RE: SSE Level 3 drop in gemm

From owner-atlas-comm@cs.utk.edu Sat Sep 23 22:23:18 2000
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 13:21:11 +1100
From: Doug ABERDEEN <daa@discus.anu.edu.au>
To: atlas-comm@cs.utk.edu
Subject: RE: SSE Level 3 drop in gemm

Doug,

>I've (finally) found the time to finish adding my SSE sgemm into ATLAS
>as a drop in kernel. Atlas timing says it runs up to 2.39 time faster
>than ATLAS when it's computing the cross over points. Two questions:

Great news!  I was hoping we'd have some L3 SSE stuff before release . . .
Is it a kernel or a complete GEMM implementation?  I'm not sure from the
info below . . .

>It compiles fine using the documented instructions for forcing
>compilation, but it doesn't seem to automatically detect it during a
>normal compilation. For this to work I am guessing all I need to do is
>add the correct UMMdir definition to ATLAS/Make.<arch> before starting the
>./make arch=<arch> install? There is an ATLAS/makes/Make.goto. Do I
>need one of these?

Depends on whether you've got a kernel or a GEMM replacement.  For a kernel,
you shouldn't need to fool with all this stuff. . . .

>2) What's the best way to send in the changes? Complete tar file, tar
>file with the changes, patch file?

I like a tarfile with just your codes best . . .

Thanks,
Clint