Subject: NA Digest V87 #55

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu 11 Jun 87 17:59:29 PDT

NA Digest   Thursday, June 11, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 55

This weeks Editor: Gene Golub

Today's Topics:

                       Submission for nadigest
                           sabbatical leave

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mail-From: GOLUB created at 11-Jun-87 15:22:49
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 87 16:22:43 cdt
From: [email-masked] (Willard Miller)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Submission for nadigest
ReSent-Date: Thu 11 Jun 87 15:22:49-PDT
ReSent-From: Gene H. Golub  <[email-masked]>
ReSent-To: [email-masked]

              INSTITUTE FOR MATHEMATICS AND ITS APPLICATIONS
                       University of Minnesota
                            514 Vincent Hall
                          206 Church Street S.E.
                        Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455
 (612)624-6066                                 [email-masked]
 Avner Friedman, Director                      [email-masked]
 Willard Miller, Associate Director

                            Summer Program on
                                 ROBOTICS
                            August 3 - 28, 1987

              Organizing Committee: J. T. Schwartz (Chairman) 
                 R. Brockett, J. Hopcroft, T. Lozano-Perez
 
                       Tentative Schedule as of June 12

                        ALL LECTURES IN VINCENT HALL 570

                         ******************************

                        WEEK 1       August 3 -7  
                     Introduction to Robotics: An Overview

 MONDAY, August 3    
  9:00 am - 10:30    J. T. Schwartz                  Courant Institute  
                     Some mathematical questions suggested by robotics:                      
                     I. Some problems of grasping 
  11:00 am - noon    Matt Mason             Carnegie Mellon University  
                     Robotic Manipulation:  An Introduction. I    
   2:00 pm - 3:30    Chris Hoffman                   Purdue University   
                     Blending surfaces   
 TUESDAY, August 4   
 9:00 am - 10:30     J. T. Schwartz                  Courant Institute  
                     Some mathematical questions suggested by robotics:                        
                     II. Peg-in-Hole insertion 
 11:00 am - noon     Matt Mason             Carnegie Mellon University  
                     Robotic Manipulation:  An Introduction. II    
  2:00 pm - 3:30     Chris Hoffman                  Purdue University   
                     Notions of computation in geometry                 
 WEDNESDAY, August 5 
  9:00 am - 10:30    J. T. Schwartz                   Courant Institute  
                     Some mathematical questions suggested by robotics:                        
                     III. Complexity of motion planning 
 11:00 am - noon     Matt Mason              Carnegie Mellon University  
                     Robotic Manipulation:  An Introduction. IIII    
  2:00 pm - 3:30     Chris Hoffman                    Purdue University   
                     Geometry and physical simulation                 
 THURSDAY, August 6 
 9:00 am - 10:30     J. T. Schwartz                  Courant Institute  
                     Some mathematical questions suggested by robotics:                        
                     IV. Some issues in control 
  2:00 pm - 3:30     Chris Brown                University of Rochester  
                     Introduction and overview of computer vision.                   
                     Issues, approaches, systems, vocabulary 
 FRIDAY, August 7 
 10:30 am - noon     Chris Brown                University of Rochester  
                     Introduction and overview of computer vision. II                 
  2:00 pm - 3:30     Chris Brown                University of Rochester  
                     Introduction and overview of computer vision. III                  
 
                     ******************************
 
                           WEEK 2              August 10 - 14                        
                     Computer Vision and Other Sensors 
                     Organizer: C. Brown
 
 MONDAY, August 10    
 10:30 am - noon    Steve Shafer             Carnegie Mellon University  
                    Input -- cameras, optical phenomena in CV.                         
                    Generalized cylinder results and 3-D shape inference  
  2:00 pm - 3:30    Steve Shafer             Carnegie Mellon University  
                    continuation of morning talk                 
 TUESDAY, August 11   
 10:30 am - noon    Demetri Terzopolous         Schlumberger, Palo Alto 
                    Visual modeling.  
                    The computation of visible-surface representations  
  2:00 pm - 3:30    Demetri Terzopolous         Schlumberger, Palo Alto 
                    Signal matching.                   
                    Recovering 3D shape and non-rigid motion from images 
                    using deformable models  

 WEDNESDAY, August 12 
 10:30 am - noon    John Aloimonos                University of Maryland  
                    Structure from Motion   
  2:00 pm - 3:30    John Aloimonos                University of Maryland  
                    Structure from Motion. II   
 THURSDAY, August 13 
 10:30 am - noon    Robert Hummel                      Courant Institute  
                    Representations from zero crossings. 
                    Associated algorithms.  Survey of connectionism  
  2:00 pm - 3:30    Robert Hummel                      Courant Institute  
                    continuation of morning talk                   
 FRIDAY, August 14 
 10:30 am - noon    Robert Haralick             University of Washington  
                    Facet model or other technical work. 
                    Mathematical status of computer vision 
                    (with technical examples)    
  2:00 pm - 3:30    Robert Haralick             University of Washington  
                    continuation of morning talk                     

                     ******************************  
 
                           WEEK 3              August 17 - 21                       
                     Robot Manipulation (Kinematics/Control)  
                     Organizer: M. Mason
 
 MONDAY, August 17    
 10:30 am - noon    John Hollerbach                                MIT  
                    Robot dynamics. I 
  2:00 pm - 3:30    Roger Brockett                             Harvard   
                    Compliance control 
 TUESDAY, August 18   
 10:30 am - noon    John Hollerbach                                MIT   
                    Robot dynamics. II                 
  2:00 pm - 3:30    Mike McCarthy    University  of California, Irvine  
                    Rigid body kinematics, and the kinematics  
                    of two robot arms cooperating to manipulate 
                    a common object   

 WEDNESDAY, August 19 
  2:00 pm - 3:30    Mike McCarthy    University  of California, Irvine  
                    continuation of Tuesday talk                 
  2:00 pm - 3:30    Roger Brockett                             Harvard    
                    Grasping and manipulation                   
 THURSDAY, August 20 
 10:30 am - noon    Tomas Lozano-Perez                             MIT  
                    Robot systems that sense, plan, and manipulate    
  2:00 pm - 3:30    Matt Mason              Carnegie Mellon University  
                    Mechanics and planning of manipulator pushing 
                    operations  
 FRIDAY, August 21 
 10:30 am - noon    Tomas Lozano-Perez                             MIT  
                    Motion planning and automatic robot programming              
  2:00 pm - 3:30    Matt Mason              Carnegie Mellon University  
                    An exploration of sensorless manipulation                     
 
                    ******************************
 
                           WEEK 4              August 24 - 28                       
                    Computational Issues in Geometry
                    Organizer: C. Hoffman
 
 MONDAY, August 24    
  9:30 am - 10:30   Bruno Buchberger  Johannes Kepler Universitat Linz       
                    Grobner Bases:  
                    A Tutorial on the Mathematical Background of the 
                    Method   
 11:00 am - noon    Micha Sharir       Courant Institute/Tel Aviv Univ 
                    On problems in computational geometry  
                    related to efficient motion planning with few 
                    degrees of freedom  
  2:00 pm - 3:00    John Owen                          Shape Data Ltd.  
                    To be announced                 
 TUESDAY, August 25   
  9:30 am - 10:30   Bruno Buchberger  Johannes Kepler Universitat Linz        
                    Grobner Bases:  
                    Applications in Non-Linear Computational Geometry    
 11:00 am - noon    Micha Sharir       Courant Institute/Tel Aviv Univ              
                    Davenport-Schinzel sequences and their geometric 
                    applications   
  2:00 pm - 3:00    John Owen                          Shape Data Ltd.  
                    To be announced                 
 WEDNESDAY, August 26 
  9:30 am - 10:30   Deepak Kapur                      General Electric                    
                    Algebraic Reasoning for Object Construction from 
                    Ideal Images. I  
 11:00 am - noon    Chris Gibson               University of Liverpool                    
                    To be announced  
  2:00 pm - 3:00    Deepak Kapur                      General Electric                    
                    Algebraic Reasoning for Object Construction from 
                    Ideal Images. II  
 THURSDAY, August 27                                                                
  9:30 am - 10:30   John Reif                          Duke University    
                    Complexity of Robot Movement Planning. I 
  2:00 pm - 3:00    Kokichi Sugihara               University of Tokyo 
                    Algebraic and combinatorial structures of lined 
                    drawings and polyhedrons   
 FRIDAY, August 28 
  9:30 am - 10:30   John Reif                          Duke University     
                    Complexity of Robot Movement Planning. II 
  2:00 pm - 3:00    Kokichi Sugihara               University of Tokyo 
                    An approach to error-free solid modelling    

------------------------------

Mail-From: GOLUB created at 11-Jun-87 15:35:39
Date: Thu 11 Jun 87 15:35:38-PDT
From: Gene H. Golub  <[email-masked]>
Subject: sabbatical leave
To: [email-masked]

I shall be away from Stanford for at least a year beginning June 20, 1987.
>From July 13, 1987 until mid September, I'll be at Bell Labs. Then
from Oct. 1 on, I shall be at the University of Maryland. Electronic mail
which is sent to Stanford will automatically be forwarded to me.

NA-net will continue to run with the help of Cleve Moler and Mark Kent.
Here is Cleve's current address and affiliation.

>Moler, Cleve
*FNAME	Cleve B. Moler
*TITLES	Manager, Scientific Software
*OADDR	
*	Dana Computer
*	550 Del Rey Ave.
*	Sunnyvale, CA 94086
*	
*OPHONE	(408) 732-0400
*INTERESTS 
*	Numerical analysis, Mathematical software, Matrix
*	computation, Large scale scientific computation, Graphics.
*	

And here's my office address and e-mail address.

computer account:	[email-masked]
office address:		2c-455, at&t bell laboratories, murray hill, nj 07974
phone #:		201-582-3720

Best regards,
Gene Golub

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------