computers; the third day will be devoted to 
consideration of each attendee's particular project.  Fortran will be 
emphasized as the primary programming language, although C will be discussed.  
This will be a hands-on class; at its completion participants will 
have written and run a number of programs on each machine, and should 
be familiar with the ACRF environment.

     Those interested in the classes should contact

     Teri Huml
     Mathematics and Computer Science Division
     Argonne National Laboratory
     Argonne, IL  60439-4844

     (312) 972-7163
     [email-masked]

There will be a $25.00 charge for this class, no financial support
for attendees is available.

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 2 Nov 1987 12:29 EDT
From: Avi Lin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Positions at Temple University
To: Cleve <[email-masked]>

                      TEMPLE UNIVERSITY
                   DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS

Several tenure-track and visiting positions ar anticipated for fall
professorial ranks are anticipated for Fall, 1988.  All areas
1988. All areas are currently under consideration, but we especially
encourage applications in Applied Computational Mathematics. Outstanding
research achievements, activity, potential and serious commitment to
teaching and research is required. Candidates from all fields in this
area will be considered. Normal duties including
research and at most two courses teaching per semester.  The salaries
are very competitive, and the fring benefits are excellent.

   I intend to attend to the coming SIAM Conference on Parallel
Processing for Scientific Computing, December 1 - 4 , 1987, in
The Westin Bonaventure Hotel in Los Angeles. People that might be
interested in these positions are encouraged to stop by and talk
with me. I can provide any perminent information regarding
the department, the positions, the new programs and the City of
Philadelphia. Participants that are interested in
meeting me during this conference, should notify me
by sending electronic mail or regular mail notes.
My electronic mail addresses:  [email-masked]
                              [email-masked]

If you cannot meet me, but are interested in being considered for
one of the positions, send a resume and arrange to have three
letters of reference sent by January 15, 1988 to Dr. Avi Lin, Department
of Mathematics, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122.
Temple University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Women and minorities are especially encouraged to apply.

------------------------------

Date: 2 November 87 07:42-MST
To: [email-masked]
From:  H.D. Mittelmann  <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference on Nonlinear PDE's at Arizona State

A two-day conference on

NONLINEAR PARAMETER-DEPENDENT PDE'S AND THEIR EFFECTIVE SOLUTION

will be held on the campus of Arizona State University, Nov. 5/6, 1987.
This conference is sponsored by the Graduate College of ASU and thus
adheres to a specific format.

There is no possibility of contributing papers, but everyone interested
in the subject is invited to attend. A block of rooms has been reserved
at Howard Johnson's Tempe in 2 min. walking distance from the meeting
place. The rates are $46 single and $49 double; mention the conference.
They have complimentary limousine service to the Phoenix airport and may
be called direct 602-967-9431 or through 1-800-654-2000.

The list of speakers includes:

     E. Allgower     Colorado State
     U. Ascher       U British Columbia
     R. Bank         UC San Diego
     T.F. Chan       UCLA
     R. Ewing        U Wyoming
     S. McCormick    CU Denver
     H. Mittelmann   ASU
     R. Renaut       ASU
     C. Ringhofer    ASU
     H. Walker       Utah State

The conference will start at 1 p.m on 11/5 and end at 2:45 p.m. on 11/6.

All lectures will be in the room 222 of the Memorial Union Building on
the ASU campus (2 min. walk from Howard Johnson's). Talks will be in
alphabetical order (I just returned from a trip to Europe and do not hav
the time to type the complete schedule up).

     H.D. Mittelmann
     Dept. Math.                   602-965-6595 (off.)
     Arizona State University      602-965-3951 (dept.)
     Tempe, AZ 85287

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------