Subject: Re: Envelope

From: [email-masked] (Anne C. Elster)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 93 16:22:12 -0400

>> From: [email-masked] (David Walker)
>
>> IMHO, the word "envelope" should not be used (as a noun) anywhere in
>> the specification of the MPI draft. MPI does not define an envelope data
>> object, so an envelope is just an unecessary abstraction.
>
>Hmmm, maybe.  I think we definitely need some sort of collective name for
>those fields in the message that are not the data, though. 
> ....  People often speak of a "message header" - maybe we should
>just have a header, and data, where the header contains source, destination,
>tag and context fields?

I second that we rename our "envelopes" the more commonly used terms
"message headers", "header info.", and "header field", wherever appropriate.
I remember finding the term "envelope" a little confusing myself the
first time I heard it used -- which indeed was in connection with MPI.

						Anne

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anne C. Elster			   |  (607) 254-8653 [off]   255-6236 [FAX]
School of Electrical Engineering   |  (607) 272-2986 [home/answ.mach]
Cornell University, 351 Theory Ctr.|
Ithaca, NY 14853		   |   e-mail:  [email-masked]
USA				   |	        [email-masked]