Subject: point to point section draft

From: [email-masked] (Marc Snir)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 94 19:09:22 -0500

-:) -:) -:) -:) -:)

Next message will contain the psotscript for the point to point
section as is now.  I have included most (but not all!) corrections
and suggestions that were sent to me.  This is the last version I
shall circulate before the Europe meeting next week.

I made changes to correct mistakes and make
clarifications/interpretations.  I have indicated in discussions
possible alternatives.
Significant changes and points for discussions are indicated by
margin signs.  Note, in particular:

pg 7 -- summary of discussion that went over the net about
MPI_GET_COUNT and related functions.

pg 11 -- two proposals on how to deal with FORTRAN characters.

pg 21 and elsewhere -- argument STATUS is always required in calls
to MPI_WAIT and related calls (because CANCEL may use it).
also, MPI_WAIT, MPI_TEST are changed to well-behave when passed a
null request.

pg 27 -- a proposal of Salmon and Edelsohn to replace array of
request in WAITALL and related calls by an opaque object that
represents a set of requests.  Elegance and performance, at the
expense of an additional object and additional implementation work.

pg 36 -- some clarification on the behavior of WAIT, WAITALL when
passed a persistent handle with no active communication.

I droped the last section which was no part of MPI.