Subject: NA Digest V87 #25

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon 23 Mar 87 21:17:22 PST

NA Digest   Monday, March 23, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 25

This weeks Editor: Gene Golub

Today's Topics:

                    parallel computation workshop

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Mar 87 14:57:08 MST
From: Bobby Schnabel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: parallel computation workshop
ReSent-Date: Mon 23 Mar 87 20:53:04-PST
ReSent-From: Gene H. Golub  <[email-masked]>
ReSent-To: [email-masked]

Gene,

  Could you please distribute the following announcement to the nanet
mailing list.  It announces a two-week workshop in parallel computation
to be held this June at the University of Colorado.  It is intended
to introduce computer science students to the use of and research
issues in parallel computation.  We expect that it will be an excellent
experience for those students who are chosen to attend.

   Thanks for your assistance, and best wishes

        Bobby Schnabel

****************************************************************************

             SUMMER WORKSHOP IN PARALLEL COMPUTATION
                     UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
                   (Preliminary Announcement)

The Department of Computer Science  and  the  Academic  Computing
Center  will  hold a two-week Workshop in Parallel Computation on
the campus of the University of Colorado from 15 June 1987 to  26
June  1987.  The Workshop will consist of lectures by leading ex-
perts in parallel computation and laboratory work on local memory
and shared memory multiprocessors. The tentative list of speakers
includes Jim Browne (U. Texas), Oliver  McBryan  (Courant  Insti-
tute),  James  McGraw  (Livermore),  Cleve  Moler  (Intel), Danny
Sorensen (Argonne), David Waltz (Thinking Machines), Harry Jordan
(U.  Colorado),  Gary  Nutt  (U.  Colorado),  Bobby  Schnabel (U.
Colorado).  Lectures will cover a broad range of topics including
languages,  architectures,  numerical  and non-numerical applica-
tions.  The Workshop is intended for graduate students and recent
PhD's  in  computer  science as well as a smaller number of espe-
cially promising undergraduate students.   It  is  expected  that
these participants will bring with them a project to be worked on
during the laboratory sessions.

Participants may receive a stipend of approximately $500, the ex-
act  amount  depending  on the estimated costs of the workshop to
the participant and his or her need for support. The selection of
participants  will depend on the following criteria: brief state-
ment of research activities and interests; two letters of  recom-
mendation;  transcript  of  grades;  and, description of parallel
computation project for the Workshop.

It is anticipated that this workshop will be supported in part by
the  Office of Advanced Scientific Computing of the National Sci-
ence Foundation.

Inquiries should be addressed to:

        Professor Lloyd Fosdick
        Department of Computer Science
        Campus Box 430
        University of Colorado
        Boulder, CO 80309
        (303) 492-7507, [email-masked] (csnet)

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------