Subject: Re: Message Passing Interface Forum

From: Jack Dongarra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 92 15:48:17 -0500

---------- Begin Forwarded Message ----------
>From @ibm.liv.ac.uk:[email-masked] Mon Dec 14 07:20:05 1992
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 92 12:16:10 GMT
From: "Dr. C.D. Wright" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Message Passing Interface Forum
To: [email-masked]
Status: RO

Hi.

Since I am in the UK it is clear that I can't actively participate
in the MPI Forum.  I do, however, have one particular problem with
every comms library I have used so far that I would like to see
addressed in any new "standard", and I hope you can pass this on to
whoever is the appropriate person to deal with it.

In many packages such as PVM, PARMACS, p4, etc, it is possible to
probe for and/or receive messages selectively, the selection being
based on the message type (usually in integer) and/or the sender.
This is overly restrictive.  It would be far more useful if the
message's format were sufficiently well defined for the user to be
able to provide their own selection function to be passed in and
used as the basis for reception and/or probing.

That's it.  Hope you can do something with this gripe/suggestion.

Colin.
----------- End Forwarded Message -----------

---

From: [email-masked] (Anthony Skjellum)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 92 16:30:03 PST

That is what we have been talking about in Zipcode for a long time.
- Tony