Subject: NA Digest V87 #62

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat 26 Dec 87 10:19:56 PST

NA Digest   Saturday, December 26, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 62

This weeks Editor: Gene Golub

Today's Topics:

                          Season's Greetings
                             Kent Curtis
                           Summer Workshops
                         Job opening at IMSL
                            Happy Holidays
               Job Opportunity at CONVEX Computer Corp.
    Proram Announcement for Computational Science and Engineering
            Chair Applied Math. & Stat. Dept. Stony Brook

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mail-From: MOLER created at 18-Dec-87 23:04:45
Date: Fri 18 Dec 87 23:04:45-PST
From: Cleve Moler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Season's Greetings
To: [email-masked]

Seasons's Greetings from your NA-Net crew!
   -- Gene, Cleve and Mark

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Dec 87 10:41:15 EST
From: [email-masked] (Gene Golub)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Kent Curtis

Kent Curtis who was director of the division of computer and
computation research at NSF died of cancer on Dec 17. He was a
thoughtful and kindly person and committed himself completely to the
development of computer science.

Gene Golub

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Dec 87 10:11:40 EST
From: [email-masked] (Gene Golub)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Summer Workshops 

	                   SUMMER WORKSHOP

In connection with the NATO Advanced Study Institute (ASI) at Leuven,
Belgium (Aug 1-12, 1988), there will be SUMMER WORKSHOP(S). As noted
in a previous message, the ASI will be focused on Numerical Linear
Algebra, Digital Signal Processing and Parallel Algorithms. The
WORKSHOPS will take place during the period from July 18 until August
26. The main themes will be application areas such as seismic data
analysis, adaptive filtering and control algorithms, identification,
inverse scattering, speech processing and VLSI and parallel
architectures.

The WORKSHOP is intended to be quite relaxed with perhaps one or two
informal lectures per day. It would be best if specific  weeks could be
dedicated to one or two of the above topics. The model for our program 
is the SIAM mini-symposia. Thus to initiate a mini-WORKSHOP, one should
announce to either Paul Van Dooren or Danny Sorensen the intention to
hold a workshop during a specific week. A list of possible attendees
and "agenda" is desirable. There is a possibility of limited financial 
support for the WORKSHOPS but this will only be known in February.
Above all, we hope there will be a friendly and supportive atmosphere.
Although there will be specific topics discussed in any week, persons 
should feel free to be in attendance during any period.

Housing is as for the NATO ASI and should be applied for in advance. We
hope to elaborate an arrangement for people staying for the ASI and the 
WORKSHOPS as well.

Please contact Paul Van Dooren ([email-masked]) or
Danny Sorensen ([email-masked]) concerning your plans.

We hope you attend and actively participate!

Gene Golub

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Dec 87 12:57:50 PST
From: [email-masked] (Phil Smith)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Job opening at IMSL

IMSL, Inc., a leader in the development and distribution of scientific,
engineering, and statistical software is searching for a mathematical
software designer.

The successful individual would be expected to direct IMSL's development
of numerical linear algebra software for vector and parallel computers,
such as Cray, IBM 3090 with vector facility, CDC 205, Alliant and Convex.
Candidates should have a PhD in computer sciences or mathematics.

Our projects are challenging and offer excellent growth opportunities.
Salary is competitive and we provide an excellent benefit package.  
For confidential consideration, send a resume and salary history to

   Philip Smith
   IMSL, Inc.
   2500 ParkWest Tower One
   2500 CityWest Blvd.
   Houston, Texas 77042-3030

   Internet: [email-masked]
   UUCP:     ...!uunet!imsl!smith

IMSL, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Dec 87 10:23 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Happy Holidays
To: [email-masked]
X-VMS-To: IN%"na%score.stanford.edu",SIAM        

HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND ALL THE BEST FOR THE NEW YEAR!

Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Dec 87 14:58:01 cst
From: [email-masked] (Dave Dodson)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Job Opportunity at CONVEX Computer Corp.

                 CONVEX COMPUTER CORPORATION

              Mathematical Software Development

Background: CONVEX Computer Corporation designs, develops,
manufactures, and markets affordable supercomputers for the
high-performance   engineering   and   scientific   computing
marketplace.  CONVEX's Optimization and Research Group is
chartered  with  producing  efficient,  robust  mathematical
software, usually in the form of subroutine libraries, that
can be incorporated into customers' FORTRAN programs to ease
program  development,  conversion,  and  optimization.   In
addition, the O&R Group serves a vital role as a company
resource in numerical analysis, program optimization, and
high-speed  scientific  computing.   CONVEX  is  currently
expanding the O&R Group in order to widen its areas of
expertise and broaden its software offering.

Responsibilities: Initially, the successful candidate will be
primarily  responsible  for  designing  and  developing  a
comprehensive software package for solving the sparse matrix
problems that result from applying the Finite Element Method.

Job Requirements: U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency.
Strong  background  in  numerical  analysis.   Expertise  in
numerical  linear  algebra  and  the  Finite  Element  Method.
Familiarity with FORTRAN.

Desired Experience: Five or more years experience in applying
computers  to  real  world  problems.   Familiarity  with
mathematical library software development.  Experience with
parallel or vector processors is a plus.  A working knowledge
of UNIX and an assembly language is desirable.

Education: Preference will be given to applicants with a Ph.D.
degree in a relevant discipline.

Special  Skills:  Excellent  interpersonal  and  communication
skills are required.  The applicant should be able to deal
directly  with  customers  to  determine  software  design
requirements and solve problems.

CONVEX is an equal opportunity employer.

Interested applicants should send a resume in confidence to,
or call:

        Dr. David S. Dodson
        CONVEX Computer Corporation
        701 North Plano Road
        Richardson, Texas 75081
        Phone: (214) 952-0234

------------------------------

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Proram Announcement for Computational Science and Engineering 
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 87 21:57:50 -0500
From:  Melvyn Ciment <[email-masked]>

National Science Foundation
Computer and Information Science and Engineering
Washington, DC 20550
November 30, 1987

Dear Colleague:

This letter is to inform you of the participation of the Directorate 
of Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE) in the
Opportunities for Research in Computational Science and Engineering
Program advertised in Program announcement NSF 86-91.   Computational
Science & Engineering (CSE) in CISE is an initiative based mainly in
two programs: New Technologies (NT) in the Division of Advanced
Scientific Computing, and Numeric and Symbolic Computation (NSC) in
the Division of Computer and Computation Research. NT supports efforts
which foster high performance computing; NSC encourages the design,
analysis, and synthesis of high quality software for scientific
research.  The CISE CSE initiative works closely with other similar
programs within the NSF to support appropriate research.

Computational Science and Engineering research is generated from
applications fields as a means of furthering the problem solving
necessary to accomplish scientific aims. A working definition of CSE
has been arrived at by a recent co-supported NSF/DOE workshop on a
National Computing Initiative (Raveche et al) which has identified 
the key features of computational science and engineering. They are
"...interdepartmental, drawing on expertise from mathematics and
computer  science,  but most effectively feeding on the driving
applications. Indeed, the history of large-scale engineering  and
scientific computing has shown that the most effective and novel
algorithms have  been developed in response to the need for the
solution  of specific problems."  Some examples are methods for
hyperbolic systems of conservation laws in aerodynamics, FFT's in
statistics, and finite element methods in structural  engineering.
These were all "...driven by large-scale  scientific computing,
because  the development  of the algorithms  was  necessary  for
solving these problems on the fastest machines of their times."

A principal goal of this activity is advanced computational research
through the contributions of interdisciplinary teams formed for that
purpose.  Although many of the efforts described below can be performed
by single investigators,  CSE emphasizes interdisciplinary approaches
to the high performance computing capabilities and environments.
Proposals involving scientists, engineers, mathematicians and computer
scientists, and specialists in such areas as visualization, database
research, and software engineering might be integrated in such a way as
to form an interdisciplinary group or team, addressing specific
problems of importance to one or more scientific or engineering
disciplines.  The product of the research may be new generic tools,
more powerful numerical models, more efficient codes,  novel avenues to
computing via parallelism, distributed computing, or other means, or
possibly entirely new approaches to scientific/engineering problems.
The program may also consider supporting, to the extent feasible with
currently available resources, Computational Science Centers as a means
of fostering larger  scale interdisciplinary efforts in high
performance computing.  This support will be coordinated among
appropriate NSF scientific and engineering disciplines.

It is expected that all fields of science and engineering requiring
high performance, numeric or symbolic computing will be represented in
the CISE CSE funding.  Submissions are encouraged in, but not limited
to, Computational Chemistry or Physics, Computational Fluid Dynamics,
Structural Engineering, Statistics, Signal or Image Processing,
Economics, and all disciplines whose applications needs are driven by
computing.  Computer Science research supporting generic tools for CS&E
is also encouraged.  The range of activities of these applications can
be in the following computational areas:

* Novel Computational Strategies
* Distributed and Parallel Processing and Vectorization
* Performance Evaluation
* New Algorithms for Scientific/Engineering Computing 
* Network and Communication Systems
* Visualization, Graphics and Image Processing 
* Advanced Technologies
* Software Engineering, Large Scale Scientific Databases

Target Date: In order to assure consideration in FY 88, proposals
should be received at the NSF no later than Friday, January 29, 1988.
Sincerely,

Charles N. Brownstein, Acting Assistant Director Computer and
Information Science and Engineering

For further information write or call Dr. Richard S. Hirsh,  Division
of Advanced Scientific Computing (202-357- 9776),  or Dr. B. F.
Caviness, Division of Computer and Computation Research
(202-357-7376).
E-Mail: [email-masked]
	[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 23 Dec 87 13:03 EST
From: <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Chair Applied Math. & Stat. Dept. Stony Brook
To: [email-masked]
X-Original-To:  [email-masked]

               State University of New York at Stony Brook
                       Stony Brook, NY 11794

                                          Reginald P. Tewarson
                                          Professor
                                          Applied Math & Stat
                                          632-8368/8360
                                          23-Dec-1987 12:55pm EST
FROM:  RTEWARSON

TO:  Remote Addressee                     ( [email-masked] )

SUBJECT: Chair Applied Math. & Stat. Dept. Stony Brook

cccc

                            CHAIR
       DEPARTMENT OF APPLIED MATHEMATICS AND STATISTICS
           COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND APPLIED SCIENCE

The University seeks a distinguished scholar to lead the further
development of the Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics. The
selected individual will be expected to expand and enrich the mathematical
sciences on the campus in cooperation with the chairs of the Departments of
mathematics and Computer Science and other mathematically oriented units.
Significant resources are available to assist the new chair. Applications
will be accepted until April 15, 1988 or until the position is filled.
Please send all nominations, applications and supporting materials
including names of referees to: Dr. Benjamin Walcott, Associate Provost,
State University of New York, Stony Brook, Long Island, New York,
11794-1401

The State University of New York at Stony Brook is an Equal Opportunity,
Affirmative Action Employer.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------