Subject: NA Digest V87 #14

From: NA Digest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue 10 Mar 87 23:38:17 PST

NA Digest   Tuesday, March 10, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 14

This weeks Editor: Gene Golub

Today's Topics:

                        HELP: software needed!
                             SPIE Program
                             Gatlinburg.
                          Re:  announcement

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 87 10:29:47 CST
From: [email-masked] (Jim Daniel)
Posted-Date: Tue, 10 Mar 87 10:29:47 CST
To: [email-masked]
Subject: HELP: software needed!

As soon as possible I need to locate anya nd all numerical methods
books and associated or related software written in BASIC. That's
right, in BASIC. Something in the style of Forsythe/Malcolm/Moler
would be nice, especially as regards its programs. 
Anybody know of any good methods books that use BASIC?
Anybody know of any appropriate software using BASIC?

Please let me hear any suggestions soon.

Jim Daniel
na.daniel@SU-SCORE
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 87 15:13:24 EST
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SPIE Program

SPIE Conference on 

Advanced Algorithms and Architectures for Signal Processing II

Tues. 8/18/87 - Wed. 8/19/87.    San Diego, CA.

Organizing Committee:  Franklin Luk, George Cybenko, John McWhirter,
                       Jeffrey Speiser  

Papers:
1.  Numerical Linear Algebra on the Cedar Multiprocessor
    Ahmed Sameh
2.  The Systolic QRD Algorithm - A Brief Review
    John G McWhirter
3.  A Novel MVDR Beamforming Algorithm
    Adam Bojanczyk and Franklin Luk
4.  Comparison of real and complex baseband processing for
    digital adaptive beamforming.
    C.R. Ward, P.J. Hargrave, and J.G. McWhirter                  
5.  Systolic Kalman Filtering based on QR Decomposition
    K Yao
6.  A Systolic Architecture for Extended Kalman Filtering
    Ralph Fabrizio and Douglas Wood
7.  A Unified Systolic Array Architecture for the Luk QRD and SVD algorithms
    Cynthia Anfinson and Barry Drake  
8.  Convergence of Kogbetliantz methods for computing the SVD
    Sven Hammarling and Vince Fernando
9.  Robust Techniques for Spectral Estimation
    Rao Yarlagadda, James Lansford, Charles Kriel
10. High Resolution Spectrum Estimation 
    James Cadzow
11. Sonar Signal Processing on the SAXPY 1-M Parallel Processor
    S.L. Marple
12. A Signal Subspace Method for Mainlobe Interference Cancellation
    Benjamin Friedlander and Tiejun Shan
13. Adaptive Multiple Signal Classification (MUSIC)
    Daniel Fuhrmann
14. Beamformers with Multiple Linear Constraints 
    Lloyd Griffiths and Kevin Buckley
15. Maximum Likelihood Direction-of-Arrival Estimation for Multiple Narrowband 
    Signals
    Michael Miller and Daniel Fuhrmann
16. Pattern Recognition using the SVD of the Wigner-Ville Distribution
    Boualem Boashash
17. Linear System Description Using Wigner Distribution Functions
    B.V. Kumar
18. Parallel Algorithms for Classification and Clustering
    George Cybenko
19. Approx. of Eigenvector Weights for Inverse Synthetic Aperture Radar (ISAR) 
    Imaging
    Thomas Bronez
20. An Estimation-Theoretic Approach for Imaging Diffuse Radar Targets
    Donald Snyder and Joseph O'Sullivan
21. The Unitary Eigenproblem	
    William Gragg and Lothar Reichel		
22. On the Parallel Solution of Eigenproblems on Multiprocessor Systems
    P.J. Eberlein	
23. On the Equivalence and Convergence of Parallel Jacobi SVD methods
    Franklin Luk and Haesun Park
24. On-line Scheme for Computing Rotation Angles for SVD's
    Milos Ercegovac and Tomas Lang
25. Behavior of Generalized Singular Value Solvers in the Face of 
    Ill-conditioning
    Charles Van Loan
26. Parallel Computing Research at ISI
    David Mizell
27. Fast Fourier Transform Algorithm for Two-dimensional Array of Processors
    Greg Nash, Wojtek Przytula and Siegfried Hansen
28. Cumulants: A Powerful Tool in Signal Processing
    Georgios B. Giannakis
29. Signal Processing Applications of Functional Equations
    Jeffrey Speiser
30. Warp: a supercomputer for signal processing
    H.T. Kung
31. The Connection Machine: a versatile, high performance computer
    for advanced signal processing
    Lennart Johnsson
32. SLAPP: a special purpose multiprocessor array for signal processing
    and linear algebra 
    Jerry Symanski
33. An Algorithmically Specialized Multiprocessor: MOSAIC
    Frank Lin, Yul Inn, John Shen and Phil Kuekes
34. Concurrent Error Detection in VLSI Processor Arrays
    Roger Chen and Jacob Abraham

------------------------------

Mail-From: GOLUB created at 10-Mar-87 23:25:12
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 87 13:45:51 EST
From: [email-masked] (G. W. Stewart)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Gatlinburg.
ReSent-Date: Tue 10 Mar 87 23:25:10-PST
ReSent-From: Gene H. Golub  <[email-masked]>
ReSent-To: [email-masked]

Gene:

Will you please distribute the following announcement via
your net.  Thanks.

Pete
____________________

March 9, 1987

Dear Colleague:

     This  letter  concerns  Gatlinburg  X.   I  have   just
returned  from  seven  weeks  in  China  to find unfavorable
reviews of the meeting.  This was not  entirely  unexpected.
Even  as  early  as Gatlinburg VII, some reviewers were sug-
gesting that the meetings were outdated, and much  the  same
happened  when  we  attempted to get US money for Gatlinburg
IX.  The principal objections are to closed meetings with no
conference proceedings.  Even some members of the Gatlinburg
committee, including  me,  feel  that  the  number  of  good
researchers in numerical algebra has grown so large that any
small meeting must exclude many worthy people.

     Nonetheless, something as good as Gatlinburg should not
a  be  abandoned. I have conferred by phone with some of the
committee and they agree that we  should  try  to  hold  the
meeting  anyway, with a registration fee to cover incidental
expenses.  Many good meetings have been successfully  organ-
ized  this  way.   I  would also propose that the meeting be
expanded somewhat.  People would still be evaluated  on  the
basis  of  a  short vita and an extended abstract, but there
would be no arbitrary cut-off.

     The main question is whether the attendance under these
circumstances  will  justify  holding  the meeting.  To find
out, I am extending the deadline for applying to  attend  to
April 15.  If you apply, I will interpret as saying that you
intend to come if your are invited.  I  would  appreciate  a
quick  note from those of you who have already applied, say-
ing whether you can come unsupported.  (To help you  make  a
decision,  a  shared room at Fairfield Glade is about thirty
five dollars.)

     I am enclosing the original announcement of the meeting
for anyone who missed it.

Sincerely,

Pete Stewart

             **********************************

                The Tenth Gatlinburg Meeting
                    on Numerical Algebra

     The Tenth Gatlinburg Meeting will be  held  during  the
week  of  October  4, 1987 at Fairfield Glade, Tennessee and
will be dedicated to the memory of J. H. Wilkinson,  one  of
the  preeminent numerical analysts of our time.  The confer-
ence is an international meeting of experts in the field  of
numerical  algebra.  The format of the meeting is a sequence
of invited papers  during  the  day  and  special  workshops
organized  by  the  participants  in  the evening.  Although
there is no formal  program,  it  has  been  traditional  to
emphasize  one or two topics.  For this meeting they will be
the parallel numerical  linear  algebra  and  the  numerical
treatment of large Markov chains.

     The meeting is being organized by Robert  Ward  of  Oak
Ridge  National  Laboratory and G. W. Stewart of the Univer-
sity of Maryland, with the guidance of the  Gatlinburg  com-
mittee.  The SIAM Activity Group on Linear Algebra is a cos-
ponsor of the meeting.

     The nature of the conference requires that  the  atten-
dance be limited.  However, the organizing committee invites
all qualified persons to apply to attend.   The  application
should consist of a vita and an extended abstract (about two
pages) of a paper you would present if you were asked.   The
latter  item  is  especially  important, since the committee
will use the abstracts in planning  the  program.   Material
should be sent to

                       G. W. Stewart
               Department of Computer Science
                   University of Maryland
                College Park, Maryland 20742
                            USA

before April 15, 1987.

------------------------------

Mail-From: GOLUB created at 10-Mar-87 23:33:47
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 87 22:13:11 cst
From: [email-masked] (Paul Messina)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re:  announcement
ReSent-Date: Tue 10 Mar 87 23:33:46-PST
ReSent-From: Gene H. Golub  <[email-masked]>
ReSent-To: [email-masked]

Gene,

Did you receive the announcement of my new job for posting
on NA-net?  I sent it last Friday (March 6).  I enclose it below
in case it got lost.

Paul
---------------------------------------------------------------
Gene,

Here is an announcement of my move for the NA distribution.

Paul
--------------
I will be leaving Argonne, where I have been Director of the
Mathematics  and Computer Science Division, on March 11th to
take a position at the California  Institute  of  Technology
effective  March  24th.   Hans Kaper has agreed to be Acting
Division Director until a permanent replacement is found.  A
national search will be conducted to find a new MCS Division
Director.

At Caltech I will be Project Manager of the Caltech  Initia-
tive in Supercomputing.  I will be responsible for

     Setting up a supercomputing facility for the  Institute
     that  will  initially be built around a 1024 node NCUBE
     and other internal and  commercial  hypercubes  with  a
     peak  performance of around one gigaflop.  The ultimate
     goal of the initiative is "To develop the  Supercomput-
     ing  Facility  of  Future" including software tools and
     major  scientific   breakthroughs   enabled   by   such
     machines.   The hardware goal is 10-50 Gflop machine in
     1990 timeframe.  This  goal  will  require  large-scale
     concurrent  machines;  the initiative will use the most
     attractive architecture available at  that  time.   The
     research component of initiative will include comparis-
     ons of various concurrent supercomputer architectures.

My new address is:

     Paul Messina
     California Institute of Technology
     Mail Code 158-79
     Pasadena, California 91125

     netmail: [email-masked]
     office phone: (818) 356-3732

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------