Subject: NA Digest V87 #39

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu 30 Apr 87 18:10:20 PDT

NA Digest   Thursday, April 30, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 39

This weeks Editor: Gene Golub

Today's Topics:

                         Wilkinson Fellowship

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Apr 87 22:27:26 cdt
From: [email-masked] (Jack Dongarra)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Wilkinson Fellowship

             WILKINSON FELLOWSHIP IN COMPUTATIONAL MATHEMATICS

                 Mathematics and Computer Science Division

                        Argonne National Laboratory

     Argonne National Laboratory is seeking outstanding candidates  in  the
general  area  of  computational mathematics to fill the newly created J.H.
Wilkinson Fellowship in Computational Mathematics.

     This fellowship was created in memory of Dr.  James  Hardy  Wilkinson,
F.R.S., who for many years had a close association with the Mathematics and
Computer Science Division at Argonne, where he acted as  a  consultant  and
guiding spirit for such efforts as the EISPACK and LINPACK projects.

     The J.H. Wilkinson Fellowship is intended to  encourage  young  scien-
tists  who  are  actively  engaged in state-of-the-art research in computa-
tional mathematics-including, but  not  limited  to,  the  development  and
implementation  of  numerical algorithms for linear algebra.  The candidate
must have earned (or be about to earn) a Ph.D.  degree  or  the  equivalent
during the past five years and should have a strong background in numerical
computation.  The candidate should also be interested in expanding into the
area  of  advanced  computing research.  Argonne's Mathematics and Computer
Science Division has  strong  programs  in  computational  mathematics  and
advanced  computing,  as  well  as  in  software  engineering  and  applied
analysis.

     This one-year appointment includes salary (starting at $45,000; higher
with  experience),  moving  expenses,  and  a  generous professional travel
allotment.  Applications from qualified candidates, as well as  nominations
for  the  position  of  Wilkinson  Fellow,  should  be addressed to Jack J.
Dongarra, Mathematics  and  Computer  Science  Division,  Argonne  National
Laboratory,  Argonne,  Illinois  60439-4844.  Applications should include a
resume and a statement of research goals, and the  names  of  three  refer-
ences.   The  closing  date for applications is June 1, 1987.  The applica-
tions will be reviewed during June 1987 by an international selection  com-
mittee.  The position will commence during 1988.

     Further inquiries can be made by calling 312-972-7163  or  by  sending
electronic-mail to [email-masked].

     Argonne is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------
-------