Subject: NA Digest V87 #50

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu 28 May 87 08:28:37 PDT

NA Digest   Thursday, May 28, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 50

This weeks Editor: Gene Golub

Today's Topics:

                        Workshop announcement

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mail-From: GOLUB created at 28-May-87 08:26:19
Date:     Thu, 28 May 87 10:51 EST
From: <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Workshop announcement
To: [email-masked]
X-Original-To:  [email-masked], EWEGMAN
ReSent-Date: Thu 28 May 87 08:26:18-PDT
ReSent-From: Gene H. Golub  <[email-masked]>
ReSent-To: [email-masked]

             ARO-GMU WORKSHOP ON COMPUTATIONAL STATISTICS

     A Workshop on Computational Statistics sponsored jointly jointly by the
Army Research Office and George Mason University is planned for June 3 and 4,
1987.  The Workshop will focus on cutting edge research on methods and
techniques of statistics which require contemporary computing resources to
make them feasible.  Topics will include high interaction graphics, parallel
architectures, time series methods, bootstrapping, high dimensional analysis,
density estimation and image processing as examples of these methodologies.

     The Workshop will be held on the campus of George Mason University
located in Fairfax County, Virginia, a suburb of Washington, DC.  George
Mason is a relatively new university in the state system of Virginia. Local
industry has spearedheaded an effort by the State of Virginia to develop
George Mason University as a major research university which is able to support
the high tech interests in the Washington Metro area.  George Mason University
established a new engineering school in the Autumn of 1985 under the name of
School of Information Technology and Engineering.  In June of 1986, A Center
for Computational Statistics and Probability was established in that School.

     The Workshop will be held in the Student Union Building II in rooms
5, 6, and 7 on June 3 and 4.  Registration will begin at 8:30 a.m. on June 3rd
and continue through the duration of the Workshop.  Sessions will begin
at 9 a.m. on June 3 and 8:30 a.m. on June 4.  Registration fee will be $30.
A detailed program is attached.

     The Washington metro area is served by two airports.  Washington National
is located in Arlington, VA and Dulles International Airport spans western
Fairfax and eastern Loudoun County, VA.  Most long distance flights arrive
at Dulles.  George Mason University is located about midway between the two.
Dulles airport is on Route 28.  George Mason can be reached by auto by going
South on Route 28 to Route 50, east on Route 50 to Route 123, and South again
on Route 123 about 3 miles.  From National Airport , follow the George
Washington Parkway to Interstate 395, follow I-395 South to I-495, follow I-495
West to Braddock Road, follow Braddock Road West about 6 miles to the
University.  The University is located at the intersection of Braddock Road
and Route 123.

     Rooms are available at the Quality Inn Fairfax City, 11180 Main Street,
Fairfax for a single rate of $45.50. Phone (703) 591-5900.  Rooms are
available at the Courtyard by Marriott, 11220 Main Street, Fairfax for a
single rate of $64.00.  Phone (800) 321-2211 and ask for the Courtyard by
Marriott - Fair Oaks.  In both cases mention the ARO-GMU Workshop.  Parking will
be provided on campus in Lot B.

     Dining facilities are available in both hotels.  We have booked the
faculty dining room in the University on both days.  We have planned
an optional group lunch on both days so that speakers and attendees have
an opportunity to have relaxed discussions.  The cost of lunch will be about
$6 to $7 depending on how many decide to eat lunch in the group.  The lunches
will be catered by Marriott.  Dining facilities nearby are limited particularly
for those without automobiles.  We recommend participating in the group lunch.
It is important to provide an early head count to the catering service so please
check the appropriate spots on the registration form.  Local arrangements are
being handled by Dr. Ed Wegman at (703) 323-2723, Bitnet address: EWEGMAN@GUMVAX
Usenet address: ewegman!gmu90x.

                                    PROGRAM

                                  June 3, 1987

8:30          Registration

9:00 a.m.     Welcoming Remarks
                    Dr. Wade Gilley, Senior Vice President, GMU

                    Dr. Andrew Sage, Dean, School of Information Technology
                     and Engineering

                    Dr. Jag Chandra, Director, Mathematical Sciences Division,
                     Army Research Office

9:30 a.m.     "Computational Statistics versus Statistical Computing,"
                    Edward J. Wegman, George Mason University

10:30 a.m.    "Examples of Modern Statistical Problems and their Graphical
               and Computational Requirements,"
                    Jim Wendelberger, Urban Science Applications

11:30 a.m.    Lunch

1:00 p.m.      "Computational Issues and Examples in Multivariate Density
              Estimation,"
                   David W. Scott, Rice University

2:00 p.m.     Break

2:15 p.m.     "Computational Aspects of Log-Linear Models,"
                   G. W. Stewart, University of Maryland

3:15 p.m.     "The Monkey Test for Random Numbers,"
                   Jayaram Sethuraman and George Marsaglia, Florida State

                             June 4, 1987

8:30 a.m.      "Tuning a Major Part of a Clustering Algorithm,"
                   John Tukey and Katherine M. Hansen, Princeton University

9:30 a.m.     "Computational Statistics and Functional Statistics,"
                   Emanual Parzen, Texas A and M University

10:30 a.m.    Break

10:45 a.m.    "Computational Aspects of Estimation of Markov Fields and
               Image Processing,"
                   Don McClure, Brown University

11:45 a.m.    Lunch

1:15 p.m.     "Self Critical Data Analysis,"
                   Albert Paulson, Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute

2:15 p.m.     Break

2:30 p.m.     "Recent Results in Combinatorial Reliability Analysis,"
                   Michael Ball, University of Maryland

==============================================================================

                              REGISTRATION FORM
                    WORKSHOP ON COMPUTATIONAL STATISTICS

Tiltle_____________________ Name____________________________________________

Institution_________________________________________________________________

Department__________________________________________________________________

Address_____________________________________________________________________

City, State and Zipcode_____________________________________________________

Phone and Email Address_____________________________________________________

Will you stay for both days (if not indicate which)_________________________

Any special needs?__________________________________________________________

Registration Fee Enclosed_________________Will pay at registration__________
Make checks payable to GMU Center for Computational Statistics

I plan to participate in the group lunch on June 3_______ on June 4_________

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------