From: "Marc Snir" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 93 08:33:45 EST

*************** Referenced Note ***************

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 93 13:20:05 GMT
From: L J Clarke <[email-masked]>
Subject: document of March 15
To: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Hi all

I just got back from a session of leave and customer visits, and what a
lovely lot of email I find!

I read the document of March 15, "Point to Point Communication", by Marc
Bill and Rusty.

I suggest that we delete certain sections of this document as they are
not within the remit of the point-to-point subcommittee.  This material
is:

a) Much of section 1.2 and in particular from "List of handles" to end
of section 1.2.4, as it is the remit of the bindings subcommittee to
make proposals to the committee on the subject of bindings.

b) Much of section 1.4 and in particular from beginning to end of
section 1.4.1 as it is the remit of the contexts subcommittee to make
proposals to the committee on the subject of contexts.

Comments? Flames??

>>> The sections on language objects and on context need to be moved
>>> to a general introduction in the final document.  The section on
>>> context should be construed as my proposal to the context committee
>>> and should be discussed in this subcommittee.  The section(s) on
>>> language objects identifies which objects are used by the point to
>>> point communication functions.   The comments on their actual
>>> embodiment in Fortran and C should be construed as my proposal to the
>>> language binding subcommittee and should be discussed there.   I
>>> willfully trespassed in my document, in order to provide a fuller
>>> view and speed up the process.
>>> I shall be happy to see this text replaced by a more elaborate
>>> proposal once the relevant subcommittees catch up.

Best Wishes
Lyndon

>>> Marc

         /--------------------------------------------------------\
    e||) | Lyndon J Clarke    Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre | e||)
    c||c | Tel: 031 650 5021  Email: [email-masked]  | c||c
         \--------------------------------------------------------/