Subject: NA Digest V87 #48

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon 25 May 87 10:34:21 PDT

NA Digest   Monday, May 25, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 48

This weeks Editor: Gene Golub

Today's Topics:

                            PDE Symposium

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 24 May 87 21:14:12 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: PDE Symposium
To: [email-masked]

==============================================================================
*         ANNOUNCEMENT         AND         REGISTRATION         FORM         *
==============================================================================
* SIXTH IMACS  INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM  * *  ON COMPUTER  METHODS FOR  PARTIAL
DIFFERENTIAL * * EQUATIONS * * at Lehigh University , Bethlehem , PA * *  June
23-25                      ,                      1987                       *
==============================================================================
This symposium  deals with  modern  developments in  the solution  of  partial
differential equations  using computers.   One  of the  focal points  is  that
concerning those recent advances in  vector and parallel computers and  modern
numerical software which have made possible the solution of problems that only
a few years ago were condidered intractable.  The scientific program  contains
contributions to  this  important  line  of  development  in  computation  and
computational mathematics.  It  consists of Contributed  Papers Sessions ,  of
Organized Sessions  on  specific  topics  and  includes  a  Mini-Symposium  on
Computational Fluid Dynamics.

Hard cover proceedings are in press, and should be available to the attendees
at the symposium.
==============================================================================
REGISTRATION : June 23 , 8:00 to 9:15 am,(in Neville Hall where an information
desk will be maintained during most of the duration of the conference 
tel :(215) 758-4264.)
==============================================================================
OPENING SESSION : June 23 , 9:15 to 9:45 in Neville Auditorium l.

ORGANIZED SESSIONS (name of the organizer in parentheses)

- Algorithms and mathematical software for vector and parallel computers
                                                             (David R. Kincaid)
-  Solution of PDE's on vector and parallel processors (Kirk  E. Jordan)
-  Modern numerical methods for elliptic equations (John R. Rice)
-  Domain decomposition and preconditioning methods (W. Proskurowski)
-  Finite element methods(A.K.Aziz)
-  Stability paradoxes in numerical methods for nonlinear PDE's 
                                                          (E.E. Rosinger)
-  Numerical method of lines (G.D. Byrne)
-  Numerical wave propagation (R. Vichnevetsky)
-  Hyperbolic equations ( M. Witten)

MINISYMPOSIUM ON COMPUTATIONAL FLUID DYNAMICS
Organizer : Y. M. Hussaini
ORGANIZED SESSIONS (name of the organizer in parentheses)

- Parallel computation methods (Shahid H. Bokhari)
- Solution of stiff equations (J. Philip Drummond)
- Computational Aerodynamics (Charles L. Merckle)
- Unsteady compressible flows (Rainald Loehner)
- Transonic flows (Manuel D. Salas)
- Transition and turbulence (Thomas A. Zang)
==============================================================================
AUTHORS AND CO-AUTHORS (TENTATIVE LIST)

Abdallah, S.  (Pennsylvania State Univ.)  Ablowitz, M. (Clarkson) Avitzur, B.
(Lehigh Univ.)  Baker, G.  (Exxon Research) Bayliss, A.  (Northwestern Univ.)
Beiterman, M.  (Boeing Computer) Benner, R. E.  (Sandia Nat.  Labs) Bond,
R.A.B.  (Univ.  of Natal-SOUTH AFRICA) Borgers, C.  (Univ.  of California)
Bramble, J. H.  (Cornell University) Brown, P. N.  (Univ. of Houston) Byrne,
G. D.  (Exxon Research) Cahlon, B.  (Oakland Univ.)  Canuto, C.  (C.N.R.-
ITALY) Carver, M.  B.  (Chalk River Nuclear Labs - Canada) Castillo, J.  E.
(Univ. of New Mexico) Caughey, D.  A.  (Cornell Univ.)  Chang, J.  L.  C.
(Rockwell Int'l.)  Cohen, G.  (INRIA-FRANCE) Colella, P.  (LLNL) Colombeau, J.
F.  (Bordeaux Univ.-FRANCE) Daripa, P. K.  (Courant Inst.-NYU) Diaz, J.  C.
(Univ.  of Oklahoma) Erlebacher, G.  (NASA Langley Res. Cntr.)  Evans, D.  J.
(Univ.  of Technology-Loughborough-GREAT BRITAIN) Farran, H.  (Calif.  State
Polytechnic Univ.)  Fauci, L. J.  (Tulane Univ.)  Flaherty, J. E.  (Rennselaer
Inst. of Tech.)  Goldstein, C.  (Brookhaven Nat.  Lab) Goldstein, J.  A.
(Tulane University) Gresho, P.M.  (LLNL) Grove, J. W.  (Courant Inst.-NYU)
Gunzburger, M.  (Carnegie Mellon Univ.)  Guo, B.  (Univ. of Maryland) Hafez,
M.  (Univ. of California-Davis) Hager, W.  (Pennsylvania State Univ.)  Haimo,
D. T.  (Univ. of Missouri) Hindmarsh, A. C.  (LLNL) Houstis, E. N.  (Purdue
Univ.)  Hrymak, A. N.  (McMaster Univ.-CANADA) Hsiao, G.  (Univ. of Delaware)
Hyman, J. M.  (Los Alamos Nat. Lab) Ipsen, I.  (Yale Univ.)  Jackson, K.  R.
(Univ.  of Toronto-CANADA) Johnsson, L.  (Yale Univ.)  Jones, J. Jr.  (Air
Force Inst.  of Tech.)  Jordan, K.  E.  (Exxon Research) Jorge, M.  C.
(IIMAS-UNAM-MEXICO) Kanniappan, P.  (Gandhigram Rural Inst.-INDIA)
Karniadakis, G.  (M.I.T.)  Kaufman, L.  C.  (AT&T Bell Labs) Kee, R.  J.
(Sandia National Lab) Keyes, D.  (Yale Station) Kincaid, D.  R.  (Univ.  of
Texas-Austin) Koniges, A.  E.  (LLNL) Kupershmidt, B. A.  (UTSI) Lamson, S.
(General Electric Co.)  Lohner, R.  (Berkeley Res. Assoc.)  Majda, G.  J.(Ohio
State) Marinescu, D.  (Purdue Univ.)  Martin, W.  R.  (Univ.  of Michigan)
McCoy, P.  A.  (U.S.  Naval Academy) McDonald, E.  B.  (NSTL) Merkle, C.  L.
(Pennsylvania State Univ.)  Mhuiris, N.  Mac Giolla (NASA Langley Res.  Cntr.)
Minkoff, M.  (Argonne Nat. Lab) Moretti, G.  (G.M.A.F. Inc.)  Murthy, C.  Siva
Ram (Indian Inst.  of Sci.-INDIA) Naik, V.  (Duke Univ.)  Nicolaides, R.  A.
(Carnegie Mellon Univ.)  Niemiec, W.  (Silesian Tech. Univ.-POLAND) Nodera, T.
(Stanford Univ.)  Oharu, S.  (Hiroshima Univ.-JAPAN) Osborn, J.  (Univ.  of
Maryland) Pandolfi, M.  (Politecnico Di Torino-ITALY) Pasciak, J.  E.
(Brookhaven Nat. Lab) Patera, A.  (Massachuseets Inst.  of Tech.)  Petzold, L.
(LLNL) Pierce, A. D.  (Georgia Inst. of Tech.)  Pratt, D. T.  (Propulsion Res.
Inst.)  Proskurowski, W.  (Univ.  So.  California) Radhakrishnan, K.  (NASA
Lewis Res. Cntr.)  Resasco, D. C.  (Yale Univ.)  Ribben, C. J.  (Purdue Univ.)
Rice, J. R.  (Purdue Univ.)  Richter, G. (Rutgers University) Rosinger, E.  E.
(Univ. of Pretoria -SA) Sakell, L.  (Naval Research Lab) Salane, D.  E.
(Sandia Nat. Labs) Saltz, J.  (Yale Univ.)  Scapolla, T.  (Univ. of Maryland)
Schieffer, J.  (Carnegie Mellon Univ.)  Schiesser, W. E.  (Lehigh Univ.)
Schonauer, W.  (Univ.  Karlsruhe- GERMANY) - Sedin, Yngve C-J (SAAB-SWEDEN)
Sincovec, R. F.  (Univ.  of Colorado) Sod, G. A.  (Tulane Univ.)  Solomon, J.
M.  (White Oak Lab) Sorensen, D.  C.  (Argonne Nat. Lab.)  Studzinski, J.
(Polish Acad. of Sci.-POLAND) Suri, M.  (Univ. of Maryland) Swiniarski, R.
(Univ. of Alabama) Szabo, B. A.  (Washington University) Taha, T. R.  (Univ.
of Georgia) Thompson, S.  (Oak Ridge Nat.  Lab) Verhoff, A.  (McDonnell
Aircraft Co.)  Vichnevetsky, R. (Rutgers University) Volpe, G.  (Grumman Corp.
Res. Cntr.)  White, A. B.  Jr.  (Los Alamos Nat.  Lob) Witten, M.  (Univ.  of
Louisville) Wu, X-F (Georgia Inst.  of Tech.)  Xanthis, L. S.  (Polytechnic
Central London-ENGLAND) Xu, Y-H (Lehigh Univ.)  Young, D.  M.  (Boeing
Computer Services) Zalesak, S.  T.  (NRL)
==============================================================================

LOCAL HOTELS AND MOTELS

With the exception of Lehigh University Residence Halls , attendees are  asked
to make their own arrangements.  Generally, special rates have been quoted for
visitors to Lehigh University.  Therefore, attendees should indicate that they
are attending the IMACS Symposium at Lehigh.  The indicated rates generally do
not include taxes, and also, may be  subject to small increases after June  1,
1987.

The Hotel Bethlehem is a pleasant l5-minute walk from the Lehigh campus.   All
other hotels and motels require a car.

     Hotel Bethlehem		Single:  $50.00
     437 Main Street		Double:  $60.00
     Bethlehem, PA  18018
     (215) 867-3711

     Holiday Inn Bethlehem	Single:  $54.00
     Routes 22 and 512  	Double:  $60.00
     Bethlehem, PA  l80l8@*
     (215) 866-5800

     McIntosh Inn		Single:  $26.45
     l70l Catasauqua Road 	Double:  $33.87
     Allentown, PA  l8l03
     (215) 264-7531

     Econo Lodge		Single:  $27.95
     Route 22 & Airport Road    Double:  $34.00
     Bethlehem, PA  l8l03
     (215) 867-8681

     Days Inn			Single:  $29.99
     l5th St. & Route 22	Double:  $36.99
     Allentown, PA  l8l05
     (215) 534-7880

     Red Roof Inn		Single:  $29.95
     1846 Catasauqua Road	Double:  $34.94
     Allentown, PA  l8l03       Three or more:  $36.95

     Coachaus Hotel		Small hotel with
     107 North 8th. Street      elegantly furnished
     Allentown, PA  18103 	rooms
     (215)  821-4854

     Salisbury House		Bed and breakfast in
     9l0 East Emmaus Ave.	an old, historic home
     Allentown, PA  l8l03
     (215) 791-4225

LEHIGH UNIVERSITY RESIDENCE HALLS

Air conditioned apartments in Trembley  and Brodhead Houses consisting of  two
single bedrooms and one  double bedroom, with a  small living room and  shared
bath.  Both Trembley and Brodhead are near University dining rooms, and within
an easy walk of the Symposium meeting rooms.

          $23.00/person for three-person occupancy
          $19.50/person for four-person occupancy

Additional information  is  available  by  calling  the  University  Residence
Operations, (215)  758-3500.   Ms. Karen  M.  Anselmin will  be  handling  the
accommodations for the Symposium, (215) 758-3510.

Inquiries concerning the local arrangements may be directed to:

            Prof. W. E. Schiesser
            Whitaker Lab. #5, Lehigh University
            Bethlehem, PA  l80l5
            (215) 758-4264 (during working hours)

TRANSPORTATION

Lehigh University is located approximately midway between Philadelphia and New
York.  Bethlehem is  served by the  Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton (ABE)  Airport,
which is a 10 minute  drive from the Hotel  Bethlehem, and the Lehigh  campus.
ABE Airport  is served  by Eastern,  US Air  and United,  as well  as  several
commuter lines.  Van service is available to the Hotel Bethlehem by calling on
a special telephone from the Airport.  Several major car rental companies also
have facilities at the ABE Airport.

==============================================================================
                        REGISTRATION FORM

Name and Mailing Address ................................................

.........................................................................

.........................................................................

.........................................................................

Telephone :..................................

Symposium Fee (includes one copy of the Proceedings and Conference Dinner on
June 23) :

- if mailed on or before June 10 .....................................$ 200.- 
- if mailed after june 10 ............................................$ 220.-
Full time students (with verification - does not include Proceedings 
or Conference Dinner) :...............................................$  15.-

Note : To benefit of the reduced fee, this form must be mailed no later than
June 10, with payment of at least of at least 25% of the amount due enclosed) 

Check in  the  amount of  $__________  enclosed  (will pay  remainder  at  the
conference)

Date :___________________Signature :________________________

Make all checks payable to IMACS

===============================================================================

Request for Lodging at University Residences :

Shared room at $ -----------a night   Arrival date :______________________

                                      Departure date :____________________

Special requests : _______________________________________________________

Mail to         Prof. W.E. Schiesser
         	Whitaker Lab. # 5, Lehigh University
        	Bethlehem, PA, 18015,   USA

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------