Re: Possible segfault issue in alpha GOTO

Greetings, and thanks for the reply!  Not completely sure yet, but so
far, compiling the libs with full default optimization options, but
the testers with -O at most, seems to work.

R Clint Whaley <rwhaley@cs.utk.edu> writes:

> Since I've never built a dynamically linked lib in my life, I'm not sure
> I can be of great help here.  Goto provides a performance patch for ATLAS
> (I have never scoped it out, just found it today).  It's not a bug fix, but
> it does change the way memory is used by his routines.  You might give it
> a scope:
>    http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/kgoto/performance_tips_for_atlas.html

Thanks!  I might apply this, but later.  Interesting that small
matrices were involved -- that is where my problem showed too.

> >Here is what I know so far:
> >1) Compiling and testing ev4 config with gcc/g77 2.95 -- check
> >	(i.e. no GOTO assembler, xdl3blastst dynamically linked)
> >
> >2) Compiling and testing ev5 config with gcc/g77 2.95 -- fail
> >	(i.e. with GOTO assembler, xdl3blastst dynamically linked)
> >
> >3) Compiling and testing ev5 config with gcc/g77 2.95
> >	and xdl3blastst statically linked  -- check
> >
> >4) Compiling and testing ev5 config with gcc/g77 2.95
> >	and xdl3blastst has only one of reference blas and libatlas
> >	dynamically linked  -- check
> >
> >5) Compiling and testing ev5 config with gcc/g77 2.95
> >	with xdl3blastst having both  reference blas and libatlas
> >	dynamically linked  using g77-3.0  -- fail
>
> >6) Compiling and testing ev5 config with gcc/g77 2.95
> >	with xdl3blastst having both  reference blas and libatlas
> >	dynamically linked and statically linking libg2c.a from
> >	2.95.4 tree using either gcc-3.0 or g77-3.0  -- check
>
> Again, I'm not the guy here, but doesn't 5-6 indicate it is a gcc/g77 version
> difference causing the problem?

Well, not completely.  Neither version works by itself -- combining
libg2c.a from one with the linker from the other managed to work, but
I think this is an artifact arising from random memory/data/text
arrangement in the executable.

Take care,