Subject: NA Digest V87 #58

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue 23 Jun 87 22:01:38 PDT

NA Digest   Tuesday, June 23, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 58

This weeks Editor: Gene Golub

Today's Topics:

                 UCLA meeting on Domain Decomposition
                  Moler & Kent substitute for Golub

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mail-From: MOLER created at 23-Jun-87 21:57:57
Date: Tue 23 Jun 87 21:57:57-PDT
From: Cleve Moler <[email-masked]>
Subject: UCLA meeting on Domain Decomposition
To: [email-masked]

               FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS

       2nd INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON DOMAIN DECOMPOSITION METHODS

               University of California, Los Angeles

                     January 14 - 16, 1988.

THEME

Domain Decomposition is a class of methods for solving mathematical physics
problems by decomposing the physical domain into smaller subdomains
and obtaining the solution by solving smaller problems on these subdomains.
The motivation may be: the ability to use different mathematical models
and approximation methods in different subdomains, use of fast direct
methods in subdomains, memory limitations of the computer and suitability
for implementation on parallel computers.  Applications can be found in
many areas of scientific computing, such as computational fluid dynamics
and structural mechanics.

This is a sequel to the First International Symposium on Domain Decomposition
Methods held in Paris in January, 1987.  The aim is to bring together
the leading researchers in this rapidly expanding and highly interdisciplinary
field to survey and review the progress that have been made since the last
symposium.  There will be approximately 25 invited papers and a small
contributed papers/poster session.  In selecting invited and contributed
papers, the organizational committee will try to keep a balance between the
mathematical development, the implementation on parallel computers and
applications.

ORGANIZATIONAL COMMITTEE

James Bramble (Cornell),
Tony F. Chan (UCLA),
Roland Glowinski (Houston/INRIA),
Olof Widlund (NYU)

OTHER RELATED CONFERENCES

The annual AIAA meeting will be held in Reno, Nevada in the beginning of
the same week.  The Third conference on Hypercube Concurrent Computers
and Applications will be held the following week (January 19-20, 1988)
in nearby Pasadena.

FURTHER INFORMATION

Further information will become available shortly. If you are interested
in participating in the symposium, please write to:

Prof. Tony F. Chan, Department of Mathematics, UCLA, 405 Hilgard Ave.,
Los Angeles, CA 90024. (Electronic mail: [email-masked])

------------------------------

Mail-From: MOLER created at 23-Jun-87 21:59:03
Date: Tue 23 Jun 87 21:59:03-PDT
From: Cleve Moler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Moler & Kent substitute for Golub
To: [email-masked]

Colleagues--

     As Gene indicated in a note last week, he and his portable
computer (a Zenith 181 -- a really nice machine) are off on a year-plus
long sabbatical.  While he is gone, I'll be acting as moderator for
the NA.NET.  Mark Kent, a Stanford CS grad student who has been assisting
Gene with some of the networking and administrative details, will be
even more help to me, since I don't know the Score operating system
very well.
     Before Gene left, he, Mark and I talked about how we would like
to see the Net evolve.  We all would like to see more contributions.
Personal items, problems, recommendations on equipment, software and
books, job opportunities, meeting and workshop announcements, and so on.
For example, a couple of months ago, Morven Gentleman described a
MacIntosh mathematical editing system that he particularly liked.
A few months before that, Alan Karp summarized a workshop he has been
to.  Both contributions represented informed opinion about topics
of potential interest to this community.  I'd like to see more
like them.
     As moderator, I'll intercept contributions that I judge to be
irrelevant, in bad taste, or blatantly commercial.  One rule used on
the Unix network seems to be a good one -- product announcements from
the companies originating the product are out of bounds, but product
critiques by disinterested users are welcome.  Submit contributions to

               [email-masked]

I plan to log to the Stanford system almost every day and, if there is
enough material, to send it out a couple of times per week.

     On a personal note, as many of you already knew, or saw from
Gene's announcement, I've recently changed jobs.  That's what brings
me close enough to SCORE.STANFORD to make it a local phone call.
I'm now with a Silicon Valley startup called Dana Computers.  We're
building what we call a "single user supercomputer" -- a merger of
a graphics workstation and, for a single user, a good fraction of
a supercomputer in vector floating point performance.  My title is
Manager of Scientific Software, but so far there is nobody else in
my group to manage.  I'll be working with the math libraries and
third party application packages.  I'll also be working a lot with
the compiler and graphics groups.  The machine will be terrific for
MATLAB, but that's beginning to sound too commercial.  If anybody
wants more information about either Dana or MATLAB/MathWorks, let me
know at [email-masked].

   --Cleve Moler

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------