Subject: NA Digest V87 #73

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu 15 Oct 87 23:10:33 PDT

NA Digest   Thursday, October 15, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 73

This weeks Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

               Faculty Positions at University of Utah
               Addendum to the Fortran 8x Announcement
                Software for Generalized Eigenproblem
                        Alternative to EISPACK
                      Augment that runs on UNIX
                         The EUROMATH Project
                    Kyoto Supercomputer Symposium

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu 8 Oct 87 08:43:03-MDT
From: Peter Alfeld <[email-masked]>
Subject: Faculty Positions at University of Utah
To: [email-masked]

   The University of Utah Math Department has several positions available. 
Most of these will be filled in the areas of Applied Mathematics,
particularly Scientific Computing and Numerical Analysis.  We may be
able to hire a group of people who already work together.

   I'll be glad to provide any additional information. Send
inquiries to 

[email-masked]

on the arpanet.  Here is the official announcement:

University of Utah
Department of Mathematics

invites applications for the following positions:

1. Three full time tenure track appointments are available.  Two of these
are to be at the Assistant Professor or Associate Professor rank and one is
to be at the Associate Professor or Professor rank. Selection will be based
on research expertise and teaching ability.  Applications will be accepted
until January 31, 1988 or until all three positions are filled.

2. One tenure track position of one-third to full time at the rank of
Associate Professor or Professor.  Selection as above.  Applications will
be accepted until November 30, 1987 or until the position is filled.

3. Two or more nonrenewable three-year instructorships.  Persons of any age
receiving Ph.D. degrees in 1987 or 1988 are eligible.  Applicant will be
selected on the basis of ability and potential in teaching and research.
Starting salary this academic year is $27,000 and cost of living increases
are contingent on action by the State Legislature.  Duties consist of
teaching two courses through the academic year.  Applications will be
accepted until February 28. 1988, or until the positions are filled.

4. One or more visiting positions of one year or less.  Selection criteria
are teaching ability and potential contribution to our research
environment.  Applications will be accepted until February 29, 1987, or
until the positions are filled.

Applications must include curriculum vita, bibliography  and three letters
of reference. (Instructorship applications must also include an abstract of
thesis and a list of graduate courses completed or transcripts.

Please send your application to

Committee on Staffing 
Department of Mathematics
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112

The University of Utah is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Oct 87 12:20:24 CDT
From: Brian Smith <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Addendum to the Fortran 8x Announcement

      Addendum to the Announcement of the Public Review
        of the Draft Fortran Standard.

   The printing of the draft Fortran standard  Fortran 8x  by Global
Engineering Documents has been delayed.  Therefore, the document
is not available from Global until October 19, 1987.  To request the
document from them, refer to it as X3.9 Draft (Fortran), not Fortran 8x,
or draft proposed standard for Fortran.

The date of the availability of the book by Metcalf and Reid, titled
Fortran 8x Explained,  was incorrect.  It is available from Oxford University
Press in November, 1987 (not 1988 as stated in the previous announcement).
Orders for the book are currently being taken at the following address:

       Oxford University Press
       200 Madison Ave.
       New York, NY  10016
       (212)-679-7300

--Brian Smith

------------------------------

Date: 12 October 87 18:22-MST
To: [email-masked]
To:  [email-masked]
From:  Hans Mittelmann <[email-masked]> <na.mittelmann>
Subject:  Software for Generalized Eigenproblem

What is the best available code (pref. FORTRAN) to find the smallest
positive eigenvalue of the problem (only the eigenvalue is needed)

     (A - lambda*B)x = 0,   A and B symmetric but indefinite

where A and B have the sparsity typical for finite element discretiz-
ation of PDE's. A public domain code or a separately available routine
from a package would be preferable.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Oct 87 11:31:04 EDT
From: William Hager <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Alternative to EISPACK

In the October 8, 1987 issue of NA Digest, Cleve Moler and
Eric Grosse reported a problem concerning the calculation
of small eigenvalues using the EISPACK routine TQLRAT.
[Ed. note: More precisely, the difficulties were associate
with underflow, not small eigenvalues, per se.]
Please note that Kahan with Pal and Walker developed a
root free QR algorithm called the PWK method by Parlett
(see Parlett's book, The Symmetric Eigenvalue Problem, pp. 164-169)
which addresses the problem associated with the
calculation of small eigenvalues using TQLRAT. This
algorithm is implemented in the software package NAPACK
which is available from Netlib as well as Psulib. For the 9x9
symmetric matrix mentioned by Cleve and Eric, the relevant routine
is SVALS (mail [email-masked] ... send svals from napack
or mail [email-masked] ... send svals from napack).

Bill Hager ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 87 09:13:58 cdt
From: Peter Tang <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Augment that runs on UNIX

Does anybody have a version of the precompiler   augment
that runs on UNIX?  I would like to run one of my programs
in  multiple precision using Brent's  MP  package.

Any related information will be appreciated.

------------------------------

Date:     15-OCT-1987 10:33:54
From: John Carroll <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: The EUROMATH Project

FROM:     Dr. John Carroll
          School of Mathematical Sciences
          NIHE
          Dublin 9
          Ireland
Tel:      +353 1 37 00 77
E-MAIL    [email-masked]
          (transmitted via IRLEARN.BITNET to STANFORD.BITNET)

    I  write in the hope that your readers can assist me in compiling
    a state-of-the-art report on  the  central issues of the Euromath
    project   (a  brief  summary  of  which  is  attached  for   your
    information)  and  /  or  contribute  their  views  on  a  likely
    structure for the eventual Euromath system.

    The areas of interest include technical word processing, networks
    and    communication     protocols,     electronic    mail    and
    tele-conferencing  as well as the crucial issues surrounding  the
    provision  of  a   (distributed   or   centralised)  database  of
    mathematical  literature.   Also  relevant  is  the  problem   of
    "portability" of  mathematical  text,  how  it can be transmitted
    electronically   and  viewed  in  or  retrieved  from a  suitably
    constructed database.

    Primarily I am interested  in  learning  about  what is currently
    available  in  any  or  all of the  above  areas  or  information
    (reports, reviews or  other  forms)  about  any existing products
    similar  to the components of the proposed Euromath system.   Any
    information  on  products  or  systems  which  will  soon  become
    available is also welcome.

    It  is hoped that one of the consequences of the Euromath project
    will  be  a  clear  recommendation  for  a  standard  approach to
    technical  word processing and the communication of  mathematical
    text.   If  successful,  it  will  provide  the  basis  for other
    scientific disciplines to follow suit.

    I look forward to hearing from you,

    John Carroll
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

                           E U R O M A T H
                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

               THE INTEGRATED DATABASE AND COMMUNICATIONS
                   SYSTEM FOR EUROPEAN MATHEMATICIANS

    The objective of EUROMATH is to improve the research  environment
    for European  mathematicians  with  the aid of modern information
    technology.   By establishing an integrated information retrieval
    and communication system as  well  as a technical word processing
    standard,  it  will  strive to stimulate the  research  potential
    within  mathematics  in  Europe,  increase  the  availability  of
    mathematical  research  and  create  an  environment  which  will
    encourage mathematicians towards increased  collaboration through
    effective communication.

    The  first phase of the EUROMATH project will produce  guidelines
    for the provision of the following inter-related facilities:

         Information Retrieval:  Access  to various directories,
         to   (reviews  of)  published  literature,   to   other
         databases as well  as  drafts  and  notes of individual
         mathematicians.

         Inter-personal  Communication:  Provision  of  suitable
         electronic mail and electronic conferencing facilities.

         Document Preparation and Delivery: The establishment of
         a  European  standard  for  mathematical  communication
         embracing the  main  activities  of  entering, editing,
         transmitting,   receiving  and  printing   mathematical
         documents.

    Traditionally, mathematicians have relied on computers mainly for
    such  specific  tasks  as  scientific  computation  and  symbolic
    manipulation.   A goal of EUROMATH is to expand computer usage by
    enabling easy access to  modern  communication  facilities.   Its
    basic  concept is however equally applicable to other  scientific
    disciplines.  The success of EUROMATH could inspire others to see
    the   benefits   of   a  modern,  full-scale  solution   to   the
    communication needs of a scientific community.

    The  CEC   project   EUROMATH   (The   Integrated   Database  and
    Communications   System   for  European  Mathematicians),  is   a
    collaborative effort linking  CWI  (Amsterdam),  DDC (Copenhagen)
    and NIHE (Dublin) in a technical partnership under the management
    team of CRC (Dublin) and EMT (European Mathematical Trust).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 87 20:48:13 pdt
From: Masaaki Shimasaki <[email-masked]>
Subject: Kyoto Supercomputer Symposium
To: [email-masked]

  Conference Announcement
  Title: 4th Annual Kyoto University Symposium on
         Supercomputing by Vectorcomputers
  Date : March 14-15, 1988
  Place: Data Processing Center
         Kyoto University
         Kyoto, Japan
  Contact: Dr. M. Shimasaki
           Associate Professor
           Kyoto University
           Kyoto, 606 JAPAN
           E-Mail Address: [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------