Subject: NA Digest V87 #42

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun 17 May 87 21:54:18 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, May 17, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 42

This weeks Editor: Gene Golub

Today's Topics:

                Argonne's class on parallel computing

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 14:09:22 cdt
From: [email-masked] (Jack Dongarra)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Argonne's class on parallel computing

     Argonne National Laboratory has set up an Advanced Computing 
Research Facility (ACRF) for the study of parallel computing.  It 
currently features an 8-processor Alliant FX/8, a 20-processor 
Encore Multimax, a 24-processor Sequent Balance 21000, a 
32-processor Intel iPSC hypercube machine, and a 16-processor Intel
iPSC hypercube with vector processors.  Local projects utilizing 
the ACRF include investigations in parallel logic programming and 
parallel linear algebra and the development of portable parallel 
programming methodologies.

   To encourage use of the ACRF as a national user facility,
Argonne is sponsoring various classes to familiarize potential
users with the ACRF multiprocessors and with parallel programming 
in general.  The next class will be held on June 17 - 19 and another
July 22 - 24.  The first two days will cover parallel programming 
on the Alliant, Encore, Sequent, and Intel computers; the third day 
will be devoted to consideration of each attendee's particular project.  
Fortran will be emphasized as the primary programming language, although 
C will be discussed.  This will be a hands-on class; at its completion 
participants will have written and run a number of programs on each 
machine, and should be familiar with the ACRF environment.

   Those interested in the June or July class should contact

     Teri Huml
     Mathematics and Computer Science Division
     Argonne National Laboratory
     Argonne, IL  60439-4844

     (312) 972-7163
     [email-masked]

There will be no charge for this class, nor is any financial support
for attendees available.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------